• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 10,705 Views, 428 Comments

The Days Passed - SilverEyedWolf



A poor break-up sends Spike to the most understanding of the Six. She sends him to bed.

  • ...
24
 428
 10,705

PreviousChapters Next
The Storybook Ending, 3/3

Spike snorted himself awake, eyes barely squinting open as he looked around the room.

"Mhrbuhg?" he asked.

The was another snort before a hoof rose out of the darkness and somepony placed it on his snout.

"She's crying," a soft voice floated up, out of the midnight darkness. "Go make sure she didn't have another nightmare, please?"

Spike murmured something that wasn't words before he crawled out of the bed, crawling over to the door like a monitor lizard before he used his forelimbs to press himself against the wood. pushing with his back legs, he eventually rose into a stand, blinking another moment before opening the door and walking down the hallway.

Cracking the door, he pushed his snout between the wood of it and the frame, asking, "Yuhokahtbit?"

He smiled when he heard a watery chortling. "You suck at nighttime, daddy."

Yawning, he opened the door further with a yawn. "I think that's why your mom likes sending me," he muttered, looking around the room at the pale green walls with blue accents. A large chest at the foot of a thin bed held her 'treasures', and a wardrobe across the room held a scant few clothes she cared for.

Moving into the room he closed the door softly, padding across the carpet and kneeling beside the bed. Reaching out, her cupped her pale yellow cheek, running his thumb over her short fur as he looked into her turquoise eyes.

"What's got your spines in a bunch, tidbit?" he asked softly, using his thumb to wipe at the tear track under her eye.

She sniffled, looking across the room for a moment before whispering, "Daddy, remember when I started going to school, and that nasty pony said those mean things 'bout my back an' tail?"

The muscles in his back tensed. "Did someone say something mean again tidbit?"

She shook her head, her dark emerald mane swinging down into her face until he lifted a paw to tuck back behind her pointed ear. "No daddy, I'm okay so far. But," she said, looking across the room again, "tomorrow's Lavender's first day, right? What if she gets a super mean pony, or the same one comes back and says worse stuff, or-?"

Chuckling, Spike gently pulled the filly to his chest, holding her close as she nuzzled into his chest and used it to wipe her eyes and nose.

"Calla, that's a very sweet thing to be worried about," he murmured, running a paw softly down her back and over her pointed spines that aligned with her vertebrae. "But I think Ms. Cheerilee is ready for it this year. And even if she isn't, then you are. I know you won't take your eyes off your little sister, and with you helping, Lavender will have her best first day of school, ever."

The little filly sniffled again, before nodding. "Yeah. Yeah, I will," she said, with such steel and determination that he had to stifle another chuckle.

"All set then? No cup of water, no need to hit the bathroom?" he asked, looking down into her muzzle.

She scrunched her face up as she thought, before smiling and shaking her head. "I'm alright, daddy. Thanks for helpin' me feel better."

He kissed her forehead and waited for her to lay on her pillow before pulling her blankets back up over her shoulders. Standing, he walked to the other side of the room, where Lavender was laying half on top of her blankets, spread eagle, with her mouth wide open in a steady, see-sawing snore.

Considering the blankets, he sighed before shrugging and giving his other daughter a kiss on her cheek before walking out of the room, closing the door quietly behind himself before he yawned his way back to his bedroom.

He slunk back into the large bed, pushing himself under the blankets with his head at the base of the bed and crawling back into his spot.

"Is she alright?" Fluttershy's soft voice came up from the bed, a foreleg wrapping across his back.

"First day of school jitters, but for Lavender," he murmured, leaning forward and kissing the pegasus as he wrapped his arm around her.

"Was she awake too?" a voice from behind him asked, pulling gently on him with the leg she had around him.

"Nah, she was sleeping as hard as she usually does," he chuckled, flexing his back to rub her chest and tummy gently. "On top of the blankets, spread to the four winds, etcetera."

Rarity chuckled softly, before letting out a sigh and relaxing back into her pillows.

Pulling Fluttershy to his chest, with her giggling, he let himself relax back into his own pillow, and the bunch of them fell back into Luna's realms in each other's embrace.

PreviousChapters Next