• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,263 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,263

PreviousChapters Next
The Cutie Market (TheEnd): The Price of Fate

The train lurched and twisted, jumping it’s rails and sliding along the soft ground on it’s side. Along the length ponies moaned in pain and confusion. At least in the main passenger cars it seemed that injuries were minor. Only one car lay aside from the others a private sleeper car.

“Come on, I can get you out!” Starlight rushed to clear the debris from the partially crushed tazzlpony, who lay quietly, holding a limp changeling drone in its one remaining tongue, the other two crushed and mangled within a pile of twisted metal.

“No,” Dayglow coughed a little blood, “We defied fate one too many times. It- it’s like I was telling you, there’s always a price to defy fate. In the end I made a foolish wish. I lied, I cheated, I did everything I could to sneak off that path, but the train was always coming.”

“You’re fiance,” the unicorn looked to the unmoving changeling, already knowing the answer.

“She’s at peace,” the stallion wheezed, “It’s okay. I asked for this. I had tried to throw myself in front of a train when the text found me. It’s why I was in the hospital. I bought some time. I fought my fate, I loved the unspeakable Pinkie Pie. She loved me. It was a good run.”

“Help is coming! I can hear them,” the unicorn sounded desperate.

“I’m out of time,” he laughed bitterly, “just remember, when you see the world dead at your hooves, remember us. Remember that it’s better to move on than to keep pushing fate until everything gets broken… if you can do that, then maybe I’m not the most useless human to ever fall into Equest…”

-=-=-=-=-

“So far there are only a few injuries, sir,” a unicorn guard reported to his superior, “Apparently the bugbear that attacked Ponyville took out a section of track, the conductor didn't have time to stop the train before it left the rails.”

“At least nopony was killed,” the commander shook his head, before being approached by a bloodied unicorn mare.

“My friends,” Starlight stammered, “They were in the sleeper car with me… they…”

The commander gave a sad sigh, “I spoke too soon.”

“I tried to help,” Starlight’s eyes glazed as she walked away.

“I’m sure you did everything you could ma’am,” the first guard tried to comfort the mare but she was lost in her own monologue.

“All I ever wanted to do was help ponies,” Starlight walked off with a slight limp, “But all the so called ‘Princess of Friendship’ wanted to see was a monster to be stopped. I was just like them. All I wanted was friendship. All I wanted was to help ponies. And all she saw was a monster. Just like those ugly spiteful ponies on that train, she gets to walk away. It’s not fair… it wasn’t fair to me, and it wasn’t fair to them. But I’ll fix it, I’ll make fate play fair…”

The End?

Author's Note:

Yes, yes in fact it is the end. Why did I end it like this? Because I always intended to. The story still has a funeral and a timeline before I close it out. But unless they can somehow escape some kind of massive future time loops that haven't happened yet in the Silververse, Charlie and Diane are dead. There is a sequel in the works for Nopony and #13. Probably much more linear, and involving only one potential universe. :pinkiecrazy:

PreviousChapters Next