• Published 19th Dec 2015
  • 4,476 Views, 49 Comments

Snip Snip - Summer Dancer

  • ...
2
 49
 4,476

Mhm...

Limestone Pie sighed, flipping through the channels on the television screen every few nanoseconds. “There’s never anything good on Sunday afternoons,” she grunted. She finally gave up and turned to her two younger sisters. “I’m getting popcorn. Want anything?”

“Mm-mm,” Marble said softly, which meant, “No thank you.”

“Nope,” Pinkie echoed from in between them, flipping through a neon magazine. Her bubble gum snapped with each turn of a page. Limestone raised a suspicious eyebrow at her sibling.

“You SURE.”

“Yepporooni, none for me, thanks!”

Limestone shrugged nonchalantly. “Mkay. Pick a channel, will ya?” She tossed the remote and padded to the kitchen.

Marble stole a sideways glance at her twin and shifted her gaze to the tv in front of her, then back to Pinkie. She propped her elbow on top of the sofa they sat on and rested her palm on the side of her cheek, violet eyes focused on the girl next to her.

“Something you wanted, Marble?” Pinkie asked, looking up with a curious smile.

Marble visibly flinched and flushed red, shrinking back to her corner of the couch and grunted out “Mm-mm,” which probably meant, “N-Nothing--Maud mentioned that we’d be having spaghetti for dinner tonight.”

“Really? That’s new! Well, if she’s feeling up to that, maybe I could add some parmesan to it!” She blew a bubble and promptly used her tongue to draw it back in. “You sure there isn’t anything else?”

Marble stared ahead at the television screen as she played with her fingers in her lap. “Mhm.”

“Aaaalrighty then.”

Limestone plopped back onto the couch with a bowl of popcorn on her lap. Pinkie took notice and reached into the bowl before shoving a hand full of popcorn into her mouth. “Mmmm. Thanks, Limestone!”

Limestone stared at her incredulously. “Pinkie. I just asked you if you wanted anything!”


Later that day, Marble found herself wandering past Pinkie’s room. She hesitated before taking a few steps back. “Not again!” Pinkie grumbled, looking down at her broken off hair brush in dismay. She ran a frustrated hand through her wild magenta curls before glancing up and seeing Marble hovering in the doorway through her vanity mirror. “Well, hey, sis!”

Marble bristled at being caught twice in one day and twiddled her thumbs in embarrassment. “Mhm?” Which could only mean, “What’s wrong, Pinkie?”

“Just broke my hairbrush off my hair,” Pinkie grumbled. After a pause, she chuckled heartily. “Again!” With the flick of her wrist, she tossed it into a nearby wastebasket.

Marble perked up a little, her mouth curling into a tiny smile. With a brief shuffle of her feet, she entered Pinkie’s room and moved in behind her. “Um...Pinkie?” Which translated into--oh, wait.

Pinkie blinked in surprise and turned around. “Yeah?”

Marble blushed deeply and looked up with a shy grin. “W-Would you mind if--I mean if you’re not doing anything special...um…” She reached for Pinkie’s curly locks and ran it between her fingers. “Can I... do your hair?”

Pinkie’s eyes widened at the sudden request. “You...want to do my hair?”

Marble looked down at her shoes and nodded. “Mhm.”

Pinkie grinned. “Well, all you had to do was ask!”

Marble bit her lip, barely containing her growing smile. “Wait here.”

The younger sibling turned and disappeared into the hallway. After a while, she returned and took Pinkie by the hand. She lead her sister over to the kitchen sink with a chair propped against the counter; different colored bottles of shampoo and conditioner were strategically placed by the faucet. “Wow, you went all out!” Pinkie remarked.

Marble smiled coyly as she guided Pinkie over to the chair. “Now, just, um, just lie back and rest you head here. I folded a hand towel on the edge so you won’t hurt your neck.”

“Thanks a bunch!” Pinkie plopped into the chair and leaned all the way back so she had a full view of the ceiling. “Y’know, when mom used to wash our hair, she’d always make us lean over the sink while standing up!” She wrinkled her nose at the memory while Marble made sure all of Pinkie’s hair made it into the sink.

“I always hated that. I mean, how could she expect me to stand in one place for that long with nothing to do? Plus it was bad for Maud’s back.”

Marble turned on the faucet and started spraying Pinkie’s head. The latter cried out unexpectedly, nearly making Marble jump out of her skin. “C-C-C-C-C-Cold! Cold!”

