• Published 21st Dec 2015
  • 1,984 Views, 36 Comments

Falling Out Of Love - GivingSpider



It's like falling in love except it hits you with more force and it's harder to talk about.

  • ...
5
 36
 1,984

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Just a short nothing that felt like a waste to delete.


Characters used here are the property of their respective owners.

-



Discord sighed heavily as he looked at the vapors rising from his tea cup. He noticed how the light hit the surface of the cup and reflected onto the table. Such small details didn't really matter though; all they were to him was a distraction. He took a slow breath and one of his eyes turned to see Fluttershy. She was on the other end of the sofa; also looking at her untouched tea. He could feel the pain seeping from her eyes but only because he felt it as well. She sniffed silently and as she turned to look at him his eye quickly returned to his own tea.

He couldn't see vapors anymore. Time just slipped away from him as he thought. He was starting to wish that he had said nothing. Part of him wanted to turn the clock and take it back. If he never said anything then she might not have said anything either. They would be smiling and sipping tea. They might be talking about something pleasant. The Draconequus paused in his thoughts and sighed. The fact that he had said nothing earlier was part of why they were there in the first place. Discord found himself drawing another slow breath as his claw traced the rim of the cup. Fluttershy paused to see if he was going to say anything and when he didn't she sighed and looked at her cup. She slowly wiped at her eyes and shifted in her seat. Discord glanced at the window for a moment. Maybe they might be talking about something; but it wouldn't have been about them. It hadn't been about them in months. The words exchanged proved that there wasn't much of a 'them' anymore.

"I don't love you anymore."

He sniffed and brought his paw to his face. It hurt to say it. He wished that he didn't say it; but on the other hand he had to say it. He should have said it months ago.

"I know. I don't love you anymore either. It's been a few months since I stopped."

Her words cut him even more than his own did. If he knew she felt that way he would have acted sooner. They could have done something. They could have fought for them. A way might have been found. Something might have been done. He might have done things differently.

He sighed and stopped tracing his claw on the rim of the teacup. Maybe it wouldn't have helped. Maybe they would have just ended up on the couch sooner. The truth was that they just weren't done growing yet. Since his reformation he had changed. Discord grew more as a person. He found reasons to care about others. Cruelty was something he had fallen out of. Fluttershy slowly became more and more confident. She was now fully in charge of her destiny. For a while their roads connected but as they moved along they also moved on. Their hearts just didn't connect anymore.

"Are we still friends?"

His question echoed in his mind with as much fever as everything else that was said. He dreaded asking it but after their mutual confession it had to be said.

"I don't know, Discord.”

The silence that followed lingered for what felt like an eternity. His times trapped in stone felt much better in comparison. In truth he would rather her say he needed to go back. He would rather her be angry with him. Discord slowly wiped his eyes again and wished she would at least raise her voice. If she was angry then at least she would tell him to leave or tell him something wrong that he did. If she got mad she would tell him something that was his fault and he could apologize and fix it.

Discord stared down at his now cold tea. He drew a heavy breath as a realization hit him as hard as their words. There was nothing to fix. There was no problem to solve. There was nothing he did wrong. There was nothing she did wrong. They had simply outgrown each other. Their kisses didn’t mean anything anymore. Her presence didn’t outshine the sun anymore. Her voice didn’t lend him confidence to be a better Draconequus anymore. Not having her in the same room didn’t leave him feeling as alone. Her extended visits with her friends didn’t make him wish he was there. He wondered what little things she gradually stopped noticing. He wondered what simple details just brushed by. Discord wondered how long it was since she truly hugged him.

He took another breath. He wanted to turn the clock back. He wanted to go back to when the hours spent underneath her quilt and in her legs were the highlight of his day. He wanted to go back to how warm it felt to have her nuzzling his chest. All Discord wanted was to hold her in his arms; but now he couldn’t bring himself to even scoot closer. He traced his claw along the edge of his cup again and took a deep breath before saying something for the first time in what felt an eternity.

“Do you want me to leave?”

Without looking at him she gave her answer.

“Yes, Discord. I want you to leave my house. In a few days maybe…maybe we’ll talk then but right now…”

Discord rose to his feet without a word. He walked to the door without turning back. His claw gripped the handle and he slowly turned it. He wanted to turn around. He wanted to go back to the couch. He wanted to scoop her in his arms and hold her until the sun went down.

At the same time; he didn’t want to. He didn’t want to feel her mane on his face. He didn’t want to look into her eyes. Discord didn’t want to stay in the house any longer.

He wanted her friendship but not her love; which was in a way ok since she wasn’t offering it anymore. Discord exited her house without a word. He stepped out into the world beyond. He closed his hands and teleported to the home he abandoned deep in the void between realities.

Discord wept.

Comments ( 35 )

Why would you write this, you heartless monster!? :raritydespair:

(Seriously, though, very well-written, but ... you're still a heartless monster.)

6753155

THIS IS WHY I FOLLOWED THIS GUY.

PAYOFF ACHIEVED.

Comment posted by Dr midnight deleted Dec 30th, 2017

This broke my heart into a million pieces, especially since it implied that they might not even be friends anymore, that they didn't even seem to...feel anything for each other. They're...strangers, it seems.

