• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 2,752 Views, 117 Comments

Dinky and the Blanks - GrassAndClouds2



Lunaverse Story of the Blanks, starring Dinky and the L6

  • ...
7
 117
 2,752

The Everfree forest

Miss Cherilee had instructed them not to leave the clearing; the unexplored areas of the Everfree could be dangerous, and she and Nurse Redheart couldn’t watch all the students if they spread out too much. But the honeysuckle was just on the far side of a few trees, and Dinky knew that her mother loved honeysuckle. Whenever her mother put together flowers or herbs to make their apartment smell nice, she always made sure to include at least a little. She would love it, Dinky thought, if she came home to that smell.

So Dinky shifted from hoof to hoof, wondering whether it would be okay if she just ran over, picked it, and hurried back. She wouldn’t be going that far, she reasoned. But then again, Cherilee was a really nice teacher, and her mother wouldn’t like if it she learned that Dinky had disobeyed her. On the other hoof, it was so close…

“Class!” Dinky jumped a little, but it was just Cherilee reminding them of their assignment. “Remember to look for all five herbs! The first pony to find them all will win a special prize, and – Scootaloo, come back!”

“Aww,” came the distant comment.

“And please stay close, class. All five herbs can be found in this area. You don’t need to leave the clearing.”

Dinky nodded a little as she glanced in her saddlebag. She had four of the herbs that they were supposed to gather as a ‘thank you’ to Redheart for spending the day talking to them about the plants she used to make medicines for Ponyville. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon had said that it was a ‘waste of time’ and that the task was just because ‘that old mare Redheart’s being lazy,’ but Dinky didn’t think so. The more ingredients that Nurse Redheart had, the more likely she’d be able to treat any pony that fell sick, and wasn’t that a good thing?

Although, she thought, she still needed to find a sample of the last herb, the strongweed. She would have to quickly decide whether to go for the honeysuckle or not, then get back to completing the assignment. But she couldn’t make up her mind. Was it worth disobeying Miss Cherilee to make her mother happy?

Then she had an idea, and she smiled. What if she used her telekinesis? She’d been practicing a lot, she could probably extract a little honeysuckle and get it into her saddlebag without having to leave the clearing. Her momma had always said that it was important to be creative and ‘think outside the box,’ and even though Dinky didn’t really understand why one would go into a box to think, she got the basic point of the saying. This was definitely an ‘out of the box’ solution!

So she focused on the honeysuckle. Her horn glowed. The flowers and vines began to shake a little, then float up from the ground, then move…

“Hey, DT, look at this!”

The voice behind Dinky was loud and overpowering. Dinky jumped a little in surprise, and accidentally gripped hard with her telekinesis. The honeysuckle she was holding smashed in upon itself.

“Hey!” said Dinky. She looked sadly at the mass of vines and flowers – now dead, and thus not able to produce any sort of sweet smell – and then looked behind her to see a grinning Silver Spoon.

“Nice magic, blank flank,” drawled Silver Spoon. Behind her, Diamond Tiara trotted over from the river that split the clearing into two halves. Silver pointed a hoof at Dinky. “Guess her telekinesis still isn’t working quite right.”

“Oh, don’t’ worry, Dinky,” said Diamond Tiara. “I’m sure you’ll get it eventually. You know, like you’ll get your cutie mark eventually.”

“When you’re as old as Granny Smith!” laughed Silver Spoon.

Dinky looked away, more upset than she wanted to show. She’d never done anything to either of them; why did they act so mean to her? Her mother said that it didn’t matter, and that if she was just kind to them they’d come around eventually. But eventually usually met a long time, and she didn’t want to wait that long for the two foals to be a little nicer to her.

Diamond Tiara then asked, “So, Silver Spoon, how are you doing with the herbs?”

“I got the first three,” she said. “Enough for two ponies.” And she grinned.

“Ooh, I got the last two. Let’s share. Guess we win the prize. I hear that it’s BonBon’s chocolate.”

“Hey!” said Dinky, still rather annoyed at the two. Her stomach grumbled at the thought of the chocolate. “Miss Cherilee said we’re supposed to find and pick them on our own.”

“Oh, you wouldn’t tattle on us, would you, Dinky-Winky?” asked Silver Spoon. She grinned. “Come on, DT. Let’s go show Miss Cherilee how great we are.” And they walked off.

Dinky sighed, looking at the ruined honeysuckle for a long moment before turning around. She still had to find the strongweed. Nurse Redheart had said that it was usually found on the north side of rocks in shady areas, so the big boulder by the oak trees and the north side of the clearing seemed like a good place to look.



“I’m pleased that all of you were able to find all of the herbs,” said Miss Cherilee. “Now Nurse Redheart can turn them into medicines that will benefit our town of Ponyville!”

Dinky clacked her hooves on the ground a few times, though none of the other foals did. Snips and Snails were noisily whispering about something, and Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were murmuring secretively. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were up front, beaming and munching candy. Dinky, as usual, was left without a partner.

