• Published 23rd Nov 2011
  • 7,972 Views, 64 Comments

Pinkiemania - Apocalypse Pony



The greatest foe lies within the self.

  • ...
0
 64
 7,972

Face Your Fears

A/N: Special thanks to Earthrise for honorable mention in Wings, and to Wheller for threatening motivation!

Pinkie Pie’s newfound talent for celebrations and bringing good cheer had done a considerable amount of good for the Pie family. Everypony was in a generally better mood, and Pinkie’s eccentric personality made it near impossible to maintain a straight face around her. The only downside was the work Pinkie began to skip out on in favor of preparing parties, which meant Clyde and Sue had to repeatedly remind her to get back to work in the fields. On top of that, they honestly had no idea where she found supplies for her weekly parties; as far as they knew, she may as well have galloped the five miles to the not-so-nearby town of Hoofington just for party favors.

A week after Pinkie’s momentous event of obtaining her cutie mark, a letter arrived in the mail from their grandmother, stating that she planned on visiting within the month. The week before her arrival was spent tidying up the house and preparing the guest room. What took up the most of her mother’s time, however, was taming Pinkie Pie’s unruly bush of a mane.

“Pinkamena, I honestly have no idea what you’ve done to your mane to make it this uncontrollable!” complained Sue. Each time she ran the heated pressing comb through her hair, it descended into a pink waterfall for a second before suddenly exploding into a clustered mess. The most she was able to do was tame all the rogue single strands into a single wild mass of what may as well be called cotton candy.

“Its not uncontrollable, maybe it it just has a mind of its own!”, Pinkie giggled as she hopped off the stool and began jumping about the kitchen, her wild mane bouncing in time with her hopping.”I can’t believe Granny Pie’s coming to see us again! She always brings all kinds of goodies and she’s so much fun!”. The excited pink pony continued to hop in circles until her mother ushered her up the stairs. As Pinkie went into her room and resumed jumping, this time on her bed, Sue stood in the doorway of her room.

“Now now, calm down Pinkamena. She will arrive tomorrow, and I’m sure you don’t want to be too tired to see her arrive, do you?”. Pinkie abruptly stopped jumping and landed back on the floor as her mother trotted to her room and shut the door.

“Nighty-night mom!”

Pinkie Pie’s room was rather simple, with a turquoise oval rug in the center of the floor, a low standing bed with red covers and a short bergundy dresser beside it were in the upper left corner of the room, under the only window in the room. Atop the nightstand was a mounted candle for light, illuminating a portion of the room with a soft glow. In the opposite corner was a slightly taller dresser, a varnished dark brown one containing a few saddles and clothing for whenever it got cold, or when the family left the house and wanted to look presentable. As for the floor and walls, they were a dark, unpolished wood paneling that creaked as soon as anypony set hoof upon them.

Pinkie grasped the covers with her teeth and pulled back, getting into bed and then blowing out the candle. Her thoughts were occupied with Granny Pie’s arrival tomorrow. She always brought a small wagon full of baked goods, from pies to cupcakes, and muffins to pastries. It always seemed like she had an endless bounty of stories to tell about her bakery, as well as moments from her fillyhood.

As much as Pinkie enjoyed her company, there were a few oddities about her that she never got answers for. For one, she always wore a small turquoise quilt over her back, and she made an effort of always keeping it on in the presence of her or her sisters. On top of that there was the constant tension that seemed to be between her and Pinkie Pie’s mother; Sue never made any attempts to make conversation with her unless it was necessary to evade suspicion. Not to mention what little dialogue between the two went fast and to the point. Maybe it had something to do with her being on Clyde’s side of the family.

As Pinkie’s eyes traced about the room and her mind drifted to other topics, the clouds outside the window began to turn black and swell with water. It was the typical routine for the winter months; they knew pegasi were scheduling rain as well as thunder and lighting, which Pinkie Pie paid no mind to. At the moment her thoughts bumbled about random topics, currently wondering about what was for dinner tomorrow. Rain began tapping on the window, speckling the light that came through it, as the sound of a suddenly heavy shower surrounded the walls, as well as thunder sounding from outside. The pink pony only was nearly lulled to sleep by the downpour, and as her eyelids began to shut, a flash of lightning illuminated a small figure sitting at the other end of the on the bed.

Pinkie quickly sat upward and awake, panicked at the sight of somepony else in the room, but as she scanned the space in front of and under her bed, she saw nothing there. Her eyes trailed down to the floor and locked onto the small square of dim light being projected from the window. As soon as the next bolt of lightning struck, a shadow of a pony appeared in the square, causing her to jump back in fright.

Now she was utterly terrified. Both times the shadow appeared they were from a position that would indicate that the pony was sitting on the bed Pinkie was on, so this time, Pinkie Pie kept her gaze forward, looking down the length of the bed on to the wall. She didn’t blink, fearing she may miss whatever was giving her the fright.

KRA-KOWWW

Suddenly Pinkamena appeared nose to nose in front of her with a wide malicious grin and constricted pupils, then disappeared with a following flash of light. Pinkie let out a high pitched shriek and immediately pushed herself away and to the wall with a loud thump that reverberated throughout the house. Pinkie Pie held a hoof to her chest as she hyperventilated while the sound of urgent hoofsteps approaching her door became louder.

A gray hoof pushed the door open groggily, it was one of her older sisters, Blinky. Her name wasn’t actually Blinky, it was just that Pinkie preferred calling her that. At least that’s Pinkie’s way to hide the fact that she’s honestly forgotten her sister’s actual name.

“Pinkie Pie! What’s the matter with you? Ponies are actually trying to sleep ya know!” Blinky glared at her as Pinkie stuttered for an answer.

“I-she...she was on the bed and...” Pinkie looked about the room with a panicked expression as she struggled for an explanation.

“Who was on the bed Pinkie, who?”

“It...it was me! I saw me and she was scary and and....” Pinkie sighed and stared at the floor, giving up on trying to explain what had just happened.

Blinky facehoofed. “This is exactly why we don’t like giving you sweets before bed! Just count sheep or somethin, but keep it down!”. She huffed and closed the door, returning to her room.

Pinkie was hurt. It wasn’t the fact that her sister didn’t believe a word to come out of her mouth, it was the fact that she had no logical way to explain the pony who was so dead-set on harassing her.

As soon as she turned her head to look at the covers of her bed, Pinkamena appeared with yet another flash of lightning, and disappeared with the next.

Pinkie Pie flinched and sighed. She slid herself back under her covers and stared at the ceiling.

She would get no sleep that night.