• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 10,708 Views, 428 Comments

The Days Passed - SilverEyedWolf



A poor break-up sends Spike to the most understanding of the Six. She sends him to bed.

  • ...
24
 428
 10,708

PreviousChapters Next
Partial Chapter, followed by News

"Oh," Spike said, blinking before he shook his head roughly. "I mean, oh, uhm, hi Tempest- Uhm, Fizzle-." He gulped. "Err, Berrytwist?"

"Any of those works, sir," she said smartly, giving him a nod while retaining her smirk. "Though my soldiers usually stick to Captain Tempest, and my commanders tend towards Captain Berrytwist or Fizzle."

Spike hesitated for a moment, before asking, "Captain Tempest then?"

She laughed, tossing her head back and sitting down in the doorway. Wiping at her eyes, she shook her head. "No Spike, I owe you more than that. Just Tempest, or Fizzle. Fizzlepop if you're feeling figgy."

She chuckled when Spike blushed. "Ah, sorry, not used to being around royals anymore."

"Oh no," Spike said with a smile, "I can appreciate a dirty joke, but that one's closer to the line than I'm used to hearing. Uhm, oh, come... in...?"

He looked over his shoulder and called over his shoulder, "Ladies, this guest is one to stay," before he moved out of the doorway and gestured towards the open kitchen door. He watched Tempest raise one of her eyebrows before she moved in past him, pausing next to him as he shut the door.

Fluttershy popped her head out of the doorway again, glancing at him curiously until she spotted Tempest and froze, squeaking a couple of words.

"Yes ma'am, Tempest Shadow," Tempest said, dipping her head to Fluttershy. "Nice to see you again, Miss Fluttershy."

"Temp-," Spike interrupted himself, frowning, before saying, "Fizzle's here as a part of that training that Celestia wanted me to undergo, to control my draconic side."

"Oh," Fluttershy breathed out, nodding to Spike as Fizzlepop pulled out a notepad and used a charcoal pencil to write something down on it. "Right, sorry. I know it's been years, but I can be kind of jumpy," she said with a small smile.

"I've been briefed as such," Fizzlepop said absently, finishing her note and slipping the charcoal stick back into the loop onto the side of the pad before stowing it. "I know we didn't really interact much before-"

She stopped talking as Rarity poked her head out, around Fluttershy's shoulder.

"Miss Rarity," she said in greeting, her eyebrows scrunching in the middle. "Am I interrupting something?"

"Just lunch, Miss, uhm, Berrytwist," she said, wincing a little as she smiled politely. "I heard from the kitchen that you intend to train our drake? Would you care for some tea or coffee while we talk?"

"Oh, I'll take a coffee," she said, the crease between her eyebrows growing as she let herself be bustled over to the kitchen table.

"Uhm, I wasn't prepared for this to be a conversation," she said, sitting at the last of the chairs around the table. "I came here to talk with Spike and set up a schedule and a place for us to practice. I'm not sure what there is to talk about."

"Oh, we're just curious as to what shape his training will take," Rarity said lightly, filling a kettle from her sink before setting in on the stove-top.

Fizzle's mouth started dipping at the corners. "Well, I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I'm not sure that's anypony's business beyond mine and Spike's," she said, her mouth fulling forming a frown.

Rarity's ears twitched and she opened her mouth around her own frown but paused when Spike straightened up.

"I see you weren't fully briefed on every aspect of me at least," he chuckled. "We're a recently formed group, a herd," he said, gesturing from his chest to Fluttershy and Rarity. "You can speak as openly with them as you would with me," Spike said, frowning before adding, "Maybe not as guard-like, they're ladies."

"Oh, I see," Fizzle said, leaning back and letting the wrinkle between her eyes relax, before one brow quirked up. "Lucky drake. Congratulations."

He smirked through the blush, dipping his head her way.

"If I may pry, has there been a ceremony, or is this...?" she asked, trailing off.

"We're still just dating," Rarity said, pulling a solid mug out of her cabinets and putting a couple of spoonfuls of dark dust into it from a tin. "Dating with intent, I'd like to think," she said with a wink to Fluttershy that made both of them blush slightly, "but just dating right now."

Fizzlepop hummed and nodded, smiling gratefully as Rarity passed her the mug after filling it with steaming water from the kettle.

"Well, if you need security for the event, feel free to call upon me. I've done less for lower nobles on the rung," she said, blowing on her drink and taking a sip.

Rarity giggled, but Tempest blinked when Fluttershy did little more than blush and smile a bit.

"So, to steer us away from that for a moment," Spike said, clearing his throat, "what did you have in mind for me, Fizzle?"

She hummed again, looking Spike over. "From what I've heard, you're able to keep changes localized, like when you forced wings to allow flight from the Empire to Canterlot. We need to dig into how exactly you did that, and find a way for you to have complete control over it. After that, we figure out all the ways you can control the magic innate to you and how you can use them most effectively."

Spike frowned. "Use them effectively for what?" he asked, tone low.

Fizzlepop snorted, sipping her drink.

"Whatever you want to use them for, I assume," she said lightly. "I came here to train you, not enlist you, and have been given no orders otherwise."

Spike narrowed his eyes at her, and she smirked as she narrowed her own back. Rarity glanced between both of them before she rolled her eyes and trotted back over to the table, sitting on the other side from Fluttershy.

After a moment, Spike sighed and relaxed a bit. "Alright, fair. Can I ask who gave you your orders, then?"

"Big Sun herself," Fizzle said, glancing over at Rarity when the mare made a noise. "Ah, Princess Celestia."

"I assumed," Rarity said as she hid her smile behind a hoof. "Code name, or pet name?"

"Both," Spike said with a grin. "But it's too on the nose to use unless the code could either apply to her or the star itself."

Fizzlepop lifted the mug to Spike before taking another sip. Glancing at the mare sitting between herself and the drake, she asked, "Sorry, but do you happen to have any milk?"

Rarity shot Spike a dirty look before saying, "I'm sorry, but we've recently run out," as Spike whistled tunelessly.

"Uh-huh," Fizzle said, smiling gently over at Fluttershy as she giggled. "In-joke, gotcha."

"I made something spicy for lunch," Spike said as he waved his paw through the air. "But, once again, to get us back on track. Training?"

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

They set up a schedule quickly, and Fizzle left the group to settle herself more fully into the room that she'd set up with Twilight in the castle. After lunch the three of them hit the market and stocked up on everything Fluttershy needed for the coming weeks. Rarity then insisted that she come back to the boutique for dinner, cooked by the unicorn this time before the three of them walked to Fluttershy's cabin and helped her put everything away before spending the night in her extra-large bed.

Author's Note:

EDIT - I've decided to do a variety of endings, so you can have a choice of where you want this story to canonically cease. These will be placed back into the story, where they would have gone had they been written at the time. Next one is the last chapter of this. Thanks for the ride. - EDIT

Hey guys. I'm sorry if the title gave some of you an anxiety spike, and I apologize further if you came here expecting or hoping for good news.

To get to the meat of the matter, this story is doing the absolute worst thing it could do; it's dying, slowly. It's overstayed it's welcome, and the chapters as of late are only underlining the problem. The threads of this story have come loose, and the painting on the canvas is starting to appear black from the overuse of paint.

It's become a chore to write, and a chore to read. It was good, and now it's not, and I don't want to drag the corpse any further than I already have. I'm throwing in twists and pieces that only serve to keep you reading, without the bread, the substance, to make it worth reading.

My question to you is, how should I end it? Should I just hit the Canceled tag and move on, should I do a clip show from the future to outline the ending? Should I say nothing more and just clip it from existence? Should I blast half the story and attempt to salvage what was good?

How could I finish this without just stepping on the corpse to piss on the gravestone, eh? I'm twisting in the wind here, mates.

PreviousChapters Next