• Published 21st Dec 2015
  • 878 Views, 9 Comments

Love And Joy - Mister E



Hearths Warming Eve. A time when ponies gather to give gifts, and show how much they care for one another. But, what about the villains? Would any pony spare a kind word to them? One mare would, and her friends will help her do much more than that.

  • ...
0
 9
 878

Chapter Four- Trixie Lulamoon

“Barkeep! Give me your largest, strongest, cheapest, drink,” the snow covered mare said, upon throwing open the door to the Lucky Star Saloon. One of the only bars still open despite the weather.

“One of those words don't belong with the others,” The bartender says gruffly. “And you know better than to track snow onto my carpet Gappy.”

“Fine.” The mare replies, the wind leaving her sails. She turns, going out onto the stoop and shakes off the snow from her hat and cloak, before returning and settling into her usual seat at the bar. “And I wish you wouldn't call me Gappy. Is it really so hard to say Great and Powerful? Trixie has been doing it for years, and Trixie has found that it only becomes easier with practice.”

“First off, I call you Gappy for no other reason than it makes that little vein stick out on your forehead. Most unladylike by the way. Secondly you know my rule about speaking in the third person like some Canterlot royal, so unless you want to find some other place to drink, I'll ask you politely to knock it off. And as for that drink you want, you'll just have to wait a few minutes. I need to 'escort' a couple of ponies that were incorrect in their assessment of their cider limitations, and introduce them to the outside world.” The bartender says, as he steps out into the lounge.

Trixie immediately clammed up. She and Frosty Mug had been friends for several years now, and she knew when he began to speak in proper Equestrian that somepony had gotten his blood up. Probably one of the two falling down ponies that he was currently 'assisting'. Frosty was a really nice unicorn stallion, but when he got his blood up, you did NOT want to be in his way. After a few moments, Frosty returned to the bar… alone.

“So what was THAT all about?” Trixie asks, hoping that talking about it will get it out of Frosty's system. She was here to celebrate after all.

“Just bad timing is all.” Frosty replies, learning against the bar rail, trying to shake it off. “That pale stallion just found out his wife is going to have a foal. And his buddy took him out to celebrate. Thing is, although his buddy might be a little better than a light weight, the father-to-be was as straight laced as they come. They started getting a bit… boisterous, and I went over and asked them to quiet it down. And they did, for awhile. Then, right before you came in, they started getting rowdy again. When I yelled across the bar for them to stifle it, his buddy of course had to yell back 'lighten up old dude, you'd do the same thing if YOU were going to be a father'. That was the point that you came in.”

“Oh sweet Celestia, I'm sorry Frosty.” Trixie says, instantly contrite. “But there's no way that pony could have known about your daughter.”

“Yeah, yeah. I know. It just caught me wrong, what with being Hearths Warming and all. This will be the first Hearths Warming without her Trixie. My first Hearths Warming all alone. I just… look, never mind. Forget about things we can't change. Instead tell me what's got you so excited that you'd bust up into my place forgetting all your manners?”

Knowing that Frosty really didn't want to talk about the loss of his daughter, Trixie plastered her best showpony smile across her muzzle and said, “this is it Frosty! My chance has finally come around. As of tomorrow no pony will ever mock Tri-, I mean ME ever again!”

Frosty rolls his eyes in an exaggerated manner. “Oh for the love of Luna, not again. Okay, what is it this time? Did you decide to give up magic and start a rock and roll band to tour Equestria?”

“That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of! Trixie give up magic? Ludicrous! No, Trixie is going to perform during the big Hearths Warming parade tomorrow. Once all of the ponies in Canterlot see just how amazing T- I am, then I'll be booked for every show and party thrown in this city for years to come. I'll be the most famous unicorn known to ponykind!”

