• Published 22nd Dec 2015
  • 860 Views, 0 Comments

A Knight in Saddle Arabia - Nocturn Dreamwrite



A Saddle Arabian My Little Pony story. Down south in Saddle Arabia, an Arabian Princess finds herself lost on the Low Side of town. Only with the help of a tinker and his assistant can she escape the Viper, and return home.

  • ...
 0
 860

Chapter 1: An Arranged Life

A Knight in Saddle Arabia

By: Nocturn Dreamwrite

Chapter 1: An Arranged Life


Sandy Pipe the tinker and his assistant Butter Hooves were walking through the streets of Saddle Arabia pulling their cart behind them. Sandy was a brown earth pony with a yellow mane and tail and Butter was a yellow pegasus with a blue mane and tail. They were both Equestrian ponies. Sandy’s cutie mark was a pipe (a thin wooden flute-like instrument held forward like a clarinet) surrounded by twirling sand and musical notes. Butter’s cutie mark was a stick of butter on a serving plate. It was another sunny day, and the two ponies were that morning looking for any piece of junk or scrap thrown away or lying around that they could collect. They had just departed the market place and were entering the High Street, the neighborhood home to the richest and most prominent ponies of Saddle Arabia and the Royal Palace of the Maharaja himself. There usually wasn’t anything to be found here, but today was their lucky day.

“Hey look,” said Sandy, “That looks like something. See what it is will you Butter.”

“Yes, Master,” said Butter as he unharnessed himself and went to investigate. He picked up the object and in brought it to Sandy.
Although Sandy was the owner of the house-shop they worked and lived it, he had told Butter that it was all right for him to call him by his name. They were friends after all, but Butter insisted on calling him ‘Master.’
“Here it is master,” said Butter as she brought the object to Sandy in his hoof, “It’s a… opps!” he said as he accidentally dropped it. This was an unfortunate habit for him, but thankfully, the object wasn’t breakable.

“Sorry Master,” said Butter, “It’s just a spoon though.”

“That’s all right,” said Sandy, “Throw it in the cart.”

Butter did so and reharnessed himself. “All ready, let’s go Master.”

Sandy, however, didn’t move. He was staring up at the top of the palace walls lost in thought.

“Master?” asked Butter.

“Have you ever wondered,” asked Sandy, “What’s on the other side of that wall? I sure would like to take a look.”

“Yeah,” said Butter, “Who wouldn’t, but you might as well forget it Master. Ponies like you and I will never get to be beyond that wall, and all we’re ever lucky to see is whenever the Maharaja or the Maharani stand on the balcony and wave, and don’t even think about meeting the princess.”

“I know, Said Sandy, “but it sure is nice to think about it all.”

“We’d better go Master,” said Butter.

“Yes, you’re right,” answered Sandy as he turned his gaze back to the road ahead. “We’ll finish here, then we’ll go through the tourist sector, and then head for home.”

“Yes, Master”, said Butter, as the cart began to move.

Sandy rolled his eyes and smiled. He couldn’t have asked for a better friend than Butter.
. . .

Princess Felicity looked at herself in the mirror. As a princess she was expected to wear her royal regalia to distinguish herself from other ponies. She usually didn’t mind, since she liked most of what she wore. On her hooves, she wore four matching golden slippers. On her right fore leg, she wore a gold bracelet with tiny bells, as well as a gold anklet ring on her right hind leg. Around her torso, the blue, unicorn princess wore a sash which displayed the royal insignia of Saddle Arabia. Around her neck, was a pearl necklace, and a large, golden collar with diamonds imbedded in it. In Equestria, princesses wore crowns or tiaras on their heads. In Saddle Arabia the custom for princesses was to wear a collar. In both her yellow and white mane and tail (which were both neatly groomed and fluffed just a little like she liked them) there was a diamond hair pin with a red plume rising above it. All this Felicity liked, but what she didn’t like was the muzzle veil she had to wear. Ever since she reached the age of courtship, she was required to wear the veil over her nose and mouth. It often got in her way, and she really didn’t see any real reason to wear it. After all, in the last hundred years, most mares in Saddle Arabia and stopped wearing them, and could show their faces, but she was required to wear one because she was a princess. Felicity looked at her face and sighed.

