• Published 18th Dec 2015
  • 1,463 Views, 19 Comments

Batmare: Arkham Asylum - TheDarkMare16



Batmare dropped the dangerous Mane-iac in Arkham Asylum but Mane-iac set Batmare up and unleashed a set of surprises for our Dark Mare. Batmare must find Mane-iac in and out of the enormous asylum before Mane-iac wins by unleashing voracious beasts.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,463

Chapter 23: The Old Sewers

“I’m going after her. She was heading to the Mansion with Cash. I’m going up to her via the catacombs,” I replied, switching off the communicator. I pulled out my Batclaw and grabbed an empty crate leading to an exit of the Batcave. I pulled the crate and the crate pile dropped into the depths below. I jumped to the ledge and galloped through the walkway out of the Batcave.

The door opened automatically when I approached it and it leads me out on a narrow grassy ridge above a murky drop below. The treacherously narrow ridge is the only walking ground I spotted a grate above me that can lead in the old sewers. I used my Batclaw to grab the grate and pulled the wire until the grate is out of the grate. I grapple up the ventilation duct and climbed out of the duct and in the Old Sewers.

In the Old Sewers, two small stairs lead up to another section of the sewage purification system. Large pipes are mounted the walls of the sewer churning with the liquid in the pipes heading towards its destination for purification or ejection. The very ground itself is a little soppy with all the washed water combined with the waste.

The Sewer itself is shaped like with metal rods, titanium support beams and sewage pipes in an arc-like architecture style. Lights brightened the entire area for access for those who work in the sewers. At the end of the area, a miniature waterfall cascades from the wall on the other side of the area. The water forms a small yet extremely shallow river of purified water and the river torrents into a waterfall into the Equestrian Bay several meters below the seemingly bottomless pit. On the other side of the huge waterfall over the ledge, a circular opening of the wall faced the waterfall. In the opening, a green trophy is present but the reach of the opening and the ledge is too long for a jump.

The Sewers reeks slightly of odorous waste of everypony in the asylum but I ignored the putrid odor and heard a rough voice talking to somepony else. I am standing behind an Earth pony convict, who is talking on a radio and he sounds worried.

“Sorry, boss. It took a little longer to…find him than you figured it would,” the thug apologized shakenly.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’ll try to be more precise in time next time I’m planning an island takeover!” Mane-iac barked over the radio. The thug looks frightened over the comment, he and the all of Mane-iac’s crew does not like Mane-iac angry, it’s terrifying to them. I stood behind him without of so much of a rustle to hear the conversation.

“Hey, I didn’t mean—“the thug replied back, trying to reform of his earlier remarks before I came in.

“Criticism I can take, I mean, I’m not perfect,” Mane-iac interrupted with a slight rueful tone.

“Well, come to think of it, I’m pretty close to perfect, aren’t I? Now, where was I? Oh yes: criticism from a worm like you, a worm who is only crawling around free because I arranged to open his cell, it something I will not tolerate,” Mane-iac added and stated angrily.

“I-I’m sorry, boss. I didn’t mean it like that, please!” the thug pleaded, sounding like he is on the verge of tears.

“Well, seeing how you’re apologetic, I’ll just have someone drive over to your house and break your wife’s legs,” Mane-iac said, ignoring the apology, speaking the cold and heartless threat. Knowing Mane-iac, every threat is a promise.

“But, Mane-iac!” the thug cried out, alarmed and panicked over the threat over the radio. I silently listened to the conversation and shook my head in anger. I hated the thugs but his relatives that are involved in Mane-iac’s words are some things I despise so intolerably.

“You got a problem with my generous nature?” Mane-iac asked lowly and chillingly.

“Err---no, um…I guess not, thanks,” the thug thanked uncertainly.

Not wanting to hear the creep’s filth anymore, I grabbed the thug’s head and kicked his legs, silencing his muffled screams until he is sleeping. The radio dropped in the water but it continues to broadcast.

“You there? Calling all cars, calling all cars! Wonder who get you, Croc or the Bat? Croc, old boy, are you there? No? Pity.” Mane-iac called out to no pony in particular but forgotten about her ranting to the thug and switched off. I looked over to another cryptic trapezoid on the far end of the area. Knowing it’s another Chronicle of Arkham, I used my Environmental Analysis to decipher the inscriptions and listen to the translated message.

"The island changed little over the years. Its reputation was in tatters and I vowed to fix it. As the buildings were rebuilt, I saw the future: a bright, wonderful future."

I took mental notes of the time setting of the brief message. The message states that Amadeus vowed himself to rebuild the reputation of Arkham Asylum and Manehattan City. I walk up the small stairs to walk to another section of the sewers where the pipes are leading to the main sewers or the purification system on the other pathway. I hid behind an adjacent wall where I heard voices on the other side.

“Why are we the ones trying to open it? This ain’t even the main door. And if we even get it open, we don’t what’ll do,” a thug asked reluctantly.

“I ain’t going near it, do you even—“. The conversation was cut short by a certain batarang hit his head, knocking him down, alarming the other four thugs.