Marble gasped and quickly adjusted the temperature to a warmer setting. “Sorrysorrysorry!”

“Th-Th-That’sss ok-k-kayyy,” Pinkie shivered between chattering teeth.

Marble gave an embarrassed giggle and smoothed the long curtain of pink hair in her hands, getting it as wet as possible. Some time in, she had managed to get every part of Pinkie’s hair soaking wet, and it straightened momentarily--however, certain strands started to curl back up as soon it was halfway dry. Marble was quick to act, opening a bottle of conditioner, squeezing a large dollop into her hand and scrubbed Pinkie’s scalp, slowly working her way up. Marble noted that using conditioner first tamed Pinkie’s hair the most, making it easier to control. She glanced down and frowned a little when she saw a pair of bright blue eyes staring back up at her. “So serious,” Pinkie simpered.

“Er...Pinkie, I’d feel a lot better if you’d stop staring at me like that.”

“Whoops! Sorry,” Pinkie replied, closing her eyes. “It’s just that your face was so concentrated and stoic like and I almost never see that, except when you’re painting and we almost never see you paint because your room’s almost always locked…”

Pinkie continued to ramble on while Marble shifted her focus to the large mass of hair. Most people would attempt to quiet Pinkie, but Marble let her sister do her thing, adding a “Mhm” to every question the pink girl asked. She made careful measurements of how much hair products she would use to properly tame it. Some time later, Marble had Pinkie sit back up and lathered her head with heavy-duty conditioner before wrapping a towel around it. “Now you just have to wait half an hour before we rinse it again,” she instructed.

“What do we do ‘till then?” Pinkie wondered, patting the dome on top of her head. Then she gasped loudly, making Marble jump. The older twin grabbed her sister’s hand and dragged her out of the kitchen and up the stairs. “We can play Power Ponies!”

Marble’s eyebrows lifted. “Y-You’d let me play your favorite video game?”

“Of course!”

Pinkie burst into her room and practically yanked Marble down to the carpet floor along with herself. Humming no particular tune, she crawled forward on her hands and turned on the tv and the console. “But...um…” Pinkie placed a controller into her hands. “Pinkie, I’ve never actually played a video game before.”

Pinkie turned to her, appalled. “Never?” An uncharacteristic frown creased her features. “You mean I never showed you?”

“Well...I’ve always liked watching you play. I probably wouldn’t be any good at it.”

Pinkie suddenly reached over and wrapped an arm around Marble’s shoulders before pulling her close. Marble lifted her eyes and Pinkie gave her a resolute-filled grin. “Then I’m here to teach ya.”

The corners of Marble’s mouth lifted. She glanced at the TV screen, then turned back to Pinkie. “...I’d like to be Saddle Rager.”


After nearly 21 minutes of crash course gaming, Pinkie and Marble returned to the sink and rinsed out Pinkie’s hair. After a firm toweling off, the two relocated to Marble’s room. Pinkie sat herself on a wooden chair in front of a full length mirror while Marble retrieved a blow dryer, some hair pins, a pair of scissors, and a flat iron. Marble blushed upon seeing the confused look upon Pinkie’s face. She waved the items gripped in both hands with a sheepish expression. “I thought we could maybe, mmm...straighten your hair?”

Pinkie couldn’t help but lift an eyebrow. She very much liked her curly, bouncy hair; despite how much other people, including her parents, were fond of it being straighter. Not to mention that blow dryers were her unspoken enemies. But on the other hand, this was the most open Marble has ever been since they were kids. Heck, this is the most she’s ever spoken since they were kids! Pinkie didn’t want to disappoint her. “Sure, why not?”

Blow drying was a nightmare, as to be expected. At first, it wasn’t so bad; Marble started with spraying Pinkie’s hair with heat protectant spray, and then sectioned it off with the pins she had brought in. Despite the heavy duty shampoos and conditioners, Pinkie’s hair was actually starting to curl right back on it’s own, eliciting a stern glare from Marble. She quickly caught the rebelling hairs with the blow dryer with firm tugs, making Pinkie scream over and over. Their father eventually appeared in the doorway, his hand clutching at his heart. The disgruntled parent left after knowing that his daughter was screaming for a good reason this time, muttering under his breath how they would never have any more children.

After Pinkie felt her skull was on fire, Marble gently ran a comb through the river of pink and prepared the flat iron. Pinkie puffed her cheeks and blew out a bit of air while Marble ran the tool through the first section, wisps of smoke dancing in the air. "I like your curly hair, Pinkie...but I thought it would be nice if we tried something...different?" She smiled softly. "It's going to look really pretty, I promise you."

