• Published 22nd Dec 2015
  • 1,182 Views, 9 Comments

A New World, An Old God - Northern Desert



Equus gets its latest bad guy when the planet is at its most hectic. And unlike the other baddies that the world has had to face, this one isn't going anytime soon...

  • ...
3
 9
 1,182

Chapter 1 - Freedom!

The vast seas of Equus shimmered under the harsh sunlight, giving off a beautiful sight to any creature that was in the sky or on the water. Coral reefs filled with countless colors accompanied the edges of this part of the ocean and small islands pocketed these great waters. The sight itself would entrance those who passed it, luring them to use this great divide as a means of transport. Equines, or ponies if you prefer, constructed ships of wood and steel with magic and hoof. Griffons, hybrids of cat and bird, constructed great machines that would sail the skies, thus bringing them over the seas in faster ways that none ever imagined possible.


Other races of the planet soon followed suit, using these great waters as a way to bring both their people and trade to other parts of the world. For these seas would bring unity to races who have had stressed histories with one another, as there were many things that would require cooperation such as the protection for pirates and the construction of routes that would prove to be safe and efficient.


However, what lie beneath this seemingly peaceful sea exists something both dark and powerful. For while the light is able to breach some parts of the ocean, it is weak and easy to destroy, thus allowing the darkness of the ocean depths to keep ancient powers and dark mysteries secret and secure from those who seek to eliminate them.


Nevertheless, there were those who lived in both the dark and light, using each one to their advantage. These creatures were fish-like equines, also known as hippocampi, would bask in the rays of the sun that managed to break through the surface of the ocean while also hiding their dangerous secrets from the prying eyes of those who walk upon the land. These creatures of the sea secluded themselves from the matters of the great ocean kingdoms and those that live on the land, creating their own fiefdom that lived near a great drop that would bring one to the darkest part of the ocean.


These equines of the sea swam around a coral-like village, gathering together in various locations, such as markets with stalls of sand or stadiums with large shellfish providing their services as stages. This undersea paradise also contained serpents of great size and power, sirens whose world memorized those who heard their songs, and predatory creatures with sharp fins and teeth.

The village also contained a palace made of a magical sand-like substance that was enchanted down to the very last grain of sand. This structure provided a home to the ruler and the local officials that governed the people, while a separate place was made to practice the people's’ religion; a temple of sorts. These two places were the centers of importance, where the leaders of the community gathered together to work out the orders of their puzzling deity.


This deity, also known as ‘He who whispers a thousands words’ among many other glorified titles is somewhat of an enigma to the population. It was during the first migration when they sought to create their own kingdom under their leader, King Froth, that they heard the whispers of the caverns below. They originally chose to ignore the voices and continued on wards and set up somewhere not to far away. It was then that the predators of the sea attacked them, chasing the hippocampi away from their homes and continued so until they would catch them.


Despite the hopelessness of their flight, the people persisted in escaping their inevitable demise. However, upon reaching the place where the voices were heard, the vicious predators cried in fear and fled back to wherever they came, thus leaving a confused and scared group of settlers wondering what had saved them. Upon realizing that the whispers they heard may have had some part in their salvation, they chose to go into the dark depths where the voices were strongest.


As they continued to find their unknown savior, the voices increased in sound and the words became clearer. While they felt unsure, King Froth lead on wards to at least give thanks to whoever helped them. They soon found themselves at the entrance of a dark cavern, and a cold chill ran through their bodies upon entering the caves. As the walked along the stone walls, they saw drawings of various bizarre creatures with illlegible writing, probably due to the the powerful water currents that went in and out of the tunnels.


Finally after what seemed like hours, the group found themselves within a wide room within the deeper parts of the cavern. In the center sat a statue of gold with all sorts of algae and barnacles attached to it. The body of the creature was a blob of sorts, with eight octopus arms extending outwards from its equally octopus-like body. It had a great maw, and it seemed as though its four eyes were also small versions of its terrifying mouth.


As they approached the statue, the whispers finally became clear, and it was revealed to them the truth of their world and the secrets behind the statue. Through the urging of the dark voices, the hippocampi settled close to the caverns, building a large village and palace to house their new kingdom. A small religion soon formed over time for the statue, and what lied within it. And as more creatures passed by, they soon became tempted by the voices to join the community. This continued for a great number of years and the people of the kingdom were able to create their own little world, free from the pressures of outsiders.


