• Published 16th Dec 2015
  • 2,438 Views, 201 Comments

Scootaloo's New Family - Alaborn



Scootaloo has the worst family in all of Equestria! Even Princess Twilight Sparkle agrees. That’s why she’s granting Scootaloo the whole summer to find a new, better family. And Scootaloo knows just where to go.

  • ...
7
 201
 2,438

Chapter 7: Speed Dating

Scootaloo’s New Family

By Alaborn

Standard disclaimer: This is a not for profit fan work. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyright Hasbro, Inc. I make no claim to any copyrighted material mentioned herein.

Chapter 7: Speed Dating


“Yeah, it was a total bust,” Scootaloo said to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom as they gathered for Twilight Time. “Who knew Berry Punch had some wacky diet?”

“So you’re back with Twilight again?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah. It was such a waste of time. If I had just asked her about what they ate, I wouldn’t have bothered!”

“Hmm,” Sweetie Belle said, rubbing her chin with her hoof.”

“What?”

“I have an idea,” she said. “Let me think about it, and then we’ll talk after Twilight Time.”

Scootaloo tried focusing on Twilight Sparkle’s engineering lessons, but she found herself distracted by Sweetie Belle’s idea. The promise of a solution to her family problem was dangling overhead, like a ripe fruit. And because it came from a fellow Crusader, it was sure to work!

After the maddeningly long process of cleaning up after their lessons, Scootaloo strode up to Sweetie Belle. “Okay, spill. What’s your idea?”

“Well, I read in one of Rarity’s magazine about something called speed dating. It’s where a bunch of stallions and mares get together in the same place, and they meet each other for only a few minutes, but they meet a lot of ponies, and so they have lots of chances to meet their special somepony!”

“You think that’d be a better approach for Big Mac than a love potion?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Focus, Apple Bloom,” Scootaloo said. “So what happens after?”

“Well, the article said something about ponies marking ‘yes’ or ‘no’, and then they’re matched up like that. But for you, the only ponies you’d meet would be the ones who would want to be your new family, so that’s a ‘yes’, and then all you have to do is say yes back!”

“So then you could find out if there’s something weird about them before you move in?” Apple Bloom said.

“Exactly,” Sweetie Belle said.

“That’s a great idea!” Scootaloo said.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADER FAMILY FINDERS, YAY!” they shouted.


“Maybe this isn’t such a great idea after all,” Scootaloo muttered.

Scootaloo had created a list of the deal-breakers from her past families, and then came up with a corresponding list of what she was looking for in a family. A clean house, but not too clean. A normal diet, with a variety of foods. A fair share of the chores. And above all, free from strangeness.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle then reviewed the list, and pointed out Scootaloo had missed a few obvious things. The house had to be on the ground. Scootaloo needed a bed. And her new family had to be supportive of Scootaloo’s interests, like her scooter, crusading, and Twilight Time.

But the one thing Scootaloo hadn’t considered was that just meeting the pony in public was a valuable form of screening. Now, with the public call to find a new family for Scootaloo, anypony and everypony was coming to meet her.

Scootaloo sighed as a gray earth pony stallion with a blond mane entered the room. “Hello, sir,” she said. “May I have your name?”

“I am Hughbert Jellius,” the stallion replied. “I am thrilled to meet you, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo recognized the stallion, and mentally tossed her checklist. “So, Mr., uh, Jellius? Are you still strangely obsessed with tubs of jelly?”

“It is not an obsession, young filly. It is a calling, a passion! And one I hope to share with the next generation.”

“Yeah, about that. No. Just no,” Scootaloo said.


“Have you considered the benefits of membership in a diverse family?” the next visitor asked. “Think of the broadened perspectives, the unique worldviews!”

“I may be a daredevil and a Crusader, but even I have my limits, Discord,” Scootaloo said.

“Oh well, still fun for me,” Discord said, summoning a bucket of popcorn. “Mind if I watch?”

Scootaloo sighed. “It’s not like I could stop you. Just, could you watch somewhere else? I don’t want to make anypony more nervous than they already are.”

