• Published 19th Dec 2015
  • 11,876 Views, 415 Comments

A Stallion's Man - Spirit Shift



Life sucks when six gay stallions are after you. What's a straight human to do?

  • ...
47
 415
 11,876

CH13: That Feeling You Get, You Know The One

It was nice to finally be back in his own home, and it not be charred and smelling of soot. Barrett patted the wall beside him with a grin. It’d been two weeks since the wedding, and everything seemed all in all, just fine. “I guess I owe Applejack and to a lesser degree Dusk a thank you present or something. Maybe a party, or something?” Barrett stood back against the doorframe, a hand idly adjusting his glasses. “Guess I’ll go see Barry, at some point.”

Barrett shrugged and popped a hand against the other side of the door frame. The human pushed off from his position and toward the front door, his front door, one that he could use to block ponies from admitting their feelings or other such nonsense. Barrett lovingly stroked a hand down the polished wood. It truly was nice to have privacy once again, he thought as he slowly turned the knob to the wide-wide world outside.

The jaunt through the peaceful streets of Ponyville was relaxing and to Barrett’s ever satisfaction, free from any distractions. Barrett waved at Bar-Bar who was making his way to his shop. Barrett smiled wide as the confectionist waved back. He saluted Dopey as the clumsy mail-colt made his way through the clear skies above. It was almost as perfect as a day could be.

Barrett stopped in his tracks his vision flicking to the edges of his periphery. A strange amorphous black smudge seemed to stick just out of sight. Barrett blinked, placed both hands behind his back and started his stroll again. This time he even started a jaunty little whistle. Barret made it another block before suddenly whipping around toward the smudge. When he did so, he found the blemish was in fact, nothing? Barrett cocked a brow and slid his glasses off. He gave them a thorough wiping and gingerly replaced them on his nose. He looked back at the street. The street was empty, devoid of any smudge at all.

“Weird,” Barrett said to nothing in particular. He peered out of the corner of his eye to find the smudge no longer there. He turned back to his original path and peered out again. The stain was still gone, Barrett shrugged and continued his march.

---

Barrett plunked over the mini-bridge that marked the home of his demeanor accomplice in the written arts. Barrett let a soft knock against the hobbit hole door that Butterscotch swore he knew nothing about. The house inside was tranquil, for a home that hosted like three dozen critters of some sort at a time. Barrett knocked again a bit harder. The sound of a thump followed by a turning lock was all the warning Barrett needed to be met with the tiny visage of spoiled pets known merely as Angelica.

“Hey,” Barrett gave the bunny a curt wave. “Scotch home?”

Angelica rolled her eyes and waved the human in. The two made it to the living room in whole, where Barrett found a spot on the couch. Angelica for her part thumped a foot impatiently trading glances between Barrett and the stairs.

“Should I--” Barrett was interrupted by the growl of the bunny as she held up a paw in protest. Barrett sighed and motioned to the tony rabbit. “Well?”

Angelica bounded up the stairs, as Barrett quietly sat and watched, hands clasped between his legs. Barrett could only guess what followed. A door knock, a startled eep, Angry rabbit noises, and a bunch of whispers and whimpering.

Barrett coughed and tried a more direct approach. “Scotch, you okay, I can come back later if you want?” Barrett cringed at the sound of something heavy hitting the floor above him.

“No, no, I’m--I mean. I’ll, I’ll be down in just a minute,” Butterscotch yelled from the room above. Barrett knit his brow together, and hands-on knees pushed himself up. There was another bout of whispers and what Barrett thought and hoped wasn’t the sound of a bunny slapping the poor stallion for whatever reason.

Nope, Barrett thought as he jumped from his seat and walked toward the stairs. In a matter of seconds, he was not only in fact at the stairs, but had reached the top of them as well. It was such a feat that the denizens of the room beyond the door atop those stairs hadn’t noticed. In fact, Butterscotch was still whispering beyond the door.

“What if he hates the color, or the trim, oh I know I should’ve asked Lucy,” Scotch stopped as a series of angry squeaks, and another slap overshadowed the poor thing. “Maybe I still have time to, oh what’s the point.”

Barrett felt odd. He firstly felt annoyed that Angelica was apparently repeatedly hitting his friend. Secondly the whimpering depressed self-loathing of his friend made him want to hug that very friend until they felt better. However, beyond all of that, he felt very, very confused. Barrett in his vast and unending time making choices, for better or worse made another in that very moment. Barrett stood tall, placed a hand on the doorknob, and through open that door. It was his duty to help his friend, his scared and often anxiety riddled friend, a friend whom he’d already upset once in recent memory. He would help that friend with their problem. Barrett took in the room and felt his jaw go slack.

