• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 10,688 Views, 428 Comments

The Days Passed - SilverEyedWolf



A poor break-up sends Spike to the most understanding of the Six. She sends him to bed.

  • ...
24
 428
 10,688

PreviousChapters Next
Even Later, in Ponyville

Author's Note:

I never gave up on this story, and I'm not going to stop until it's finished. Let me know if your see anything weird/wrong, this chapter is unedited except by me. I pray you enjoy :twilightsmile:

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie raced ahead of the group; Rainbow to make sure the guard wouldn't attack Spike, and Pinkie letting as many of the townsponies know that he was about to come through to Twilight's and he wasn't a threat to anyone.

Rarity and Applejack paced along Spike's large, slow steps as he carefully walked down the main road to Ponyville. Twilight laid carefully atop his head, and Fluttershy had taken a place between his shoulder blades.
“You're sure nopony will freak out?” he asked, shivering as an errant pegasus flew above them.

“Frankly Spike, no, I'm not.” Twilight muttered, watching the pegasus loop back overhead. After a moment the flier waved, and Twilight waved back. “But we are walking into Ponyville, not Canterlot. Pinkie and Rainbow will do their best to make sure nothing bad happens, so just try and relax. And remember to smile, but without showing your teeth.”

Spike nodded, shallowly. He twitched his cheeks, but let his lips fall back after a second.

“Incoming,” Twilight called, standing from her position and staring up at the slowly spiraling pegasus. “Looks like it's Flitter.”

The stormy blue pegasus came to a hover over the group, looking with surprise down at them. “Wow Spike, another growth spurt?”

Flinching, he smiled guiltily up at her. “Sort of. Long story, boils down to a bear attacked me and Fluttershy, and I overreacted.”

She let out a low whistle, hovering closer and looking over Fluttershy. “Looks like that bear learned it's lesson the hard way. Or, with Fluttershy, the harder way at least. You two okay?”

“Oh, yes,” Fluttershy nodded, even managing a tiny smile. “Everyone came out alright, Spike's just a little, uhm, big for a moment.”

Flitter laughed, nodding. “Awesome. You guys want me to fly ahead, start giving the town a head's up? I, uh, assume you gals are heading towards Twilight's?”

Twilight nodded, saying, “We are, but Pinkie and Rainbow are both already ahead of us. Thank you, though.”

Flitter nodded, before flying down and bumping her hoof against Spike's nose. “Hang tough, big guy. It'll be alright, you'll see.” With a beat of her wings she was twisting through the air, gaining altitude and heading towards town again.

Spike looked down to his left, and Rarity smiled and nodded up to him. He managed a small smile, then turned to the town, marching towards the crystal castle in the distance.

Pinkie met them a minute or so out of the town proper, and gave them a nod and a smile as she fell in beside Rarity.

Rainbow flew up just as they passed the marker welcoming them into town, giving a “Yup” and a grin to Twilight's questioning look.

Taking a deep breath beside the marker, Spike emulated Celestia as best he could, plastering a small smile and serene gaze to his muzzle. Letting out the breath in a controlled burst, Spike stepped into Ponyville.

And immediately winced, looking around for the screaming he was expecting to start as soon as he walked in.

Silence, as well as the questioning gazes of four of his friends, met his glances.

“All good, Spike?” Twilight asked, the worry clear in her voice.

“Yeah, yeah,” he muttered. “Just psyched myself out, I guess. I'm good, I'm good.”

He started walking, keeping to the middle of the road as he paced through the town. The ponies on the ground had to catch up, but they easily matched his steps by trotting. He noticed windows open in the houses they were passing, but he tried not to look at the ponies in them too closely.

“Spike, you don't have to run! I've already told everyone you're good, silly!”

He glanced down at Pinkie, but didn't say anything as he walked into the market square.

Which was full of ponies.

He came to a full stop, looking around at all of the ponies, who seemed to have been gathered and waiting for him.

Spike honestly considered bolting, just jumping over the lot of them, until two smiling ponies stepped forward.

“Heya, Spike,” Donny said, waving up at him. “New neighbor, remember? And I don't abandon my pals that easy, buddy.”

