• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,257 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,257

PreviousChapters Next
The Embarassing Story of Train Wreck Pastel (Train Wreck): The Cleansing Flame

Train Wreck raced up the stairs, only to find himself trapped by walls of searing flames. Outside a crowd gathered as the fire spread to the neighboring building, forcing the ponies within to flee for their lives. Inside the massive beast that was Train Wreck Pastel charged for the front window, his draconic wings instinctively closing in front of him as he hurled himself through the wall of fire and the bakery’s display window.

As the giant pony rolled haphazardly to his feet he noted the general panic around him. He quickly found one of his neighbors, an orange earth pony stallion who owned the hat shop across the street, and like many of the vendors in this district lived inside his shop.

“Fancy Cap,” Train Wreck flagged down his neighbor frantically, “What the hell is going on? I was just about to go to bed when… hell…”

“It was the Night Guard,” the pony said gravely, “I saw it all from my shop, some big brown bat-pony just walked up and threw a bottle of flaming oil or something right through your shop window! He even screamed something about herds of freaks weren’t welcome in Canterlot. He didn’t act like he was even worried about getting caught.”

“So this was an attack on my family then,” the monster worked his mandibles angrily, causing his neighbor to back away nervously, “Thanks, Cap, you’re good ponies.”

It was then that he noticed a group of ponies holding back a yellow earth pony from the also-burning tenement next door to the bakery, “You don’t understand! My daughter’s still inside there! She’s trapped!”

“There’s nothing anypony can do ma’am!” a stallion tried to reason with her.

“Where’s your daughter?” Train Wreck trotted up to the group.

“Second floor,” the mare cried, “third door on the left.”

“You’ll never make it through! The fires on the first floor are too intense!” one the stallions shouted as the behemoth charged head first into the inferno.

The ponies outside had not been mistaken the flames inside were blistering. Train Wreck pulled his wings into tight shield began to make his way up the burning stairwell. On the second floor hallway the situation was nowhere near as grim, though he had to stay low to the ground to find breathable air. The door was jammed but was easily swept aside after a warning shout and a sweep of his massive head.

He found the green unicorn filly huddled in a corner in her room and instantly recognized her as one of his regular customers. “Wintergreen?” He asked gently, and at her answering nod continued, “It’s me, Train Wreck from next door. You mommy sent me to get you out of here.”

“But what about the fire?” the frightened filly asked in a tiny, terrified voice.

“It’s okay, just get on my back and stay under my wings,” he kneeled to allow the filly to climb onto his shoulders and crossed his wings, insulated the filly but leaving himself exposed, “It’s going to be alright. We’re going to get out of this just fine, I promise.”

If the trip up the stairs had been difficult, the trip back down was pure agony. The flames scorched the fur and seared the flesh of Train Wrecks unprotected face and chest. He hoped his precious passenger was faring far better, and was relieved to feel her tiny hooves clinging tightly to her perch. As he cleared the flames and approached the front door he was staggering.

Unsure if he could even make the last few yards, he opened his wings and turned to his tiny passenger, “Run straight through that door, your mother is waiting outside.”

-=-=-=-=-

Stormy Night surveyed the destruction below him with a grim sense of satisfaction. He kept telling everypony that sooner or later that damned monstrosity was going to rampage, and then they’d be screaming for the Night Guard to come and save their sunny little flanks. It looked like he hadn’t had to wait long.

He could see that damned turncoat, Dream Catcher playing crowd control. That was about the only thing the Day Guard was good for. The lunar pegasus landed just in time to see a green unicorn filly flee in terror from the flaming building. He saw the massive shambling horror of scorched flesh begin to emerge from the inferno and leapt into action, charging the beast and bucking him square in the center of its monstrous head.

Already weakened, the monster staggered back into the inferno, and the burning floor supports gave way, no longer able to support the creatures incredible body mass. Train Wreck Pastel plummeted into the dark and smoky abyss and Stormy Night turned to what he expected to be cheers of appreciation.

Every face before him was a mask of horror and outrage. He began to hear angry mutterings. The mother of the filly he had just saved from that monster glared at him with hatred in her eyes. The lunar pony looked around in confusion. What was wrong with these ponies? It was at that moment that the ground beneath them shook violently, and the burning tenement collapsed into a smoldering wreckage.

Dream Catcher approached with a bright yellow unicorn mare he recognized from the warlocks. The Lunar Day Guard had neither humor nor mercy in his eyes, “Stormy Night, You are under arrest for the murder of Train Wreck Pastel.”

The warlock’s gaze was equally grim, “Please resist arrest, I really want you to give me an excuse to hurt you right now.”

Aftershocks traveled along through Canterlot towards the mountain, and Just Deserts burned long into the night.

Author's Note:

Well, that escalated quickly… :twilightoops:

What hath been wrought by the manipulations of the mysterious Madame Alias? :trixieshiftleft: Was her end objective to end Train Wreck, or was this just the opening move in a far more sinister endgame? :trixieshiftright: Somewhere in Equestria, Surprise, Z-978, and Diane travel by train over darkened tracks unaware of the tragic news that awaits them. :applecry:

PreviousChapters Next