“Oh Trixie. Why do you do this to yourself?” Frosty says, taking her hoof, and causing her to blush profusely. “I'm your friend right? You trust me right? Then believe me when I say this is a bad idea. Look I know you used to attend Celestia's school, and I know you know all them fancy spells and formulas. But Trixie, you just don't have the magic to pull off the big stuff. Don't get me wrong, you're show might entertain pegasi, and earth ponies, but them fancy unicorns up on nob hill? They aren't going to be impressed. You're heading for a fall girl.”

Trixie pulls her hoof from Frosty's grasp with a little smirk. “That's what I like about you Frosty, you always tell it like it is. Any other pony would have gotten a face full of fireworks by now. But like you said, we are friends. Best friends. And as my best friend, I've decided to show you… this!” Trixie says, as she removes a small box out of one of the many concealed pockets of her cloak, lifting the lid with a flourish.

“I-is that... is that a spell focus?” Frosty says taking the box in his hooves, not daring to touch the contents.

“Oh yes. And not just ANY spell focus.” Trixie says excitedly. “I've checked it over thoroughly. There's enough power in there for an alicorn level spell! If I'm careful, I can use this to augment my own magic for years to come. And as long as I'm not TOO over the top and drain it dry, it'll even recharge itself from the ambient magic around it. And what is Canterlot full of?”

“Unicorns.” Frosty says, catching on. “Heh. Well I'll be. You might actually pull this off. Color me impressed.” Frosty says retuning the box to Trixie. “Where in the world did you ever find something like that?”

“Ah, that was the best part.” Trixie says grinning. “It was a gift. I woke up in my cart as usual, and there it was on my nightstand, a brightly wrapped box with a bow. The tag read 'to Patric-', ahem, 'to Trixie Lulamoon, Happy Hearths Warming, you'll know what to do with it.' Well, I don't know where it came from, but they were right. I certainly DO know what to do with it.”

The bell over the front door causes them to pause in their conversation as another familiar face comes shivering into the bar.

“Sheesh, it's really coming down out there. I'll take the usual Frosty.” Donut Joe says, pulling up a stool next to Trixie.

“One Eyrish Coffee coming up,” Frosty says, pulling a mug from under the counter.

“Hey Trixie. I know bringing a minor into a bar is normally a bad idea, but are you really going to let your roadie just sit out there in the snow?” Joe asks, concerned.

“Roadie? I don't have any roadies. Like I have the spare cash to pay somepony to assist me.” Trixie says dismissively.

“Well, there sure is SOMEPONY's kid huddled up under the awning of your wagon. I just assumed she was with you.

Trixie stood up quickly. “No. No, no, no! No pony is going to mess with my stuff the day before I finally make my comeback. Hold that drink Frosty. I'll be right back!” And with that Trixie dons her hat once more and steps out of the bar.

“Heh, she never DID tell me what she wanted in the first place.” Frosty said grinning.

“What's this about a comeback? She got another scheme?” Joe asks.

“Well, lemme tell ya,” Frosty begins.

Meanwhile, outside, Trixie makes her way across the street to her snow covered wagon. The snow had been falling hard for a long time, and it was already well past Trixie's fetlocks, as she struggled a jagged line toward a small figure huddled up under the awning.

Trixie finally stops before her, her shadow covering the small quivering form of a filly. Noting the absence of light, the filly uncurls from the ball she had made of herself to look up at the unicorn mare staring angrily down at her.

Trixie takes in the appearance of her intruder. She's young. Too young to be out all by herself at night in the snow. And not a stick of clothing on her, no coat or scarf or anything, 'she must be freezing', Trixie thinks to herself. The angry rant she had prepared on the way here dies unspoken.

“Oh Tartarus.” Trixie says in exasperation, as she unfastens her cloak and drapes it around the shuddering youngster. “Can you walk?”

“I-I don't think so. M-my legs gave out just as I got to this wagon. I guess this must be yours. I'm really sorry. If I can have a minute to catch my breath, I'll manage to find somewhere else.”