Roseluck, trembling a bit, still managed to smile and nod. “Th-th-th-th-that's r-right. We-we're here for you, S-Spike.”

Spike stared at them for a moment, mouth hanging open slightly. “Guys...”

“Gaaaangwaaaaaaaay!”

Spike looked up in time to see a mass of gray and blonde hair swirling through the air, and had time to think, Is that…? before the mass of hair and feathers plugged itself into his open mouth.

His eyes widened to an impossible size, and his head shook as the pony in his mouth squealed and lashed out, rocking his very skull. He hacked a couple times, catlike, into his paws until the mare fell out, crumpling into a slightly damp ball.

“Ditzy?” Spike asked, coughing a couple of times to dislodge the feathers in his throat.

“I'm not into that sort of stuff, mister,” the mare murmured, before raising a hoof with one flawless, golden baked good perfectly balanced upside down. “I brought you something to make you feel better,” she giggled into his palm.

He stared down at her, bemused, before bursting into large gusting peals of laughter.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

After a general milling about in the square, almost like a press conference, Spike and company made it into Twilight's castle. The five mares rushed inside to help Twilight with her research, while Spike laid down in front of the castle, wrapping his tail around the base.

“Wow. Twilight told us that you'd gotten big, but I didn't know she'd meant gigantonormous.”

Rolling his eyes, Spike turned to face the smirking blue pony.

“Too good to help with the bookwork?”

“Trixie will have you know that there was an attempt made!” she called, leveling a foreleg at his nose. She then flinched, and looked up at the sky as she used the same leg to rub the back of her head. “I got kicked out for distracting Starlight…”

Spike chortled, looking up at the same stretch of blue sky.

“It's alright, Trixie. Thanks for the attempt, anyhow.”

They spent a few minutes staring into the sky, until a large rumbling sound, truly earth shaking, echoed through the air.

“Is the Great and Powerful Trixie hungry, mayhap?” Spike teased, cocking an eyebrow as he grinned up at the sky.

Trixie reached up above her head and pawed at the air for a moment, before she stamped her hoof into the floor. “Trixie should keep her hat closer at hoof… It makes it easier to hide Trixie's blush…”

“Yeah, I've got a pretty awful poker face sometimes too,” Spike said, losing the grin as he stared blankly up into space.

After a moment, Trixie looked up at him.

“It's pretty good right now, isn't it?” she asked. “You don't have to be so worried, Spike. Twilight can, and will, fix this.”

Spike sighed deeply, nodding and smiling a bit. “Thanks Trixie, but this is the third or fourth time someone's tried to give me a pep talk. I'm as good as I'm going to be; for a while, anyways.” He scooped up the reformed magician, nuzzling her with his jaw before setting her down and ruffling her styled mane.

She sputtered for a moment, before she huffed at him and used her magic to straighten her mane out. “Very well then. The Great and Hungry Trixie is off to find a snack, maybe something with peanut butter. Will you be fine out of my spotlight, O wyrm?”

Chuckling, Spike nodded and waved a paw at her, sharing her grin as she walked into the castle. A few minutes later, Rainbow Dash walked out.

“Phew, that room is just so, ugh,” she said, drawing a face. “But hey, good news for both of us! Twiggles said she found something, so I'm almost not stuck in there anymore, and you'll be going inside soon enough instead.”

Spike looked down at Rainbow, happy but too confused to show it. “Twiggles? What?”

“Ugh, uhm,” Rainbow Dash's eyes bugged out a little, looking both ways, before she slid on a blank face. “Starlight said it. But whatever! You're about to get smallerized again!”

Spike stared at her for another second, before shaking his head and smiling. “Hey, that is great news. Did she say how?”

“Well, duh, of course she did!”

They stared at each other for a moment.

“Oh, what, you want me to recite it for you or something? I'm too cool to remember that nerd deluge!” she said, making another face at him.

“But you remember the word 'Deluge'?” he asked.

She rolled her eyes at him. “Weather Pony?”

He rolled his eyes back, and they stared each other down until Rainbow's face broke, her hoof lifting to cover a giggle.