“Oh well,” said Felicity, “Another day.” She then left her chambers and went to take a walk in the palace garden. Once she was out amidst the flowers though, her spirit rose, and she smiled. She usually had little to do in the morning, and this was where she was happiest. Her cutie mark, was in fact, a desert rose. She soon reached the fountain and found a comfortable place to sit on its edge. She stretched her body along the fountain’s edge with her head resting on one hoof while the other she let dip the surface of the flowing water. She watched the water for a while, and then turned her gaze up to the wall not far from her. “What was on the other side?” she wondered. It was certainly a mystery to her. Her instructors had told her what was out there in the world, and what the common ponies were like, but she wanted to see it for herself. Occasionally one of the palace servants would tell her some news, but she wanted to know more. It was while she was thinking about all of this when a servant mare approached her.

“Excuse me, Princess,” said the servant mare with a bow.

Felicity turned her attention to the mare. “Yes, Faith,” she asked. She called all the palace servants by their name. Faith in particular was practically her lady-in-waiting, and her best friend. Is some ways, Faith was even like a big sister to her as she cared so much for her.
“Princess,” continued the mare, “The Maharaja, your father, wishes for your presence at once in the throne room.”

“Very well, said Felicity as she rose from the fountain. “Thank you, Faith.”

Felicity wondered what her father would want to talk to her about as she walked briskly through the palace halls. There was a good chance that it was something important, since he wanted to see her in the throne room. She soon arrived at the closed rooms of the throne room and knocked lightly. Being a mare, she wasn’t allowed to just open the door and walk in. “Enter,” said a voice. Felicity knew it was her father’s. She pushed the door open stepped inside, closed the door behind her, then stood facing the throne at the other end of the room. On the throne sat her father, Maharaja Sphinx, and on his right hoof sat her mother, Oasis the Maharani on a pillow. When Sphinx saw his daughter he smiled approvingly. “Come forward.” he said. Felicity advanced as quickly and as gracefully as she could. When she was before the throne she bowed low to the ground. “Arise,” said Sphinx. Felicity did so, and noticed that her father was motioning for her to sit beside him at his left. Felicity did so, but kept her full attention on her father.

“Felicity,” Sphinx began. “Your mother and I have just received great news. I recently wrote a letter to Princesses Celestia and Luna of Equestria sending my best wishes and to inquire if their nephew Prince Blueblood was still available so that relations between our two countries could be improved. We last saw him when we were invited to attend the Equestrian Games in the Crystal Empire.”

Felicity’s eyes widened. “Oh no!” she said to herself.

“Princess Celestia’s reply,” continued Sphinx was that he is still available, and she and Princess Luna have both agreed to send him down to our land to begin courtship with you.”

Felicity’s mouth dropped open.

“I’ve already arranged it all,” said Sphinx. “In two days Prince Blueblood will be with us, and two weeks after, you will be married.”

Felicity’s face showed sheer horror. Oasis, unlike Sphinx, took note of this, and gave her husband a concerned nudge.

“Does this not please you,” asked Sphinx. Since Felicity had been asked a question, she now had permission to speak.

“Father?” Felicity asked. “You want me to marry Prince Blueblood?”

“Yes, of course,” said Sphinx, “He is a prince, and well suited for you.”

“But father,” said Felicity, “I have heard horrible things about him. I’ve heard that he’s the worst prince in all of Equestria, and that he courts mares with disrespect.”

“Oh, that’s just nonsense,” said Sphinx, “Pure gossip. Just some tall tails about spilled punch or something I’m sure.”

“But father,” said Felicity, she paused. She gathered her strength and said “I don’t want to marry him.”

Sphinx looked as though he’d been hit by a cannon. He couldn’t believe that his daughter had just said that. He stared hard at her, and then composed himself. “Nonsense,” he declared ignoring what his daughter had said, “You will marry Prince Blueblood.”

“Please, father,” said Felicity. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes. “I do not wish to.”

“Daughter,” said Sphinx a bit harshly. “Mares and fillies do as they are told, not as they wish, and you will do the same. That is the custom of our land, and as been for over 1,000 years.”

“No, Father, please!” begged Felicity.

“You will do this!” said Sphinx, trying to ignore her.

“But…” began Felicity.

“Enough!” roared Sphinx. “We will speak no more of this, now be gone from my sight!”

Felicity didn’t have to be told twice. She ran toward the door and away from her father sobbing. She couldn’t hold it in anymore. She opened the door and fled down the hall.

Back in the throne room, Sphinx let out a deep breath. He felt terrible for raising his voice at his beloved daughter. He couldn’t believe he had just sent her away in tears. He settled back in his throne and sighed. Oasis put her hoof sympathetically on his. He looked at his wife. His face showed his concern. Had he done the right thing? He felt discouraged, but 1,000 years of tradition told him to forge ahead anyway, and he would do so.