• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 1,708 Views, 44 Comments

Norse Code - NorsePony



My short-short stories from Thirty Minute Ponies, collected in one place.

  • ...
7
 44
 1,708

The Birthday - Slice of Life

“The Birthday”



My dearest foal,

I thank Celestia every day I wake up with you in my life, and my joy is all the greater today, on the anniversary of the day I first held you in my hooves. You are the best of me, and so much more than that. You allow me to see the world anew, and it is beautiful through your eyes. Always know that I love you so, so much.

-Mom

She added the final flourish to her signature and neatly spat out the pen onto the fine-grained wood of her writing desk. She folded the letter with a sharp crease, then slid it into a waiting envelope which was addressed with only a heart.

With the corner of the envelope pinched between her lips, she went downstairs. She carefully laid the envelope on the kitchen table, at the place facing the window, her daughter's favorite seat because she loved watching the ponies go by on the street outside. Then she began making a special birthday breakfast.

By the time the unicorn filly came bounding down the stairs, her pale purple hooves making a welcome clatter, all was in readiness—toasted clover and lightly fried apple slices on the plates, with small bowls of watercress-and-mushroom salad close at hand, and a stoppered bottle of slightly sweet oat vinaigrette by the vase of daisies in the center of the table.

The filly's gold-colored eyes widened into perfect circles of astonishment and a big smile burst onto her face. She hopped around the room in excited little circles. "All my favorites! Thank you mommy, thank you thank you!"

The gray mare grinned at her daughter's display and, laughing, shooed her to her seat. She turned to clutch a thick towel in her teeth and used it to lift a sweetly steaming pan of the filly’s favorite carrot-rhubarb muffins from the oven. She set the pan on the counter to cool and joined her daughter at the table.

The little filly was already reading the letter, its words written in a rough and uncoordinated scrawl: mama h ppy U day day day mama hapy U C pretty. The rest of the page was full of crudely-drawn hearts.

The filly finished reading, tears standing in her eyes, and threw her arms around her mother's neck. "I love you too, mommy!"

The gray mare's voice was full of emotion and love. "Mama."

The filly nodded against her neck. "I'm glad you're my mommy too."

The gray mare blinked tears out of her crossed golden eyes and smiled. Dinky always knows what I mean.


- - - - -
A/N: This short-short was originally written as a warm-up piece. I wanted to write about pony food, and it turned into Derpy cooking for Dinky’s birthday. I'm not sure how that happened, but I like it.