• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 10,708 Views, 428 Comments

The Days Passed - SilverEyedWolf



A poor break-up sends Spike to the most understanding of the Six. She sends him to bed.

  • ...
24
 428
 10,708

PreviousChapters Next
Waking up in Ponyville

Spike awoke slowly, blinking in dusty sunlight. He yawned and moved to stretch his arms, but found both of them a bit heavier than usual.

He stared at the ceiling for a bit, head buzzing with sleep, before tilting his muzzle towards his left. His lips wrapped in a grin at the sight of his marefriend dozing on her stomach, his forearm under her neck, and her ears tickling his jaw now.

He gently kissed the top of her head before turning to face the other direction, the light smile slipping from his lips as a tangle of conflicted emotions passed through his mind.

Rarity's horn pointed solidly away from him, her back cuddled to his side as she snored lightly. She murmured something in her sleep, her tail flicking against his thigh before coming to rest against her haunches. He flexed his arm a bit and smiled at the feeling of her short chest fluff in his paw.

He sighed and let his head come to rest against his pillow again, playing the last few days through his mind again. He blinked lightly before pushing the thoughts out of his head.

Raising his torso, he slipped his arms from under the mares to his sides out from underneath them as gently as he could, ruffling Fluttershy's mane when she blinked at him before smiling and closing her eyes again. Scratching his neck and settling the spines along his neck, he slipped off the end of the bed and headed into the kitchen.

He blinked at the pony spread eagle on his dining table, her multicolored locks drifting as she snoozed quietly. Hearing a grunt, he looked under his table and found her marefriend, face-down on the floor with her hat resting on the back of her head.

Taking a moment to look around, he found Twilight out on his couch, on her side. A bit of her hair fluttered as she breathed, tickling her nose as she slept. He carefully moved it from her face before heading back into the kitchen.

Rattling gently in the cupboard next to his oven, Spike pulled out the metal kettle he kept around for mornings like this. Pulling a waxed bag out of the cupboard directly over the first one, he opened the top of the kettle and settled the basket inside before filling it with ground beans. The sink seemed slightly louder than normal as he filled the maker with hot water, but no one so much as stirred as he continued the routine.

Settling the kettle on the enchanted flat-top of the stove, Spike used the next few minutes to ready as many of his mugs as he could find, hoping that at least one of the group wouldn't want anything.

Rainbow started shifting when the water started boiling into the glass knob on top of the kettle. By the time Spike had poured a couple of cups she had rolled onto her belly. As he turned around she blinked at him, uncomprehending. She glanced down at the mug he put in front of her, before turning to watch Applejack crawl out from under the table and pull up a chair.

"G'mornin'," she muttered, before blowing the steam from her cup and taking a loud sip.

"Buhmurg," Rainbow croaked conversationally before tilting her nose over the cup, inhaling the strong vapors for the moment as Spike chuckled over his mug.

"She's lucky I haven't opened the curtains yet," he said to AJ, who chuckled and nodded.

"So're you though. She might've flailed then and broken your," she lifted the mug and squinted at the writing on the side, "best savior of the Crystal Empire mug."

Spike shrugged. "As good a reason to go dish shopping as any, I suppose."

Twilight trotted into the kitchen then, her eyes glassy as she smiled at the group. She took the cup Spike offered her with a nod and slowly sipped at it as he poured another for himself.

"Where's Pinkie?" she asked, glancing around.

Glancing out the window, Spike muttered, "Probably at the bakery already, it has to be around eight-thirty by now."

The three of them grimaced before starting to blow away the steam on their cups and trying to down their drinks a little faster.

"It's Sunday," he added, and Twilight breathed out in relief before nodding.

AJ frowned a bit and downed the rest of her coffee before standing. "Still gotta check on Mac. Fool gets caught up in his projects sometimes and he hurt his leg a few days ago. Gonna make sure he gets his rest and don't hurt himself today. Sugar Belle might need a break herself if he's bein' real stubborn."

Spike nodded, holding out a paw for her to bump as she waved to the duo at the table and left the house.

Rainbow slid over the tabletop and into the chair AJ had just vacated, looking sadly at the mug she'd abandoned for a bit until Twilight levitated it over to her.

"How about you Twi?" Spike asked as he leaned against a counter. "Any big plans today? Small plans?"

She shrugged, wrapping her hooves around the sides of her mug as she hummed to herself. "Probably, but I'm not sure of anything right now," she admitted. "I was probably going to hit you up unless you have something to do? I've got some library duties to catch up on as well, but I think I'm going to go easy today."

Spike nodded, smiling at her. "I'm free unless Rarity or 'Shy has something they'd like from me."

She nodded before a shy look crept over her muzzle. "Honestly," she muttered, "I'm pretty curious as to what you talked out with Cadance...?"

