• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,260 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,260

PreviousChapters Next
Story Time (Dayglow/Diane): Back Where You Began

“Come on, Diane,” Dayglow complained, “Quit squirming, we got a train to catch in the morning and I needs me my eight hours.”

“I can’t help it,” the changeling groaned in protest as she carefully chewed on her mate’s mohawked mane, “I’m too excited to sleep! Tell me the story about that time you saved me from that evil dragon who wanted to make me stop being Pinkie Pie.”

“That was yesterday Diane,” the tazzlpony rolled his eyes.

“So… too soon?” Pinkie Pie #7 couldn’t keep the disappointment.

“Yeah,” Dayglow laughed, “also, Dr. Gem Fire wasn’t evil. She was just misinformed.”

“I don’t care,” the changeling snaked around the pile of pillows and blankets to position herself to chew on Dayglow’s rear hoof, “She tried to make me stop being Pinkie Pie and said we couldn’t get married. I’m still mad at you for not letting me finish playing with her.”

“Is that why you keep kicking me in the face?”

“Oh, sorry,” the pink horror readjusted, “Is that better?”

“Yeah,” the stallions tazzle snakes emerge and coiled around the mare’s barrel, “How about I tell you the story of the dream I came in from?”

“The dream-that-wasn’t-your-dream?” Pinkie paused her chewing and perked up with interest.

“That’s the one.”

-=-=-=-=-

I think it was more of a dream within a dream. I’m finding it easier to understand the mechanics of it since we escaped from Nopony’s nightmare. Either way, from my end it was as real as anything since the Text snatched me up from the hospital. Most of the time, when I think about it at all, I think about how it ended. But how it started was just as important. It started with the first time I met Pinkie Pie.

I landed in a alley in Ponyville, just like I always did. I was nearly naked, wearing nothing but a dirty hospital gown with nothing but my belongings from the hospital in the human world. I was tired, and I was frightened, and I was alone, but I wasn't completely broken yet, that would come later. I knew I had to hide. Every nightmare worked that way. I had to hide. Celestia loved everypony under the sun. She would do anything to protect her little ponies. I wasn’t one of her little ponies. I was a dangerous, crazy human who had to be stopped because he might hurt Celestia's little ponies. I was eating out of a dumpster behind a bakery. I had already learned from the previous nightmares that if I tried to scavenge out of the dumpster behind the candy shop Bon Bon would call the guards. If I tried to sneak apples from the orchard then either Applejack would beat the hell out of me, and then call the guards, or I might run into the Cutie Mark Crusaders. If I ever ran into the Cutie Mark Crusaders I was better off dead. So I tried scavenging behind the bakery that time.

And that’s where I was when Pinkie Pie found me. I stayed with her for a while after that, hiding out in the Pinkie Cave, which was sort of like a closet in the basement of the bakery, but bigger on the inside. She helped me to hide from the Solar Inquisition. In fact, she’s probably the only reason I made it out of Ponyville.

There was a close call when the cakes caught us sneaking out one night. Pinkie talked them out of calling the guards, but I had to go. Luckily Pinkie knew a friend of the Alicorn Prince (because there was one of those there, I’m pretty sure it was his dream) who owned a shipping company and was human-friendly and owned a warehouse far enough outside Ponyville to escape the notice of the Inquisition.

If there was any pattern to the Inquisition I’d noticed it was that the quickest way to get their attention was to interfere with the elements of harmony. And by interfere, I mean interact with. Celestia seemed to loathe the idea of humans having any interaction with those specific ponies. Especially Twilight Sparkle. Humans who were deemed a risk to harmony were, at best, turned into ponies and usually gender swapped. It wasn’t pleasant.

-=-=-=-=-

Dayglow was interrupted by a loud snore and looked down to see a happily sleeping pink changeling with his left hind leg in her mouth up to the flank, “Goodnight Diane.”

Author's Note:

And the winner is Daremo, who's actually the only one who voted. :pinkiecrazy:

And when they got on the train they met...

1 - Family Friendly: Turn to page107

A certain couple is coming home from vacation with their youngest daughter. Diane is just GREAT at first impressions. :pinkiecrazy:

2 - The Cutie Market: Turn to page 12

A certain somepony knows the cause of Diane's "condition", and offers a cure... but at what cost? :trixieshiftright:

PreviousChapters Next