But hey, the goal was to make it extremely sad, so you did a great job. You always write quite beautifully.

Good thing this is a what if scenario though, because we all know they'd be together forever always always ALWAYS!

I gotta read some fluff now.

I feel like my heart was ripped out and torn to shreds. I read this three hours ago and my emotions are still aching, even when I don't think about how empty Fluttershy and Discord must feel. I think you just affected my whole day with only 1,078 words about fictional characters. That takes some serious skill. I mean, I even went and read a bunch of cute, fluffy Fluttercord, yet I still feel down. That's amazing. You are extremely talented. I don't think a fanfic has ever affected me like this before. In my opinion, this is your best work yet. Don't worry about me: I can only feel like this for so long before I snap out if it.

6753155
6753358
6754260
Thank you for reading:yay:
In my defense, a real monster would have told the story through Screwball's perspective.:fluttershyouch:


6753168
Thanks:twilightblush:


6753399
The two them becoming like total strangers was exactly what I wanted to convey:fluttershyouch:


6754486
Wow...thank you for the high praise
Sorry I hurt you:fluttershysad:

Oh your heartless too! I thought I was the only one! :pinkiehappy:

6755068
:twilightblush:
Thank you for reading:yay:

Okay, I should've known this would hurt just by reading the description. The emptiness they feel between one another, conveyed in only one thousand words, feels so there, and it's pitiful and sad. Ohhh, that hurt. I need fluff to make this pain go away! :raritydespair:

(Great work, though)

6754690 Thank you. That was really sweet and now I feel better. I appreciate it. :pinkiesad2:

6755025 It's alright. I knew it was coming. I knew I would probably end up crying by the end. It also got me in the mood to write my own tragic Fluttercord fanfic, so the pain isn't all bad. In fact, I'm likely to reread the whole thing before bed. I really did like it; it just hurt. And that's not a bad thing at all. :twilightsmile:

6755148
Ah:twilightblush:
Good luck with the fic:yay:

6755157 Thanks. I'll try my best to make it at least half as good as yours.

6755192
Should be an easy mark; this fic doesn't set the bar very high in my opinion. It was rushed out in two hours just because I was feeling quite down:twilightblush:

6755202 Your experience and talent still shines through. I have to say, I am incrediblely nervous about attempting to write and post something. I can't stop thinking about how completely it might fail. :twilightblush:

6755229
Breathe:eeyup:
It takes one of you to write a story. It only takes One hit to the view count to break even.:twilightsmile:
Literally; you can't fail at writing here.
Since you can't possibly lose; there's no pressure. Just do as you will.:eeyup:

6755234 Thank you. That has calmed me immensely. I think I'll just jump in and try. I have to keep in mind that any criticism I get will help me become better. I need to take the risk and see where it goes from there. Do you want me to send you a link when I'm done so you can give your opinion? I fully understand if you don't have time.

6755246
I will make time. It might not be right off; but I will make the time:eeyup:

6755253 Thank you so much! It means a lot to me. :pinkiehappy: Well, I'd better go work on it. See you later!

6753399 The only canon situation when they going to part ways is only after Discord outlive her XD

6755246 Mind if I cut in? I just want to say that I have a feeling your story is going to be quite good. You know your grammar and the biggest thing that turns me away from fics is grammar, and I know you like grammar. And just the fact that you want others to read it before posting means you really care about it. You'll do great, I'm sure of it. I'm certainly going to read and review it.

6756857 Thank you so much! I would greatly value your opinion. :twilightsmile:

holly shit
i really must say this was amazing
i mean i hate fluttercord
i really do
but this was just so very good
hahaha
reallly nice
i liked that !! FAV /)
PS: alternate ending of my imagination:
after Discord stopped showing up in Ponyville to meet up with his friends and to see the Princesses, for several days some of them became worried (either Twilight or Celestia)
he is found sad and alone in his home
and then lots of cuteness, emotions and new found love hehe xDD
DISCOLIGHT AND DISLESTIA OTP!!!!

6757015 ACK THE PAIN :fluttershbad:
You killed my OTP!

6757239 why should my own opinions and likings harm yours ???

6757790 I was joking, I have nothing against your opinion. I actually do understand why people ship dislestia and twicord and hold nothing against your opinion. I'm sorry; I didn't mean any harm. This won't isn't the first time my stupid jokes meant to be friendly were misinterpreted, but that's my mistake.

This story nearly killed me from heartbreak :fluttercry: But it was amazingly written, with emotion and truth to the words :pinkiesmile: Excellent job :pinkiehappy:

6762576
Thank you for reading:yay:

You sir are evil and mean and my eyes got all teary and I was like NOOOOOO dis be my OTP, my one ship and you hath SOILED IT!!!!!

but I still love yu anyway :trollestia:

:ajsleepy::ajsleepy::ajsleepy:
I regret reading this...

You sir...

Just won gold, silver and bronze...

In the ASSHOLE OLYMPICS!!!
:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

8414310
Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing how it made you feel.:eeyup:

Login or register to comment