Another thing these creatures of the sea did was obey the orders of their new god. He instructed them both from the caverns and in their dreams, giving them certain tasks like secretly recording much information of key players in the world. He also had them connect with land dwellers, building powerful relationships and spreading his words to those who would follow him. In years to come, these new members of the once small and remote village elevated the power in which the kingdom had. Each day was simply like the other, working together in cohesion to build a better lives for themselves.


Today, however, would be much different. For these creatures had waited years for their mysterious master to come to them, to break free from his imprisonment and enact his plans to further the elevation in the world. As time went by, each generation at one point gathered that his time would not come during their lives, and so this hope would be passed onto the next generation. Many generations passed, and this present one was convinced that, like the others, they would not be able to meet their deity in this life.


That assumption was dashed this very day. And while all of these things were normal and nothing new was expected to come of it, a great wave of change had just hit the planet. One of the last pieces of the prophecy told long ago had arrived, for a horse with seventeen plates had brought to Equus his people in search of refuge.

While the markets remained busy and loud, and the stadiums were filled with actors and spectators, the recent leaders of the community were down in those dark caverns to pay homage to their God, something they would do every year. The king, a great serpent-like creature with powerful arms and legs that were webbed and a head with powerful jaws and horns adorned on his heald. Sharp orange spikes ran down his long back and to the tip of his tail. With him were two hippocampi, each with a dolphin-like body with two front hooves and an equine head with a curved horn coming from the seaweed green mane that flowed downed their head. With him also was a manta ray, a beaming smile upon her face as she did the final touches to the tribute for their deity.


“Do you believe he will ever return...Spout?” The King grumbled, asking the manta ray while his great body attempted to fill the space of the room. He was the first of his kind to gain the title of King, each one before him being chosen through the prophets by the words of the God they worshiped. Each one like him ruled fairly and dutifully, their actions contributing to the happiness of their subjects.


“That is a question that each generation before us has faced, King Tidal...” The priestess sighed, but continued cheerfully with her duties. Out of every other living being on this planet, it was only the priests of the Old God that have ever had full conversations with the ancient creature. Spout herself had communicated directly with her deity, enjoying the...unique attitude the creature had. “Imagine how he feels, being trapped for centuries and unable to interact with the world.” The ruler rubbed his head in embarrassment, feeling somewhat petty now for feeling such things.


“I...never really thought about it like that,” he admitted hesitantly, becoming curious on how their deity actually was. Was he kind and wise, or dark and cruel? The orders given to the kingdom had always been large jumps from acts of kindness to cold and harsh decisions. “How is he like...if you can tell me that is.”


Spout turned around in surprise, but then gave her king a warm smile. “That is not something that anyone has ever asked me...probably because some may be afraid of the exact nature of something they hold dear,” The manta ray responded. She then waved one of her fins at the serpent with an excited look on her face. “Well...he’s not all ‘high and mighty’ as some may expect from a god. In a matter of fact, he’s attitude seems somewhat humble and he can also be...silly.”


Tidal raised an eyebrow at the priestess words, for it was not everyday one described a god as ‘silly’.


“‘Silly?’ How so?” Tidal questioned, somewhat relieved that their deity might not be the ‘smiting all those before him’ kind of god.


Spout looked towards the statue, processing on how to best describe what she meant. It was then that she heard a single whisper, and she laughed.


“Old Ezger, the one who held this job before me, was somewhat of a comedian during his time, often telling awful jokes,” The priestess said, smiling at the memories of her old mentor. “The one we worship would have many conversations, and learned many of Ezger’s jokes. Now he greets me everyday with one of the terrible things.”


Tidal looked somewhat shocked at the confession, but smiled at the thought of such a thing.


“Jokes huh?” The king questioned, looking up at the smiling fangs of the statue, wondering even more about the mysterious creature. “Is there anything else I should watch out for, besides his joke telling?” He chuckled, imaging the old one that those few who remembered feared, attacking his enemies with terrible puns.


“He’s a little wacky as well,” She said, thinking back to all the times the creature had communicated with her through the Dreamscape, this went on until the return of the Mare in the Moon. “But, I don’t think you have much to worry about if he were to ever return. But him breaking free in our lifetime is highly unlikely--”


Before the manta ray could finish her sentence, she was cut off with loud tremors that shook the cavern. Outside the caves the entire sea shook and volcanos that remained dormant for centuries sprung to life, filling the dark parts of the ocean with fire. The waters churned as new and odd creatures appeared out of nowhere. While many in the kingdom were surprised, if not worried, about this sudden event, what was happening was destined to come true. For the llama, or horse, with seventeen..no, seven plates had arrived to Equus, bringing with him his people in search of refuge. And it would be through his people that Equus would become a better world in many regards.