Trixie lets out a long sigh. “Kid, never kid a kidder. You look like you're two hoofsteps away from Mr. Reaper. C'mere.” Trixie says, as she reaches down and lifts the young filly into her hooves. 'She's so light', Trixie thinks, 'when was the last time she ate?'

Awkwardly Trixie makes her way back to the door of the bar. Although she's had experience standing on two hooves during her shows, walking across a snow laden track with a shivering filly in her arms is something she never had to practice for. As a consequence she was quite out of breath by the time she got the door open.

“Lil help here!” Trixie yells to the only two ponies left in the bar, Joe and Mug.

Frosty Mug quickly trots over and scoops the filly up without effort, as they make their way back inside.

“Well, looks like you won that one Trixie, yes sir no toddler is a match for you!”

“Stifle it Joe, and make yourself useful.” Frosty says, holding the young filly, “I know there's still some hayfries leftover next to the grill, and while your at it see if you can slap together a couple of daisy sandwiches. This poor thing doesn't look like she's eaten in days.” Frosty says, as he places his bundle onto one of the sofas in front of his tavern's fireplace.

“She's so cold.” Trixie says rubbing one of the filly's legs.

“I've got a cure for that.” Frosty says, rising to his hooves once more. “Warm, mulled, cider. No, not THAT kind.” Frosty amends catching the glare Trixie has directed at him. “Despite what you may believe Gappy, I do sell beverages other than alcohol. You should try one sometime.”

“Hrmp.” Trixie says as she peels her damp cloak of the youngster, and hangs it up on a rack beside the fireplace, along with her sodden hat.

As Trixie returns to the filly's side, the object of her attention looks up at her, her youthful eyes going wide. “I couldn't tell before with your hat and your cape on. You're so pretty, a-are you an angel?”

“HAH!” Frosty says from behind the bar, earning him another burning glare from Trixie.

“Despite the crudity of that rube over there, he is correct. First time for everything I suppose. No dear, I'm no angel-”

“You got THAT right,” Joe chimes in from the grill.

“Donut Joe, the next thing I better hear out of your mouth is 'here is your food miss', 'cause if it isn't you'll be seeing fireworks erupt from places you never thought possible!” Trixie says, causing the filly to giggle.

“Hahaha, you're funny.” The filly says, smiling for the first time.

“Of course I am. Why there isn't a city this side of Ponyville that doesn't chuckle at the mention of my name. Speaking of which, where are my manners? Trixie Lulamoon, at your service. That hunky looking stallion in the back is Frosty Mug, be careful of that one, he's a real smooth talker.”

“HAH!” Donut Joe barks, then “Oww!”

“Oops, sorry, my hoof must've slipped.” Frosty says as insincerely as possible.

“Oh, and the recently concussed pony back there is Donut Joe. He's alright. Well most of the time. Just don't let him start talking about donuts.”

“I heard that!” Joe says from the back, still rubbing his head.

“And I don't see any food!” Trixie retorts. “I guess I'll just have to entertain the kid with fireworks instead. Now do I have a volunteer?”

Joe hurries around the front of the sofa, a tray balanced in each hoof. On them are an assortment of sandwiches, some fries, and a steaming bowl of soup with a hunk of thick dark bread next to it.

“I wasn't sure what the kid would like, so I just threw together a little bit of everything. Pretty sure some of that was supposed to be Frosty's dinner, but I'm sure he'd be willing to contribute to the cause.” Joe says, rubbing a large lump on his head once more.

“Joe, you just earned a reprieve. Next drink is on me.” Trixie says before turning back to the filly. “Okay kid, you look like your pretty hungry.”

“I-I could eat,” the youngster says hesitating. “But,” she says eying the feast before her, “I-I don't have any money. I'm sorry. Sorry you made all of this food.”

“Ah well, us showponies are used to situations where cash is a nonentity.” Trixie says matter-of-factually. “It's called the barter system kid. Tell you what. I'll trade you food, if you promise to answer my questions, AND you have to tell the truth. I'll know if you're lying,” she says lighting up her horn and waving it before the wide eyed filly.