“Fine,” Discord replied.


“Yeah!”

Scootaloo looked up at the hulking white pegasus stallion with tiny wings. “Yeah?”

“Yeah!”

“Yeah.”

“Yeah?”

“No.”

“No?”

“No,” Scootaloo said, sighing.


The next candidate looked promising, a dapper earth pony stallion wearing a bow tie. Scootaloo recognized the town’s clock maker. Time Turner, she recalled, or was he a doctor of some kind? She couldn’t remember.

“Good afternoon, Scootaloo. I’m glad for this chance to meet you,” Time Turner said. “There’s an empty room in my house, and an empty space in my heart, plenty big enough for an energetic and independent filly like you.”

“Well, that’s good. I’m looking for a family that wants an energetic and independent filly,” Scootaloo replied. She reached for her list of questions.

“Exactly! A daughter to raise, a pony to nurture, and a companion to join me on a grand adventure to....”

“No! No adventures,” Scootaloo interrupted.

“I’m sorry?”

“I’ve had my fill of adventure, and I just want a normal family,” Scootaloo said.

“But....”

“Sorry, but that’s one of my firm rules,” Scootaloo said. “But thanks for coming by.”

“A shame, really. Very well. I wish you the best, Scootaloo.”

Time Turner walked out of the room. He pulled out a brochure and looked at it forlornly. It advertised the Xtreme Sports Xpo, coming up in Fillydelphia; the brochure included the slogan It’s an Adventure. “And I was sure she’d be interested.”


“Thunderlane?” Scootaloo said with surprise. “You’re here?”

“Yeah,” the dark stallion said, brushing a hoof through his mane. “You’re looking for a family?”

“Yes, but... Let me be honest, Thunderlane. You never struck me as a family stallion.”

“I am the primary caregiver for my little brother, you know. And we have plenty of room.”

“Yeah, I know. And your house smells like two stallions live there. Remember, I’ve been there to do school projects with Rumble.”

“We can clean up, if you want,” Thunderlane said.

“Look, Thunderlane, I already went through this with Rainbow Dash. I couldn’t live with the dirty floors and clutter. And your room? I can smell it from the front door. It smells like a locker room. What, are you exercising with those two mares who are always over?”

“Yeah, exercising,” Thunderlane said, scratching the back of his head nervously.

“I’m glad you’re looking out for me, but I already know it’s not going to work. Sorry,” Scootaloo said.

Thunderlane walked out of the room. Rumble was there, waiting for him, and the colt jumped to his hooves eagerly. “Well?”

“Sorry, little bro,” Thunderlane said, mussing Rumble’s mane. “If you want to get closer to Scootaloo, you’re just going to have to stallion up and talk to her yourself.”


The older stallion flipped to a new page on the pad resting on his easel. “...a full health and fitness suite including a weight room, running track, indoor pool, whirlpool, and sauna....”

“Uh, Mr. Rich?”

He flipped to the next page. “...healthy meals prepared by a top graduate of the Canterlot Culinary Academy....”

“Mr. Rich?”

Flip. “...and a library rivaled only by Princess Twilight’s. My wife and I have provided everything we can for our precious Diamond, but there’s one thing we are unable to provide her, a brother or sister.”

“Excuse me? Mr. Rich?”

“And that’s where you come in, Scootaloo. Having shared a home with a brother and sister growing up, I know the value of a large family. It’s something that friends and social clubs can’t fill.”

“FILTHY!”

Filthy Rich adjusted his tie and looked at Scootaloo. “Excuse me, Scootaloo, but I prefer to be called Mr. Rich.”

“That’s what I’ve been calling you! And you haven’t listened!”

“I’m sure I would have heard you if you....”

“Do you listen to anything anypony says? Like, what does Miss Cheerilee say when she talks to you about Diamond Tiara?”

Filthy Rich smiled. “She says what a gifted student and leader my Diamond is.”

“No! If you ever listened any of the dozen times Miss Cheerilee spoke to you, you’d know that Diamond Tiara is... let me be as diplomatic as possible, and say that we don’t get along. So this isn’t going to work,” Scootaloo said. “It’s an even worse idea than you trying to acquire Quills and Sofas!”