However, with this great change came the troubles that would follow it. Particularly what lie within the caverns, that trouble may be more than what its worth. As the ocean shook, so did the ancient magic that bounded the golden statue, the shell slowly breaking apart.


King Tidal, his two guards, and Priestess Spout watched in both horror and amazement as they saw the statue that stood in that single place for so long slowly crumble. The things that were once whispers that emanated from the statue started to become loud and clear words. The single voice was filled with cheer and excitement as more and more of the statue dissipated, a blush fleshy creature emerging from the shell.


“Hoohehehahahaha...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” The creature laughed, its many maws opening wide and the octopus-like arms waving all around with happiness. The four followers of the creature looked in disbelief, if not somewhat afraid, at the maniacally laughing creature.


“I know that it may seem somewhat fishy that such a thing has occurred after such a long time,” It joked, the creatures eight arms wrapping around the base of the once complete statue. “But surely this is close to what you expected!?!” After asking this, the four came to the sudden realization on exactly who floated before them. The Beast with a Thousand Maws, He Who Walked in Dreams, The Great Schemer, The Old God of The Ocean...Nthoggom.


The four before the Old God dropped down and bowed before the creature the so feverishly worshiped. In return, Nthoggom gave them a looked of surprise, for it had been a long time since anyone could fully relish in his living for. But he did not need them to bow before him, for these people had proven long ago that their loyalty knew no bounds. Such followers were above bowing before him.


“Those lesser than you would have to bow, but you and your ancestors have served me long enough for such formalities to not stand between us!” He said, the neverending smile upon his multiple faces somewhat comforted the audience before him. “King Tidal, Priestess Spout, it has been centuries since I have been able to move freely, and amongst friends no less!” While the manta ray was not completely shocked at the creatures dismissal of such formal gestures, the event in itself seemed to overtake her.


“Lord Nthoggom!” Spout cried in both surprise and wonder, a smile beaming from her face. Her excitement could not be contained, and she swam towards the creature that had provided great comfort for her and people for so long and hugged him. “You--you’re free!” The Old God, along with the King and his guards, were startled by the priestess’s actions, but Nthoggom did not strike her down or shame her.


“Well of course,” He said, raising a single arm in triumph. “Do you think a mere goddess could keep me down for long!?! So what if it took a few millennium, for it is I who now roams the world, free and unchallenged.” While his boast heightened the spirits of his followers, his words were not exactly true. For he was still weakened, and would need time to replenish his power.


“What shall you have us do, your Lordship?” King Tidal questioned, his head bowed and ready for any command his god may give him. “Will you leave the caves, conquer the other kingdoms of the sea?”


In response, Nthoggom wrapped his tentacles around the four in the room, and with a flash of light transported them out of the caverns. “I think that I shall take a swim and see these ‘other kingdoms’ for myself!” The Old God chortaled, taking off from the bewildered and dazed group. They anxiously watched their deity take off and towards to boundaries of the kingdom.


“You did tell him about the ‘clause’ you found out about his imprisonment...right Spout?” The serpent questioned the manta ray skeptically. She let out a nervous laugh, giving the king a good idea on how she had not broken the news to the deity.


Before anything else could be said, a loud cry sounded out from where the Old God was headed. Turning around, they saw the ancient being crash head first into an invisible bubble, slowly sliding down the unseeable wall.


“WHAT!?!?” Nthoggom shouted in anger, getting up and touching the area in front of him, only for a ripple effect to occur that showed him that a large bubble had been created around the town. Stroking his non existent chin with one of his tentacles, he hummed in annoyance. “This may be more difficult than I originally thought…



“Another barrier?” The Old God questioned, sprawled along a large chair inside the palace of King Tidal. The sand-like walls was adorned with bountiful colorful corals and shells. After his initial failure on exploring outside the kingdom, Nthoggom went with his followers back to the palace through a secret route, as to avoid the public for now.


“It seems as though the Goddess was not happy with just your petrified state,” Spout said, giving the Eldritch Abomination an apologetic smile. “So...what’s the plan now, oh Great One?”


King Tidal sat down near the two, fidgeting with nervousness at the prospect that it may take just as long to break down this imprisonment as the next.