"Ah," Spike said, before chewing on his lip for a moment. "I'm not sure how you're going to take this, but the biggest thing is that... Well, as I told AJ last night, the three of us are trying a herd thing, and due to some stuff I'm not sure she wants me talking about, Rarity and I are going to be living together for a bit."

"Ah," Twilight said, taking a sip of her cup. "Well, I wanted you to live by yourself for a bit longer than a week, but I'm sure Cadance's reasons are stronger than mine."

Spike smirked at her, and she made a face before smiling back.

"Is Flutters okay with all this?" Rainbow croaked out, taking a drink and making a face of her own at it. "You're not just shacking up with Rarity because you two want to have another go at each other?"

Spike blinked at her a second, feeling the blood rushing to his cheeks and biting off a sharp reply as he took a breath. "I'm not sure how okay with it she honestly is, but she seems to be willing to try at least as much as the rest of us," he said carefully.

Rainbow narrowed her eyes at him before nodding smartly, glancing down at her cup for a moment before asking, "You have any milk an' sugar?"

Spike snorted before he could stop himself, smiling crookedly as he dug a bottle out of the icebox and set it on the table, adding a tray with several covered bowls a moment later.

"So where are you setting up?" Twilight asked, blinking owlishly as Rainbow added three heaping spoons of sugar from one of the bowls to her cup. "I doubt Rarity wanted to move in here, and you were saying last night about how it was a little cramped now that you're bipedal instead of quad-?"

"Right, I think for now the plan is to move me into the boutique," he said, looking around the plain kitchen and smirking at the empty cabinets. "It's quite a bit taller, and if nothing else I can slouch my neck a bit when I stand."

"Uhm, can I ask now why it is you're upright?" Twilight asked. "The curiosity has been getting to me, a little," she clarified with a slight blush.

He took a deep breath, letting it out through his nose as he considered how to word it.

"I am... giving in to my baser nature, a bit," he said slowly, closing his eyes to think a bit harder. "I've been confining myself, I think, to act a bit more like a pony." He opened his eyes and gave a soft smile, making sure to show off his canines. "But I'm not. I'm a... I'm a dragon, and I think ignoring that has been giving me some problems that I don't even really know about. Definitely a complex of some sort, I discovered up there.

"On top of that, the courts of Canterlot gave me an order of sorts," he said with a quirk to his lips. "I'm to learn how to control my growth, uhm, thing, before it happens again."

"The courts?" she asked, concern burrowing into her eyes.

"Blueblood," he said dismissively. "He caught a glance of me from his terrace or something."

"Ah, that explains something," Twilight said with a smirk as her horn lit up, summoning a folded newspaper and slapping it against the table.

Spike leaned over, glancing at the headline before placing a paw over his muzzle to stop up the laughter that threatened to wake the rest of the house.

BLUEBLOOD UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR WASTING ROYAL RESOURCES

"Well, there you go, I suppose," he said with a grin. "Yeah, he sent somepony a little too high up after me and I guess the system didn't appreciate it much. Uhm, Clear Sights, the-"

Twilight made a noise and a thin stream of coffee flew from her lips, tracking a thin line over the paper. "He sent the bucking head of JAG at you?" she said after she'd swallowed the rest of her drink. "No wonder he got in trouble, you're barely military and Sights has way better things to take care of."

"Yeah, Blue made him come give me a court marshal or however it's called."

Twilight rolled her eyes while Rainbow frowned.

"You're military?" she asked Spike.

"Nah," he said, throwing her a thumbs down. "Most of the Royals have a compulsory period in the Guard, but there's a loophole Celestia called in for me and Twi. We're both technically standing members, but then so are the rest of the elements. Celestia just pulled the strings she needed to keep us from going through the training camp. I think you're each..." He looked at Twilight, who shrugged.

"We're capable of giving orders to quite a bit of the actual standing guard during emergency times, but the rest of it we're equal to the ponies doing the paperwork behind the scenes. In the hierarchy, but not part of it?"

Spike shrugged and gestured towards her. "There you go then."

Rainbow nodded, her ears lowering from their perked position. "So I can't just go up to a guard and tell them what to do," she paraphrased, making Spike snort into his coffee mug.

"Pretty much," he said with a smile. "You're only important enough during a crisis, as far as they're concerned."

She hummed quietly, her gaze moving across the room and settling on the closed curtain.

They passed a couple of moments just sipping at their mugs, before Rainbow tilted hers back and emptied it.

"Alright then, I'm off," she said, standing. "I'm sure AJ's got Mac in a choke-hold or something, and Sugar Belle will need somepony to separate them."

Spike gave her a mock salute and Twilight nodded. Rainbow flew over to the sink and placed the empty cup in one of the basins before tapping Spike's muzzle with a hoof and flying into the living room. They heard the door open, then shut.

Spike took a sip of his drink, blinking and smiling at the sounds of hooves moving from the bedroom into the bathroom.

By the time whichever pony it was finishedand walked into the kitchen, Spike had a mug cleaned and a teabag waiting in it with a tiny pot of water heating on the stove.