“But we had synergy!” Filthy Rich sputtered.

“Please go, Mr. Rich. And please listen to Miss Cheerilee. Do it, for your daughter. If you don’t, then not even a song and dance number will be able to save her.”


The room was silent after Filthy Rich departed, save for the sound of Scootaloo banging her head on the table. A minute later, Twilight Sparkle entered the room, followed by the other Crusaders.

“Are you okay, Scootaloo?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

Scootaloo brushed a stack of papers off the table angrily. “There are way too many crazy ponies in this town!” she shouted.

“Tell me about it,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Well, what about those?” Apple Bloom said, pointing to a much smaller stack of papers.

“I guess not everypony’s crazy. I did meet three families I’d like to visit.”

“That’s great news,” Twilight Sparkle said. She picked up the papers in her magic and reviewed them. “Octavia and Vinyl Scratch, Bon Bon, and Mayor Mare. They’re all good ponies. Let’s see if I can schedule a meeting with each of them tomorrow.”

“Okay, sounds good,” Scootaloo replied.


“Rise and shine, Scootaloo!”

Scootaloo groaned as she turned in her bed. She could already tell from the light streaming into the room that it was far too early.

“Do I have to get up?”

Twilight Sparkle pulled out a scroll and reviewed it. “Yes. Bon Bon wanted you to come over early, since she has a shop to run. Then we’ll visit Vinyl Scratch and Octavia, and finally Mayor Mare.”

Knowing better than to try to argue with a checklist-carrying Twilight Sparkle, Scootaloo dragged herself out of bed. After a shower and breakfast, she and Twilight Sparkle set off.

Like every filly, Scootaloo knew where Bon Bon’s shop was. It wasn’t far from Sugarcube Corner, in a part of town that housed a lot of shops with homes attached. This time, though, she went around back, to the residence side of the building.

Twilight Sparkle knocked quietly, and Bon Bon opened the door. “Good morning, Twilight. And you too, Scootaloo,” she said.

“Hi,” Scootaloo said.

“So you want to see what it’d be like if you lived with me. And I’ve been looking to adopt. So let’s see if this will work for us,” Bon Bon said.

“Why are you speaking so softly?” Scootaloo asked.

“Lyra’s asleep. She performs late, and sleeps late. We don’t want to wake her.”

“So can I sleep late too?”

“If you like. I wouldn’t want to interfere with your preferred sleep schedule,” Bon Bon replied. “Of course, you still need to go to school.”

They toured the home, save for Bon Bon’s bedroom. It felt like a home. There were family portraits and knickknacks, with the decorative styles of the two mares living there evident. The house was clean and well-maintained, and Scootaloo found no problem with the bedroom that would be hers.

“And now, let me show you the best part of our home,” Bon Bon said.

Bon Bon opened the door between home and shop. Scootaloo saw the candy shop she was familiar with, smelled the faint scents of sugar and chocolate, but for the first time, she was seeing the shop from behind the counter! Scootaloo beamed.

“This is my pride and joy. I work hard at making candy every day, but it’s worth it to see just that expression on colts’ and fillies’ faces every time they walk through the door,” Bon Bon said.

“Uh, do you want me to work here with you?” Scootaloo asked. “Because last time, it didn’t work so well.”

Bon Bon chuckled. “Yes, Pinkie Pie told me all about your unfortunate encounter with her taffy machine. There are certain times of year where the shop is very busy, namely Hearts and Hooves Day, Nightmare Night, and Hearth’s Warming. And during that time, I have Lyra help me. I’d like you to help me too, but I’ll keep you working on tasks suited to your talents.” She wrapped a foreleg around Scootaloo and pulled her closer. “Of course, I’d be happy to teach you more. Maybe you’ll get a cutie mark in candy making after all!”

“You’d do that for me?”

“Of course, Scootaloo. I’ll just be sure to start you with the basics, before letting you work with hot sugar,” Bon Bon said. “Do you want to see where I make my candy?”

“Do I ever!”

The kitchen was a bit disappointing for Scootaloo, since there was no candy being made at the time. But it was filled with all sorts of unfamiliar machines, racks with spices and flavorings, and of course tasty raw ingredients. Scootaloo pressed her muzzle against a clear container filled with chocolate chunks.

“Melt those over a double boiler, and with a touch of loving care, and some heavy whipping cream, those will become my famous bonbons!” Bon Bon said.

“I bet I could do that,” Scootaloo said.

“There’s a lot more to it than melting chocolate, but I’d love to have an assistant,” Bon Bon said. “But we can talk about that later. Do you think you’d like to try living with me?”

“I think I would,” Scootaloo replied. “Well, maybe. I have two other families to meet.”

“My heart is open to you, if you choose me,” Bon Bon said. She turned to Twilight. “Do you think you two could return in the evening, after my shop’s closed, either way?”

“Of course,” Twilight Sparkle said.

They walked back into the shop. Scootaloo eyed the baskets of candies hungrily.

Bon Bon rested a hoof on Scootaloo’s withers. “I see you’re looking at my candies. The shop’s closed now, but let me introduce you to one of the benefits of being a candy mare’s daughter. That basket of caramels? They were made four days ago. I’ll be making fresh ones today. The old candies? I wouldn’t want to sell them, but I will share them with my family. Have as many as you want, Scootaloo.”

She rushed up to the basket and placed her forehooves on its rim. “You mean it? As many as I want?”

Bon Bon laughed. “That wasn’t meant as a personal challenge, Scootaloo. Nopony should eat too much candy. But you’re an energetic little filly. I’m sure you can burn off any reasonable amount of candy.”

Scootaloo nodded and nosed into the basket. The caramels had colorful wrappers, and the sign above the basket indicated the colors corresponded to different flavors. Scootaloo grabbed one of each: vanilla, chocolate, honey, apple, and peanut butter. She checked the sign, and noticed she was missing raspberry.

“Now where are you?” she said to herself. She started stirring the basket of candies with a wing.

“You’re using your wing as a hand! You have a human soul!”

Scootaloo looked up to see that a mint-colored unicorn had entered the shop from the residence. She yelped as she felt herself lifted in the air, the tingle of Lyra’s magic over her.

“Lyra!” Bon Bon yelled. “Put her down!”

Lyra trotted up and pulled Scootaloo into a hug. “You’re not alone, Scootaloo. There are others like you. We understand,” Lyra said.

“I don’t have a... whatever you said!” Scootaloo protested.

“You don’t have to hide it,” Lyra said softly.

“Lyra, put Scootaloo down,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Back me up, Twilight! You know all about humans!”

“There is no such thing as an alternate universe where ponies like you and I take the form of a mythological creature called a human,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“That was oddly specific,” Scootaloo muttered.

With both Bon Bon and Twilight Sparkle glaring at her, Lyra set Scootaloo down. Scootaloo looked to Bon Bon. “On second thought, maybe I’m not the best fit for this family,” she said.

Bon Bon glared at Lyra, but put on a smile when she turned to Scootaloo. “I understand,” she said. “I hope you find a family that loves you.”

Scootaloo turned away before she could see Bon Bon cry. “Let’s go, Twilight.”


“So is that why Bon Bon wanted to meet me while Lyra was asleep?” Scootaloo asked Twilight Sparkle.

“Perhaps. Lyra always had some odd beliefs as a filly. I didn’t know she carried them into adulthood,” Twilight Sparkle replied. “If I had known, I would have warned you.”

“Do you know anything about Octavia and Vinyl Scratch?”

“Unfortunately, I don’t know them well. They’ve both found acclaim as musicians, in their own genres, but I don’t know them personally.”

Scootaloo trotted after Twilight Sparkle. They passed through several neighborhoods and up a hill, where the houses grew sparser. They passed many normal houses on their way to a house that definitely wasn’t normal. It was painted two colors, for one, half a more natural brown and the other half a white tinted with violet. The chimney resembled the pipes of a pipe organ, and a bush sculpted into a quaver stood out front.

Twilight Sparkle knocked on the door, which also appeared to be halves of two doors glued together. An earth pony mare wearing a bow tie opened it.

“Good morning, Princess,” Octavia said.

“Please call me Twilight,” she replied. “This is more a social call. If Scootaloo decides she wants to try living with you, then I’ll be Princess Twilight.”

“Of course. Come on in. Tea?”

“Tea would be wonderful,” Twilight Sparkle said.

They stepped inside. Scootaloo marveled at the incongruous living room, which also served as a practice room for the two mares. The same split seen outside the cottage was continued inside. The walls were painted different shades, and everything from the furnishings to the window treatments was different. One half, presumably Octavia’s, was best described as traditional. Vinyl Scratch’s half was modern.

And speaking of Vinyl Scratch, the unicorn was lounging on a couch, nodding her head to the music coming through her headphones.

“Manners, Vinyl!” Octavia scolded.

Vinyl Scratch lifted the headphones from her ears. “I thought we were supposed to show Scootaloo what it would be like to live with us?” she replied.

“I kind of like the casual approach,” Scootaloo said.

“See?” Vinyl Scratch said.

Octavia harrumphed. “We are still going to talk about this over tea, seated at the table like normal ponies.”

Three ponies were soon seated at the kitchen table as Octavia started the tea service. While they waited, Scootaloo inspected the kitchen. Unlike the living room, the kitchen wasn’t split into two decorative schemes. Still, she noted certain accessories that were almost certainly placed there by Vinyl Scratch, and others that were selected by Octavia.

“So where did you two meet?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“Through the vast Canterlot music scene,” Octavia said. “We moved in different circles, of course, but these circles often intersect. I, of course, couldn’t stand Vinyl when we first met.”

“Still can’t,” Vinyl Scratch interjected.

“Hush, now. Though I dare not use the word music to describe most of what Vinyl does, I came to admire the passion she felt for... whatever she does with that magical musical monstrosity.”

“I just saw a mare who needed to loosen up,” Vinyl Scratch said.

“Be that it may, I found a mare who captured my heart, and even earned a grudging respect for that noise she calls music,” Octavia said. “We agreed that it made sense to move to Ponyville, where we could be close to Canterlot yet still secure an affordable home.”

“It’s a nice home,” Scootaloo said.

“We try,” said Vinyl Scratch, nodding her head to a rhythm only she heard.

Octavia brought the teapot to the table and poured four cups. “And now we’ve reached that point in our relationship where we’re considering a foal to call our own. With all the options we’ve considered, we weren’t expecting you to fall into our laps.”

“Well, I still don’t know if this family is right for me,” Scootaloo said.

“And we also need to know if adopting a filly like you is right for us,” Octavia replied.

“And the best way to do that isn’t sitting around all day drinking tea,” Vinyl Scratch said.

“On that, I agree,” Octavia said. “After finishing our cups, how about the grand tour?”

Scootaloo nodded. When the four ponies were finished with their drinks, they rose from the table. Octavia first led them outside. “The first thing I wanted to impress upon you, Scootaloo, is the isolation of this home.” She motioned with her foreleg, showing off the view of Ponyville. “The solitude suits us, but it may not suit you. It will be harder to get to school and see your friends every day. Are you all right with this, Scootaloo?”

“No problem. With my scooter, I can get to town in no time flat!”

“And there will be times when we will need to practice. We don’t wish to be distracted, unless it is an emergency,” Octavia continued. “As an independent filly, I don’t think that will be a problem, but we will need you to play outside, or play quietly inside. Can you do that?”

“Sure! I’ll just go see my friends, or practice with my scooter.”

“Stop trying to scare her off, Tavi,” Vinyl Scratch said. “You’ve got to see the rest of our home, Scootaloo!”

Octavia nodded, and Scootaloo followed Vinyl Scratch back inside. She first took her to her own room. Vinyl Scratch’s room functioned as a studio, and was decorated like a nightclub. Black paint, stainless steel furniture, glowing crystals... she even had a mirror ball hanging from the ceiling! The musical equipment was largely unfamiliar to Scootaloo; she could only see that there was a lot of it. Of all the equipment, Scootaloo only recognized the phonograph. Records were stacked in crates and spilled over a couch.