“She’s here!” a thug cried out. Before they ready themselves for combat, I used my quickfire Batclaw to grab to one of the thugs and pulled him towards me. I punched him three times and countered a punch from another thug by grasping his hoof and hitting him with my elbow.

I flew over to a third thug that is trying to pry an air conditioner from the wall loose by kicking him. I threw my right hoof to the fourth thug that is standing up and kicked another one that has gotten up. I grabbed one thug’s arm and threw him on the ground but I still have hold of his arm and punched his wrist, breaking it. He screamed in torment and fell quiet.

I continue to land a series of punches and kicks on the last three thugs and picked up one and threw him at a wall. I threw a quickfire batarang at one thug, keeping him down. I kicked two thugs at once and knocked out one with a Ground Takedown. I knocked out another one with a blow on the top of his head with my elbow. I threw a heavy punch on the second thug in the abdomen, knocking him out cold. I threw a roundhouse on the last thug was trying to charge at me futilely. I stretched my neck after another effortless and flawless performance.

After finishing the thugs, I walk down the walkway and approach a door on the right. A sign is posted on the wall next to the door. The sign has skull and crossbones and the words read out: DANGER: KEEP OUT. The light above the door flickered on and off. There is a small window on the door that can let me see through the other side of the door.

I pushed the door to open it but the door wouldn’t budge. I back up to pry it again but as I peer through the glass window of the door, I spotted nothing but a torrent of water and lights shining from the very far left of a sewer junction. I heard rumbling on the other side, meaning something is in the sewers.

A gigantic beast roared furiously at me, chains rattling and the electric collar illuminating the entrance slightly. The beast threw an enormous fist at the door, only cracking the window. The sudden jump from the beast did not even make me flinch, just irritated. I know who and what that is: the monster with the disease that turned him into that monstrosity, affecting his physique, psyche and height. The 11 feet tall beast glared at me with its yellow predatory eyes, filled with bloodlust, hunger and wrath. The jagged teeth and drooling of the mouth only makes it more dangerous and animalistic than ever. Garble, now colloquially known as Killer Croc, roared at me with ferocity.

“I will find you; rip your flesh like paper!” The beast snarled and trudged away into the murky background. I turned around from the door, hoping that I’ll come up against him, but something tells me I will encounter him eventually. I looked at another dead casualty, a doctor from the Medical Facility. I shook my head that I failed to save another life but I spotted another reel on the floor. I picked up the tape and recorded the Interview Tape, listening to who or whatever the psychiatrist at Arkham is interviewing.

“Is he here yet?” Warden Sharp asked.

“He, you’re kidding me right? That thing is not a pony,” another voice retorted questioningly. The voice is Aaron Cash by his accent.
In the tape, I heard growling and snarling as the thing is being set for an interview, instantly knowing who is being interviewed.

“My Celestia!” Sharp exclaimed at the incoming patient.

“Hello, my name is Doctor Gretchen Whistler, do you understand me?” the elderly doctor asked contemplatively.

“Yeah, I hear you, whore. So, when’s dinner…I’m getting hungry!” the voice snarled in reply. The tape ended.

I figured I will find an Interview Tape that will have the beast as the patient. I looked up at a grate and spotted another green question mark in it. I use my Batclaw to pull the grate off and climbed in a ventilation duct to pick up the trophy. Luckily, I don’t hear haughty remarks from Trixie. I climbed down and walk down the left side of the hallway. I heard a pickup from my earpiece communicator.

“I’ve been digging deeper into Dr. Evergreen. According to her bank records, there’ve been multiple payments, starting last April not two months ago, and then nothing. The payments came from a company owned by a Mrs. Purple Flower,” Oracle stated.

“One of Mane-iac’s oldest aliases; so, Mane-iac pays Dr. Evergreen to create her army and then all of a sudden she stops. Doesn’t make any sense,” I replied and thought to myself. I switched off from the communicator and paused at a nearby wall. I pulled out my Explosive Gel and sprayed the wall and pressed the button. The wall exploded with controlled force and I spotted another green question mark lying on the ground. I picked up the question mark.

“Can you hear that, Detective? It’s the sound of me clapping at your success. Aww, you can’t? That’s because an idiot would have found that trophy,” Trixie commented arrogantly. I sighed of her tedious and irking remarks and threw batarangs at some chattering teeth making the tiresome noises. I walk towards the door and opened it, with it creaking. I entered the Main Sewer Junction, where the water and waste of the sewers are being sent up to a purification system in this area.

The Main Sewer Junction is an extremely unstable area because of the deadly drop if I took one misstep. I scanned the area, taking in the environmental knowledge of the area. The junction itself is a dilapidated an abandoned area with unstable columns and pillars with bricks and mortar falling apart. I spotted a small waterfall at the very end of the junction, spotting another upper level of the junction. Moss and fern and shrubbery had overgrown the entire junction, giving it a serene yet dangerous vibe. A thick mist hangs over the drop, giving it an even deathly appearance of the drop.

