• Published 16th Dec 2015
  • 957 Views, 9 Comments

I'm Sorry it had to Come to This - Bright Keys



Rainbow Dash recently finished her training to be the captain of the guard in the rapidly developing town of Ponyville. Things are peaceful in the small city, at least until a den of illegal Changelings are discovered.

  • ...
0
 9
 957

Return

It was a bright sunny day in Ponyville. The sky was clear, aside from the odd cloud that was scheduled to be spared from the scrutinizing gaze of the pegasi. The train station was abuzz with purple clad guards, casually interacting as they awaited for the train to arrive from Canterlot. Now that Twilight Sparkle was a princess with her own palace, along with the appearance of a changeling at a wedding, sparked a vote for Ponyville to receive its own guard force. The case took months to go through, in the meantime the small town had expanded, and was now a borderline city. Despite this, life was still sleepy and slow in Ponyville, and while there was still situations the guards had to dissolve, it was mostly mediating petty disputes in the market. Work was slow in Ponyville, meaning that most of the guards were given permission to greet their new leader.

The dull roar the guards were creating died down as the sounds of an engine broke the crisp Autumn air. The guards stood at attention by the time the train screeched to a halt, their breath visible in the cold morning air. A final puff marked the train stopping, and four guards filed out, taking their positions as the Captain of the Guard walked out of the train. She stopped in front of the line of soldiers who had assembled themselves, staring them down with her purple-red eyes. At one point those eyes held a wild spark, a desire for the next big thrill, but as she glared analytically at the guards, it was clear that the Rainbow Dash before them was not the same Rainbow Dash who was known for her arrogance and slothfulness.

“What is our goal?” She asked after a minute.

“To protect the peace of Ponyville.” The guards answered in unison.

“And will we use violence as a first response?”

“No ma’am. We will talk through issues, and safely apprehend those who do not cooperate.”

“How many are you?”

“Thirty, minus the four you brought with you.” One guard responded.

“That's funny, I only count twenty-five.” Rainbow Dash stated, starting to pace up and down the line as the guards she arrived with informed the train it could leave.

“Five of us volunteered to patrol while we greeted you.” Another reported.

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by one of her guards who walked quickly up to her and whispered in her ear.

“Let them in.” She replied to the guard, who scurried off once more.

“Introducing to the station, visitors to greet the Captain.” There was a pause as two guards motioned five ponies to enter one at a time.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle, princess of friendship and guardian of Ponyville. Rarity, the seamstress. Fluttershy, animal caretaker. Pinkie Pie, baker. Applejack, apple farmer.” The five ponies entered as they were introduced, smiles on their faces as they greeted their old friend. Rainbow Dash looked at the guards.

“You are dismissed. Tell those five guards I would like to meet with them later.” The guards stated an affirmation and filed out of the train station, greeting the visitors as they passed.

“It’s so good to see you again Rainbow!” Rarity piped up after a while.

“Yeah. It’s hard to believe it’s been a year already.” Rainbow Dash replied, loosening her stance a little. A gaze from one of the four guards who had accompanied her in training watched her carefully. They were her personal elite guards, and they would follow her everywhere unless she told them otherwise, which she did.

“How about you four take the rest of the day off. I’m with my friends, and can take care of myself. The other twenty-five guards can take care of the well-being of Ponyville.” The guards nodded and filed out.

“Ponyville’s changed a lot since you left. New buildings and homes have been going up left and right.” Twilight said, stepping forward a bit.

“Sweet Apple Acres have gotten a little crowded because of this. We’re hoping to buy some property well out of the expansion zone.” Applejack added.

“Ohmygosh! ItoldmyselfI’dbeascalmaspossiblewhenyoucamebackbutIcan’thold itinanymoreImissedyousomuchRainbowDashandIcan’twaittostartworkingonyourwelcomehomeparty!” Pinkie Pie suddenly blurted out.

“It’s good to see you too Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow Dash said with a bit of a chuckle, “in fact, I missed all of you. Training to be the captain of Ponyville’s guard force took longer and was more difficult than I expected.” Indeed the year that Rainbow Dash had been gone had probably been the toughest year of her life. Sunup to sundown she was out fighting and exercising, as well as taking classes on tactics and how to take the diplomatic approach in nearly any situation (a class that Twilight insisted all guards to enter her service take). Despite this, Rainbow Dash had put on quite a bit of muscle just in case talking didn’t work out. This was the first thing Rarity had noticed when Rainbow had stepped off the train in her armor, and she furrowed her brow as she said,

“I’m afraid I’ll need to take new measurements the next time you’re available.” She quickly caught herself. “I’m so glad that the blacksmiths in Canterlot were able to craft the armor so precise to my designs, and that it looks so well on you.”
“If you all don’t mind, I’d like to see what’s changed about Ponyville in the year I’ve been gone.” Rainbow Dash stated, gesturing to the doors behind them.

“Of course.” Twilight Sparkle said with a smile. Rainbow Dash walked past her friends and opened the doors of the station, gazing out at the town. The core hadn’t changed one bit, but it was just that: Ponyville Core. It wasn’t hard to look out in any direction and see the buildings become taller and more “modern,” with the occasional framework being built. Equally different were the ponies. There were so many that Rainbow didn’t recognize. A blue maned yellow stallion, a pink maned purple mare. The changelings that happily tagged along with the two as if they were in love.

Author's Note:

My new solo story!