Vinyl Scratch beamed as she showed off her room. Octavia just sniffed. “As you can see, Vinyl’s room hardly resembles the bedroom it once was,” she said. “Even so, she sleeps far too often on that couch.”

“I’d wake you up, but you keep saying you need your beauty sleep,” Vinyl Scratch countered.

“Do you normally fight like this?” Scootaloo asked.

“Oh, Scootaloo. This isn’t fighting,” Octavia said. “Once you live with us, you’ll see this is our normal banter. We are different in so many ways, but we make beautiful music together.”

“Even if she wants to sleep while I want to party, I respect her differences,” Vinyl Scratch said. “We find time for each other, and that’s when we focus on our similarities.”

“And that means we won’t forget to find time for you,” Octavia said to Scootaloo.

Octavia showed off her room next. It still resembled a bedroom. It shared the same traditional decorations as her side of the living room. Several cellos stood on stands, and a podium was set up next to a bookshelf filled with sheet music.

“Now here’s your room,” Vinyl Scratch said.

The spare bedroom was as of yet undecorated, and didn’t look much different from the other spare bedrooms Scootaloo had seen.

“Consider this room a blank canvas,” Octavia said. “Paint the vision in your mind.”

“And don’t forget to compose your own soundtrack!” Vinyl Scratch added.

Scootaloo scratched her chin. “Do you think you could teach me music?” she asked.

“Of course, dear,” Octavia said. “I enjoy nothing more than helping a young mare find her talent in the musical arts. Fair warning, though; I don’t do voice lessons.”

“I think I already figured out I’m not a singer,” Scootaloo said.

“And once you’ve tired of Tavi’s traditions, I’ll be happy to show you how to lay down some fresh beats,” Vinyl Scratch said.

“These traditions are the underpinning of all modern music, including yours. And I have it on good authority from Rarity that Scootaloo may have a bit of appreciation for the traditional,” Octavia said. “Come along, Scootaloo.”

The ponies returned to the living room, and Octavia spoke again. “We have our musical differences, but we agree that there is nothing nobler than teaching music.”

“We’ll both find the time for you,” Vinyl Scratch continued.

“And if you find your talent, a part of this room will become a studio for you.”

“So what do you think? Who do you want to teach you?”

“Well, I am interested in music,” Scootaloo said. She looked at the two mares. “I guess what I’d like to learn is closer to Octavia’s music.”

Octavia gave Vinyl Scratch a knowing smirk.

“I really like the music of Green Scruffs.”

Vinyl Scratch’s jaw dropped, and she levitated the sunglasses from her eyes. “The banjo picker?” she said incredulously.

“Uh-huh,” Scootaloo replied.

Octavia gave a huff and turned. “I think we’re done here,” she said.

Vinyl Scratch gave a slow shake of her head and also turned away.

“Wait! What about respecting other kinds of music?” Scootaloo said.

“The key word is music,” Octavia said.

“Even I have my limits,” Vinyl Scratch added.

“But... but... music!” Scootaloo sputtered.

“I am sorry, but we can’t bring a dissonant note into our symphony,” Octavia said.

Scootaloo stared as the two musicians retreated to their rooms. She was brought out of her funk when Twilight Sparkle wrapped a wing around her.

“I’m sorry, Scootaloo,” Twilight Sparkle said. “But remember, this has to be a mutual acceptance.”

“But I never thought something small, like the kind of music I liked, would stop us!”

“Oh, it’s not a small thing,” Twilight Sparkle said. “Everypony hates banjo music.”


Scootaloo was feeling a bit down as she and Twilight Sparkle headed to the mayor’s office. Bon Bon, Octavia, and Vinyl Scratch were normal ponies, ones she only knew from occasional interactions, such as visiting Bon Bon’s shop or watching a musical performance. But Mayor Mare? She knew Scootaloo, and the Crusaders, a bit more.

