• Published 15th Dec 2015
  • 22,718 Views, 2,229 Comments

The War Machine - Urimas Ebonheart



An experimental self aware A.I. driven robotic soldier named Adam is told he's been ordered to be destroyed by the government... His creator frees him from his military directives and tells him to run. He has a new directive now, self preservation.

  • ...
123
 2,229
 22,718

Chapter 2: A Promise Kept

The War Machine
Chapter 2: A Promise Kept


POV: Twilight Sparkle


'Oh my gosh! This is incredible! Where did he come from? What is he made of? Is he alive or an advanced machine!?' I think to myself as I pull myself up into his metal carriage. Once in, I look around in awe. There's so much technology never even dreamed of in here!

I look down in front of me and see blood near my hooves... I slowly look up to see a bipedal creature laying on the floor... dead, with what look like holes in it. I place a hoof over my muzzle and try not to throw up.

I shake my head and look around. Adam needs help and he said that schematics and parts are in here... and something called a computer.

To my left are what looks like metal limbs and other parts hanging on the wall making me feel a bit queasy just looking at them.

I look to my right and see a tall box-like object with complex looking boards with lines on them and wires behind a glass pane. There's also some kind of window with images on it to its left. I struggle to climb up the chair and see a board with letters, numbers and symbols on it just below the window on the desk. Next to it is a oval shaped object with two buttons and a little wheel on it.

I use my magic to levitate the oval object and examine it. I flip it over and yelp as a thin red light blinded my left eye a bit. I rub my eye and look at the window as I place the oval thing back down. When it touched the desk, a little arrow on the window moved. I stare at it for a few seconds, waiting for it to move again. I make the oval thing move and the arrow moves with it.

'Oh Celestia! This is amazing! Now where are these schematics Adam was talking about?' I move the oval over an image that looks like a folder for papers named Adam V1.0. After a few frustrating seconds of nothing I groan. "Come on! Do something!" I yell at it and squeeze the oval in frustration with my magic. I hear a click and a white box expands with words on it.

I gawk at it and mumble the words I see. "Open... Copy... Delete... Send..." I move the arrow over the word open and try squeezing the oval again... Only for nothing to happen. 'I can do this... think Twilight, think!'

I look at the oval and press my magic down on the right button. The white box shrinks and reopens with different words. "View... Sort... Refresh... New... Where's the open one?" I mutter.

I notice the arrow isn't over the folder anymore, so I move it back and press the right button again. The previous list returns and I grin in triumph. I move the arrow over the word open and this time press the left button.

The list shrinks and a big square shaped thing expands. At the top looks like an address or something, I'm not sure.

In the middle is a list of more images with names. I look through them and see one named War Machine Schematics... War Machine?

I repeat the process of right click, select open and left click. The window changes to a bigger one that takes up the whole glass pane. I just stare at it with wide eyes... This is very complex and I don't understand a lot of it.

"Twilight!? Where are you, Twilight!?" I hear Princess Celestia call out.

"I'm in here!" I yell back, not taking my eyes off the window.

"Twilight? What are you doing in there! It could be dangerous!" she tells me and levitates me off the chair.

"Princess! Wait! I need to help him!" I tell her and struggle to get free... which was in vain.

"Help who?" she asks and spots the creature in the carriage. "Twilight, dear... there's no helping him now," she tells me calmly.

I shake my head and point to Adam. "No, him!" I tell her and point to the metal creature.

She looks at the damaged machine and sighs. "I'm afraid it's also gone, Twilight," she tells me.

"No, he said he can be repaired! There's schematics and parts in the metal carriage to fix him with!" I tell her.

"Repair?" she says and walks over to Adam. A few sparks are still coming off from the damaged areas on him.

"Yes, there's an amazing device in his carriage with all the details on how he works and how to repair him!" I tell her as she puts me down.

"And why should we repair it? It could be dangerous. Something violent must have happened to them to be in this condition," she tells me.

I frown sadly. "I promised I would fix him before he fell asleep," I tell her.

She looks from me to Adam and back again.

"Alright, Twilight, but don't touch anything without my supervision, understood?" she tells me.

I nodded very fast. "Of course Princess! Come and look at what I found!" I reply and head back to the carriage.

Celestia levitates the creature's body out and lays it on the grass. She then covers it with a blanket and a magic bubble around it.

I get back on the seat as Celestia stands beside me. "See, Princess? He can still be saved!" I tell her as she looks at the window with wide eyes.

"By my sun... this is very advanced technology... even the gryphons aren't this far ahead," she says. "How did you get it to work?" she asks me.