“You have no need to worry about the barrier,” Nthoggom laughed, stretching his limbs and waving them around randomly. “For while my last imprisonment was meant for a longer stay, this one is far weaker and it shall take mere days for me to breach it. The main issue is my weakened state.” The two officials gave sighs with relief, happy that their deity’s plans would remain the same.


“For now, we keep my return a secret,” The Eldritch Abomination said, not wanting to spread word of his freedom prematurely. “We must keeps this hidden, so that our enemies may not catch wind of what has happened.”


The two nodded in agreement, but it was Tidal that chose to question one thing about the Old God’s plan.


“But what of the other six members of our inner circle, your prime servants?” The serpent asked, catching Nthoggom’s attention. For many years ago, when his influence started to seep out of the ocean that he formed an organization. An organization with eight members, each given a great power by the Old God, that went by the name ‘The Arms of Nthoggom’. The members varied in race, two of its members being Spout and Tidal, and were scattered all around the world.


“King Tidal is correct, your Greatness,” Spout added, agreeing with the serpent. Each member of the organization were Nthoggom’s top lieutenants that have served faithfully and without question whenever the ancient creature gave them orders. “They should at least hear directly from you so that they can carry out your words.” The gibbering mouths on Nthoggom constantly opened as though they were speaking, the main maw of the Old God hung open as he considered his followers’ words.


“I had already sent them a telepathic message, informing them of a meeting, but I did not plan on revealing myself to them yet,” The Elder Being mused, thinking on if his other top followers truly need to know of his return. While he needed to keep his freedom secret from the rest of the world, for his foes would attack quickly if they learned that he was free, he came to the conclusion that no harm would come in directly addressing his lieutenants. “But this may improve moral, to know that the first step of my plan has now come to pass. Very well, I shall formally greet them within two days...but for now, we have more urgent issue to discuss.” The priestess and king looked at him with confusion, confused on what could be so problematic for their deity.


“What would that be, Lord Nthoggom?” Spout questioned, giving a look of worry that their may be even more danger to their plan than expected.


“As was spoken by one of my late...acquaintances,” The Eldritch creature said, reminding them of the prophecy that one of the other Old Gods had spoken to the Goddess. “The llama with seven plates--”


“I thought it was a horse with seventeen plates…” The manta ray interrupted, recalling that the prophecy spoke of a four legged animal that was different from a llama.


“While I applauded you for your diligence, Priestess, I believe that I would know what exactly cause my freedom!” Nthoggom snorted, for if anyone remembered what his ancient brother had said, surely it was him. Spout shrugged, there was a lot of history to remember, so she probably did miss one small detail.


“But that matters little,” He declared, and red holographic globe of the world appearing out of thin air in one of the Elder Beings tentacle. “What does matter and is of great concern is the new residents of Equus, those that go by the name...Pokémon. Po-ke-mon, I think that’s how you say it…” The serpent king looked at the Old God with surprise, for in all his years as king, not once did he hear of such a species.


“Pokémon, my Lord?” Tidal echoed with curiosity, his head tilting in interest as to the exact origin of these mysterious creatures. “What are Pokémon, and what do they have to do with this creature that caused your freedom?”


Taking the globe, white shapes formed on it that displayed the continents and other landmasses of the world. Then waving one of his octopus arms over it, the globe zoomed in and showed an image of a strange, equine-like creature with a strange cross-like wheel attached to its body by its abdomen.


“While I do not know his name, nor what he is like, this is the Pokémon’s supposed ‘God’,” Nthoggom said, quoting the last word with two of his tentacles. “I have little to no information about these creatures, but what I do know is that this puny deity seeks refuge for both his pokemon and another race called humans, whom he has also turned into Pokémon.”


“I assume that these creatures will oppose us,” The king sighed, giving an annoyed look towards the red projection of this new god. “Unless you know of another way to deal with them, great one?” He questioned, really hoping that the Old God has an answer. Nothing was more dangerous than an unknown enemy added into an equation that never considered them.


“Yes and no---” The Eldritch Abomination said. He then started the wiggle about and started coughing heavily. His two followers gave him looks of worry, but he held an arm out as they approached him, stopping them with the gesture. He started the hack out things, these objects flying out of his great mouth. Some were glowing swords, flaming wands, some kind of cylinder like tube with a handle of some kind, a golden ring that had strange writing etched into it, and finally a red and black horn.


The horn of King Sombra.