"Mhm," Pinkie replied.

Looking at her through the mirror, Pinkie thought back to when folks used to inquire about Marble, asking about why she never spoke as much as she used to. There was nothing wrong with her, never suffered any terrible tragedies, aside from their Granny Pie passing when they were seven. Being homeschooled was completely her choice, though the other Pie sisters never knew the complete reason. She wasn’t quite the strong silent type, nor was she mysterious. She was just Marble Pie.

Pinkie just chalked it up to Marble simply being a woman of few words; She only spoke when she absolutely needed to. “Like Big Mac!” Pinkie realized.

“Hmm?”

“Uh--nothing. Just an aid from my school. I don’t think you know him yet. Did I mention he’s Applejack’s big brother?”

“Mhm. I’m sure if he’s related to a nice girl like Applejack... I’m sure he’s nice too.”

“Oh, you bet he is!”

“Halfway through, Pinkie.”

After a moment of silence, Pinkie spoke up again. “I find it interesting that you talk to me the most. Out of everyone else in our family, I mean.”

Pinkie’s statement surprised Marble. “Hmm. I suppose...when we’re alone...with you, I just have more to say.” Her dark hair fell over her eyes. “If that makes sense.”

Pinkie sat back and gave a nod, apparently satisfied with that answer.

After a few more passes with the flat iron, Pinkie’s hair was finally done. The excitable sibling stood and stretched, letting her long pink hair swing against her back. “Thanks, Marble.” She twirled around and flashed a smile at the girl in the mirror. She had to admit, she looked pretty cute, if not more mature. “You’re amazing!”

Marble came up next to her and wrapped her arms around her sister; she rested her chin on Pinkie’s shoulder while she gazed at their reflection with a certain fondness. “Now... we look like twins.”

Pinkie looked at Marble in silent awe.

Marble hesitated. “I’m glad I...got to spend some time with you.”

The older twin sniffled happily before suddenly kissing Marble on the cheek. “I love you, Marble.”

Said girl blushed, and before she could say anything, Pinkie whipped out her phone and angled it with flair. “This is so going on MyStable!”

Hiding a light smirk, Marble quickly blocked her face with her sweater sleeve before the flash could go off.

Author's Note:

Hey y'all. Just wanted to write a simple sister bonding moment on this rainy morning. Hey, this is actually my first fic where nothing disastrous happens! Yaaay! :rainbowlaugh:

So yeah, just something simple, which I like. Just two sisters hangin' out. Let me know if I made any errors or mistakes and thanks for reading :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 49 )

The disgruntled parent left after knowing that his daughter was screaming for a good reason this time, muttering under his breath how they would never have any more children.

This time? Oh dear.

Said girl blushed, and before she could say anything, Pinkie whipped out her phone and angled it with flair. “This is so going on MyStable!”

Yes. :rainbowlaugh:

Marble turned on the faucet and started sprayed Pinkie’s head. The ladder cried out unexpectedly, nearly making Marble jump out of her skin. “C-C-C-C-C-Cold! Cold!”

"ladder" should be latter.

Marble gave an embarrassed giggle and smoothed the long curtain of pink hair in her hands, getting it was wet as possible. Some time in, she had managed to get every part of Pinkie’s hair soaking wet, and it straightened momentarily--however, certain strands started to curl back up as soon it was halfway dry.

"getting it as wet as possible". Those are the only mistakes I see! Great job! It was really cute. :pinkiesad2:

6748143 No problem! Happy to help! :twilightsmile:

Well this was certainly adorable. Gotta love god sisterly bonding moment. Have an up vote.

That image, Pinkie doesn't seem pleased about that hair style. :rainbowlaugh:

marble didnt have to go through that much trouble all she had to do is say something hurtful to pinkie and she would had deflated her self:ajsmug:

Marble turned on the faucet and started sprayed Pinkie’s head.

It should probably be "started spraying"

“It’s just that your face was so concentrated and stoic like and I almost never see that, except when you’re painting and we almost never see you paint because you’re room’s almost always locked…”

your, not you're

The she gasped loudly, making Marble jump.

Then. Lol silly mistake but i'm feeling very correcty tonight. Hope ya don't mind.

I don't usually do this kinda stuff, but the inner critic slash, whatever they're called in me was itching for it

I loved the story very cute, and heartwarming.

I read in your foot note that you wrote this on a raining morning? Must have been really great getting all that in, in one morning to!