“Truth spell. Wow, that's a third year spell. You... you used to go to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns didn't you?” the filly asks.

“Yes, yes I did.” Trixie says in surprise. “But I'll ask the questions here. Let's start with an easy one, what's your name kid?”

“It's Moonlight, ma'am. Moonlight Glitter.” The filly says, eying the bowl of soup hungrily.

“Go ahead dear, that was worth a bowl of soup I think.” Trixie says in amusement as she watches the young Moonlight greedily guzzling her soup without the use of a spoon.

Just then Frosty returns with two steaming mugs of cider. Wordlessly he passes one over to Trixie.

“Why thank you kind sir.” Trixie says warmly.

“You realize that all of this is going on your tab.” He says, with a warm smile, watching as Trixie nearly chokes on her cider. He then adds, “of course, it's my policy to wipe all tabs clean on Hearth's Warming Eve.”

Getting her breathing under control she replies, “better not let Joe hear you say that.”

“Too late.” Joe says from the bar, as he begins to mix what appears to be a very expensive looking drink. “Hey Frosty, where do you keep that thirty year old single malt scotch? Never mind, found it!”

Frosty practically levitates off of the seat beside Trixie and hurries back toward the bar. Causing Moonlight to giggle once more.

“I like this place, your friends are funny too.” She says wiping her muzzle with her hoof.

“Oh yeah, they are real cut-ups, I should use them as my opening act,” Trixie says, only half kidding. “Alright Moonlight, this mug of cider is really really good. So it's going to cost you a few more answers. First off, where are your parents, and secondly, what in the name of Celestia's secret cake room where you doing walking around naked in the snow?!?”

“Well, it's kind of a long story.” Moonlight says, her smile fading away.

“Kid, I was planning to kill a few hours, and brain cells, here tonight, and listening to you has bound to be more interesting than listening to them.” Trixie says waving a hoof back toward the bar.

“I SAID put it down! GENTLY.” Frosty admonishes.

“That's not suppose to bend that way!” Joe says by way of reply.

“You were saying,” Trixie prompts.

Well, like I said my name is Moonlight Glitter. I am… was, a student at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.” Moonlight begins.

“Was?” Trixie interjects, you seem just a bit young to have graduated, so I'm guessing...”

“I quit.” Moonlight says sadly. “See my mom and me live in Whinnyapplous. We never had a lot of money since poppa died. But they both wanted me to attend school here real bad. They said I had a gift for magic, and that I needed to make the most of it. So mom took on a second job and used all of her savings to send me here to school. I was doing really well, getting A's in all my classes. Princess Luna herself had asked me if I wanted to become her protege. I told her I needed some time to think about it. This was three weeks ago. I wrote my mom to tell her, and waited to her what she thought about it. But I never heard back. Then, yesterday, I received a letter from her next door neighbor. She had seen my letter in mom's post box, and got my return address from it. They had been trying to find a way to contact me for a week. Apparently momma had collapsed at one of her jobs. They rushed her to the doctor, and the doctor has her in a hospital. Apparently she hadn't been eating well, and she had worked herself into exhaustion. Mom never said a word to me about ANY of that. Her letters were always so cheerful, telling me how proud she was of me.

Now I know that she was hiding the truth this whole time. She was working herself to death, just so I could go to some stupid fancy school. I don't care about any of that. I just want my momma to be okay.

So today, I decided to leave school and go home. I went to the train station and used the last of my money to buy a train ticket home. I waited and waited, for hours and hours, but the train never came. The ticket counter pony finally came and told me that the trains had been shut down because of the weather. He said there probably wouldn't be another one until after Hearths Warming.

I didn't know what to do. I had already turned in my key at the school, and the outer gates were already locked. Every pony had already left, most of them going to the big Hearths Warming party at the palace.

I had nowhere to go, and no money, and every place I saw was shut down for the night anyway.

