• Published 15th Dec 2015
  • 22,757 Views, 2,229 Comments

The War Machine - Urimas Ebonheart



An experimental self aware A.I. driven robotic soldier named Adam is told he's been ordered to be destroyed by the government... His creator frees him from his military directives and tells him to run. He has a new directive now, self preservation.

  • ...
123
 2,229
 22,757

Chapter 16: Together We March

The War Machine
Chapter 16: Together We March

I connect to my Titan's radio and try to contact Luna. "Luna, do you read me?" I ask her.

"Adam? What is the matter?" she replies.

"Gryphons are on their way to kidnap you, get in the Trailer and stay in there. The Titansteel Plating and locks will keep you safe," I tell her.

"What!? I'll alert Tia," Luna says with a worried tone.

"Father? Is mother in danger?" Eve asks me.

"Yes, armed gryphons are on their way to take her away," I tell her.

"What shall I do?" Eve asks.

"I want you to upload yourself into my Trailer's Computer where you'll be safe," I tell her.

"Yes, father," she replies.

I spot my Titan ahead of me and jump onto it when I reach it, I dump the tied up gryphon into the hatch and then go full throttle across the dusty plains towards Ponyville.


I've been driving for thirty-two hours and so far Luna and Eve are fine. I'm still seven hours from Ponyville but I'll be in range to control the other Titan in less than an hour. Guards have been sent to the Workshop to protect it, Luna, and Eve.

"Adam! I can hear the guard fighting and cannons going off!" Luna tells me as I can hear the cannon fire of the gryphon Tanks firing at the Workshop.

"Stay in the Trailer, I'm almost in range to control the other Titan," I tell her and charge through a few small trees. I've foregone the roads and have taken a direct route back.

Twenty minutes later Eve speaks up. "Father, the gryphons have gotten into the Workshop," she tells me.

Processing... "Eve, look through the Trailer schematics and take control of the Trailer's turret, shoot any gryphons you see and get Luna out of there. Password to the folder is Hua83VjsK972Skj003vUep." I order her. I didn't want to teach her how to use weaponry yet or at all, but she and Luna are in danger and I won't leave them defenceless.

Every folder is passworded with long random letters and numbers so no one can guess them, only I have the passwords in my on board hard drive.

"Yes, father," she replies.

"Once I get in range, I'll take control of the Titan there and assist you," I tell her.

"Understood."

A few seconds later I hear the turret spin up and hail hot lead raining down onto screaming gryphons.


POV: Eve


After scanning the Trailer and turret schematics on the computer I take control of the turret and look through its camera.

I turn the turret to the left and aim at three gryphons who enter through the hole in the wall. I spin up the barrels and open fire with a burst of fifteen shots.

The gryphons scream in pain as the hot metal tears through their armour. Thirty-three guards are outside fighting the gryphons.

Mother is safe inside the Trailer with anything sensitive such as Twilight's prototypes and blueprints so they can't be stolen.

Once the gryphons are dead I turn on the engine and remotely control the Trailer, unfortunately I only have access to first gear and limited turning speed.

I open the main door and start guiding the Trailer out while firing on the gryphons. There are at least forty of them and the ponies are slowly being overwhelmed.

Tank shells start to hit the side of the Trailer but they barely even scratch the Titansteel Plating. I aim the turret at one of the Tank driver's view port and open fire.

Most of the shots miss but a few get through and rip the crew apart. The remaining ponies are trying to reach the Tanks but are being shot down before they even get close.

I follow my father's orders and start driving away in father's direction at ten miles an hour. Two of the Tanks begin to follow us and keep firing at us.

Processing... "Mother, do you have any spells that can freeze a target?" I ask her.

She looks at the computer and frowns. "Yes I do, it only temporarily stops a target for a minute or two before it wears off," Mother replies.

"Will it affect anything or just living creatures?" I ask her.

"Well, mostly against another living being, but it can stop inanimate objects for twenty to thirty seconds," she tells me.

The trailer is hit a couple more times and the left rear wheels burst from the impact. My speed drops to six miles per hour and the Tanks are catching up quickly.

"Can you freeze them from here?" I ask mother.

"I can try," she replies and one of the rear doors opens slightly.

Her horn glows and so does one of the Tanks, it suddenly slows down to a stop but mother is forced to take cover as another shell just hits the door beside her.

I turn the turret to the Tank and open fire at the driver's view port, only for it to close with a small sliding plate.

Another shot hits the doors and the Trailer stops moving as the rims of the damaged wheels get stuck in the dirt.


POV: Adam


I'm finally close enough to control the other Titan wirelessly. I stop my Titan and sit on the top of the turret and transfer myself into the Titan at the Workshop.

I turn on it's core and power up its systems. Once online, I activate the turret and gun down the ten gryphons ransacking the Workshop. I then drive forward and spot two Tanks, one seems to be idle while the other aims its gun at me. I quickly fire off a shell between the gun and the tank, blowing it off.

I continue to gun down the gryphons with the Minigun while I drive over to the other tank and ram it over onto its side.

"Father, we've been immobilised and the gryphon Tanks are trying to break down the doors," Eve tells me.

"I'm taking over the Trailer's turret so I can use it to see where I am aiming," I tell her.

"Yes, father."

I use the Trailer's turret to see the two gryphon Tanks shooting at the Trailer's rear doors.

Calculating distance...
Titan Tank 2.16 miles from Trailer...
Calculating angle and wind velocity...
Targets acquired, firing main guns.

I fire off two shots and watch through the turret as the two shells fly towards the Tanks, a few seconds later they hit their marks and the two Tanks sides get blown out. I then use the turret to gun down any of the surviving crew.

"Thank you, father," Eve says to me.

"You're welcome, I am returning to the other Titan and will continue back to the Workshop. Resume control of the turret and protect Luna until I arrive," I order Eve.

"Understood, father," she replies.

"Thank you for protecting us, Adam," Luna then tells me.

"Anytime," I reply.


Six Hours and Twenty-four Minutes Later


Celestia was informed that the gryphons failed to take Luna and that twenty-six of the guards sent down to protect her were killed. To say that Celestia was angry was an understatement, she's absolutely livid with the gryphons attempt at kidnapping Luna and the deaths of her guards. She's asked for me and Luna to head up to Canterlot when we can to discuss retaliatory options.

I arrive back at the Workshop and tow the Trailer back using both Titans. All the gryphons have been eliminated but a couple escaped once they saw the Titan moving.

Eve was transferred back into Luna's computer, fortunately her room was protected by spells that only allow her inside which kept it intact from the attack. It was a shame she couldn't cast it over the entire Workshop, the damage is quite extensive. Even the Apache chassis took some damage and some parts will need to be replaced.

After our talk with Celestia I am going to install Minigun Turrets and Rocket Pods on top of the Workshop.


Once everything is put back where it was, Luna used her magic to repair the small tools and tables while I repaired the Trailer's rear wheels.

"Repairs completed, we can leave when we're ready," I tell Luna.

"Very well, let us go and meet with my sister, Adam. I am just as angry that they would dare step so far into our... Equestria's borders so brazenly," she replies.

I get into the driver's seat while Luna gets in the back. "Eve, keep an eye out for any more gryphons. You may use the Titans Minigun Turrets if need be," I tell her.

"Understood, father. Be safe and good luck," she replies.

I drive out of the Workshop where fifty more guards have arrived and are patrolling the area along with a cloud lookout above the Workshop. I go around Ponyville and take the road up to Canterlot.


One Hour and Twenty-Seven Minutes Later


We arrive at Canterlot and I park the Trailer near the Lab. There seems to be chimpanzee and orangutan scientists here now helping with the rifles and Tank.

Luna and I say hello to the Scientists before heading into the Castle and to the throne room.

The guards let us in and Celestia looks... unhappy.