I looked at the columns and pathways with a thought for me to go through the crumbling junction without falling or slipping without the slightest bit of distraction. I spotted a ridge and an unused aqueduct above me on the top layer of the junction. The aqueduct can be use gain access above the stability of the bricks, besides the point that it is one of the very stable surroundings of the area. I spotted the junction to the purification system of the sewer system above me, far above the aqueduct. The entrance is blocked off by a huge wall, which I cannot access even with my Explosive Gel and Batclaw.

I look over and spotted old railings and broken pieces of the walkway that is built above the precarious drop. The railings are adjoined with the tall pillars and columns that are ready to crumble if it continues to rot by the misty vapor and humidity of the secluded area. Luckily, there are a few lights shining in the dark area, giving me a more clarity of the room but I could be able to use Detective Vision to search for anything particular in the area. I continue to look around the area to note my surroundings until I heard my communicator switched on.

“Hey, this is weird. The payments to Dr. Evergreen’s account didn’t stop exactly, they were declined. Dr. Evergreen’s put a block on her account,” Oracle added.

‘Sounds like she had a change of heart, she tried to block her payments. Mane-iac doesn’t like it when her partners try to back out,” I said.

“So she decided to get herself back in Arkham, find her formula and create the army herself,” Oracle finished.

“Exactly,” I replied. I turned off my communicator and walk up to a broken opening of a column. I pulled out my Grappling Gun to grapple to the top layer of the junction but as the hook is attached to a segment, the bricks and cement crumbled from the spot. I pulled my Grappling Gun hook and put it back in my belt.

“This area is falling apart; it’s not safe to use the grapple. I need to climb up…the old fashioned way.”

I climbed up the opening of the pillar and jumped to a railing to climb on the broken segment of the walkway. Rusty and unstable but it can balance my weight. I continue to trudge along the broken walkways when I heard my communicator switched on as I climbed through the junction.

“I’ve hacked into her email accounts, two mails stand out. The first is a resignation letter dated last week, sounds like she’s trying to get away,” Oracle said, telling me the first email of the account as I continue to climb up on broken walkways.

“And the second?” I asked.

“A message from Mane-iac, well, Purple Flowers. It’s a long thread and…she’s begging to stop the experiment and it’s too dangerous, she’s not listening. Random threats to her family and a couple of bad jokes…a picture of a dead baby and a threat,” Oracle replied and said, not surprised that Mane-iac will threaten Evergreen’s family.

“Go on,” I said as I jumped from a ledge to another walkway that is a fallen column with some broken and missing concrete blocks and bricks but its stable enough for me to walk on. I walk on the pillar like a bridge to reach the upper level of the junction.

“She says, I’m coming for you, I want what I paid for. And then…a joke about wheelchairs, lovely. And a drawing of some kind of donkey,” Oracle said, saying Mane-iac’s email, cynical of the wheelchair jokes.

“No wonder why she’s so scared. I’m coming up to the surface, I’ll find her,” I said. The communicator switched off automatically as I shimmy on a ledge and climbed up in an opening of another column and spotted another green question mark.

“Thank Celestia, I thought you’ll never find it,” Trixie exclaimed sardonically.

Not finished in this area, I climbed down to another section of the collapsed columns and jumped in between the opening of a column and above the ceiling of the second platform above. I turned on my Detective Vision and spotted a green dot on the column far ahead of me and the invisibly painted question mark and aligned them to solve another hidden riddle. Like last time, there were no witty or arrogant remarks from the egotistical pony.

I jumped across from the area and back on the broken column and shimmied back into the track so I can leave the crumbling area. I jumped from the ledge and back on the broken segment of the column where I found a trophy.
I climbed down from the opening and landed on the ground. I jumped to another platform and walk up another fallen column, which is at an angle. I climbed up and walk on a segment between the drop and another entrance of the Junction. I galloped and climbed on the walkway and destroyed three faux blabbermouths and walk through a short hallway and opened the door to leave the junction.

I entered the Surface Access, an area of the sewers that’ll lead me into Arkham North. I looked at some crates and spotted another reel with a sticky note on it. I picked up the tape to hear the recording.

“Tape Patients Session 2: Patient name, Garble Jones aka Killer Croc,” the elderly psychiatrist announced before starting the session.

“So, this is the part where you try to reason with me, find out why I did it, doc?” the beast asked mordantly.

“We’re here to help you, Mr. Jones,” Whistler replied.

“So, you got a cure for me then, doc? Can you make me…normal?” Killer Croc asked.

“Normal is a poor choice of words, no pony is really normal,” Whistler replied.

“Figured as much. So, how about this, doc? You let me go now and I won’t eat you,” the mutated dragon asked for a small deal.

“You don’t really eat ponies, it’s just an urban myth,” Whistler said.

“Really, keep believing that, doc,” the thing replied and cackled sickly and darkly before the tape switched off.

I took note of the tape and looked through a small hallway littered with cobwebs but it is cleaner than the other areas I’ve been in.
I walk up the stairs that leads to a wall that is the only barricade between me and outside access. I sprayed the wall with Explosive Gel and the wall exploded. The rubble fell in a deep and treacherous drop from the exit and I’m standing. I galloped and climbed on the ledge and stood up at the door. I opened the door to leave the caves and sewers so I could find Dr. Evergreen and her formula before Mane-iac does.