He put a paw out as she neared, and ran it gently between her ears and down her smoothly brushed mane.

Rarity took the moment to rub her neck on his hip, smiling up at him at he gently pet her again, before she moved with him over to the table, sitting across from Twilight as Spike poured the not-quite-boiling water over the teabag in the cup there.

She smiled over at him, and he returned it softly.

Twilight made a soft noise, almost a sigh, before she pressed a hoof to her mouth to hide a smile.

"It's really nice to see you two looking at each other again," she replied to their questioning looks, blushing a bit and looking off to the side.

"It's nice to be looked at again," Rarity said, voice quiet and rough from sleep.

Spike snorted, moving over a bowl from the tray he'd moved onto the table to her. "As if you'd ever had a single moment when you weren't being looked at," he said, taking the top off of the pot to display the golden honey within.

"Oh tosh," she said with a blush and small smile as she levitated the honey dipper out of the dish and drizzled a bit into her cup. "I should hope there's a few moments I could have to myself."

"At least the ones from a bit ago," Twilight murmured dryly, causing Spike to cough into his mug while Rarity frowned at her.

"Bathroom humor, Twilight?" Rarity asked, causing the mare to blush a bit.

"Trixie would've laughed," she said into her cup, taking a sip.

"Trixie would laugh at a bird flying into a window," Spike pointed out, causing the other two to snort, one of them directly into the cup she'd been sipping from.

"Oh, I hope not," a wispy, sleepy voice whispered from the doorway from his bedroom slash bathroom hallway. Fluttershy had a gentle frown as she moved to sit between Rarity and Twilight. "She's been with you and Starlight long enough now to have hopefully grown up, at least a little."

Twilight considered this for a moment before shrugging. "She'd probably at least feel bad about it?"

Sighing, Fluttershy nodded and murmured something about "more than nothing" under her breath while Spike picked up the kettle and the small pot from the stove. She nodded to the kettle when he lifted them up, smiling as he slid over the tray and a not-fully-filled cup of the dark coffee.

The four of them sat there in relative silence for a moment, sipping their beverages, before Twilight sat her cup down purposefully.

"Well, I suppose I'll be off to the castle, then," she said, looking around the room. "I'll be organizing a few things, if you'd like to swing by today to talk about stuff. Otherwise, next time I see you, I think we should start talking about setting up your training," she finished, raising her eyebrows at Spike.

With a heavy sigh, he nodded. "Sounds like... a plan," he said. "Remember, go easy today?"

Nodding, Twilight pushed away from the table and walked to Spike, standing on her back legs to wrap her forelegs around his neck as he bent his knees slightly and wrapped one of his arms around her, the other holding the remains of his coffee away from them.

After several moments she slowly let go, walking over to the table and giving both of her friends the same hug before leaving the room, then the house.

Spike took a heavy sip from his mug, draining the last of it, before placing it in the sink. With a step he was by the table, and with a last motion he sat in Twilight's chair. Slowly he reached out with both paws, taking a hoof from both of the mares also sitting there.

"First real day back home, huh?" he said with a smile, the other two returning it. "I think the most pressing thing is to check up on Fluttershy's animals, then on Rarity's boutique?"

Rarity nodded, but Fluttershy finished the drink she'd been in the middle of before flicking her muzzle at her.

"You two can go ahead," she said with a small smile. "Just because we're all together now, doesn't mean we have to do every little thing together. I can keep up with my chores just fine by myself," she held up a hoof to Spike as he started to say something, smiling, "just like I've done for the last ten years. Really, you two go ahead.

"Maybe you could even take some of your stuff to the boutique, figure out what space you have?" she finished, raising an eyebrow as she stood from the table, sliding her hoof from under his paw.

Spike and Rarity shared a look, Rarity smirking at him.

"Alright then, if you're sure," he said with his own smile. "You'll let us know if you need anything though, right? I can pick stuff up real good," he said, standing and moving over to kneel by Fluttershy and giving her a gentle hug.

"Absolutely. I'll meet you both there later?"

Rarity nodded when Spike glanced at her, and they all three nodded at each other a couple times before giggling, Spike letting go of Fluttershy only when she moved over to press her hoof to Rarity's own offered one.

She trotted out of the kitchen then, making her way out of the front door as she heard the other two moving through the kitchen.

As she closed the door behind her, she leaned against it and pressed her hooves to her eyes, the nightmare she'd had last night playing through her mind again.

"He still loves you," she whispered to herself, roughly wiping away the leaked saline on her cheeks. "He's not going to stop just because of Rarity."

With these two firm phrases, she spread her wings and flew to the southeast, towards her cabin and critters.

Author's Note:

Heyo guys, sorry this took so long, I got stuck hard in the middle of the chapter for some reason. Anyhow, same love same gratefulness as usual, see you boys later (but hopefully not super later)

PreviousChapters Next