6748368 Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. :pinkiehappy: And yeah, on mornings like these, I like to keep myself busy :twilightsmile:

6748377 nearly forgot. Nice profile picture by the way, very merry, and Christmasy, just like mine. But mine's more of a, you either get it or you don't, kinda Christmasy, merry one.

6748390 Thanks! I kind of feel that yours involves a certain doctor who or star treck, but I'm probably wrong :twilightsheepish:

6748402 and you'd be correct about a certain Doctor. Congratulations. You win, something, I dunno yet, but something

6748409 Success :rainbowdetermined2: My friend loves Doctor Who and I tried to watch the first episode for free, but YouTube doesn't have it and it's very choppy in dailymorion :ajsleepy:

6748420 like you I had such problems for quite some time. But I have this station called PBS on my tv that airs an old episode of Doctor Who on saturday 9:00 pm I think. Of course I don't know what you have.

I actually didn't start with episode 1, because episode one was like 52 years ago. Timey wimey stuff. But I know for a fact that you can start anywhere in the show and understand the show. I think tonight they wrap up Season 8 on pbs. I'd have to be sure. But anyways yeah. If you have that channel, or BBC America, you can hop right in every day, on the weekends.

Awwww, that was cute, nice going! :yay:

6748434 Okay, thanks! I have PBS.

These are my favorite types of stories. Just family fluff and bonding. I like that you made Pinkie and Marble twins, and her motivation is nothing short of precious. Great job.

I genuinely detested this.

6749915 You know, instead of blatantly stating your opinion in a way that can come off as rude, why not explain to the author why you disliked their story with constructive criticism. I mean, you were commenting anyway so surely it isn't that hard to at least explain why you didn't like it and help them improve in the future.

As for my thoughts on the story itself, it was cute. Certainly a nice sibling moment between Marble and Pinkie and I know you weren't going for much beyond that. I do have a minor gripe though, in the fact that the beginning section prior to the first line break doesn't really add anything to the story. It could be removed altogether and everything would remain largely unchanged. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

6749915 It might be fair perhaps give a reason as to why you felt that way. The story has its flaws, (some typos, a tense shift or two, a few oddly-parsing sentences) but I wouldn't have at all expected those enough to warrant considering it 'detestable'.

6750091
Fair, fair.

I disliked it for the very reason that it was cute. You utterly dismantled the fundamental and underlying design of Marble by having her do something so assuming as cut her sisters hair to match her own. This is something that the true character would never do; Marble Pie is the sort of pony who would not force any semblance of themselves onto another.

Furthermore, you have simultaneously torn the fundament of Pinkie Pie to the extent of her hair being cut by her sister. As more than one episode shows us, Pinkie Pie's hair is only malleable as her emotions change. The very idea of her hair being cut is simply devoid of Pinkie's mane's paramount notion and design.

Finally, this fiction was so agonisingly feminine. Yes, more so than MLP FIM itself. Overall, in conjunction with the flawed writing techniques, it was essentially badly written. The epicurean-like manner in which it is concocted only testifies to why it is so excruciatingly feminine. Given that I was able to almost immediately form a basis of opinion for the story's writing style, and the reasons for which I would dislike it, simply by looking at your short bio, your profile picture, your story description, and the title of the one and only chapter is a clear indicator that you need to add variety to your stories in order for more individuals to enjoy them. Still, I persevered with difficulty to the end in the ever thinning hope that there would be some redeeming light for your story. I found none.
But despite my intense dislike of your story, well done for getting the views and likes from those who apparently enjoyed it.

6750149
I respect your opinion. I aknowledge that my writing needs sprucing up since I'm still learning. Though I'm not ashamed of being girly or feminine. I like being girly :rainbowkiss: I simply saw the picture, adored it, and wrote something about it. I used to be shy as Marble in one point in my life, but I used to do something like this with my cousin. Pinkie could easily change it back if she really didn't like it, but hey. Sorry this fic isn't for you, but I appretiate your honesty, despite your allergic reaction to femininity.

6750149 Boy this story just boiled your parsnips didn't it

Fact of it is we don't have a huge amount of information on any of Pinkie's siblings sans perhaps Maud. With that in mind it's kinda hard to base the entirety of a character's characterization on one single episode, and thus leaves a considerable amount of wiggle room for interpretation, especially with regards to the interactions between sisters that we didn't actually get a lot of during the episode itself.

