• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,263 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,263

PreviousChapters Next
The Embarassing Story of Train Wreck Pastel (Train Wreck): Educational Conciderations

“Hello, my name is Miss Shade Fire.” the tiny umbrum hovered in front of Diane, “I’ve heard that you’re going to be our school’s first changeling student.”

“I… uh...guess so,”the changeling filly stammered with clear embarrassment, “I’m… uh… Diane. Hi? You’re a lot smaller than I expected my teacher to be.”

“Diane,” Train Wreck admonished his ward, “That’s not polite.”

“It’s quite alright,” the umbrum mare smiled, addressing Train Wreck directly, “I can appear larger if there’s a need, but I prefer to interact with the foals in my natural form. So I understand your daughter will be starting classes in two weeks?”

“Yeah,” the tazzle pony nodded, offering a close-mouthed smile, “We taking a little family outing to celebrate. I saw an article in the paper about the upcoming Crystalling, and when I looked into it, it seemed like just the thing. All that magic love flying around and all.”

“Yes,” the teacher smiled back, “I never thought of it that way but it does seem like a perfect event for family with changelings.”

“Thanks for taking Diane,” Train Wreck continued awkwardly, “We’d been having a bit of trouble finding a school that would, and it was one of Princess Fast Change’s condition on the adoption.”

“Well, attitudes in Canterlot can be… trying at times,” Miss Shade Fire admitted, “But we here at Decanter Elementary pride ourselves on teaching the youth of numerous species in an inclusive environment. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you exactly? The wings are off for a lunar pegasus, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a pony as large as you who wasn’t raising the sun.”

“I used to be a human,” Train Wreck rubbed the back of his head with one hoof, “Then Discord decided it would be fun to turn me into… this.”

“Oh, my! I’m so very sorry,” the umbrum expressed her honest sympathy.

“I don’t mind, I was probably going to get turned into a pony sooner or later,” the massive creature shrugged, “Seems to be the pattern with humans. And at the end of the day I was always an alien in Equestria…”

“Oh, wow, it’s that monster from the bakery!” a blue colt with a blonde mane who Train Wreck recognized as one of their regular customers.

“Don’t call Train Wreck a monster!” Diane flew over and stomped a hoof at the colt flashy her shark-like teeth menacingly.

“Woah, sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it,” the colt backed up quickly, “Is he your dad?”

“Changeling’s don’t have dads, everypony knows that,” the filly held her head up high, “Uncle Train Wreck and Surprise adopted me.”

“That is SO cool!” the colt pranced around giggling, “You get to live at Just Deserts? Wow, I’m Indigo Zap, I’m learning lightning magic. Check it out!”

The colt scrunched up has face with effort and sent a small bolt flying into a nearby wall where it promptly bounced back and hit him square in the face, causing his now singed mane to stand straight up on end.”

“Smooth move, Zap,” a gryphon cub laughed as she approached, “Don’t mind him, he’s just trying to impress the new filly before she figures out what a doofus he is.”

“Don’t call me doofus, feather-brain!” Zap huffed in indignation.

Shade Fire fluttered in immediately, “Okay you two, no name calling, “We want to set a good example for our newest student.”

“So,” the griffon grinned, “You’re gonna be going to school here, too huh? I’m Glenda. Come on, we’ve got a little while before class starts, I’ll show you around.”

“Hey, I saw her first!” Zap protested, “I should be the one to show her around!”

“Why don’t you both escort her. Just be back here before class begins. Miss Diane won’t actually be joining us till her family returns from their vacation.”

“Yes Miss Shade Fire,” two nodded and headed off with Diane in tow.

“That went well,” Train Wreck smiled, “I’ve seen the colt before, he’s a regular at the bakery.”

“I’m not surprised, I’ve heard stories about the infamous Cupcake Monster of Just desserts,” the umbrum couldn’t completely suppress a laugh, “I had to apologize to quite a few of my students when I thought they were making up stories at first.”

“Yeah,” Train Wreck chuckled a little himself, “It was pretty hard for us at first, we lost a lot of business because… well because of how I look. There was a lot of ponies yelling ‘monster!’ and running around in panic. It was little fillies and colts that turned it all around. They started daring each other to go in and buy sweets from the ‘scary monster’, and then pretty soon the other ponies started feeling silly, and now it’s something of a draw. We actually get more business from the novelty of it.”

“If it’s not too personal, how did you end up adopting a juvenile changeling,” Shade Fire asked, “As I understand it, changelings don’t generally have the kind of family units associated with ponies.”

“Diane got separated from her hive and had to live on her own in Canterlot since the invasion,” Train Wreck explained, “Princess Fast found her and took her into the hive, but for reasons I’ve never been entirely clear on, Diane kinda imprinted on me and kept breaking out of the hive to follow me around. Eventually everyone involved just decided this would be easier than me taking her back to the hive constantly. That’s the short version.”

Train Wreck noted that as they had been talking a steady stream of fillies, colts, and one young minotaur had been steadily entering the school house.

Finally an energetic tangle of technicolored youth of varying tribes and species emerged surrounding an excited Changeling filly who promptly flew up and landed between Train Wreck’s massive wings.

“This is gonna be great!” the filly proclaimed, “I’ve already made two friends, and everypony was really excited to meet me. I almost wish I didn’t have to wait till we get back from the Crystal Empire to start. One of the ponies in my class is a crystal pony, and she was super jealous when she heard we were going to the chrystalling!”

“I’m glad you liked it dear,” Shade Fire smiled, “We’ll all be looking forward to seeing you in class when you return. Alright now everypony, it’s time to begin today’s lesson. You’ll have plenty of time to get to know Diane once she returns from her family trip.”

The umbrum led away the slightly dissapointed students as Train Wreck and Diane made their way back to the bakery. Train Wreck couldn’t help smiling. It had been a pleasant morning, and tomorrow they would begin their first outing as a real family.

PreviousChapters Next