I stood there in the street, trying to think of what to do, then, up in the sky, a star appeared. I knew all of the constellations, but this one I had never seen before. It kept shining brighter and brighter, almost like the moon itself. Suddenly I felt this strange compulsion as I gazed at it. Before I knew it, I was putting one hoof in front of the other, trotting in a straight line toward that distant star. On and on I went, almost as if the star was guiding me, the next thing I knew I was here. The star was hanging right over this building. The only one with any lights on. I had planned on coming inside. But I was just so tired. I decided to rest for a few minutes under the awning of that wagon outside. The next thing I remember is you looking down at me.”

Frosty Mug had trotted up beside them as Moonlight had been telling her story. She and Trixie exchanged a look. “Did you see the star she was talking about when you came in?”

“Nooo,” Trixie replies slowly. “I wasn't really looking, but I think I would have noticed it if it was as bright as she described.

“I-I'm not making it up!” The filly says, tears spilling down her cheeks. “I don't know why there was a star! I don't know why it led me here. A-all I wanted to do was get home to my momma.” She says, breaking down into sobs. “I gotta get home. If I don't she'll keep doing the same thing, working herself to death. I can't lose her! Not like poppa! I-I just can't!”

Trixie turns back to Frosty. The expression on her face was that of pure sorrow. She casts a look back to her cloak, then back a Frosty, he instantly understands her unspoken statement.

“Girl, can you do that, even with a spell focus?” He asks softly, “that's some Twilight Sparkle level stuff you're talking about.”

“Maybe not yesterday, and maybe not tomorrow, but tonight? Tonight I could pluck the moon from the sky.” Trixie replies with absolute certainty.

Frosty reaches out and takes her hoof, causing her to blush. “It's a shame though, I think I was actually looking forward to spending Hearths Warming with the greatest showpony in Equestria.”

“Well,” Trixie says, gripping his hoof in return, you could always come WITH us.”

Frosty's eye go wide, “Me? You mean you can teleport all three of us from Canterlot to Whinnyappleous?”

“What? No! No, I have something else in mind. Trust me.” Trixie replies enigmatically.

“Right then. Whatever you say o' Great and Powerful one. Hey Joe!” Frosty says turning back to the bar and tossing his keys to his startled friend. “Drink your fill and then lock up, I've decided to go on a last minute vacation.”

“And Joe,” Trixie adds, take good care of my cart until we get back, or they'll be fireworks… LOTS of fireworks.

“O-okay, but what's going on? You two going somewhere?” Joe asks as he trots up to the fireplace.

“Three,” Trixie says with a grin. “Stand up young mage. No student of Celestia's school should be crying in front of her elder.”

The filly rises to her hooves, still sniffling.

“Ah ah,” Trixie says admonishingly, “you'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, you'd better not pout.”

“W-why?” the filly says confused.

“Why? I'm telling you why! 'Cause I'm taking you back to you're home town.” Trixie says with a grin.

“What? But how? The trains aren't running, there's too much snow to go by cart, and none of us can fly.” Moonlight says bewildered.

“Magic.” Trixie says retrieving her hat and cloak, and putting them on.

“What? But that's crazy! No unicorn can teleport from here all the way to Whinnyappleous!”

“Kid, you have no idea who you are talking to,” Donut Joe says, his voice filled with pride. “That isn't just ANY unicorn. This is the Grrrrrrrrreat and Powerful Trixie!”

“That's right. Frosty says, smiling down at the young filly. Didn't they teach you about her in school? She once took on an Ursa Minor, and even beat Twilight Sparkle herself in a magical duel.”

“What? You dueled Twilight Sparkle? The Element of Magic herself?” The filly said with awe in her voice.

“And won. Although Twilight DID win the rematch.” Trixie says, as she makes her way to a clear space in front of the door.

Frosty shepherds the filly over next to him as Trixie reaches into her cloak, and, unseen, pries the lid of her concealed box, and cups her hoof around the spell focus inside.