Scootaloo had thought that Mayor Mare would have run away from the prospect of adopting her. Yet there she was, expressing a sincere desire to adopt her.

Scootaloo decided her first priority was making sure Mayor Mare hadn’t gone totally crazy.

The mayor’s office was quiet at this time of day. A sour-faced earth pony stallion sitting at a desk waved the two of them inside. Scootaloo followed Twilight Sparkle, who apparently knew the office well, and they soon arrived in the mayor’s private office.

“Good afternoon, Princess,” Mayor Mare said. “And good afternoon to you too, Scootaloo.”

“Hi, Mayor Mare,” Scootaloo replied.

“No need for titles, Scootaloo. The only title I want to hear you use is ‘Mom’.”

“Are you sure about that? You know I’m Scootaloo, right?”

“Of course,” Mayor Mare said.

“You remember the beehive? The tunnel? The waterslide?”

One of Mayor Mare’s eyes twitched. “Yes, I remember them. But fillies will be fillies, right?”

“And I don’t know how you could forgive me after we revealed that you dye your mane.”

Mayor Mare chuckled. “Now that’s nothing to worry about. If a future political opponent tries to bring it up, I can now say it’s old news, and the newspapers won’t focus on it.”

“That works?” Scootaloo asked.

“It works when the media wants you to win,” Mayor Mare replied with a wink.

“But I still don’t know why you want to adopt me,” Scootaloo said.

“I may be devoted to the ponies of Ponyville, but that doesn’t change my desire for a family to call my own,” Mayor Mare said. “But when everything’s about politics, it’s hard to find that simple personal relationship. With you, Scootaloo, I at least know you don’t have any ulterior motives.”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo said. “Can we go see your house?”

“Of course,” the mayor replied.

Twilight Sparkle looked ready to interject, but Mayor Mare waved her off. “As the mayor, I have a certain freedom with my schedule.” She walked up to the sour-faced stallion. “Red Tape, reschedule my meetings for the next hour. No, better make it two.”

“Of course, Madam Mayor,” he replied.

Thus temporarily free of her duties, Mayor Mare trotted out of the office, Scootaloo and Twilight Sparkle following. Their destination was a surprisingly modest home not far from Town Hall. She opened the door, revealing a pristine living room straight out of a home decorator magazine.

Scootaloo looked at the room, with every piece of furniture and every decoration in its proper place, and her heart sank. “I don’t think this is going to work for me,” she said.

“Now, Scootaloo, this is a room I use for entertaining dignitaries and donors. I maintain it to the highest standards. But that’s not how I prefer to live,” Mayor Mare said. “Come take a look.”

Scootaloo’s first glance of the kitchen revealed another sparkling clean room, but when she poked her head inside, she found that to be an illusion. The rest of the kitchen, the part not visible from the living room, had a comfortable amount of clutter. It looked like a place where ponies lived, not some cold museum.

“I assure you, Scootaloo, my own room is nothing I’d want to show to a visitor. And if that’s what you want too, then go ahead,” Mayor Mare said. “You’ll only need to set hoof in this room once a year.”

“What’s once a year?”

“Oh, the photography for my annual Hearth’s Warming card. We’ll stand in front of the tree while wearing matching red and green scarves and smile for the camera.”

“Ugh,” Scootaloo replied.

“It’s only once a year. It’s tradition,” the mayor said. “The constituents just eat it up!”

“I guess that’s okay,” Scootaloo said.

Mayor Mare then showed Scootaloo the rest of the house. Everything looked fine, with a bedroom ready for her and enough space to be comfortable. Mayor Mare even showed interest when Scootaloo talked about her hobbies and interests.

Everything went well, but something felt hollow about the whole thing.

“So what do you think? Would you like to be my daughter?” Mayor Mare asked.

“I’m not sure, but I think I’d like to try living here,” Scootaloo replied.

“Okay, but I do hope you’ll decide by tomorrow.”

“Why? What’s tomorrow?”

“Well, if you’re my daughter by tomorrow, then I can claim you as my dependent for the whole year!”

Scootaloo stared at Mayor Mare, dumbfounded.

Mayor Mare didn’t seem to notice Scootaloo’s expression. She nuzzled her and mussed her mane. “So what do you think, my little tax deduction?”

Scootaloo recoiled in horror. “My dad’s a tax accountant, and even he doesn’t call me his little tax deduction!”

“But I thought fillies liked terms of endearment!”

“That’s not endearing! Not one bit! How could you possibly think that?”

“But it was cute....”

“Just forget it.” Scootaloo turned to Twilight Sparkle. “I’m ready to go back to the castle.”


Scootaloo pushed her scooter with one hoof, rolling along the ground with all the enthusiasm of a young filly unsure what to make of this new wheeled contraption. Her eyes never left the ground.

Twilight Sparkle shook her head. She lifted Scootaloo with her magic and placed the filly on her back. The filly sighed and buried her muzzle in Twilight Sparkle’s mane. The alicorn had hoped to improve her mood, but more than that, she realized they’d never get home at Scootaloo’s ponderous pace. And so Twilight Sparkle returned home, with Scootaloo on her back and her scooter carried in her magic.

Scootaloo remained in her room the rest of the day, only coming out for dinner. The next day, though, she woke with her usual enthusiasm.

“I’m glad to see you’re feeling better,” Twilight Sparkle commented over breakfast.

“I just need to talk to the girls after Twilight Time. We’re sure to figure out what went wrong!” Scootaloo said.

“Yes, I’m confident you’ll eventually figure it out,” she replied.

That afternoon, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle arrived for Twilight Time. Twilight Sparkle got them started on their lessons right away, helping them through the difficult parts of their lessons and praising them when they showed improvement. It wasn’t until the lessons were over that Scootaloo remembered that she wanted to discuss the past day with her friends.

“You’ve got to help me figure out what went wrong!” Scootaloo said as she wiped the grease from her forelegs.

“Well, what did go wrong?” Apple Bloom asked.

“I’m still here, right?” Scootaloo said.

“You had three families! Was there something wrong with all of them?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Scootaloo sighed. “Bon Bon had this crazy marefriend. Octavia and Vinyl Scratch hated my favorite music. And Mayor Mare wanted to use me as some kind of political prop.”

“And I’m not happy when my parents treat me like a little filly, or when they act all lovey-dovey,” Sweetie Belle said. “Sounds like every family in Ponyville has its own problems.”

Twilight Sparkle’s ears turned to the fillies’ conversation. She leaned in to listen closer.

“That’s it!” Apple Bloom said. “In Ponyville! That’s the problem!”

Twilight Sparkle fell to her haunches and facehoofed.

“Think about it. There are all sorts of cities and towns in Equestria,” Apple Bloom continued. “In one of them, there’s bound to be a perfect family for you.”

Scootaloo looked out the window, seeing the familiar buildings of Ponyville below her. “But that would mean leaving Ponyville. Leaving you.”

“There’s Canterlot,” Sweetie Belle suggested. “It’s just a short train ride away!”

“With all those stuffy nobles?” Scootaloo said. “Face it, my prince isn’t going to come. I know, because Rarity told us that over and over again.”

“You’ve still got the summer, right?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah, all summer,” Scootaloo said.

“Come along, girls. It’s time to go,” Twilight Sparkle said.

Scootaloo and Twilight Sparkle walked with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle to the castle’s foyer. “See you tomorrow for crusading!” Scootaloo shouted.

The other fillies turned and waved. The guards opened the doors, and they departed. A few seconds later, they returned.

“What is it?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

“There’s this big fancy flying coach outside,” Apple Bloom said.

“It’s got a coat of arms on the side, like the nobles have!” Sweetie Belle added.

“That’s funny. I wasn’t expecting any noble visitors,” Twilight Sparkle said.

At that moment, hope bloomed in Scootaloo. For if the noble pony wasn’t here to see the princess, maybe she was here to adopt her!

Author's Note:

Yes, everypony in Ponyville is crazy.

So who's the noble come to rescue Scootaloo?