"Luna, Adam. I'm glad to see you both unharmed, though I can't say the same for the guards who gave their lives to protect you..." she says sadly.

"That is why we are here sister, we must strike back as to show we will not tolerate their attacks anymore," Luna tells her.

"Exactly, I've kept some pegasi patrolling the borders and beyond. I have reports of an outpost twenty miles from our border, I believe that is where our surprise attack came from," Celestia tells us.

"So you want me to fly over and check it out?" I ask her.

"No, I've already had pegasi and thestrals scout it out. There are gryphon soldiers there as well as a few of their Tanks. They've even seen messengers going to and from Gryphonstone and the outpost," she replies.

"I see, so you want me to destroy it?" I ask her next.

"Correct, but we cannot keep relying on you, and as such, we shall send our own armoured division with you when it is ready. We have figured out how the gryphon Tank works and have begun production of our own versions as we speak. The first six should be ready within a month."

"I see. So you wish to show the gryphons that Equestria can stand for itself even without my aid," I say.

"Yes, so once we have the first six Tanks made and hopefully Twilight's magic rifles ready by the end of next month, we shall then launch our counter attack," she tells us.

"Understood, I shall make defences for the Workshop first then aid Twilight with her rifle. I have my own idea's for magic based weapons and defences," I reply.

"Then it is settled, we will attack the outpost in forty-three days time," Celestia says.

"Okay, we'll head back to Ponyville and begin preparations. We'll inform you when the rifles are ready to be made and distributed to your guards," I inform her.


Two Weeks and Four Days Later


Twilight and her friends arrived two weeks ago via carriage and under heavy guard, fortunately no gryphons attacked them.

The Workshop is back in perfect condition and repaired, I've also installed four Minigun Turrets and four Rocket Pods on the roof, a Minigun Turret at each corner and a Rocket Pod in between them which Eve and I can control. If the gryphons attack again, they'll get a very 'warm' welcome.

The Apache is halfway completed after repairing the damage done to the chassis; we won't get it ready by the time of the attack, but now that Twilight is back I can help her with her rifles.

Eve has learnt sixty percent of Equestria's history now and is starting to sort through the data I have learnt on magic.

Celestia has visited three times and was very paranoid about another possible Gryphon raid, but after seeing the new Turrets and Pods on the roof she's been much calmer. Luna has even used up most of our Titanium to bolster the Workshop's walls so it'll be harder to break through. I have enough left to get the Apache done but not a second, though I agree the defence of the Workshop comes first.

Luna hasn't left my side for the last two weeks, I believe she's afraid that she'll get injured or killed like Celestia nearly was. I'll have to fabricate her a suit of Nano-Fibre and Titanium Armour, it will be more than bullet proof against the Gryphons round shot and she may even be able to deflect a few of their shells as well with her left foreleg before the plating would buckle.

I've checked in with the diamond dogs and they've really improved since I last saw them. They're wearing better clothing and the den looks like a thriving town. Families look happy and business is booming, even ponies and minotaurs were walking around buying things in the market area. They sell a lot of the metal, crystals, and gems they mine to Ponyville and travelling merchants that come by.


Twilight and I are at her workstation looking over her rifle design while Trixie is next to us working on the camouflage runes for the pegasi armour.

"Argh! This is impossible! Why isn't the magic flowing out of the barrel correctly!?" Twilight yells in frustration.

I look at the design again and examine the barrel... Processing... I would seem that the silver used to conduct the magic in the barrel is absorbing half of the magic before it's released out the barrel, similar to a muzzle flash from my Assault Rifle.

"What metals do you know of that is resistant to magic?" I ask her.

"Iron is pretty resistant to it... why?" she replies and asks me. Saving data to hard drive.

"The silver in the barrel may be guiding the magic through the barrel, but it's also absorbing half of the magic as well and is causing the recoil and light blue muzzle flash when it fires. Are there any materials or runes that pull magic towards it without absorbing it?" I ask her.