How the horn ended up in the gullet instead of an Old God that’s been trapped in a golden statue for centuries instead of the Canterlot Museum is beyond Tidal and Spout, but it seemed that the creature's power was on par with the Lord of Chaos, Discord. And this was when the creature was not at his full power...to even imagine what he could do when he regains his strength is somewhat frightening to the two followers.


“What are you going to do with that horn?” The manta ray asked nervously, for Sombra’s reputation had traveled all around the world. He was known for his horrible enslavement of the Crystal ponies and his attempt to take over Equestria.


“I need someone to test the will power of these Pokémon; to see how easy it is to manipulate and control them,” Nthoggom said cooly, dark energy surrounding the floating horn. “But if I were to do it myself, I risk being discovered. So, good old Sombra is the next best choice. He’s ambitious, so this makes him susceptible to deals that will give him power. He is arrogant, so he is likely to believe that he is the one in control, when it will really be me.” The Old God chuckled evilly, while Tidal and Spout gave him looks of worry.


“What?” The creature questioned, seeing the conflicted looks on his followers face. “You don’t actually care so much for these creatures and the other nations of the world, do you?” All of his followers knew of his history, and his goals for world domination.


“It’s not that, Lord Nthoggom…” The serpent king said, giving his deity a look of sadness. “But...you never said anything about us becoming slavers. You promised us a world of freedom, ruled under one power that would only govern if we were in trouble, and that a united people would lead the world.”


Nthoggom gave the serpent a confused look, his smile never fading. He was aware of the promise, and he would make good on his word...so how had he endangered that promise? It was looking back at the horn that he saw the problem.


“Some may consider me evil, probably the greatest evil of all,” The Old God stated, somewhat miffed at the assumption his two followers had come to. “But such titles and concepts like good and bad mean little to me...however, I am no slaver! Slavery is installed by weak and pathetic beings, hoping to feel some sense of superiority by crushing those who are not as powerful.” He swam around the water, his limbs whipping out angrily.


“I am far stronger than most of the other inhabitants of this world,” Nthoggom laughed, giving his loyal followers a toothy grin. “And as such, I do not need to destroy those weaker than me, for it is both a waste of my time and their potential. I have the power to influence others, to convince them through words of truth and logic that will lead them to joining me. Sombra will be just a tool for me to use...and when his use runs out, so will his existence.”


A loud thumping noise emanated from the horn as a skeleton of a pony stemmed from the horns base, muscles and other flesh growing over the bones, and the fur and mane of the former tyrant soon came after there was flesh. The pony groaned as he attempted to stand or even open his eyes. Spout placed a waterbreathing spell on the unicorn in order to ensure he would not drown.


“Good evening, friend!” Nthoggom said cheerfully, moving over to the struggling king. He waved one of his eight arms at his two followers, informing them to leave. The gray unicorn finally managed to open his eyes, giving the strange creature before him a look of shock. The Old God held out one of his tentacles as a gesture for a handshake, a blue fire alighting the small end of his octopus arm. “My name’s Nthoggom! What’s yours, pal?”










.

Author's Note:

Hello Everyone!

Chapter 1, it is done! I'm not going to say much, but I'm going to list each new character that appears in the story for the first time

Like so:
Spout, the Manta Ray Priestess!
Spout is the loyal and eccentric servant of Nthoggom, coming from a long line of Priests who speak for the Old God. Generally the caring type, this manta ray tends to focus on improving the lives of others with the aid of her deity.
Age: 23
Race: Manta Ray
Affiliation: Servant of Nthoggom
Occupation: Priestess

King Tidal!
Tidal is the latest king who is chosen for his loyalty and sense of duty to his kingdom. He is the pragmatic type, often acting as the voice of reason when dealing with situations. This attitude often brings people to a calm state of mind.
Age: 20
Race: Sea serpent
Affiliation: Ally of Nthoggom
Occupation: King of Nthoggom's people

Nthoggom, The last of The Old Gods!
This Old God is the sole survivor of the creatures that came to Equus from the Void. Nthoggom has a somewhat crazy personality, often using her strange body to defy the laws of nature and his powers to baffle those who cannot comprehend powers outside the laws of Equus. Contrast to the legends told about this creature, it seems as though he is but an eccentric monster...

Whether the legends of this terrible Old God are wrong or that this fun-going attitude is just a facade is yet to be decided. What is known is that whatever he has planned for the inhabitants of this world, it isn't going to be fun.
Age: ???
Race: Eldritch Abomination
Affiliation: Old Gods
Occupation: Old God

Sombra...no one likes Sombra :trollestia:

Edited by Glitchhunter5000