• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,260 Views, 599 Comments

Awkward Conversations And Other Stories - No one is home



A series of disjointed, interconnected stories about people and ponies. There are many conversations. All are awkward.

  • ...
5
 599
 1,260

PreviousChapters Next
Awkward Conversations: I Know What You Did Next Summer

This references the arrival of the Pinkie Pie from the One Step, Pink Step story by David Silver. If you haven't read it, just keep in mind the Pinkie Pie in this chapter is from an alternate universe. Then go read it. It's a good story.

It had taken time, and far more effort than navigating the void between worlds, but Pinkie had finally managed to convince her mane that it wanted to be straight when she was happy. She had managed to make enough bits working as a street performer in Canterlot to rent a modest hotel and buy an assortment of mane and coat dyes. By the end of the day she would be completely unique from this world’s Pinkie Pie.

“The only problem now, is if I run into Rarity, or maybe Twilight, or possibly,” she thought silently until she was suddenly surprised into blurting out, “Rainbow and Jake! Wow… totally unexpected and not really inconvenient to see you here!”

“Dashie?” Jake whispered, “I thought you said she wasn’t that depressed anymore?”

“I didn’t think she was,” Rainbow whispered back.

“Look at her mane!” Jake hissed.

“Right here, guys! I can totally hear you. But it’s okay,” Pinkie beamed a big smile, “Just a little ol’ restyling of the old mane. I CAN do that without an existential crisis, ya know.”

“Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash gave her a sad smile, “It’s okay to be sad. You don’t have to cover it up for us, we were there.”

Pinkie fought a panic, why would she be sad? What were they there for? Why was Rainbow Dash talking about feelings? Was it an alternate events thing, or an alternate Dashie thing?

“So have you heard from Gilda lately,” Pinkie changed the subject with practiced ease and totally didn’t just blurt it out.

“Why would I talk to that jerk?” Rainbow’s look of concern became a momentary glare, sending Pinkie into another round of panic and damage control.

Had that not happened yet in this universe? Was that going to happen in the future? Did that happen altogether differently in this world? Was she dropping spoilers?

“Oh… uh…” the Pink mare continued smoothly like the smooth operator she was, “I was… uh… just thinking… is she really that bad? I mean, sure, she took her pranks too far, but so did I…”

“No Pinkie,” Dash put her hoof down, “Pranks are one thing, but when you push it to the point that somepony could get hurt it’s… oh.... yeah...”

Everything got awkward and quiet. Something had clearly happened in this universe VERY different than Pinkie remembered. Luckily Pinkie Pie saw a quick out, if a little spoilery, “Tell ya what, Dashie, as soon as we get a chance, we’ll take a trip out to Griffin Stone and see if we can’t make things up with Gilda, just me and you! And there’ll be a long train ride, so there’ll be plenty of time to talk about that thing that obviously happened, and that I’m just not ready to talk about, but that I really do remember because I’m totally not from an alternate universe.”

“Okay,” Dash gave Pinkie the eyeball, but then just wrote it off as Pinkie Pie randomness, “But we’re gonna talk about it. We know Ki was special to you, and it’s not healthy to pretend he never existed, just because he’s gone…” at a gentle kick to the fore leg from Jake Dash amended, “Not ‘gone-gone’ of course. I’m sure he’s still alive out there… somewhere?”

“Maybe the Text finally let him go home to find his friend,” Jake supplied helpfully, then at a less-gentle Kick from Dash went on, “Not that he wasn’t happy in Ponyville with you! He barely ever even complained about you watching him while he slept anymore!”

“Real smooth, Jake,” Dash rolled her eye’s.

“What the Hay was going on in this universe? And who the buck is Ki?” Pinkie thought to herself then added out-loud, to definitively change the subject, “So, I didn’t expect to run into you two in Canterlot. Funny co-inky-dink, huh?”

“Jake was just showing me a night out on the town,” Dash grinned at her human, “You, know, get out and have some fun. Winter’s just around the corner, and I’ll be too busy with over-time.”

“Yeah, gonna be a busy time for you, setting up winter this year, probably gonna be just CRAZY with the over-time,” Pinkie let out a little giggle, matching the timeline in her memory up with what she knew about this world’s events, then did a sudden double-take, “Wait, you two are dating?”

“Well… uh…” Jake stammered, and looked to Dash for help.

“We’re… uh..,” Dash struggled, “Our relationship is WAY too awesome for those kinds of petty labels.”

“And we don’t talk about feelings,” Jake blurted out, then blushed at Rainbow’s glare.

“OUR feelings,” Rainbow Dash corrected.

“Yeah,” Jake fumbled on, “if you ever want to talk about what happened… we’re totally here for you...”

“Don’t worry,” Pinkie smiled, “I’m sure I’ll be wanting to talk about it soon. But don’t be surprised if I forget about this talk, because… you know… how upset I am, about the… thing? That happened?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow game her friend a really concerned look, “Are you sure you’re okay? Because you seem a bit off…”

“I think this mane style is getting to me,” Pinkie smiled as she told the little white lie, “I think I’m gonna go get it done back poofy, and when you see me back in Ponyville, I’ll be right back to whatever it was that you expected. Well, I’m off to see the mane stylist again. Have fun with your no-labels-super-awesome-hanging-out-it’s-totally-not-a-date-even-though-it-is-thing-you-do!”

And just like that, pinky disappeared around the corner in a blur.

“That was…” Rainbow Dash began.

“...weirder than usual, even for Pinkie Pie,” Jake finished.

Author's Note:

Plague Pinkie has arrived! :pinkiecrazy:

Also, yes, totally shipped Jake with Rainbow Dash :rainbowkiss:. Why not?

I would never ship cannon ponies with my dirty OC's (Ki tried, and I had to put the smack-down on him :pinkiesad2: ), but Jake’s not one of MY dirty OC’s, so it seems legit.

PreviousChapters Next