Barrett had expected many scenarios, some more likely than others. Barrett’s eyes trailed up and down the current predicament. Barrett’s mind raced, the room now a frozen canvas in his mind.

A series of questions past in quick succession: Did Butterscotch do this often? Was he talking about me, before? Butterscotch was probably still super good at sewing, but dresses? Barrett clawed sat his shirt collar, a bead of sweat running down his brow. Barrett could imagine Scotch making vests or suits, yeah, he’d worn a suit at the wedding. A nice simple black tux, it was clear and crisp against his otherwise butter yellow coat, but this, this was mellow, light, almost cyan, but a shade or so off.

The silky dress caressed his friend's back, smoothing out his frame. He seemed smaller, gentler if that was possible. In a way, reminiscent of Fluttershy in how he let the dress be bold in his place. His nervous pout did not faze Angelica, who frowned at him in gruff exasperation.

A twittering of birds pulled the room back to reality. The silk seemed to dance across Scotch’s form as he raised his head to the fellowship of some birds who’d flown onto the sill of Butter’s open window. A small smile lit Butter’s face as the light caught his form when he shifted. Barrett found his eyes unable to look away. It had all the staying power of train wreck and all the grace of a sunset over the sea.

Angelica waved a hand in the direction of several of the birds, who took to the air. In a single swoop, they took up a length of lace and shaped it like a frame in between the Barrett and the surprised Butterscotch, who’d only just noticed the human. The lace was shaped like a heart, which only emphasized the dark red that had enveloped both Scotch’s cheeks and muzzle.

“B-Barrett,” and with that single word the spell broke and Barrett blinked. Barrett gripped a hand tight at his heart and let out a breath, one he’d been unaware he’d been holding.

It’s just Butterscotch, in a dress, but just Scotch. Barrett’s mind raced as he took in the waiting stallion again. The dress aside, Barrett thought, it was still just Butterscotch, and he was far from going to judge the poor thing on his hobbies, a hobby he’d walked in on. So, yep, Barrett, this is your fault. Barrett raised a hand for a weak wave. “Hey, Scotch, sorry to um, interrupt. I um, eh, just kinda thought Angelica was well, herself. So, I came up too--” Barrett trailed off as he waved his hands for more words to say. Though as it were, that seemed rather unlikely.

“Oh, no, she was just...” Scotch looked over to the bunny, face still bright red. The little bunny barely noticed as she rolled around in fits of laughter. “...she was trying to help me find my nerve.”

Barrett gave a still thumbs up. “Oh, well, cool I guess.”

“Um, do you like it? The dress I mean,” Butterscotch took a modest step forward and gave a nervous smile.

“Uh, yeah, I guess. It’s pretty and all,” Barrett said taking a keen interest in the nearest lamp.

“Really?” Scotch said, darting into the air, eyes wide, with a matching toothy grin. The fading red of his cheeks returned in a fury as he hovered closer and closer to the human. “You really think I’m pretty?”

Barrett inched toward the door. He felt a certain heat in his chest as he tried to wrap his mind around the scenario. What should he say? In truth, Barrett thought most ponies were cute, like oversized puppies. But this was a bit out of his depth. Barrett made a plan, it was sure to succeed, it had too.

“Yeah, uh--huh, stunning dress, I’m glad you felt like sharing your hobby and all. But I really gotta go, I really need to see Barry about a party and, well, bye,” Barrett smiled, waved and darted out of the room like his pants had in fact been consumed by flames most foul.

Butterscotch stared at the now empty doorway. A now calm Angelica bound over to the stunned stallion and offered a consolatory pat on the hoof. Angelica for all her spirit, and will was not expecting the crushing hug of her dearest friend. She between heaving breaths and the sound of breaking bones looked up at Butterscotch. Her brow was flung beyond the reach of even Solaris as she took in his dreamy smile.

The stallion looked down at his hug buddy. “Did you hear that Angelica? Barrett thinks I’m pretty,” The bunny if it were possible within the iron grip of her captor, would have first planted a paw to her own face and then a much harder one to his.

---

Barrett had made it several hundred feet back into town and now stood slouched over desperately gulping at air. Barrett thought back to the scene, then to the last time he’d spent one on one time with Scotch. He shook his head, god knows he doesn’t need Blitz blowing up again over an accident.

