• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 1,995 Views, 169 Comments

Afraid Of My Shadow - Deyeaz



Sometimes, our most irrational fears can become our worst nightmares.... (Sequel to Horns, Hooves, and Fur)

  • ...
7
 169
 1,995

IX - Dancing With Royalty (Jace)

Craimer’s Note: Hey guys! Haven’t seen one of these in a while, eh? I just wanted to say, sorry for so many songs in this one, I wanted to have the effect of a large party and make it good for everypony to have fun at, and so this called for three songs. Hope you enjoy!

Afraid Of My Shadow

Written by CraimerX and ShadowWeaver

IX - Dancing With Royalty(Jace)

I looked up from the deck to see Luna and Celestia both making their way through the crowd. My jaw went a bit slack, my eyes becoming as large as dinner plates. Praxis dawned the same look as me and turned to me. He pointed at the Princesses and I read his face, ‘HOW DID THEY KNOW?!’

I shrugged and he extended both arms towards the approaching royalty, having a mini fit all the while as if saying, ‘HOOOOOOOOWWW?!’

“How did you all know, anyways!?” I asked loudly as the ponies in the room bowed before the princesses.

“Rise, my loyal subjects,” Celestia ordered calmly; the ponies did as she asked and stood at attention. “Well, Pinkie Pie does throw the most tremendous parties, doesn’t she?”

“Plus, we wish to celebrate the return of the both of you!” Luna declared, pointing her hoof at both me and Praxis.

The satyr shook his head in incredulity and muttered a swear in Arabic, his curtains of snow-white hair flopping back and forth as he scratched the back of his head with his all-black right hand. I shuddered at the cerulean draconic eye on his hand that seemed to look around. When it spotted me, it blinked twice, and I just stared more, my gaze becoming fiery. I swear I saw that thing do a double take of me and never look back.

“Saw that,” Praxis muttered. I looked at him in shock. Wait... he can see out of that thing as well?! “Judging by the look on your face, you’re probably wondering if I can see out of the eye.” I nodded when he flexed his hand, creeped out by how he knew that. “I’ll tell you later, probably tomorrow morning.”

“Er... alright,” Vinyl Scratch said. “Let’s just have fun.” Me and Fluffy both nodded in earnest.

“‘Ey, Prax? Ya know how to dance?” I asked my furry companion.

“I haven’t danced since I was a kid, so it’s been awhile,” Praxis admitted, shrugging. “But why not? I might get my mojo back if I work into it.”

“‘Tis the spirit, Praxis!” Luna hollered.

“Ahh... Dancing... I remember when I was actually able to dance well... But that was back in my sophomore year of high school.” I picked up a bottle and looked at the label. “The hell is this?”

“Vod-” Before Vinyl could finish, I had downed the whole bottle in a matter of seconds. “...Damn.” Praxis and I chuckled at her flat words.

“Ready, bro?” I asked Praxis.

“Well, as ready as I can be,” he answered back.

“Vi, can you handle this by yourself?” I told Vinyl as I gave her my iPod Touch and watched as she hooked it up to the turntable.

“Hell yeah!” Vinyl said with a grin, her red eyes glinting behind her cog-glasses. She pressed the play button on one song, and without warning, me and Praxis started to dance.

However, we didn’t expect Celestia and Luna to join in as well.

“What’s this?” I said. “Royalty dancing with mere peons?”

“This I gotta see,” Praxis commented.

As the music started up, I struck up a pose and Praxis tossed me my fedora. I put it on and went from side to side, clapping my hands to the beat of the song.

The result of my little warm up, was Vinyl trotting over to Praxis and staring at me. “...Jace can dance?”

“Apparently so...” He was as shocked as her from the earlier display of skill that I possessed still.

“Alright, let's get this started. Just follow my lead.” The Princesses nodded as I spun into the start of my dancing. Ponies cheered as my feet skillfully moved across the stage as I danced.

Taking a quick peek at the Princesses, I could see that they were lost and in a trance with my dancing. Before long, I saw Praxis partake in the dancing as well, his movements practically symmetrical with my own.

“INCOMIIING!” A bubbly and familiar voice cried. With a leap and a spectacular landing, Pinkie Pie landed cleaning in between both me and Praxis and matched our dancing movements so perfectly that we can’t help but be a little flabbergasted at her moves.

Then again, it IS Pinkie Pie. What was to be expected?

A few moments slipped by as the dancing went on. Before the lyrics started, I hopped back next to Vinyl Scratch’s side and slipped on my headphones, with the off-white unicorn mare by my side. She winked at me behind her cog-shades as I tossed Pinkie Pie my fedora, which she caught on her head and adjusted. I grabbed the microphone and started to sing as the satyr, pink pony, and two princesses danced.

I used to put my faith in worship,

But then my chance to get to Heaven sli-i-pped

I used to worry about the future

But then I threw my caution to the wind.

I had no reason to be care free

No no no, until I took a trip to the other side of town

Yeah yeah yeah, you know I heard that boogie rhythm

Hey- I had no choice but to get down down down down.

Dance, nothing left for me to do but dance,

All these bad times I'm going through just dance

Got canned heat in my heels tonight, big beth

I feel the thunder see the lightning

I know this anger's heaven sent.

So I've got to hang out all my hang-ups

Because of the boogie I feel so hell bent

It's just an instant gut reaction, that I got

I know I never ever felt like this before,

I don't know what to do

But then thats nothing new,

Stuck between hell and high water

I need a cure to make it through.

All the nasty things that people say,

but I'm gonna make it anyway...

Yeah! Got canned heat in my heels tonight big beth!