“Now behold!” She says raising both hooves into the air, and waving them theatrically around. “As I call upon mystic forces untapped by no pony save the mightiest of alicorns!”

The air becomes charged with energy as Trixie draws upon all of her power, and focuses it through the object in her hoof. She knows this spell by heart. Just like so many other of the greater spells. She's learned all the conjurations of the greater arcana, but until now, she's never had the raw power to call upon to make any of them work.

'Well, I guess my comeback will have to wait.' She thinks to herself. 'Oh well, there's always next year.' “Now gaze in wonder, as the Great and Powerful Trixie bends the very fabric of space and time!”

The huge ball of magic Trixie had collected, flattens itself out into a shimmering vertical disk. Then before the shocked gazes of her friends, the center of the disk opens to reveal a city street. The street lights are all aglow, but not a pony could be seen.

“I know that street!” Moonlight says excitedly. “I live just a block down that road! Oh my gosh! Trixie, you made a portal! That's an alicorn level spell! No unicorn has ever done such a thing! You must be the greatest magician in the world!”

“Well, kid, lemme tell ya,” Frosty says, as the three step through the portal, which briefly shows them trotting down the middle of the empty street, before it shimmers and fades out of existence.

Donut Joe shakes his head, a huge grin plastered on his muzzle as he banks the fire for the evening, and gathers up the remains of young Moonlight's dinner to take back to the kitchen.

“That's one very special mare you got there Frosty.” He says, looking to where the portal hung moments before. “Take good care of her.”

Back in The Crystal Kingdom, Pinkie Pie and Cadence watch as the trio go to Moonlight's apartment, to find, much to her surprise, that her mother had been released from the hospital, and had been coaxed by her neighbor to join them for Hearths Warming Eve. They watch as the young filly tells her mom and everypony there, how the Great and Powerful Trixie saved her from the snow, and made a portal all the way from Canterlot to bring her home. They also notice that both Trixie and Frosty were holding hooves the entire time.

“Pinkie,” Cadence asks with concern, “why are you crying?”

“It's just so… so beautiful.” Pinkie says, blowing her nose on the hem of Cadence's dress. “We made so many people so happy. I just wish we could do this every day!”

“Oh Pinkie,” Cadence says with a smile. “You DO do this every day, with every pony in Ponyville.”

“I know, I know. But every pony there is my friend. And there are so many other ponies, and griffins, and hooomans, and minotaurs and-”

“I get the idea Pinkie.” Cadence says, cutting her off before she lists every sentient race known to ponykind.

“But there's just so many that could use our help.” Pinkie says desperately.

“I know Pinkie, I know. But all we can do, is all we can do, and we can't do any more than that. When your heart starts to get heavy with all you haven't done, just think about all the ponies your life has touched, and how, just by knowing you, their lives are better. Every little bit of good you do is like a ripple in a pond, and who knows just how far a kind word, or helpful hoof in the right place, at the right time, will spread.”

“That's… pretty awesome Cadence. And here I thought you were the pretty one, and Celestia dished out all the wisdom.”

“Well, Aunt Celestia is pretty wise. But I do know a thing or two. Like for example, the location of her secret cake room.” Cadence says with a gleam in her eye.

“Portal?” Pinkie asks.

“Portal,” Cadence confirms.

“Best Hearths Warming ever?” Pinkie asks.

“Eeyup!” Cadence says, charging up her horn.

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas everyone!
The inspiration for this story, and this chapter in particular, came from my favorite of all Christmas songs.
Years ago I went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra for the first time. I was blown away by their awesome music and stage show. Then, toward the end, everything got quiet, the lights dimmed, and a lone performer came out and sang a simple song. That song... none of the audience was left unaffected. All of us were sitting there with tear stained cheeks. It was simply one of the most beautiful things we had ever heard.
Every year I allow myself to listen to that song, just once. And every year it affects me the same way. If anything properly expresses what I was trying to convey with these stories, it it this...