• Published 19th Dec 2015
  • 11,876 Views, 415 Comments

A Stallion's Man - Spirit Shift



Life sucks when six gay stallions are after you. What's a straight human to do?

  • ...
47
 415
 11,876

CH10: A Blurred Line

“But, why? I had a plan and everything. Is this because of the burning down your house thing? I thought we were past that!”

Dusk Shine stared up at Barrett tears on the verge of spilling, lips a tremble and in short, he looked like an upset puppy.

“I promise, I made a list and checked it twice, how else are we going to grow closer if you won’t even join me for a picnic?” Dusk’s breathing hitched as he blindly wiped at his watering eyes.

Barrett sat, hands intertwined and chin resting above. He watched the unicorn as he vainly tried to calm himself. When it became clear that was unlikely, Barrett sat up to his full height in the wooden chair that he’d taken a seat in upon entering the golden Oaks. Barrett held up a finger.

“First, it wouldn’t be joining you,” he said, his emphasis smacking Dusk like a moist salmon to the snoot. “I believe others were invited. Secondly, this has nothing to do with the house thing, though I still expect that to be fixed in full,” Barrett eyed Dusk, a finger jabbed hard into the Stallion’s forehead. “And thirdly, I am not and have never been, gay,” Barrett re-jabbed the unicorn who had taken to rolling his eyes as wide and slowly as he could muster.

“Fine, I’d concede the first point, but that still doesn’t tell me why you can’t come,” Dusk said, eyes like javelins into Barrett’s own. “I mean, you've got to work with me here, I can only do so much of the work to make it good for you.”

Barrett squirmed in his seat. He chewed haplessly at the inside of his cheek. He was caught in between what he should do and what he was supposed to do.

“Look,” he said after a long silence, “Trust me, alright. If I go, things will get messed up real quick. It’s uh...” Barrett trailed off as he lacked the words he was looking for. The chewing became harder as took to rubbing his hands together. “...I’m really not sure how to explain it, but some things are just better left to fate.”

Dusk looked up at Barrett, Barrett looked down at Dusk, the room silent as the two size each other up. Dusk was the first to drop his gaze, a pout the premiere attraction on his wilted expression. “Fine, don’t come. But, I wish you’d be more honest with me.”

Like a shot through the heart, Barrett winced at that one. A burner of homes, thesis creator of love and the overall overbearing pony he might be, Barrett still if perhaps begrudgingly saw Dusk as a friend. Barrett opened his mouth to speak, thought better of it and rose from his seat. “I promise, it’ll make sense later,” Barrett said before he exited the library. It was Friday morning, all he had to do was make it through this weekend, and everything would be fine.

It was as he plodded down the path to the park when he swore he heard a laugh on the wind. Barrett’s brown knit together as he scanned the surrounding street. Ponies made their way to and fro, one might stop to talk with another or enter a building, but there didn’t seem to a be anyone laughing. Barrett shrugged and continued on, perhaps he’d let his paranoia get the better of him.

---

“You did good Biggs, ya did good,” Barrett said from his bar stool in Wheat’s shitty little pub. The room was pretty dead, though it was only like noon, on a Saturday no less. Wheat stood behind the bar a cloth in one hoof as he cleaned out another glass mug.

“You know, you really like talking to yourself there, bud,” Wheat said with a crooked smile. “I mean’ you’ve been sitting there nursing that beer for like ten minutes muttering about how you did something or another. It’s kind of weird, even for an alien monkey like you,” Wheat burst into a bout of laughter as Barrett glared daggers at the barkeep.

Barrett took a mighty gulp of his poison and smirked hard at the shrewd stallion. “Yeah, whatever, Wheat. At least I’m not a withered old drunk who barely makes enough to pay his own tab, let alone make a profit.”

Wheat clutched his cloth covered hoof over his heart and stepped back a bit. “Ouch, my pride, whatever shall I do about your impeccable wit.”

“I hate you,” Barrett said between sips of beer.

“No, you don’t,” Wheat responded with a smile. “So, what exactly has you here this early anyway?”

“Short answer, I totally didn’t go to a picnic this morning,” Barrett raised his glass high.

“And?” Wheat asked.

“And that kept the timeline fixed and shit. Season two survives,” Barrett let out a chuckle and returned his glass to the bartop.

Wheat for all his drunken glory has thought on occasion that he was in fact a reasonable and thoughtful pony. So, with that in mind, and with all the patience only a father could have, the barkeep smiled and nodded, he nodded as if his life depended on it.

“Just let the crazy human have it,” Wheat muttered into his washcloth.

“Now I just gotta wait for the wedding to end and everything will be fine,” Barrett said as he ran a hand over his face.

It was then that Wheat took Barrett in at full, the bags under his eyes, the pasty complexion that seemed a bit paler than he recalled and the overall drained existence of Equestria’s only human. “What wedding?”

The royal one, Dusk’s bro--I mean sister and the Prince of Love, I’m not sure what his male name is. It’s in a couple days, and Dusk just got the invite,” Barrett baled resting his head on a palm.

Wheat placed the mug he’d been cleaning back on the bar top and leaned in toward Barrett. “Wait, what, when did this happen?”

“The marriage, well I assume after the proposal happened,” Barett said getting a blank look from his companion. “You meant the invite and such, right?” Barrett asked, to which he received a curt nod. “At the picnic.”

Wheat with all the patience of a father and a reasonable hard working stallion did what any hardworking father could. He reached across the bar and slapped his friend upside the head. “Idiot,”

Barrett rubbed a hand across his now aching head. “Hey, what the hell, Wheat?”

“Start making sense,” Wheat said waving his hoof in the air.

“With what?” Barrett asked standing from his bar stool and leaning forward on the bartop.

Wheat furrowed his brow and pointed toward the door. “How could you know about an invite to a wedding, if you weren’t at the picnic where the wedding invite was delivered.”

Barrett hand still rubbing his jaw contemplated this. After a few seconds, he answered. “If I said I saw it in a cartoon, would you believe me?”

Wheat fell back behind the bar and tilted his head. “Isn’t that one of those human things you and Harp butt are always on about?”

Barrett nodded. “Yeah, those.”

“You know what, forget it, I’m not drunk enough for this,” Wheat said, sighed heartily and pulled a nice bottle of whiskey from under the counter. He took two newly cleaned mugs and poured a nice healthy liver rooting helpings for himself and his crazy human friend. “Here, I need a drink, and a wise tender never drinks alone.”

“Cheers then,” Barrett said taking the musky brown beverage and clanged it neatly into Wheat’s own identical drink.

“To the wedding then, you know, if it real and all,” offered as he downed his fill. Barrett opened his mouth to retort, stopped shrugged and downed his as well.

---

Hours had passed, and Barrett felt awesome. Who would have guessed that endless booze and terrible karaoke in a small one-horse town could make a guy forget everything and anything he should or should not remember? Barrett stumbled up to the door of the Apple family home and stopped, hand on the door latch. He shook his head and turned about, only slightly tumbling forward and into the nice lilac bush Red Gala had planted a couple weeks back.

“S’barn, ca-can’ haf tha noice whols’m famil seeth is,” Barrett said followed by a chuckle and hiccup, both at the same time. Barrett decided he’d call it a chuckup, yep that’s what it was. In a manner much like a blind ox in a china shop, Barrett stumbled, clawed, waddled and spun his way to the front door of the barn.

“Op um says ma,” Barrett commanded shoving the heavy wooden door open. Barrett had only barely made it in the nice safe confines of the surprisingly organized venue before he took a nice long deep breath and fell face first onto the ground. The only sign of life a snort and gargled unintelligible noises one might mistake for talking. You know if they too were as drunk and asleep as Barrett currently was.

---

Barrett stood atop a snow-capped mountain, the wind ripped at his jacket. He smiled out at the sparkling night sky. He unscrewed the cap of a metal flask and took a hefty swig of the contents. It was perfect, Barrett turned around, to simple log cabin nestled in between a throng of sturdy pines. No cares in the world, no people, no ponies, just an endless world of white.

Barrett plodded through the half foot of snow and to the door of the humble home. He wiped a ginger gloved hand over the charred wood of the door. The door ripped open forward, Barrett stumbled back as a shadow was cast in the threshold of his simple lodging. Barrett threw a hand over his brow as he took in the shape.

Barrett only had time to mutter a curse below his steaming breath before he was wrapped in a dark blue aura and pulled into the noticeably warmer cabin’s main room.

“Greetings my dearest consort. I had no idea you dreamt of such romantic scenery. May I assume you did so, for our enjoyment?” Artemis’ voice was several decimals louder than was absolutely necessary, especially when the target of his words was currently wrapped tight in his fuzzy embrace.

“Goddamn it, shoulda guessed it was a dream,” Barrett said between his trivial flailing and the tightened grip of the prince.

Artemis released Barrett and grinned. His eyes half-lidded, the hints of a blush in the fire lit cabin’s cozy living space. “But of course, where other than in the dreams of my dearest, would we be found in such a secluded, intimate location.’

“Shouldn’t you be watching for threats and preparing for the wedding or something?” Barrett asked finding the nearest plush lounge chair and falling into its sweet embrace.

Artemis’ smile widened further. “I knew you’d accept your place by our side,” Artemis let out a somewhat girlish squeal before promptly tackling Barrett out of his seat, where he took to nuzzling the human.

“What, gah, no--” Barrett shoved the overly affectionate stallion from his person. “I meant the current one, with Dusk’s sister, that wedding.”

Artemis’ deflated a bit, eyes poised to the ground, one hoof dug hard into the floor. “Oh, o-of course you meant that one. I apologize, I perhaps let my feelings get the better of me.”

Barrett ushered himself back into the seat he’d been excommunicated from a moment prior. “Yeah, whatever, I should’ve seen that coming either way. But seriously, shouldn’t you be watching the castle or whatever?”

“But of course, I watched over the castle all night long, as is our place as Prince of the Night,” Artemis said a hood placed over his chest.

“Wait, what, but isn’t it night right now?”

Artemis shook his head. “To the contrary my dear consort, it is actually almost noon, If my internal clock has not failed me, which it has never done so before.”

“Noon, you’re kidding right?” Barrett asked looking about the room in surprise. “Why the hell am I still sleeping?”

The Prince of the Night let out a short laugh and stepped closer towards the rattled human. “I believe you were sleeping off a long day of merriment and ravel,” The prince leaned in and took a deep breath of Barret’s shirt. “You smell of sweat and alcohol.” Artemis winked as Barrett found even in his dreams his cheeks were cast in sheets of red.

“Right, sorry about that,” Barrett managed between trying to shrink into his seat and fade away.

Artemis tapped a hoof to his chin. “Actually, I must admit I am rather surprised you did not join Dusk Shine and the other elements for the wedding.”

“Well, I mean, I may have declined the invite,” Barrett said, his reddened cheeks calmed for the moment.

“Oh, and why would you do that?” Artemis asked.

“Fate, mostly, sometimes when one knows a secret, it is better to let others discover the truth on their own,” Barrett sat up in his seat, hands folded neatly on his legs as he cast his eye to the flames of the fireplace.

“And what if that secret does more harm by keeping than by waiting for the truth to reveal itself?” Artemis asked. Barrett sighed and shook his head. He thought back to the show, to how hard Twilight had to fight to reveal the Changelings and how if it wasn’t for the plot, she could have died, how they all could have died.

“Life can be harsh, the truth is a rarity if you can offer someone that, shouldn’t you?” Artemis’ words rung in Barrett’s ears.

“This isn’t a story, no guarantees, this is real, isn’t it?” Barrett asked. His eyes met Artemis’ own. The gaze lasted a moment and a moment alone.

“This world, the lives of those here, and yes, even this dream are real. Life is a story, that is true, but the stories of life rarely have happy endings. My past is proof of that. Though,” Artemis stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Barrett’s neck.” I believe I am still searching for such an ending even now.”

Barrett wavered only a second before he returned the tender hug. “Thanks, Artemis.”

Artemis pulled away, eyes sparkled as he smiled brightly at the human. “Of course, it is my duty as a prince and my pleasure as your friend.”

Barrett pulled a surprised prince back into the hug. Barrett’s mind raced with the fortunes of those in Canterlot. A scene of Dusk falling into the crystal mines below Canterlot Castle forced the human to grit his teeth.

“Barrett?” Artemis asked, as Barrett’s grip tightened further.

In a snap reality returned to Barrett, or dream reality anyway. Barrett released his friend and coughed into a fist. “Sorry, I just remembered something important.”

Artemis tilted his head, ears swiveled as he beckoned the human further. “Oh?”

The flames in the fireplace flicked, the embers dwindled the dark crept into the corners of the cozy cabin. “Dusk’s in trouble, like real trouble.”

A sudden rumble shook the cabin. The fire flickered as Artemis waved at the human. “Your waking is nigh, you must be brief, what plagues young Dusk Shine,” Artemis leans in toward Barrett.

Barrett shot from his seat, hands wrapping around Artemis’ shoulders. “Crap, listen, you need to get me to Canterlot now, the threat, it’s Changelings, there are Changelings in Canterlot. Dusk needs hel--” Barrett’s voice drifted off as he clawed desperately at the unconscious whims of his waking mind. The last thing in the dreamscape Barrett saw was the full, surprised eyes of the prince and a then blinding light.