• Published 21st Dec 2015
  • 34,126 Views, 2,344 Comments

Normal Life - Hiver



What's a normal life might be relative. Especially when dating a Princess and being followed around by changelings.

  • ...
56
 2,344
 34,126

Chapter 29

I carefully opened one eye and found that I couldn't see anything but stars.

...That didn't help.

Carefully I scooted back, sliding out from beneath Luna's wing as I raised my head and looked around.

Everything seemed normal. No houseplants dancing around and the sky seemed steady outside. I'm pretty sure I was also still in bed. The bed was even still on the floor.

Nothing seemed chaotic.

Carefully extracting myself from beneath the covers I rolled off the bed and sneak over to look out through the window, passing through the silence bubble.

No screams of fear and everything outside seemed normal.

Perhaps Celestia was not completely wrong. Everything seemed to be working. The sun was still in the sky where it belonged. It wasn't plaid colored. Neither was the sky for that matter.

That's good.

Huh.

Maybe I did overreact a bit. Glancing over at the bed I then smiled and crossed back into the bubble and lit up my horn, pulling the covers fully into place over Luna again before I turned and headed for the other chamber.

Like normal, a pot of tea and a cup was already sitting on the table, waiting for me.

Pouring myself a cup, I took a sip before I yawned and headed towards the door.

“Skitter, you might as well come in.” I said as I pushed it open only to blink and step back as a changeling walked past me. She looked somewhat like the one I expected, but her mane was shorter and the holes in her legs were in different spots.

“I am Scarab. I am your new guard. Skitter has been reassigned, Lord Page.” she explained.

I just stared at her, “What? Why?”

“It is not my place to question the Queen's orders.”

Oh hell no.

“Yeah, this is not going to work.” I told her with a frown, floating my cup over and put it down on the table, “You go back to Queen Chrysalis and tell her that I want my old guard back. I'm sure you are good at what you do, but I had a guard I was happy with. I want her back.”

“Lord Page, Queen Chrysalis has tasked me with your protection.”

“And I don't give two fucks. You go tell her I want my old guard back.”

Scarab looked frustrated, her wings buzzing slightly, “I can not leave and protect you at the same time, Lord Page. You have limited authority over me, but you can not countermand my Queen's orders.”

I grimaced at that but couldn't really argue with that. That did put her in a difficult position.

“How about this? I give you my word I will stay in this room until you return. I can't physically be any safer than this. It's the middle of the castle with a lot of guards around and a Princess sleeping in the next room.” I finally suggested.

Scarab still looked uncomfortable with the idea, but she finally nodded, “...Very well. I will return shortly, Lord Page.”

As she left, I tapped my hoof on the floor in thought.

Why would they switch out Skitter? I liked Skitter, I had gotten used to having her around even if she was a bit stiff. I had even gotten her reading from time to time instead of just staring at the door while I was writing.

Nothing against Scarab, I'm sure she is a competent bodyguard, but I had already trained one changeling, I wanted to keep it.

Besides, I liked to think Skitter was a friend and I knew she liked her duties here.

At the very least I wanted an explanation.

Picking up the cup of tea again, I grabbed a book and jumped up to lay down on the couch to wait for her to return.

It didn't take long.


A hour later, there was a knock on the door and I looked up from the travel guide, “Enter.”

The door opened and Scarab walked inside, closing the door behind her.

“And?” I asked, raising a eyebrow at her as I closed the book, putting it on the table next to me.

Scarab scraped her hoof against the floor, her wings buzzing slightly, “Queen Chrysalis would like to inform you that it suits the swarm better to have your guard position replaced.”

I stared at her for a long moment, waiting for her to continue before I raised my other eyebrow, “...And?”

“That is the message, Lord Page.”

Well, fuck that.

Jumping off the couch, I stretched before started towards the door, “I believe I will take this up with your Queen personally.”

“If you wish, sir.” Scarab said reluctantly and followed along, “She can be found in the new Hive.”

The changelings had set up their new hive in some of the caves beneath Canterlot. It suited them well down there.

What made it comfortable for them made it very creepy for ponies however.

Nodding I headed down the stairs, “Scarab... I don't want you to think this is anything against you personally. I just think of Skitter as a friend and I know she liked her posting. I just want to find out why she is transfered and what happened.”

“Yes, sir.” she answered, sounding slightly confused.