Barrett righted his posture and took in the town street. He would be the first to admit he hadn’t been at Butterscotch’s cottage that long, but the roads still seemed rather barren. A pony here and there made their way about. Octavis made his way down the path, Crest with a smile cantered by on his way to his office, and even the twin pegasi brothers who worked on the weather team, their names oddly escaped Barrett. Barrett shrugged and started off for Sugarcube Corner.

“I probably just missed the rush is all,” he paused for a second, as he peered out of the side of his vision. It was only for a second, but he thought he saw the black blot again. The blot still on the back of his mind he continued on toward his destination.

Sugarcube Corner was as busy as usual, which Barrett thought contrasted the empty streets a bit. He’d only made it two steps in before he found himself ensnared in a tight embrace.

“Morning Bare-Bare,” Barry said his face buried in Barrett’s shirt. The human rolled his eyes as he waited for the bubbly stallion to come up for air. It took longer than he’d expected but shorter than he’d feared. Barrett met the brilliant blue eyes of his least and most favorite baker.

“Morning to you too,” Barrett gave the stallion a gentle pat on the head. Berry grinned full and before he knew what happened Barrett found himself in a chair at a table in the direct center of the sweets shop.

“So, what can I get you today, huh?” Barry asked a pencil and pad in hoof.

“Actually I kinda wanted to talk about a party I’m planning,” Barrett said clapping both hands together.

Barry let out a gasp, jittered in place and nodded. It was like watching someone have a stroke while sugar high, as in awkward and distressing. “Oo, oo, what kinda party, birthday, anniversary, big party, small party, admitting you want to date a pink baker pony party, a welcome party, a goodbye party, huh huh, what’s the party?” The longer Barry spoke, the dizzier his companion got.

Barrett reached across the table and held the pony by the shoulders to the best of his ability. His arms jittering slightly as he resisted the physics-defying baker with all his might. “A thank you, a freakin thank you party,” Barrett yelled as Barry babbled on.

“Oh, okay,” Barry stopped shaking, a calm smile on his face, Barrett’s arms so far behind they continued to vibrate as he withdrew them. “For who?”

Barrett sat on his hands and looked back up and into Barry’s giant blue eyes. “Applejack, and Dusk, to a lesser degree. You know for getting my house all fixed up.”

“Oh right. I totally forgot Dusk and Barb burned your cozy little home to the ground,” Barry burst into a fit of giggles.

“Yeah, that,” Barrett's arms restabilized snapped his fingers at the snickering stallion. “So, up for helping me?”

Barry beamed and blew a raspberry. “Are you kidding, parties are what I do Barre-boo. Just leave it to your loving friend Barry, I’ve got this.”

“Great, so, what should I do?” Barrett asked.

“Well, it’s Thursday, so why don’t you invite the guests of honor for Saturday, and I’ll get everything prepped and ready,” Barry through up his hooves and waved within an excited flurry.

“You sure?”

Barry nodded and pulled Barrett into a side hug. “Yepperoni, anything for my silly little human.”

Barrett rolled his eyes and stood. He took about two steps before turning on his heel to a still smiling Barry. “Actually, I have one more question.”

Barry hopped to Barrett’s side nudged him. “Do tell.”

Barrett folded his arms and tapped his fingers rhythmically against his upper arm. “Have you noticed anything weird today?”

“Weird how, like banana cream in a blackberry tart, or like chocolate rain, or-or, how about aliens being thrown into our world via unexplained portals.” Barry had taken to jumping about wildly, zipping from one side of Barrett to the other as he made suggestions.

Barrett grabbed Barry out of the air and focused the stallion’s bright eyes on his own. “No like, the fact the entire town seems eerily quiet and empty today. Or the fact I swear I keep seeing weird blobs in the corner of my eye. That kind of weird.”

Barry resorted to a series of faces and hums as he scratched idly at the back of his neck. A solid minute passed before the Barry refocused on Barrett. “Nope, that sounds pretty silly Barrett. Oo, oo, is this a prank, or are you pitching a scary story idea?” Barry asked with a gasp.

“No Barry, nevermind. Oh, and thanks for the help,” Barrett offered a pat on the head and simple wave. “I guess I’ll see you Saturday.”

Barry waved and blew a few kisses as Barrett returned to the streets outside. He took a quick glance down both sides of the road. The streets were bustling with ponies. He rubbed a hand over his eyes and readjusted his glasses. He then took the glasses off examined them a bit and replaced them on his nose.

He chuckled to himself and trotted off toward the closer domicile of his duo of party guests. The humble tree home of a crazed magical librarian. “You’re losing it, Biggs, you’re losing it.”

