• Published 21st Dec 2015
  • 33,877 Views, 2,344 Comments

Normal Life - Hiver



What's a normal life might be relative. Especially when dating a Princess and being followed around by changelings.

  • ...
56
 2,344
 33,877

Chapter 7

“Daring Do is awesome! She is totally as cool as Sky Walker!”

I grinned, “I'm not saying she isn't a good character, just that she could use some more character building rather than just running around escaping from enemies and getting the artifact in the end. She is clearly brave and intelligent as well as compassionate like shown in the third book, but she is still somewhat flat as a character.” I explained before I shrugged, “Not saying she needs a long lost love interest or something cliché like that, but something that brings her out of the adventuring heroine stereotype wouldn't hurt.”

Rainbow looked annoyed as she put her sandwich down, “Like what?”

“I don't know. Maybe... a friendly rival.” I finally said, considering it, “somepony she could play off of that wasn't an enemy. Somepony that could actually get the better of her at times.”

The Pegasus seemed to consider that, “...I guess...”

Shaking my head, I lifted my sandwich in my magic and took a bite. Mmm, cheese and tomatoes.

“So what are you writing next?” Rainbow asked before taking a swig of her cider. She had been quite happy when we managed to sneak some from the kitchens.

I better watch that by the way or I might end up getting banned. The chefs had started to look mildly annoyed about it.

It just felt wrong to kick the entire kitchen into gear simply because I wanted a snack and then wait a hour for them to get it just right.

Considering her question, I shrugged again, “I'm not certain. The Jedi series is done. Perhaps something completely different. Maybe... I don't know. Have something of a writer's block at the moment.”

I actually felt like writing something involving a bit more romance. The problem was how much people would read into it. Maybe publish it under a pen name or something. Without the Internet that kind of thing actually did something.

“What does that even mean?”

I grinned at that, “Never tried writing anything, have you?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head, “No way. I'm no egghead.” before her eyes went wide, “Not that you are!”

Raising a eyebrow at that, I took a sip from my own cider, “That's where you are wrong.” I finally said with a grin, “I am a massive nerd.”

“Whaaa!?”

“You don't need to sound so surprised. Rainbow, I spend most of my time reading, writing or trying to think of if character A could take character B in a fight. I have notes and calculations about that kind of stuff. I'm a massive nerd.”

She looked somewhat confused, “But... awesome stories...”

“That have very little to do with being a nerd or not.” I explained, “And all to do with imagination. Anypony can think up stories, the rest is simply practice.”

“Practice?” Rainbow Dash asked, looking dubious, “What is there to practice? You just write, right?”

“That's a good place to start.” I agreed before leaning forward, “Here is a secret all authors know though: The first thing you write is going to completely suck. So is the second, third, forth... and so on and so on.”

Rainbow blinked in surprise, “What?”

“It's true. It's going to be baaaad. So, so very bad. Maybe not the story itself, but the spelling, grammar, structure... so, so absolutely horrible.” I chuckled, “You should read some of my first... actually, no you shouldn't. Your brain might melt from how stupid it was. The trick to getting better is that you get somepony to read it and be honest about it. Listen to what they say you did wrong and then try to do better the next time.”

“Huh. Like my tricks.”

“Tricks?”

She nodded with a grin, “I'm going to be a member of the Wonderbolts! I'm the best flyer in Ponyville!”

“Wonderbolts, huh? Cool, I saw a performance a while ago. They were great... if you are good enough to join that squad, it will likely be me that asks for an autograph in a while.” I said before I grinned as well, “Speaking of which, do you have your book?”

“Huh? Oh! Yeah!”

She scrambled and pulled her book from her bag so I could sign it with a 'All the luck to the future Wonderbolt Captain Rainbow Dash from Blank Page' before I handed it back as the door behind me opened.

“Page, is this where you are?”

Rainbow bowed deeply and I jumped of the couch to trot over, “Good Morning, Luna. Sleep well?” I asked as I gave her a small nuzzle.

“I did. How did the book signing go?” She asked before she smiled, “Greetings on this fine day, Rainbow Dash. There is no need for such formalities.”

“Went good. A couple of hundred turned up... I ran into Twilight and Rainbow here at the end and invited them back to the castle for some dinner.” I explained before I whispered, “I also revealed to Twilight that your sister might appreciate a excuse to avoid her paperwork today. I volunteered to entertain Rainbow.”

Luna smiled and gave my ear a nuzzle, “Sneaky.” she whispered back before walking over to steal my sandwich, “I take it you enjoyed Page's latest book, Rainbow Dash?”

Damn it, Luna! That was my dinner!

The Pegasus still looked somewhat surprised at our casual greeting but she nodded with a grin, “It was pretty damn awesome!”

Luna nodded and put my sandwich back down, but not before stealing half of my tomatoes, “Well said! I still maintain that the second book was the best in the series.”

“Totally!”