• Published 21st Dec 2015
  • 33,874 Views, 2,344 Comments

Normal Life - Hiver



What's a normal life might be relative. Especially when dating a Princess and being followed around by changelings.

  • ...
56
 2,344
 33,874

Chapter 6

I smiled and put the quill to the book. “So who do I make it out to?”

“Warm Sunshine.” the yellow mare with the smiling sun cutie mark said with a smile. “I loved the book!”

“Glad you did. Hearing that always brightens my day.” I said and scribbled down 'To Warm Sunshine and may the force be with her. Blank Page' on the inside of the cover. “Here you go.”

“Thank you!” she said happily and picked up the book before heading out of the store. It was one of the larger ones in Canterlot, several times the size of the one I used to work in.

Even so, the day was drawing to a end which was rather good. My horn had started to ache a bit from all the signing. I'd lost count at five hundred. That was hours ago.

I glanced back at my bodyguard. “How are you doing there, Skitter?”

“I'm good, sir.” she answered, having taken her normal 'pony' form. White unicorn with changeling wings. Her voice was almost indecently chipper.

I think she was actually enjoying this more than anypony else. While not actually feeding off any of the ponies, she could still absorb the background radiation. As I understood it, the happiness in the air gave her a kind of caffeine rush.

All in all, I found it rather amusing. During the biggest rush, the changeling had been almost vibrating and had been completely unable to keep her wings still.

Grinning, I turned to the next pony approaching the desk and smiled in surprise. “Twilight! Hi.”

The Purple unicorn trotted over with a smile. “Hi, Page.” she said. “Lot's of ponies show up?”

I nodded. “A couple of hundred. Not a bad turnout.” I frowned in thought and continued; “Didn't I already send you a signed copy?”

Twilight smiled. “You did. But I promised a friend I would introduce her to you when she found out I knew you.”

Oh?

I shrugged. “Any friend of yours is a friend of mine.” I answered.

“She is...” Twilight started to say and then looked around before she frowned as she spotted her target. “Rainbow?” she asked. “Are you coming?”

Tilting to the side to look around her, I spotted a blue pegasus mare with a rather chromatic mane. Ah, the bearer of the element of loyalty. Rainbow...Crash? Stash? Dash! Rainbow Dash!

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!” the pegasus finally squeaked out and with a flap of her wings, she crossed the distance to the desk, putting her hooves on it. “You really wrote the Jedi books!?”

I pulled back slightly and nodded. “I did... I take it you liked them.”

“You're kidding, right!” Rainbow squeaked and hovered in the air. “They are great! With the laser swords and the death island and the pegasi warriors with magic and the Darth Vader when he cut the wing of and woosh, vooom.”

I tilted my head as she started doing sound effects before looking at Twilight.

Twilight smiled slightly. “Rainbow Dash gets enthusiastic about the things she likes.”

Nodding, I smiled and chuckled. So I could see. “I'm about to pack up here, I think.” I said, glancing over at the clock. “So what brings you to Canterlot?”

Twilight shrugged. “This, actually. Was going to see if I could find some books, but mostly because I promised Rainbow I'd come with and introduce her.”

I nodded, and then a thought struck me and I hid a grin by putting some papers away into my bag. “Not going to visit Princess Celestia?”

The other unicorn shook her head. “No, she is probably busy. I don't want to bother her.”

“Actually, I happen to know that Princess Celestia is not that busy today.” I explained. “Luna said that there was mostly paperwork today so I wouldn't be surprised if she would be rather happy for an excuse to take a break.”

“Oh... well, I couldn't just leave Rainbow alone...”

“Don't worry about it.” I said with a grin. “Go have fun, I'll entertain your friend, I have no doubt we will find some stuff to talk about.”

“Well... if you are sure...”

Shooing her to get going with a grin, I glanced back at my guard. “Come on, let's get something to eat.”

“Hey! Where did Twilight go?” Rainbow Dash asked, looking around as she dropped down onto the ground, folding her wings.

“She said something about visiting Princess Celestia.” I explained. “Look, I'm about to go head out and grab a sandwich or something. Wanna come? I'll sign your book later.”

“W-what, really?” she asked in surprise.

I nodded, said; “Sure, why not.” and shrugged. “You can tell me what you thought about the latest book.”

“Awesome!”

Luna, you'd better appreciate this. People liking my books is one thing. Fangirls was something completely different.

As we headed out of the book store I mentally paused. Wait, this might be seen as... you never knew if there was a journalist hidden in the bushes.

I never needed to bother with journalists before, but with Luna and me having been confirmed as a couple instead of just one of a thousand rumors flying around, they had started to pay attention. We really didn't need that kind of rumor flying around.

“Actually...” I said, slowing my step for a moment, causing the pegasus and changeling to look at me. “How about we head to the castle instead. Free food and less of a dinner rush. We can raid the kitchens or something.”

Rainbow grinned. “Really? Cool!