---

Barrett stood at the door to the local library and readied a hand to knock. He stopped himself and opened the door, strolling in. It may be Dusk’s home, but it was also a public space, screw knocking. The library, like most other times Barrett had found himself in the hub of knowledge, was nearly empty. He couldn’t help but wonder if anyone besides Dusk and occasionally Blitz even knew how to read in the strange little town he called home.

“Dusk, you home?” Barrett called into the domain of literature. The sound of scrabbling hooves on wood and breathless mumbles had Barrett countdown from three.

“3,” The sound of something breakable falling upstairs followed by a groan.

“2,” The sound of a door being flung open and a certain sassy lizard yelling at her guardian.

“1,” The district pop of magic, that lead to the unprepared rush of Dusk Shine appearing a bit too close to Barrett for his liking. The memory of ‘The Fly’ running through his mind as he took a giant step back.

“You are the beacon for clockwork habits and predictable outcomes, my friend,” Barrett said with a faux posh accent. Dusk huffed as he tried to tidy his mane, which had been frazzled in his pursuit to join his guest.

“Good morning to you too,” Dusk returned his hair at least marginally under control.

“A weird day, that’s for sure,” Barrett offered.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I swear there was something bizarre happening this morning, like half of Ponyville’s, well, ponies just vanished for a while.” Barrett flicked a finger at the door. “But, the second I pointed it out, poof, everything was back to normal.”

“Are you sure you didn’t just miss the morning traffic, or maybe you were just too caught up in your own thoughts. Trust me, I’ve had that happen a couple times,” Dusk blushed and smiled wryly as he looked back on his own past.

“Try like a million,” Barb said as she jogged down the stairs. She offered a cheeky grin to Dusk and a leer that could wilt daisies to Barrett. “Nark.”

“Barb, be nice,” Dusk chided as the young dragoness made her way to the kitchen without another word.

“Anyway,” Barrett said trying to salvage the conversation. “I thought the same, but then I kept seeing this weird thing out of the corner of my eye.”

“Weird thing?” Dusk asked moving a bit closer, eyes sparkling.

“Yeah, like a black blob that was always just out the corner of my eye. I asked Barry about it, and he thought I was crazy,” Barrett said and shrugged.

“Perhaps an issue with your eyes, or glasses?” Dusk asked levitating said glasses from their perch and giving them a once over.

“Again, maybe, but the second all the ponies were back, the blob was gone. It’s just strange is all.”

Dusk finished with the glasses returned them from whence they came. “That is peculiar. Though with no solid evidence or pattern I really wouldn’t know what to make of it. I would suggest waiting and seeing if it happens again. If we can prove a pattern, then finding the source will be far easier.”

Fair enough, oh right, before I forget. Are you busy Saturday afternoon?”

Dusk blanched and stared up at the human. “Busy? I don’t think so, why?” Dusk felt his heart skip a beat.

“Cool, then maybe you’d like to join me at Sugarcube corner?” Barrett asked with a smirk. He felt a certain satisfaction in being able to use these ponies impeccable obsession with him for once in his own favor.

“Yes, yesyesyesyes,” Dusk shouted, with a dopey grin.

“Great, then I’ll see you, say one-ish?” Barrett received an energetic nod. “Oh, and I’ll let you know if I see the blot thing again.”

“Please do,” Dusk replied with a surprising level of calm after his joyous response a moment ago. “It wouldn’t be right for me to turn a blind eye to something odd, especially after all I’ve been through in Ponyville.”

Barrett nodded. “Agreed, odd is odd, I’ll keep you posted.” Barrett offered a fist. To which Dusk ducked under and sniped a quick hug instead. Barrett shook his head and gave the unicorn this one. A fair trade for taking his odd morning serious.

Barrett gave a wave as he walked back into the midday sun. He peered into the corner of his vision, to reveal nothing in particular. “Maybe it was all in my head.” He thought aloud. With a roll of his shoulders and a deep breath he made his way back into town, there were still others to invite to his party. Barrett waved at a passing Toffee, who waved back.

Barrett passed the local cafe, where a group of giggling mares was enjoying a nice lunch. Barrett felt his stomach gurgle as he regretted not getting something while talking to Barry. One of life’s many mistakes, nothing new for Barrett Biggs. Barrett stopped as his mind connected a couple dots. The gaggle of mares. Barrett turned back, to see Toffee happily conversing with the others. Barrett pointed a finger to the mare in question and followed it back down the street. “How did she?” Barrett asked as he scanned the street before him.

Barrett let out a heavy sigh, shook his head in his hands and started the walk back toward Sweet Apple Acres. “Nope, not my problem, not today.”

Author's Note:

That last line: Me every time i wake up in the morning and think about life