• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 8,337 Views, 246 Comments

A Twist of Fate - ZachTheBrony



A famed hero who dies with honor, who dies for the human race- what is their reward?

  • ...
37
 246
 8,337

Part 5 - Stop me if you heard this one- So a Conduit walks into a Library...

Much like he expected, Cole received stares. He was more used to the Militia in New Marais attacking him on sight, the ice freaks. Hell, even those monster things. Being titled the ‘Demon of Empire City’, his acts of heroism contrasted it greatly. To be honest, it was kind of boring, being here. Almost like how it was- back before he had his super powers.

But he’d just have to make the best of it, he guessed. While lost in his thoughts, he bumped into somebody. “Oh, sorry.” Cole said dryly.

“Freak...” The stallion he bumped into said. Cole shot him a glance, but rolled his eyes and continued walking. That horse was an asshole.

“As he came through the window, it was the sound of a crescendo. He came to her apartment and left bloodstains on the carpet. She ran under the table...” Cole hummed to himself. He missed music, and all he could manage was the song ‘Smooth Criminal’ that got stuck in his head. Oddly enough, since he was technically a smooth criminal.

Cole never really thought he’d be stuck in a world full of talking horses. But even so, he never expected himself to adapt this quickly. He adapted quickly because he was used to situations like this. ‘Situations like this’, as in being the odd one. ‘I’ve been in weirder situations,’ he told himself. What was even stranger was that he was going to try to get his citizenship.

But then, something came into this mind while he walked. That alicorn- Princess Celestia. As she held him the day before, he remembered her calling him a ‘human’. Could that have meant that humans actually were here before, but only she remembered them? It really made him think.

His thoughts were snapped in two when he heard a high-pitched, tomboyish voice say, “Excuse me? S-... sir?”

Cole looked about for the source of the voice. Then he looked down. There were three little horses. Well, fillies. Was that the right word? Just a few feet away from him. One looked like a banana. The other looked like a chicken. The final one looked like a marshmallow. “What?” He sounded slightly agitated.

“I... We heard some rumors going around town about some alien with electric powers. T-that’s you, right?” The chicken-lookalike asked.

“Well, I... guess you can say alien, but uh, yeah. Yeah, that’s me.” Cole replied, looking a little bit confused.

Before any of them could open their little mouths to speak again, the mare that tied Cole up yesterday approached quickly. “Applebloom! Get away from him.” She ordered.

“But Appleja-”

“No ‘but’s, Applebloom. You too, girls, run along.”

“Aww...” The three of them sulked, before they complied and went along. They seemed like they wanted to ask a few more questions, what was the harm in that? Cole blinked twice, looking as they walked away. It had been his first time dealing with pony children, so he wasn’t sure what to expect from them. The banana looked at the large orange cowpony with sad eyes. The chicken looked a bit peeved, and the s’more had her head down as she shuffled along with her friends. Why was she so quick to judge?

Cole raised his left eyebrow and crossed his arms. “What, did you think I’d hurt them or something?” He asked.

“As far as Ah’m concerned,” Applejack looked both ways before putting a hoof on his midsection. “Yes. Don’t y’all ever go near my sister again, y’hear?” She asked in a quiet but stern tone. In her defense, she didn’t know about the human that deeply yet. Little did the conduit know that Applejack was a bit of a racist (Anyone remember Zecora?).

The conduit didn’t expect to get into this kind of argument, but what he said next needed to be said. “Lighting falls at my damn whim. Ice obeys my will. I can fall from the sky and come out without a scratch. And all living things can feed my power.” Cole narrowed his eyes, lowering his arms to his sides. “And I’m holding back. If I wanted to hurt someone- trust me, I would’ve.”

“Look, Ah didn’t mean ta-” Applejack slowly pulled back, lowering her head slightly.

“Wait... That came out wrong.” Cole said, releasing a sigh. “Let me put it this way...” His left arm raised up. Blue sparks and bolts cracked in the air. “I can do this, and you are giving me a reason to get angry? Let me tell you, you got balls lady. But seriously, don’t piss me off more than I already am. Even I don’t insult people unless they piss me off.”

“Sorry already, alright?! Ah just don’t want-”

Cole drove his head down, lifting his hand between their faces. His voice lost the normal gruff sentiment, and turned clear and in a very deep and low tone. His face contorted from his casual ‘calm’ (and/or annoyed), to one of disgust. “Go ahead. Say it. Say that I would hurt a child. I dare you.”

The mare let out a small sigh, but she was obviously on-edge. His tone clearly stated that he didn’t like what she was implying. “Look, don’t get all angry or nothin’. Ah was jus’ lookin’ out for my sister. Y’know, Ah bet you’d do the same for your own kin.” She reasoned.

Cole picked himself to stand up, narrowing his eyes at her. Wrong move on her part. If only she knew. The conduit shut both eyes and squeezed his hand into a fist, trying to fight back the urge to jump away. “Would you let your love die, to save the life of seven others you didn’t even know?”

“Ah... Uh...”

“I hope you never have to make that choice.” Cole turned his back to her, lowering his arm to dissipate his power. “Don’t you dare talk to me about kin.”

“Ah... Ah’m sorry.” Applejack attempted to apologize, her face now making her look as if she was hurt, or feeling sorry for the conduit.

“Look, I don’t need your pity.” He looked over his shoulder. “Right now, I’m busy. If I ever hear you open your mouth before thinking again, I will personally make you go through that choice.”

He then left her, standing in the street. She was wide-eyed, experiencing mixed emotions.

Cole continued to walk towards the town hall. The argument between the two of them really made his mood bitter. First the asshole, then the mare. What was it with ponies that made them talk without thinking?

Soon, he bumped into another pony. It was another mare, with a pale yellow coat and a light pink mane and tail. She also had huge eyes, with a trio of butterflies on the sides of her haunches. A whimper was heard as she fell down, three grocery bags falling to the ground as well. ‘Ugh, what now...’ Cole also fell down, landing on his rear. He opened his eyes to look at the mare.

“Oh, I-I-I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to-... oh... my...”

She trailed off as Cole got to his feet. “No no, it’s alright...” He picked up the vegetables that fell out of the bags, and put them back in.

What he didn’t notice was that the mare was staring at him, paralyzed in what looked to be either nervousness or fear. Once he was finished, he patted her softly and quickly on the head, and continued on. Her hair was really smooth and silky from what he felt. “Th-thank you...” He barely heard the quiet voice, but he picked up on it.

“ ‘Welcome.” Cole said simply as he continued to walk, putting his hands in his pockets.

Was he just going to keep bumping into everypony today? Like, seriously. That’s three pins knocked down, only seven more to go until Cole gets a spare!

With his mind clear, the conduit took in his surroundings. The entire town seemed a little bit medieval in its overall appearance, from what Cole could draw from his memories. It was almost rustic. Even the street lamps blended in with the overall style of the architecture. Cole didn’t think much of it, but he was impressed that beings without hands could produce things like houses. Eh, it was probably the unicorns who did the building, because they can float stuff and all. Soon, he reached the Town Hall without even realizing it. Also without bumping into any more ponies along the way, thank heavens.

Confidently, he walked in through the front doors. It was peculiar that there weren’t any guards near the doors, as it was the building which housed the Mayor. “I’m here to see the Mayor.” Cole approached the front desk with his rather blatant request, behind which the receptionist mare sat.

All the receptionist did for a few moments was stare at Cole.

“... Hello?” The conduit leaned on the desk as he tried to get the attention of the receptionist. He looked a bit dull, as if he just wanted to get through with the day.

“O-oh, a thousand p-pardons. You just... startled me, is all.” She smiled innocently. “But, the mayor prefers it if you schedule an appoi-”

Cole interrupted her. “I don’t have the time to schedule an appointment.” In all honesty, he did, but he just didn’t have the patience.

The receptionist sighed. “Well then, you can go see her. Just be... be sure to knock, please. Just through the door to the right.” She said. “But before you go, what is your name?”

“Cole. Cole Macgrath.” He spoke his name.

“How would one spell that?” The receptionist asked.

The conduit let out a tiny sigh, and spelled it out for her. His face showed his impatience, as he had to repeat it three times, and some letters four times. She went on to ask him some more questions. After they were finished, she had filled out an entire form. “You can see the mayor now.” But shouldn’t the mayor at least know that he was coming in?

Finally,’ Cole thought to himself as he walked through the door to the right, as the mare directed. Before so, however, he knocked.

Mayor Mare opened the door. Her coat was of a light cream, eyes of a gradient between a pale blue and a dim purple. Both her tail and mane were a pure white, along with the formal collar she had around her neck. Where a tie would be, was a fluffy, teal necktie. “Ah, Mr. Macgrath, come in.” She smiled.

“What the... but how...” Cole didn’t notice it before, but there was a tiny flash of light after the form ‘he’ had to fill out was filled.

“The receptionist sent me the form with all your information. Please, you need not stand around any longer, come, sit.” She welcomed him into her office. The mare studied him for a moment, trying to get a better understanding of the newest resident of her town. So far, he took a moment to look around the room.

There was a chair set across from the desk, in which the conduit sat in. The mayor sat in her desk’s chair, and asked, “So, what brings you here today?”

“I...”

Before Cole could continue, he was cut off. “I beg your pardon, but would you care for a cup of tea? I am having some.” Mayor Mare asked politely. At least she had her manners.

“Sure, sure I’ll have some.” He nodded, before she walked over to a small table where a small teapot that doubled as an electric kettle sat. From a small cupboard underneath the table, she retrieved two teacups (seriously, how could they grab stuff with hooves?!). Afterwards, she filled them with the tea. She offered it to Cole, and he took it.

Taking hers back to her seat, she said, “As you were saying?”

“I’m here to see if I can get my...” He took a sip of the beverage. “... Equestrian citizenship.” Just what Cole needed, caffeine. Thank God it wasn’t decaf. Hell, for straight tea, it didn’t taste too bad either.

“Ah. That can be arranged, although you’ll have to take the citizenship test.” She said solemnly, setting her tea down on the desk. “Would you rather take the test orally or on quill and paper?” She asked.

Quill? Damn. Ah well, it’s the closest I’ll get.’ Cole quickly decided. “Quill and paper.”

As requested, Mayor Mare got him a quill, and the citizenship test.

Ho. Ly. Shit. It’s my pre-dropout test all over again...’ She presented him a thick book. Which was covered in dust. He quickly took the book, and blew off the dust.

“I actually haven’t handled citizenship in a while, as the test likely... says, due to the dust.” Mayor Mare said.

“No kidding,” Cole snickered, and got down to work.


- - - - One and a Half Hours Later...


“Finished.” The conduit announced. ‘Man my hand could go for a nice massage... I think I saw a spa earlier.’ He thought to himself, cracking his knuckles, hearing a few consecutive ‘pop’s.

“And not a moment too soon,” Mayor Mare jokingly said, taking the test into her hooves. She read it over at a remarkable speed- faster than anything which Cole had seen in his entire life. “You have... quite a few things incorrect,” She almost winced as she said this. “Applicants need at least a fifty percent score out of one hundred to pass.”

“What did I get?”

“Twenty two percent.”

“Goddammit...” Cole stood up, one hand on his hip and the other rubbing his face, which expressed both his annoyance and disappointment. He was standing next to a window, looking out into the distance.

“Incidentally, you only get one more retry...”

“Retry?”

“You fail again, and you are escorted out of the kingdom.”

Fuck, fuck FUCK! This is bad.’ “Can I at least go and find someplace to study? I mean, I’m not even from this damn world.” This was so unfair to Cole.

“May I ask, did you even bother to study anything before taking this test? Most applicants wait at least a few months on a residential visa to study.”

“...” Cole just didn’t say anything, for a few seconds at least. “No, no I didn’t.” He shook his head, still looking out the window. He was paying attention, but he just wasn’t interested in the conversation, although he was worried.

“Normally, I would say no to this. But seeing as how you came ill-prepared, and how you are not from this world, I will give you a month to study as much as you can.” Now that sounded like a bargain. “Of course, if you feel ready, you can obviously come back in at any time. But the deadline is the end of the month, as this month just began. Whether you are ready or not by then is entirely your fault, so keep that in mind, Macgrath.”

“Yeah. Thanks, Mayor. I... need to go for a walk.” Cole said, walking to the door.