I point to the oval thing on the desk. "That controls a little arrow on the window and the buttons select things, like this," I reply and right click on an arrow pointing to the right... only for nothing to happen. I try the left button and the window changes to a picture of an orb called an electro-fusion core.

"Incredible..." she says and I let her take control of the oval. She moves it around and then clicks on a few of the images. "We'll have to study this. Maybe our injured stranger can enlighten us once we manage to repair him," she says and exits the carriage.

I follow behind her and watch as she strains her magic to just lift Adam. "Good heavens! He's rather heavy." She grunts in effort and gently places him on the carriage floor. "He weighs nearly a ton," she says panting. Wait... a ton!?

She looks at Adam and the crane like frame at the back. She grunts again and slowly lifts him up and hooks him onto it where he dangles from it. "Are you okay, Princess?" I ask her with concern.

"I'm fine, Twilight," she replies, still panting for breath. "It may take us a long while before we can even begin to fix him," she says.

I look up at her. "He said something about his power core being unstable," I tell her and point at the window with the orb on it. "Maybe if we can fix that, he'll wake up again."

"Well then, tomorrow we'll have a lot of studying to do," she tells me.

I squeal and hop in place. "This is so exciting! I can't wait to get started!" I say and try to climb on the chair again, only for Princess Celestia to stop me.

"I did say tomorrow," she tells me with a giggle.

"Awww," I groan as she leads me out.

Princess Celestia then calls out to the guards. "I want ten guards watching this metal carriage at all times. No pony other than the guard or Twilight and myself are to come near it," she tells them.

They all salute at her. "Yes, your Majesty!" they reply and set up a perimeter around the carriage and shoo away curious onlookers.

Celestia looks up at the statue of Discord with a slight glare before sighing. She then levitates the body of the dead creature beside her. "Twilight. I'm going to take this poor creature to the medical wing to make sure it's not carrying any diseases or harmful bacteria. You're coming with me as well just in case," she tells me.

I yelp as she levitates me in a bubble as well. "Princess!" I whine but she ignores me and we head back into the Castle.


Two Years Later


I enter the lab with Princess Celestia and Spike and walk up to the what we discovered from Adam's computer is actually called a Trailer. An automobile that is powered by the much larger electro-fusion battery behind the station Adam has been hanging from for the last two years. We were also surprised that it gets its energy from the rays of the sun with the panels on its roof. Celestia was able to use her magic to simulate the sun's rays and keep the battery powered.

We've made great progress in understanding how his power core works and today is the day where we'll attempt to wake him up. I can't wait to tell him I kept my promise.

Other ponies the Princess brought in to aid in the process who've also been sworn to secrecy are researching other objects found inside. The spare limbs and parts have been thoroughly examined and detailed, we even found objects that seem to be weapons of some kind. After a pony almost lost their life from being hit from one of the smaller ones when it went off, the Princess had them locked up.

There was also this strange device with a smaller screen on it with sticks and buttons, but it had Adam's name on it so we left it alone as we didn't want to damage it.

I put on my lab coat and goggles and step into the Trailer. "Good morning, Adam. Today's the day you come back to the waking world," I tell him and remove the plating on his chest. I then open up the panel that exposes his core and begin the repairs to it.

I follow the schematics to the letter as Princess Celestia and Spike pass me parts and materials to continue the repairs. The other scientists stand near the Trailer watching with anticipation.

Spike uses a cloth to wipe the sweat from my forehead as I slowly and carefully replace parts and weld lose pieces back into place. I have to give it to these humans, they knew what they were doing and I'm amazed at some of the stuff they've come up with. There were more schematics in the computer, but only Adam's were accessible as the others are password protected.

I weld the last piece into place and connect a cable from the large electro-fusion battery into his core. I then sit at the computer and run his start up sequence.

The large electro-fusion battery hums to life and the cable lights up as energy flows into Adam's core.

After a few seconds of holding our breaths, Spike speaks up. "Did it work?" he asks hiding behind Celestia's forelegs.

I start to get worried when nothing seems to be happening. I look back to the screen and see a charging icon. "I think so. According to this, it'll take an hour to fully recharge his core," I reply.

"Soooo, we just wait then?" he asks.

"Yes, Spike. Now we wait," I tell him.

Princess Celestia smiles at me. "Please let me know when he awakens. I have many questions for him," she tells me.

"Of course, Princess," I reply and keep an eye on the monitor.


One Hour Later


I yawn as I keep watch. His core's energy levels hit ninety-nine percent and I turn to look at him. His head twitches and I couldn't help keep the smile off my muzzle.

His head suddenly looks up and it seems he's looking around.

I get up and stand in front of him. "Hello, Adam. Welcome back."