“But really, I have no idea what she was talking about,” she said, shaking her head. “Something about magic and blah blah gems blah blah Starlight blah blah.”

“Nice to know you care, Rainbow.”

She spun around guiltily as Rarity walked out, hovering three large gems in her magic. Applejack, Pinkie, and Fluttershy followed; Applejack staring at the gems, Fluttershy looking worriedly up at Spike. Pinkie was looking, well, everywhere.

“Here, darling, Twilight and Starlight cooked these up. I didn't catch the full details, but they filled these gems up with their magic and had me do some sort of spell to make it so that their magic mixes with yours when you bite down on them.” She shrugged. “I didn't catch everything she was saying, but I do know the poor dears are too busy taking naps right now to explain the idea themselves.”

Gently, Spike reached out with a paw and took the gems from her, examining the cool glow emanating from the crystals. Looking down at his friends, he smiled at their warm expressions, then tossed the gems into his mouth and crunched down on the jewels with a mighty cracking.

Swallowing, he looked down at everyone. “So, how long…”

He looked around, his eyes narrowing, waiting for something to happen. After a few moments had passed, and the girl's looks had turned to confusion, he shook his head.

Slowly, he asked, “So, how long is this supposed to take…?”

Instead of answering, Rainbow Dash pointed at his front legs.

Looking down, Spike noticed his front legs were starting to splay a bit, and he jolted to his feet. For a quarter of a minute he danced around, trying to keep his legs from being swept from beneath him. Giving up, he rolled onto his side and waited out the shrinking.

His reversion took several minutes, but in the end, he was almost back to his normal height.

Rolling over, he rocked over onto his feet and shakily stood up, listing for a moment as his mismatched legs shrunk to the same height. Applejack quickly moved to support him, and he smiled down at her as he balanced on her shoulder.

“You guys are too good to me,” he groused with a smile, fidgeting and testing his legs. He stretched the muscles on his back, but felt nothing. His wings had been lost at some point in one of the transformations, it seemed.

Looking up, he caught both Rainbow and Rarity looking away. His heart tugged, but he smiled.

“It's alright girls. I'm sure they'll grow back, and even if they don't...” He shrugged weakly. “They're not the worst things I could have lost.”

Spike winced as a couple of them teared up. Shaking his head, he sat down and beckoned to the group. Looking down, he saw AJ's face lose it's expression even as her hind legs tensed. Grinning, he snagged her around her barrel and pulled her to his chest, her yelp almost lost among the giggling of the other four.

To no-one's surprise, Fluttershy snuggled underneath his other foreleg and pressed heavily into him; as she did she giggled quietly at AJ's blushing, tight-lipped face.

To everyone's surprise, Rainbow Dash was next, tucking in between the other two mares as she wrapped her forelegs around Spike. “Thought we'd actually lost you, ya dummy. Don't scare me like that.”

Spike wrapped his forelegs around the three as much as he could without hurting the two underneath them, then bent his neck down as Pinkie walked over, nuzzling her as she wrapped her legs around his neck.

His head raised after a moment though, and all five of them looked over at Rarity.

Her hair bristled, and she looked down at the ground, pushing a forehoof into the stone and wiggling it side to side.

Ducking under Spike's arm, Fluttershy walked over to the unicorn. Rarity raised her eyes for a moment when she heard somepony walking over, before flinching and looking off to the side. Fluttershy slowly circled around her other side, until she was standing behind Rarity.

Breaking the silence, Rarity started, “Fluttershy, what are-”

Fluttershy lowered her head and gave Rarity a gentle shove towards the group.

“Darling, I just don't feel comfortable-”

Another shove.

“Really, this is very unladylike-”

This time Fluttershy didn't stop pushing, and Rainbow and AJ made room for Spike to pull Rarity into a deep hug. She tried to mutter out another excuse, but Fluttershy pressed herself into Rarity's back, and soon there was another hug centered around the fashionista.

“Really, dear,” she sniffled. “Don't you know it's rude to make a lady cry?”

And the group held her up, even as she broke down.

PreviousChapters Next