Moreover, your arguments seem to be, respectively: Fundamental characterization problem, fundamental characterization problem, and it's too light and fluffy and feminine for me. The first two could theoretically be construed as constructive criticism if your complaints weren't terribly absolutist and framed in a deliberately confrontational manner, and the last strikes me as opinion of taste more than fact. Why chime in if you knew from the get-go you weren't going to like it? Because you forced yourself to finish it, like you're some kind of brave, noble matyr? You framed your complaints in a knowingly combative way, and that's not really a good way to get a message to be taken seriously. If you're going to pretend at an air of intellectualism you must know that.

Lastly...this is fanfiction, man. Fan-fiction. A great deal of the fun of fanfics is just writing the things that pop into our heads and sharing them with others. I think it a safe assumption that the majority of the writers here aren't award-winning caliber and that most of them are just doing this for their own personal amusement. If we adhered 100% to the hard fact canon as we did, we wouldn't have a lot of interesting stories (even discounting the sometimes inconsistent depiction of characters IN the show). Gotta diverge, reinterpret, imagine. We're writing fictional interpretations of a fictional show about a pastel rainbow of magical talking ungulates with stamps on their butts and a penchant for being nice to each other.

I'm all for helping people improve, but your comments aren't being helpful in that regard.

6750317 IGNORE THAT BUGGER!

I LOVED IT!

ME WANT TO CHOKE ON FLUFFINESS!

6750603 Don't choke, you'll die! :fluttercry:

“I find it interesting that you talk to me the most. Out of everyone else in our family, I mean.”

Pinkie’s statement surprised Marble. “Hmm. I suppose...when we’re alone...with you, I just have more to say.” Her dark hair fell over her eyes. “If that makes sense.”

I assume it's also in part due to the fact that twins have an unspoken connection with each other. :rainbowlaugh: This is a really cute story!

That cover art is so cute. :rainbowkiss:

Nice sisterly bonding Slice of Life story, of course. :twilightsmile:

Wonderful. The translations of marble-speak were cool and the dialogue between the two brought a smile to my face.

I want to be Pinkie, she got all that gossip from just sitting there listening to everything and everyone through her hair strands or some shit:pinkiecrazy:

Also Marble needs to be in more stories like this, this story was cute

Why did the episode just skim over that? I mean she has a twin! That's so much different then just having a sibling! Are they fraternal twins? Seriously! :unsuresweetie:

Also, I have an identical twin, so I was like, that's cool!:pinkiehappy:

So, um, cute story!:twilightsmile:

This is one of the cutiest fics I have read this month.

Surprisingly cute. I enjoyed it! :raritystarry:

Am I the only one who really likes Marble Pie? :pinkiehappy: Y NO MARBLE PIE EMOJIS?!

6750332 Wow. That was well written. Nice! I was going to write something more, but you kind of summed up my tho it's exactly!
As for the story, it was ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!

*squees at Marble being adorable*

Awwww! My heart just burst with happiness!

Maybe marble is secretly ultra-creative. Like all around art-master creative. I'm talking movies, books,paintings, people. The world is canvas and her inspiration both sort of thing.

Well... if cuteness could kill,this would do it. I love it.

I still come back to this story. I love it. So cute and heart-warming.

That was a pleasant little slice of life piece. The ending was sweet too. I also like the idea that Marble feels more like talking when she's around Pinkie. Thank you for sharing. :twilightsmile:

6792094
Well, it's actually never stated in canon that Pinkie and Marble are twins. I think it's just the author's personal interpretation.

9530089
God, reading my comments from when I was thirteen makes me want to die

Limestone stared at her incredulously. “Pinkie. I just asked you if you wanted anything!”

What did you expect, it's pinkie pie for ya. :ajsmug:

After Pinkie felt her skull was on fire, Marble gently ran a comb through the river of pink and prepared the flat iron. Pinkie puffed her cheeks and blew out a bit of air while Marble ran the tool through the first section, wisps of smoke dancing in the air. "I like your curly hair, Pinkie...but I thought it would be nice if we tried something...different?" She smiled softly. "It's going to look really pretty, I promise you."

I hope she knows what she's doing. :fluttershysad:

Pinkie just chalked it up to Marble simply being a woman of few words; She only spoke when she absolutely needed to. “Like Big Mac!” Pinkie realized.

Yep. :eeyup:

Marble came up next to her and wrapped her arms around her sister; she rested her chin on Pinkie’s shoulder while she gazed at their reflection with a certain fondness. “Now... we look like twins.”

Huh, so that's why she did it. Clever. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment