• Published 27th Dec 2015
  • 14,264 Views, 309 Comments

The Sunlight Project - Space Jazz



Sci-Twi is determined to get a girlfriend... using the scientific method.

  • ...
16
 309
 14,264

Analyze Results, Error Analysis & Conclusion

Citrus—lemons, to be exact. The room was bathed with the overwhelming scent. That was the first sensation I felt when my consciousness came back. I forced my eyes open and was treated to a blindingly white room. Everything was hazy, which wasn't much of a surprise. The impact probably knocked me unconscious, possibly even knocking off my contacts.

My hand wandered around, feeling for the lenses that were probably just out of reach. Somehow despite my blindness, I still was able to make out a general image of the room.

I was in a hospital room, lying down on a cot.

My eyes darted around the room, eventually landing on a familiar yellowish figure next to me.

It was her, the cause of all this... experimenting? I didn't even know what to call it anymore.

My focus adjusted, only slightly, though, and I was able to get a closer view of her. Still no specific details, but her hair was a mess, that much I could tell.

There was an audible sigh before my vision immediately began to clear, feeling the cold of my glasses as it came into contact with the bridge of my nose.

She was frowning, not really angry, just tired. Disappointed? I didn't know. I couldn't really read people that well.

"Hey, Twilight," Sunset said weakly, flashing a halfhearted smile. "You're up."

'Hi," I croaked, forcing out the words.

She bent over, adjusting my crooked glasses. "I saw your notes." Her voice was plain, yet confrontational. I groaned in response, earning a chuckle from Sunset as she slumped down onto a stool. Without saying much else, she motioned towards my backpack, where a crumpled pile of papers sat. Subconsciously, a weight fell off my shoulders. The entire thesis wasn't in the backpack, luckily, but the itinerary and the detailed plan to ask Sunset out were.

Sighing, she placed her hands on her head and massaged her temples in a slow, rhythmic fashion.

"Did you like them?" I joked, knowing how odd the notes must have looked to her. Though, I probably came off as insane for even asking that.

"Twilight, I..." Sunset trailed off. "I don't know what to think. I thought it was cute at first, but..."

I winced. "You knew?"

"Of course, I knew, Twilight. Everyone knew."

"Since when?"

"Me or the universe?"

I swallowed my breath. It was a joke, clearly, but it kind of stung to just have it all out there.

"You," I answered, stating the obvious.

Sunset sighed, tugging at her curly hair for what I assumed was moral support. "I had my suspicions for a while, but I guess it started the day Pinkie Pie threw that party for Maud."

That early? Oh jeez. "How?"

"You jumped at the chance to set up decorations after I volunteered. Then later that day, you asked if I'd be willing to date a girl. It wasn't solid, but I noticed how you kinda seemed to... flock towards me. Of course, I didn't know for sure until I saw all... this."

Unable to respond, I let the silence hang in the air. She wasn't mad as far as I could tell, but there was a slight coldness in her voice. It wasn't until she brought her hands down that I noticed the off-color bruises on her arms.

"Sunset!" I cried, nearly spilling over the medical bed. "Are you okay!?"

I couldn't believe how selfish I was being. Sunset was in pain, and I was the one in the cot, getting the medical attention.

"I should be the one asking you that." She pointed at my foot, which I just now noticed had a white cast wrapped around the ankle.

"Oh."

Sunset sighed, before reaching into her bag, "Unfortunately, Mr. Stuffed Bear didn't survive." Stifling a morbid chuckle, she held up the prize I had won her just hours earlier. It was a barely recognizable mass of white fluff and fabric. "Rest in peace. We hardly knew ye. Gone before I could give him a real name."

The conversation seemed to die there, fading away as neither of us had much to say. Instead, we just looked at each other and refused to bring up the elephant in the room again. I knew we would have to talk about it at some point, but I didn't expect it to be this hard. It would have been a nobler thing to bring it up myself and get it out the way, but I couldn't do anything but lie there helplessly.

If I had my way, I would have just disappeared into nothing or teleported out the room, but I didn't have the luxury of magic like my Equestrian counterpart. Instead, I was trapped in the room with Sunset, and she knew. Oh gosh, she knew. She knew. My stomach lurched in horror at the full realization.

If anything, I just wanted Sunset to stop looking at me.

"How about them Clydesdales?" I asked, breaking the silence.

Sunset scoffed. "Twilight..."

"I know," I said. "I'm sorry."

She looked down at her lap, sighing as she kneaded her hands into her legs. "Remember what I told you back at Pinkie's party?"

I shook my head.

"I said something about confidence," Sunset continued. "Do you remember that?"

The word "confidence" immediately rang a bell. It would have been easy to lie and shake my head again, but I couldn't bring myself to.

Sunset sighed, most likely due to the one-sided conversation, "'A little confidence goes a long way,' remember?"

"Yes," I forced out.

The silence made itself known again. Most of it could be pointed in my direction. My one-word answers were the obvious cause of the dead conversation. For one minute at the very least, I wanted to know what was going on in Sunset's head. Then I would be able to navigate through this mental minefield.

It would have made things easier if I could just communicate. Instead, shrinking away from confrontation seemed like the only acceptable course of action.

"All you had to do was ask," she spoke up.

"What?"

"You heard me," Sunset called out.

She wasn't wrong. I knew exactly what she meant. All of this was my fault.

Sunset laughed. It was quiet, but it was a laugh nonetheless. The sudden shift in tone was enough to get me to join in. For once in the past few days, I got a chance to just lie down and reflect on what I have been doing for the past two weeks.

"You're not mad?" I asked, already preemptively flinching.

"Of course not. I should have expected some complicated plan from you. Just please tell me this is the worst of it," Sunset pleaded lightly. "I don't even want to know if you stole a lock of my hair or anything."

"Nothing like that!" I protested. Though it was better to conceal the rest of the thesis paper. The last thing I wanted was for Sunset to stumble onto the rest of The Sunlight Project and to be scared away. "I just wanted to increase the odds of you saying yes."

"Well, it's a solid hypothesis," Sunset admitted. "Though the execution... not so much."

"I'll have to mention the extraneous circumstances in the error analysis," I commented, earning another laugh. "So does that mean—"

"No," Sunset answered curtly. "At least, not yet. I don't know if it's the adrenaline talking, but I'm willing to just sit on the idea for a couple of days and give you a few weeks to heal up before I make a decision."

"That's fair," I conceded. "I did nearly kill the both of us."

"There's that too," Sunset said. "Although, you're the one who took the most damage... so karma, I guess?"

“Since I'm here, I might as well be the first to sign your cast."

Without saying much else, she bent over and pulled a marker from my backpack. Smirking, she made her way to the foot of the hospital bed and began writing onto the cast. From what I could tell, her writing took up most of the sole, yet it was just out of my field of view. Holding back a chuckle, she turned to face me.

"I can't see what you wrote." I complained, leaning over to see what was on it.

"You're not supposed to," she said coyly. "Yet. I gotta go. The rest of the girls are here too, and your parents are coming in about half an hour, by the way."

As I watched her open the door, I impulsively yelled, "Wait!"

She stopped at the door, "Yes?"

Unable to stop myself, I began to talk without thinking.

"Can you at least tell me what you wrote? No specifics."

Chuckling, she answered, "Just a little note... and my phone number."

"When can I ask you out... for real this time?"

That felt amazing to just ask without any fear.

"I dunno," Sunset falsely droned before her face turned to a devilish grin. "Maybe text me and find out."

With that, she disappeared behind the door. Seconds later, most likely by Sunset's instruction, the rest of my friends flooded the room.

"Twi? Are ya okay, sugarcube?"

"Darling, we came as soon as we heard."

"You really goofed up, egghead."

"That's a real cool cast, Twilight! Can I sign it next?"

"Do you need anything? I can ask a nurse to bring you a better pillow."

"Hi, girls," I croaked, slumping back into my cot. "Yeah, I messed up, but it's all fine, I think."

I had no idea what to think. Luckily, all I had to do was just lie down and wait for my parents to check me out.

"Did you score a date with Sunset?" Rainbow asked.

"I honestly don't know."

"Well, the doctor said that you'll be out of the cast in about a month." Rarity spoke up, delivering a much needed bit of news. "It's only a small fracture, apparently."

"That's good, at least." I paused for a second, not really knowing what to say. "So... would any of you care to sign my cast?"

There was a chorus of approval after my suggestion. One by one, the group all took turns writing down their names on the cast with some making more elaborate signatures than others.

"Hey, egghead." Rainbow called, "Sunset Shimmer left you a little parting note."

"I know," I responded. "Does it say anything?"

"It says, 'Don't open 'til Hearth's Warming,'" Pinkie Pie said before erupting into a giggling fit.

"Very funny," I said. "Seriously."

"We are being serious," Fluttershy defended. "That's when the doctor said you can get it removed, right?"

Of course I had to fall for a girl that had a sense of humor.

"She wrote her phone number on there, too," Applejack spoke up. "Want us to read you that?"

I thought about it for a few seconds before remembering the conversation I had with Sunset Shimmer.

"No thanks," I answered. "I can wait."

Author's Note:

Oh jeez, it's over. I'm actually really bummed.

But do you know what's the best part of finishing a fanfic? Getting to read other people's stories that you put off starting until you finished.

I'm also going to take a nap.

Comments ( 54 )

You guys wouldn't believe how much self control it took to not include the word "Sunpai" anywhere in the story.

Well done, my good creature of unspecified gender. Enjoy your various fics to read. This confrontation scene was short, but didn't need anything else. I'll be honest. This wasn't "Fractured Sunlight" or anything, but it was pretty great. I look forward to more.

JMP

This was a blast. Short, sweet, and fluffy. Needed a nice lighthearted Twi x Sunset fic after the heaviness of the later chapters of the recently finished Long Road to Friendship and Fractured Sunlight. Any other ship fics in the future, cus this was really funny.

6961617 Um thanks? I wasn't trying to emulate Fractured Sunlight, so I'm not sure how to take that. I'm just here to tell horse jokes, not make a 100k+ word drama. Though I respect the hell out of anyone who's committed to writing a novel's worth of fanfiction.

Although, fun fact: "Fractured Sunlight" was the first story in my read it later list I actually began to read after I finished my story.

6961649 I just meant that it wasn't as much a masterpiece (although commendable in itself). Although for one to compare the two at all is a good thing. I know your words were rather comical in nature, but felt that some it was a significant measure given when it was completed. (also, if you like the author, read his other story "The Heart of an Author", and see if you can solve it. Be prepared for suffering?)

No confirmed Sunlight, but heavily implied. So I guess I'm happy. And I had fun. This was a good read, well done.

6961710 Oh man the Sunlight train ain't gonna stop anytime soon. This is just the beginning. it took so much self control to leave it like this for the ending I felt was right, but I'm already itching to take the controls of the train again.

You ain't heard the last of me. I promise you that, buddy.

6961667 Fair, although it would kinda suck for me to reach my peak in writing in high school. I'd rather float around the above average level for a while.

6961704
33.media.tumblr.com/787f9638746795cdfe8b47ec24f61e55/tumblr_inline_nxvl0tObOE1r21gjj_500.gif

6961734 I can relate. I have another 4000 words to do to finish my debut on here, but I wouldn't want to see that as my masterpiece. You write well, and I'll try to draw inspiration from your horsewords.

And the end has come!!! :raritycry: This was an amazing read from start to finish. I'm sure months/years from now I'll reread it again and again. I'm so glad I was here while it was being updated. It kept me on my seat and was a wonderful enjoyment to my day.
But seriously, OMFG TWI you're such a dork. She's too cute. The stomach accident I should have seen coming and just did not. lol It was bitter sweet. And so was the bike accident. I defiantly didn't think it would end up like that!! But you did a great job with the story line. Her being a bamf at carnival games was a welcome surprise! :ajsmug: She is so cool, she doesn't even know how much.
I'm so glad you're not done as a writer with this ship. I want to read MUCH MORE from you about Sunlight!! Your style of writing and humor is wonderful. :twilightsmile:

Wow, Twi had some really bad luck here. Worthy of a voodoo curse.

Anyways, the ending scenario was well-choosen. Aside from leaving a couple of threads to resolve between our leading ladies, which I figure is something the sequel will resolve. Might take a while still to get them together like this.

That said, the final two chapters felt a bit quick on the pacing to me. Some more bonding between Twi and Sunny, maybe.

But all in all, this was a worthwhile story. Kinda pointless so many people are comparing it to Fractured Sunlight (which I personally did not care for after a few chapters). Thank you for all your work, and I look forward to the announced sequel!

I like this ending. It tastes like it's a part of something bigger and I like that taste. :pinkiehappy:

6961726

>gain Albinocorn approval on Sunlight story
>swell with praise

Good job on this! Looking forward to more Sunlight!

Short and sweet, just as I like my shipping fics.


6961726

So... Sequel confirmed?

6961704 Eh, potato/tomato :derpytongue2: one must rear in order to prance

It was a funny little ending (even if I was wincing in empathy half the time). Twilight would, inevitably make a mess of it out of sheer nervous energy, wouldn't she? I also wonder if Sunset may be a little afraid of how fragile she seems (vertigo and penchant for neurotic breakdowns being obvious symptoms).

To quote Maggie from the end of the Simpsons movie.. Sequel? Nice story. :twilightsmile:

Aw, reminds me of my last crush...without the accident part. It didn't end happily ever after-y, but we at least talked it out and stayed friends. Good ending! Hopeful but also indefinite.

Sequel! There must be a sequel to this!!!!

You must include an epilogue which shows what that cast said. I must know exactly what Sunset wrote. Please? :pinkiehappy:

Cute ending. This was a fun ride that frankly didn't end nearly as horribly as I thought it would, but I have to admit I'm a little sad it's over. Reading this was, quite frankly, fun, and if I could wipe my memory of it and read it again, I certainly would.

Still, this was a rare privilege to read a fairly long, nice and complete story. I can't wait to see more from you, if this is any indication of what you can write.

6968798 Probably something along the lines "Don't open 'til Hearth's Warming Call Me (555-5555), Sunset."

6965410 6961900 6962277 6962374 I have a sequel planned that I'll start sometime soon, so yes, sequel inbound. It's called The Sunlight Theory if any of you are wondering.

6970327 that is a good name for it. I'll be watching for it.

when is the sequel

6970613 Sometime between tomorrow and the end of 2079. I just started the writing process today, but I'm going to wait until I have a solid stockpile of chapters before I begin posting.

6974509

LOL i hope there will be a sequel thoe

I dont even like EQG that much but damn it all if this isnt my favorite ship

6970327

Sequel inbound?

Well, guess it's time to follow you then, after I add this story to my "Masterpieces" shelf.

Also, while mentioning Twi's parents in this chapter: "your", not " you're ".

I find myself wondering what kind of damage was done to Sunset's bIke. You'd think if they crashed bad enough that Twilight ended up with a broken leg it might be worth mentioning. :derpyderp1:

Unsolicited opinion incoming

Okay, for some reason this ending depressed the hell out of me. It was a good story AND a good ending though. Just very depressing that all poor sci-twi got for her troubles was a "no" with a "maybe, I'll think on it." tagged on.

On the other hand, her behavior and methods shouldn't have earned her the girl either. And along with that, the fic seems to deliberately build up Sunset as an unobtainable love interest seeing that there is actually very little interaction between our purple protagonist and the subject of her obsession.

Now I can't decide if this was a brilliantly crafted setup for an emotionally satisfying resolution in the sequel, or if it was a well-written but ultimately pointless and depressing depiction of a pity-party.

Either case makes you damn good writer and I'll be sure to read the sequel.

7015577 I wrote this story to exploiit Twilight's fatal flaw of poor social skills. Ultimately, I've been setting up a failure so Sci-Twi learns a lesson in communication. I also couldn't really accept the idea of Sci-Twi getting the yes so easily after all that. She's gotta work for it in the right, constructive sort of way.

I think the ending is kind of both. It's meant to stand alone as a comedic parable about voicing feelings for others (This is why literally everyone else tells Twilight to just ask Sunset out). Of course, if you're anything like her, it's never that simple.

The sequel I have planned will definitely resolve these things that I've purposefully kept unanswered. Don't worry about your opinion. You're perfectly justified in feeling that way.

This story gave me a happy place.

I would have been fine with Sunset saying "no," but your ending is probably the safest.

Wish that more ship fics had pacing like this one.

Best of luck with the sequel. People are looking forward to it. Seriously.

7046989 Not gonna lie. I kinda wanted Sunset to say no as well. It was what I originally intended, but the more I wrote this story, the more I had fun with it. I found myself wanting a backdoor to write more about the two in this style and voice. Plus, I just had so many ideas for Sunlight related shenanigans that I felt like I needed to keep going. Hell, writing this story brought me back into the fandom.

I'm glad I was able to give you some joy with this. Hopefully I can do the same with the sequel.

This strangely reminds me of my high school experience's ...:rainbowderp:

It was amazing how much this showed SciTwi's personality. I also liked the pacing. Since everyone seems to compare these, I'll say that this made me like it more than Fractured Sunlight.

Finally got this off my RL list. Fun, cute story. Very adorkable Twilight. I'll get to the sequel eventually, though might wait for it to be finished first.

Keep up the good work!

what about a human sunset/twilight where twilight share her soul with sunset, becase something took sunset soul

I like shipping Sci Twi x Sunset Shimmer this makes my day awesome! :ajsmug:

7412855 You just haven't tasted the good stuff yet, hun.

Holy smokes, this is honestly one of the best fics I have read on this site to date. I can't wait to get to the sequel.

Keep up the good work.

So, apparently I've already read this. Except that I don't remember doing so, and it isn't on any of my bookshelves, which is very unusual.

So here I am, reading it again, for the first time?

As an aggressive Sunlight shipper, I can't say I could do this better. Won't stop me from trying, mind you, but just know that you did a good thing. It's been a while since I binged a story like I just did. Well done, friend.

This was a brilliant read. I really enjoyed it.

Magnificent dorkery. And yeah, trying to psychologically and chemically manipulate your crush into asking you out so you don't have to isn't going to result in an immediate happily ever after. Funny how that works.

In any case, excellently presented Sciset with some very well-done Shadowbolts as a bonus. Thank you for it.

I finally got around to reading this story, and if I didn't have to write a test in a couple of hours, I'd sit down and read the sequel in one go, because this was great!

10940786
I could say many things about it... But instead I'll say something else: I'm Italian and live in Italy, and in high school went to a Catholic school... That, due issues with students falsifying their grades (in Italian six and seven are "sei" and "sette", and since on the report card they were written in full uppercase it was easy to change "SEI" into "SETTE"), the staff went and started writing the grades in Latin, not caring at all about the jokes of having "SEX" (Latin for "six") written on a report card.

"I should be the one asking you that." She pointed at my foot, which I just now noticed had a white cast wrapped around the ankle.

Jeez, they both sure must of gotten quite hurt from falling off of the motorcycle when it went downhill. :fluttercry:

"All you had to do was ask," she spoke up.

Should of listened to your friends from the start. :ajsmug:

"No," Sunset answered curtly. "At least, not yet. I don't know if it's the adrenaline talking, but I'm willing to just sit on the idea for a couple of days and give you a few weeks to heal up before I make a decision."

At first I was gonna say something about this but if that means they'll still give the dating relationship a try in the sequel then that's fine by me. :scootangel:

"I dunno," Sunset falsely droned before her face turned to a devilish grin. "Maybe text me and find out."

But best to wait for that leg to heal first twilight. 😏

"Well, the doctor said that you'll be out of the cast in about a month." Rarity spoke up, delivering a much needed bit of news. "It's only a small fracture, apparently."

A fracture huh, I remember when I suffered one myself but in my left arm instead of my leg, which does have a scar on it from a rare foot infection I survived that almost killed me.


Ngl, this story was better than I thought it would be and I'm glad I finally read it, and it definitely desevers a 10/10. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment