• Published 23rd Dec 2015
  • 366 Views, 2 Comments

Conflict of Embers and Souls - Lord of Flies



Threatened with destruction by a warrior race from outside their borders, can the undertrained forces of the United Tribes save their home?

  • ...
 2
 366

Prologue: The Lord Soul

33 After Unity (AU)

Canterlot, the capital of United Equestria

The Slums

A pegasus mare walked down a cobblestone road, drawing quick glances or sharp glares of anger from the ponies she passed. The mare, with light grey fur, rose eyes, and white hair and tail, was out of place in the Slums, where the poor of Canterlot resided. Wearing finely tailored clothes, she was a noble.

However, even the merchants in the rest of Canterlot could not get their hands on all of the exotic and rare items that some nobles demanded. In the event that a noble wanted to acquire an item that weren’t available through the merchants, they were guaranteed to find it in the Slums, being offered at a high price. But, when a pony has enough money to live among the nobles, price is of little importance.

Shaking her head to clear away her thoughts, the mare pushed open the door to a blacksmith’s shop. The blacksmith, busily working away at his anvil, snapped his head up to look at his visitor. “Ah,” he said, “a noble!”

The pegasus smiled. The blacksmith finished the sword he was working on, and placed the weapon in a bucket of water to cool the red-hot metal. He rushed over and extended a clawed hand. Taking the griffon’s hand, the pegasus said, “Thank you for your kindness.”

Having shook hands, the griffon waved a hand dismissively, “‘Tis nothing. My people are raised to respect nobility, be it griffon, pony, or otherwise.”

The pegasus nodded. “So,” the griffon prompted, “what brings you here?”

“I need ten pieces of Twinkling Titanite, a small bag of Green Titanite Shards, a bag of White Titanite Chunks, and a White Titanite Slab.”

The griffon smiled in understanding, “Making a divine weapon, eh?”

The pegasus nodded in response. “I have already acquired the embers required to ascend the weapon to divine.”

“I see,” the griffon smith said, “I’ll be right back with those materials.”

The mare brushed a lock of hair back into place and walked over to the sword that sat in the water bucket. Pulling it out, she inspected the weapon. The blade was straight to start, but curved as to resemble a sickle. “Ah,” she said, recognizing the weapon, “a khopesh.”

“Indeed!”

The gravelly voice of the griffon smith replied, “A noble ordered that weapon.”

“Really?”

“Yep. No idea why, but when you’re paid well for your work, who cares?”

“True.”

The griffon handed the mare a pack, and the mare handed the griffon the sword. Opening the pack, the mare was surprised to see a trio of dragon scales resting on the white titanite slab. “Why are there scales in here?”

“They’re in there free of charge. If you’re going to purchase such expensive items, I might as well include some more exotic ones.”

The mare nodded, acknowledging the wisdom in such an action. “How much?”

“Two platinum pieces.”

The mare, having prepared for such a purchase, handed over the two coins.

The smith inspected the coins, ensuring that they were genuine. He smiled, and said, “Enjoy your purchase and have a nice day.”

“And you as well.”

The mare turned to leave the shop and pulled open the door. She froze as a chill ran up her spine, ruffling the feathers of her wings. There was only one pony she knew of that wielded a khopesh-like sword. Her father.

She left the shop, feeling dread all the way out of the Slums.

****

“Mother! I’m home!”

An older pegasus mare rushed over to her daughter and hugged her, “Hailstorm! You’re safe!”

Hailstorm smiled, noticing the feeling of dread dissipate, and hugged her mother. “Of course I am. Pansy’s trained me well in the art of the sword. ‘Sides, I don’t go anywhere without a shortsword on me.”

Her mother chuckled, “You’re just like your father.”

Hailstorm watched the smile fade from the older mare’s face. “Just like him…”

Hailstorm sighed, painfully aware of how saddening memories of her father were on her mother.

************

Meanwhile…

Village in the Western Deserts

“Lord Cyclone!”

The white-haired pegasus looked up from his work. “Yes?”

“We’ve found something! Something from the Inferno Empire!”

Cyclone bolted upright, knocking his chair away from him. The chair broke against the floor. Wings flaring, Cyclone commanded, “Show me.”

The smaller figure, a jackalope, nodded in fearful obedience.

***

The sound of boots clanking against the stones in the ancient temple alerted the group of jackalopes to the approach of their ruler. Face contorted in anger, fire in his rose eyes, wings flared out behind him, making him appear much larger than he was.

Cyclone stared at the jackalopes, who were standing around something. They moved aside to allow the stallion access to the object they were crowded around.

A small metal box sat partially obscured by debris. Grabbing the box, the pegasus smiled. “Oh,” he observed, feeling the power emanating from the box, “this is wonderful.”

Removing the top of the box, what Cyclone saw made him smile. A brightly glowing crystal rested inside the box. “What is it?”

Cyclone looked at the jackalope who asked and responded, “This? This crystal contains a Lord Soul.”

“A Lord Soul?”

“Something of unimaginable power…”

Taking a hold of the crystal, Cyclone tossed the rest of the box away. Crushing the crystal in his hand, the pegasus felt as the power of the Lord Soul wound its way into his body, eventually fusing with his soul.

Pain soon erupted in his forehead, causing him to groan in pain and place a hand upon his forehead, falling to his knees. “Lord Cyclone?”

The pegasus looked up at the jackalope who asked the question. He smiled, and inquired, noticing an echo in his voice, “Yes?”

“Are you alright?”

The smile Cyclone wore became wider, more sinister. “Oh, yes. Don’t worry, I am quite fine.”

The jackalopes sighed in relief. “And I’ll be even better once I’ve disposed of you fools.”

The jackalopes all froze in fear.

Screams soon echoed throughout the temple.

************

Meanwhile…

??????

A golden armored figure sat on its knees, praying. Another figure entered the prayer chamber, pushing the door open slowly, out of reverence for the chamber. The figure, clad in silver armor, tilted its armored head down at the golden figure, evidently waiting for it to finish praying.

The praying figure rose from its prayer, and turned around, fixing its steel blue gaze on the silver figure. It inquired, a questioning tone in its rich voice, "Yes, knight?"

"Captain," the silver knight responded, "the Dark Sun requests your presence. It is a matter of great urgency."

The Captain nodded. "Very well, return to your duties."

"Yes, Captain."

The silver knight left. The Captain frowned. The Dark Sun rarely requested its presence, preferring to be in the company of her Legionaries.

Sighing, the Captain pulled on its helmet, picked up its spear and left the prayer chamber, closing the door behind it.

Author's Note:

If you have any suggestions, feedback, concerns, or want to ask me any questions, leave them in the comments below. Thanks!