• Published 24th Dec 2015
  • 3,075 Views, 358 Comments

The Adventuring Type - Cold in Gardez



Rainbow Dash gets bored waiting for monster attacks in Ponyville and decides to find some adventures of her own.

  • ...
6
 358
 3,075

Service Call Log #4251

Author's Note:

This chapter takes place shortly before To Canterlot.

“Good morning, thank you for calling Roebuck and Sears, Ponyville’s number one source for large magical appliances! My name is Pink Collar, but you can call me Pink. This call may be recorded for quality assurance. How can I help you today?”

“Hi Pink, my name is Twilight Sparkle. Uh, Princess Twilight Sparkle. I have a magical table that I think might be broken, and I saw in your ad that your company does repairs for magical appliances. Is there any way I could, uh, talk to a technician?”

“Sure thing, honey. I can transfer you to our service department. One moment please.”

[Soft music playing.]

“Service Department, this is Sleepy Leaf. How can I help you?”

“Hi Mister Leaf, I’m Twilight Sparkle. The mare who transferred my call said that you might be able to help with a magical table that’s been acting up.”

“I’m sure we can, ma’am. Did you purchase this table from our store?”

“Oh, uh, no. It came with the castle. You know the big crystal castle that grew out of the ground a few years ago? On the north side of town.”

“Okay, so a third-party vendor. Got it. Did it come with a service agreement or manufacturer’s warrantee?”

“No. I mean, I don’t think so. I didn’t see any paperwork like that when I moved in.”

“That’s fine. So, what seems to be the problem with your table?”

“Well, it’s also a map. Like, uh… okay, this is kind of hard to explain. So the table glows sometimes, and a giant holographic map appears on it showing all of Equestria, and once a week or so pictures of my friends’ cutie marks appear on the map telling us that there’s a friendship problem, and we have to go on a quest to solve it. Do you, uh… have you worked on tables like that before?”

“Oh, yeah, those tables were real popular about twenty years ago or so. We sold one model that showed the weather, and you could get one that showed traffic congestion, that sort of thing. You could even set them to show special sales, rare books, anything you wanted. Nowadays everything’s electric, of course.”

“Wait, rare books? Do you still have.... No, focus, Twilight. So, you think you can fix this one?”

“We can try. How’s it acting up?”

“Well, like I said, once a week it shows little pictures of my friends’ cutie marks, but the past few weeks it seems to be stuck. There are six of us, but it keeps sending the same friend over and over out on quests. I thought it might just be a coincidence, but some of the quests it’s sending her on are pretty trivial things that we could’ve just written a letter to solve.”

“Okay. Have you tried turning the table off and turning it back on?”

“Yes, that was the first thing I did. But it’s still sending the same mare out on dubious quests.”

“Okay.” [Sound of keystrokes.] “Are you at the table now?”

“I am.”

“Can you look under the rim of the table and tell me if you see a manufacturer’s sticker with the make and model?”

“One moment.” [Rustling sounds.] “Okay, I think I found… oh, wow, we really need to dust better under here. Okay, uh, there’s a sticker with a bunch of Chineighese characters, and… Hwang-song? Is that a brand?”

“Yeah, they’re a popular discount manufacturer. Mostly do knock-offs of Crystal Empire brands, but the quality’s decent for the price.” [More keystrokes.] “Alright, you should see a number that starts with an ‘S’.”

“I do. S-45-23412.”

[More keystrokes.] “Got it, thank you. Yeah, we can service that model. Would you like to set up an appointment?”

“Yes, please. Do you have any times available this week?”

“We can do tomorrow, actually. I have a window open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.”

“Okay, can you come by around eight?”

“Oh, sorry, ma’am. I mean, we can come by anytime between eight and five, but we won’t know until thirty minutes before the appointment that we’re coming.”

“Wait, so I have to be here all day? I’m supposed to read to a bunch of elementary school foals tomorrow afternoon.”

“Yes ma’am. Sorry, ma’am. I can schedule something more precise, but it won’t be until next week.”

“Ugh. Okay, uh, how about next Tuesday?”

[Keystrokes.] “I have a window from 8 a.m. until noon next Tuesday.”

“Four hours? That’s still a long time. Are you sure you can’t, you know, maybe schedule something more precise? Because, you know, I’m a, uh… You know.”

“I’m sorry, ma’am?”

“Well, I’m a princess. I have a lot of things to do, so I was kind of hoping you could maybe help me out.”

“Sorry, ma’am, I can’t make exceptions to policy. Do you want to speak with my manager?”

“No, that’s…. Nevermind, that’s fine. Eight ‘til noon is fine. I’ll be here. Oh, or Spike will be here!”

“Is Spike an adult?”

“Uh.” [Brief pause.] “Sure, why not? Yeah, he’s an adult.”

“Okay, ma’am, I have an appointment for you from 8 a.m. until noon next Tuesday. What’s your address?”

“It’s the big crystal castle on the north side of town.”

“Do you have a street address?”

“What? It’s the only castle in town. You can see it from everywhere in Ponyville.”

“I’m sorry, ma’am, our appointment software requires a street address.”

“Fine, hang on.” [Papers being shuffled.] “It’s, uh, 1600 White Ash Lane, Suite 3, Ponyville, Equestria.”

[Keystrokes.] “Okay, got it. We’ll give you a call at this number about thirty minutes before we show up. Will you be paying with cash or credit?”

“Do you take royal vouchers?”

“As long as they have a princess’s signature, yes.”

“I’m sure I can rustle that up. Thank you, Mister Leaf.”

“Thank you, ma’am. We’ll see you next week. Have a great day!”

[Call ends.]