You know I've got canned heat in my heels!

The lyrics died out. I looked up to see Praxis and Pinkie still dancing, but with a light sheen of sweat on their faces. Celestia and Luna had long since retired, panting heavily from the energy they had just sacrificed to dance like the satyr and party pony. I smiled at the two, slyly reaching for my iPod to change the song. I slid down the list and smiled when I hit the song I wanted, letting the other song play out before I changed it.

“Oi, Vinyl! Can you dance?” I asked over the roar of cheering and stomping for the dancing of all of us.

“Well, duh!” Vinyl retorted. “Can’t talk the talk if I couldn’t walk the walk, now could I?”

“That’s the spirit,” Praxis hollered as me and him walked up to the stage and reached underneath the turntable for-

“A guitar?” I asked. “What’s that for?”

“You’ll see,” he only answered as he hooked up the guitar and selected one of my songs from the iPod. Damn it, Goat-Boy, stop being vague! And stop touching my stuff!

When the song commenced, I heard a few seconds of ambiance. Ah... Daft Punk.

I cleared my throat and began making the electronic guitar-like noises upon the dashboard of the turntable. A few seconds in, I licked my lips, put the autotuning microphone close to my face, and started to sing.

Last night, I had a dream about you

In this dream, I'm dancing right beside you

And it looked like everyone was having fun

The kind of feeling I've waited so long

Don't stop; come a little closer

As we jam, the rhythm gets stronger

There's nothing wrong with just a little little fun

We were dancing all night long

The time is right to put my arms around you

You're feeling right

You wrap your arms around too

But suddenly I feel the shining sun

Before I knew it this dream was all gone

Oh... I don't know what to do

About this dream and you

I wish this dream comes true

Oh... I don't know what to do

About this dream and you

We'll this dream come true

The notes from my dashboard started up again. A few seconds later, it cut out, and ambiance rained over the crowd again. Another moment later, and Praxis began to strum the guitar in his hands, doing his best to hit the strings and synchronize them with my dashboard-fiddling. For a first timer with the guitar, he wasn’t too bad. As the seconds transgressed and Praxis stopped the guitar to welcome more ambiance, the ponies everywhere started dancing and grooving with one another, be it friend, family, or lover.

However, the only one I saw who wasn’t with anypony... was Trixie.

She was sitting by herself at the punch bowl, a sad look on her face. None of the ponies passed by to talk to her, or anything of the sort. She was just... alone.

“‘Ey! Praxis!” I shouted over the sound. The satyr’s sensitive hearing caught my voice, and he turned to face me. I pointed at Trixie who was all alone and winked at him with a smile. He got the message about a second later. He smiled and handed me the guitar before walking over to Trixie, who smiled and gladly accepted his hand. Vinyl, who was by herself, came up and took control of the dashboard. She fired me a wink, and I resumed my singing.

Why don’t you play the game?

I strummed the guitar to the pitch of the six words.

Why don’t you play the game?

I strummed the guitar again, but at a higher pitch, before I busted out the guitar solo to the song. My fingers practically flew across the strings. I glanced over at Praxis and Trixie and couldn’t help but grin; the former had helped the latter in enjoying herself at the party. I’d actually never seen Trixie so happy before. Pinkie and Braeburn, Applejack’s cousin from Appleoosa, were dancing with each other as well, so was Twilight Sparkle with Big Macintosh, Rarity with Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash with Riku (as a form of a better apology, I think), and Applejack and some other random stallion; maybe Doctor Whooves?

I quit playing the guitar and recommence a few seconds later, working my fingers to the bone to perform the second solo. I saw a figure rise into the air, and descend. When I looked back, I saw Trixie in Praxis’s arms; apparently, he had tossed her into the air and caught her on her fall. He put her back on her hooves and started spinning, the biggest smile plastered onto Trixie’s face as the two whirled across the dance floor.

I set down the guitar, and walked back behind the booth, letting a soft beat play as my fingers lightly slid across the plastic keys of a keyboard that Vinyl used. I changed the tone and started to press the keys down, making a harmony. I put my mouth close to the mic, “This is a slower song for you lovers out there. If you have no lover, dance with a friend... Only time will tell...” I smirked as I started to sing softly.

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord

And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord

Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord

Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand

I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am

Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes

So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been

It's all been a pack of lies

At this point, I looked over at the other mic, and saw Praxis standing by it, smiling at me as he cradled Trixie in his arms as he sang with me. I also saw a group of griffons come up onto the stage and go to their respected instruments on the stage.

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord

Well I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord

Well I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord, oh Lord....

Well I remember, I remember, don't worry, how could I ever forget

It's the first time, the last time we ever met

But I know the reason why you keep your silence UP, oh no you don't fool me

Well the hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows

It's no stranger to you and me.

The drums hit their notes spot on as I continued to play my harmony on the keyboard. It was powerful, it made my body shake with each pound on the drums. I started to sing louder and more powerful with each verse I sang.

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord

Well been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord

I can feel it in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh lord

Well I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord

And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord

I can feel it in the air tonight, oh lord, oh lord, oh lord

Well I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh lord, oh lord

I can feel it in the air tonight, oh lord, oh lord, oh lord, oh lord

Well I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh lord, oh lord, oh lord.

The song slowly faded to a stop and the crowd whistled, stamped, whinnied, cheered, shouted, and all things in between for me. I smiled wide as I made my way to Praxis and hugged him tight. “Missed ‘ya, Fluffs.”

“Missed you, too, Jace.” He patted my back. “I missed ya, too.”

~End of Chapter IX~