It wasn’t that she had no friends, Dinky thought. She did, and she knew it was wrong to act like she didn’t. She could always find a fellow foal to eat with at lunch, or to go play in the parks or playgrounds of Ponyville. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were even willing to let Dinky tag along with them on their various adventures (although Dinky found Scootaloo’s method of transport to be a bit fast for her tastes). But she didn’t have a best friend, and she felt like she was the only pony in the class without one.

After all, if Dinky had to guess, she would say that the other ponies had probably all helped each other on the assignment. The heartroot pieces that Snips and Snails had turned in were obviously one heartroot that had been cut in half. She'd seen Sunny Days and Peachy Pie whispering too, although they at least seemed to have just given each other advice and not actually broken the rules by sharing their samples. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle had probably helped each other as well; they usually did. Dinky didn’t want to cheat – that was wrong, and her mother would have been very disappointed in her had she done so – but she still found herself wishing that there was another pony who might have offered to help her. That would have been nice.

“Alright, class. Stay close behind me and Nurse Redheart as we return to Ponyville!” said Miss Cherilee. “It’s past our usual dismissal time, so I think that, once we get back into town, I’ll release you for the day.” A few of the foals cheered at that. “Just write a one-page report on what you learned today, due first thing Friday.” Dinky joined the chorus of groans. Cherilee didn’t seem to notice any of this. “Let’s head home!”

Dinky rebuked herself as she fell into the back of the line. She knew, after all, that she had a lot to be grateful about. She had the absolute best mother in the world, a roof over her head, and food on the table at every meal. She was healthy and, according to her mother and Miss Cherilee, smart for her age. She even had a job with Miss Fluttershy, helping take care of her animals for three bits a week (and the occasional piece of candy). It was wrong for her to be upset about not having a best friend when there were so many ponies that had less than she did. She would make more friends soon enough if she just kept trying.

Scootaloo, the pony directly in front of her, laughed at some joke that Sweetie Belle had just made. “Alright!” she said. “Let’s grab the scooter once we get back to town and zip over to the farm. See if Applebloom’s got time to hang out with us today. There’s three harnesses and a whole lot of rope!”

Maybe trying now would help. Whatever those two were doing sure sounded interesting to Dinky. The purple foal smiled and trotted a bit faster. “Hey, Scootaloo? Sweetie Belle?”

“Oh, hey Dinky,” said Scootaloo. “What’s up?”

“What’re you doing later?”

“Going ziplining with Sweetie and Apple Bloom!” Scootaloo grinned. “We’ve got his big rope, and we’re gonna go zooming down it way fast and land in a huge pile of hay! We’ll be as fast as Rainbow Dash!” She paused. “Uh, almost.”

Sweetie giggled.

Dinky smiled, but she wasn’t sure if she really wanted to go ‘ziplining.’ It sounded fun, but also a little scary. “That sounds really cool,” she managed.

“Yeah! It’ll work a lot better than last time!”

Uh oh. “What happened last time?”

Sweetie frowned. “The rope sagged and we got stuck in the middle. Then it broke and we fell down into a big mud puddle.” She looked at her left front leg, which was still a bit bruised.

“Don’t worry,” said Scootaloo, grinning. “This time we’ll tie the rope tighter. 'Sides, Apple Bloom's good with tools; if she's helping us set up this time, it'll work for sure! Wanna come with, Dinky? We can make you another harness.”

Dinky thought of herself crashing into the ground, and winced. “Um, no. That’s okay. I should really get home so that Momma doesn’t wonder where I am.”

Scootaloo shrugged. “Alright. You’re missing out, though. But after we finish ziplining, Sweetie and I'll be making more ice cream. Do you want any?”

Their last attempt at ice cream making had resulted in a vaguely dairy-like substance with the texture and taste of dried glue. “No thank you,” said Dinky.

“Your loss,” chirped Scootaloo.

Dinky walked in silence for the next few minutes as the group continued to make their way out of the Everfree. Maybe she could talk to Snips and Snails. They were hard to talk to sometimes, but most of the things they did were at least kind of fun. They usually ended up digging for weird grubs or bugs in various places around the town, and Dinky, as a normal foal, was amused and intrigued by this. Or she could try Archer, who was usually pretty cool or –

A flash of gray caught her eye.

Frowning, Dinky turned to the right, just in time to see a pony go zipping off into the trees. Dinky didn’t recognize the gray-coated pony. Was she a new student that she’d happened to miss? It was possible, Dinky concluded. But if it were true, then the new student was about to wander off into the Everfree.

“Miss Cherilee!” called Dinky. But Cherilee was at the front of the line, and between Dinky and her were the loudly-chattering Snips and Snails. Cherilee didn’t seem to hear her.

“Miss Cherilee! Miss Cherilee!” But she was too far away, and the gray pony had already run out of sight. Maybe she should just hurry after her and tell her to get back in line or she might get lost. The Everfree could be scary, she knew; her mother had told her about her time there with her friends as she struggled to find the Elements of Harmony. There were all kinds of monsters and even mean plants that could hurt an unwary foal. Finding the new student and helping her would be the right thing to do. The friendly thing to do.

And it was what her mother would do, Dinky thought. Her mother, Ditzy Doo, was the kindest pony ever. She’d always help a foal who was wandering into the Everfree forest.

Dinky nodded to herself, and then hurried after the gray pony.