Just as he turned the handle, the Mayor said, “Remember to study before you come back, Macgrath.”

“Can I ask something though?” Cole asked, lifting his head up.

“Yes?”

“Why only one chance?” He kept his face looking ahead of himself, not sure if he really wanted to hear the answer.

“Mr. Macgrath- You are requesting citizenship. Do you know what that entails? It’s an oath, a promise, that you will abide by our laws and pledge yourself to our ruler. This is a kingdom, we serve royalty. Most beings can come and go as they please- but citizens are willing to bend on one knee and become more than just citizens.” Mayor Mare turned her head to look at the citizen’s test. “Do you realize how heavy a decision that is? I do not know how politics work in your old home, but I think you have taken things for granted- no offense. You did come in here to take a test without studying. Does that sound like the committed someone that wanted to become a citizen?

Without another word, the conduit left. To go for a walk as he said? No. He had choices to make.


- - - - Twelve Minutes Later, Lyra’s Home...


Lyra was merely sitting on the couch, reading the newspaper and drinking some tea when Cole came back in. “Lyra!” He called out. The whole thing being sudden made Lyra almost drop her tea.

She yelped. “C-Cole! Don’t do that! You could’ve given me a heart attack!” Lyra scolded.

“Look, I’m sorry about that, but I have other things on my mind.” Cole stood in the doorway. “Is there a library anywhere close?” He asked hopefully.

“... Yes, Twilight Sparkle is the librarian there. Why?” The unicorn asked him.

“If I don’t sharpen-up on Equestria, I can kiss my sorry ass goodbye by the end of the month.” Cole replied, already feeling Lyra’s tension adding to his own.

“What?! Why?” Lyra exclaimed, her eyes widening.

“Because I took the citizenship test and failed. Now I only have one more chance. Where’s the damn library?” Cole asked with an impatient edge to his tone.

Lyra didn’t know what to think of his attitude, but she tolerated it with a sigh. Her one chance with a human was going to get taken away by some stupid test. “The library is called ‘Golden Oaks.’ It’s a huge tree, you can’t miss it.”

“Alright, thanks. I gotta get going.” Cole charged out of the door.

To get a better look of the town, he continued running, and propelled himself off of a pillar of ice, quickly using his ‘static thrusters’ as he called them, to glide down to a roof. Only to propel himself by an ice pillar again, this time going very high. Soon, he spotted the Golden Oaks library, and landed on a roof, to propel himself off again and close the distance in just a few seconds. He landed in the streets, and ran the rest of the way.

An odd thought did occur to him though. Why was it so important to be a citizen? Maybe it was because he thought ahead, to have a ‘backup plan’ if he couldn’t get back to Earth. Maybe he was tired of being a “negative” spot in society’s eyes. Could it be that he hated the idea to travel? Was his own conduit power telling him to stay here?

He didn’t care what it was, not at the moment. He was focused on getting some books. Assuming that it was a public library, Cole simply walked into the building.


- - - - Meanwhile...


“Wait... Does he know he has to be a citizen to check out books?” Lyra asked out loud.


- - - - Back at the Golden Oaks...


“I’ll be up in a minute!” Called a female voice from down below.

Shit,’ Cole thought. He thought he could slip in undetected and get the books. Damn that mare must have had some good hearing. He looked around, specifically under the ‘e’ section. Luckily for him, this place was a jackpot of information. Hence the fact that it was a library.

Soon walked up this ‘Twilight Sparkle’. She didn’t do her name justice (thankfully), but she was an easy-on-the eye mare. Her dim color scheme and all. The thing that caught Cole’s attention was her gasp. Then, it was the, “Ohmygosh! It’s you!”

“Yeah, it’s me, the alien with powers. Whoopdy-doo, get over it.” Cole sighed in annoyance. Thinking quickly, his hand moved out to run over the spine of books and start reading. Please let him find the books he wants right away...

The reply that the conduit gave Twilight threw her off. “Uh... So! What uh, what brings you here?” She asked politely.

“Getting books to study.” Cole replied.

“Ooh. What are you studying for?”

“The citizenship test.”

“... You... you do know that you need to be a citizen to rent books, right?” Twilight asked.

“Look, I don’t care. I don’t want my ass booted out of the country because of a piece of paper, alright?” The conduit snapped angrily, continuing to look for the books.

“I’m sorry, I truly am, but I can’t let you take them.” She said, putting back a book that Cole was just about to take out.

The demon of Empire City closed his eyes, and looked down, letting out a sigh. “Look, I’m going to take these books whether you like it or not, and whether your laws say I can or can’t.”

“Are you threatening to steal them from me?” Twilight looked at him, watching his every move as her face expressed either disappointment or slight irritation.

“Yep.”

Now that wasn’t an answer she was expecting. “Y-... you can’t just come in here and expect me to let you steal books!”

“How about we trade, then?”

“Huh?” Twilight was just getting confused, now.

“I bet that you’re wondering about me.” He turned his head to her, opening his eyes. “So how about we make a deal. You get to ask me all the questions you want, with every single one of them answered,” Oh Cole almost pissed himself laughing when he saw the sheer look of ‘I’m going to die from hysteria’ excitement on Twilight’s face, but he held back easily. “-in exchange for the books I need.”

Twilight’s facial features contorted. She was obviously arguing with herself, whether to fulfill her own desires, or stay loyal to the Princess’s words and laws.

She so wished she was Rainbow Dash right now. At least, the part of her mind that wasn’t having a nerdgasm did. “Deal.” She held out a hoof for a shake, grinning widely.

Cole took it, and shook it firmly. “Good choice, I didn’t want to have to hurt you to get these things.” And so, the both of them sat down on the couch. Twilight got out her notepad and quill.

And Cole would soon regret his decision.


- - - - Seven. Frigging. Hours. Later.


Soon, Cole’s ears were on the brink of hemorrhaging. But he tolerated every last question the unicorn threw at him. He swore, if what Twilight was doing (getting information) wasn’t the closest thing (or next best thing) to masturbation as she could get, he didn’t know what the hell was.

“Thank you so much, Cole. You have no idea how much this information means to me!” She giggled.

Oh I can get an idea...’ Cole sighed. “Alright, can I get my books now?” He asked.

Twilight merely nodded. “I’m looking forward to the power demonstration tomorrow, by the way.”

Can’t believe I agreed to that.’ The conduit thought to himself, before he said, “Yeah.” He got up and began picking out the books he needed.

“So... you never did tell me how you got your powers, Cole.” Twilight smirked.

Almost letting out a groan, Cole instead sighed. “No. That was not part of the deal. You asked about me, not my powers.”

“Actually, it is! You said any questions you have, not just about you.” She reasoned.

Dammit all,’ Cole groaned. “Fine. I gained them in an explosion back in Empire City on Earth. I was somebody you’d never notice back then, delivering packages to people you’d likely never even know. One day I was sent to deliver a package to somebody in the Historic District, and apparently the package was for me. It was a Ray Sphere- a device capable of awakening powers in people with the dormant conduit gene. Conduits are pretty much... humans who were born with superhuman abilities, but didn’t know it. A lot of the city was destroyed, but there I was, at the center of it all. In a coma.” He explained. “Is that good enough for you?”

Twilight nodded in approval of the information. “Mhm!”

“Anyway. I got the books that I need, thanks for this... it means a lot to me, ‘Twi.” He held the books in both hands. But before he walked to the door, he took off his backpack and stuffed the books into them. Next, he walked to the door.

“You’re welcome. Thank you for the answers to the questions, by the way.” She walked to the door also, as the conduit walked outside, into the night.

The moon hung with grace in the night sky, stars decorating the beauty which was Luna’s domain. Cole propelled himself off of an ice pillar, and used his static thrusters to land on a roof. He waved at Twilight, who waved back.

Twilight was in awe at this, but she had more to expect for tomorrow. Much more.

“Twilight!”

“Lyra?” Twilight asked, lifting her eyebrows.

“I got the bits to clear my late fees! Now I can use my record to check out books for Mr. Cole!” Lyra said with a smile.

Cole stopped, his entire body tensing up angrily as he managed to hear this.

Fff... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Author's Note:

From little chapters, to- HOLY SHIT SUDDENLY 4,000 WORDS?!!?!?!!?!!?!!

... dat bonus doe.