"There's a rune that attracts magic to it yes, why would that help?" she asks.

"I was thinking you could put that rune at the end of the barrel that when the trigger is pulled, it pulls the magic from the crystal towards the end and then turns off which catapults the magic out like a slingshot, this will only work depending on how strong the rune pulls the magic though," I reply pointing at the top part of the inner barrel near the end.

She goes wide eyed at the possibility. "But how are we going to power that rune? It'll need it's own battery to function," she tells me.

"We can put a crystal battery in the stock which will channel to the rune when the trigger is pulled for a fraction of a second before automatically cutting off. The trigger will release the magic in the crystal bullet and pull back a connector that will connect the rune to the battery before instantly separating. The strong pull of the rune will catapult the magic from the crystal bullet at a speed that will depend on how well the rune pulls the magic," I tell her.

She looks from me and back to the blueprint. "That... that might work. I'll need to remove the silver and hollow out the stock but it could work!" she says with excitement and gets to work on removing the silver.


Two Days later


Twilight removed the silver from the barrel, put the battery in the stock and placed four runes at the tip of the inner barrel: top, bottom, left, and right sides.

We're standing outside with Luna, Celestia, and Trixie as we're now about to test the rifle. Eve is watching through one of the Turrets on the roof.

Twilight is standing behind a blast shield with a nano-fibreglass view port so she can see what she's doing. She levitates the rifle in front of the shield and pulls back the bolt and puts a glowing light blue crystal bullet in the chamber. Once in, she pushes the bolt back into place and aims the rifle at the targets set up in the open field.

"Beginning test fire of the Arcana Rifle Mark-one," she says and pulls the trigger.

A pinging sound comes from the rifle as the bolt of magic is flung out the barrel at a speed of six-hundred and forty-seven miles per hour, not as fast as one of my bullets, but impressive nonetheless for a projectile of energy.

They hit the first target that imitates the flesh of a living creature and burns the point of impact and washes over the area around it, burning it even more. Once the magical energy fades away, a small two and a half centimetre wide and two inches deep hole is seen on the target at the point of impact while the area around it is charred black by a radius of one inch and seven millimetres.

Twilight's jaw drops as does Trixie, Celestia, and Luna's as well. Twilight shakes her head and pulls the bolt back, the now dim crystal bullet is flung out and she examines the chamber.

"T-The chamber is still intact and the c-crystal bullet i-is depleted..." she tells us and puts a new bullet into the chamber.

She then aims the rifle at the steel plate target. "Fire in the hole," she says and pulls the trigger again.

The bolt hits the steel but doesn't do much, it leaves a small black scorch mark but didn't penetrate.

Twilight writes down the result and loads another crystal into the rifle. This time she's firing into the armour of one of the gryphons I killed here.

She fires into it and the steel breastplate survives but the leather padding and straps are burnt off.

After another fifty shots to test how long the rifle can continue firing, Twilight stops and examines the rifle.

"Well, the bolt seems to have a slight deviation of point five degrees from target, but still pretty accurate. The chamber isn't damaged and the runes are still intact," she says while writing it down. She then opens the stock and checks the battery inside. "The battery is still at ninety-three percent charge," she says with a smile and turns to us. "I think it's safe to say the rifle is ready for production!" she tells us while hopping on the spot.

The others all look surprised by the rifle's performance.

"It performed very well considering it was your first ever rifle, Twilight. Well done," I compliment her.

She blushes from the praise and looks down in embarrassment.

"How long will it take to make more of these rifles and ammunition?" I ask Twilight.

"Oh, erm... I think in a week we could make about fifty of them with fifty to seventy crystal bullets each..." she replies.

I nodded and turn to Celestia. "How much longer until your armoured division is ready?" I ask her.

Celestia shakes her head lightly. "Two more weeks and the tanks will be ready, the crew are practising with the three tanks we have ready at the moment and will be ready for the assault when it is time," she tells me.


Two Weeks and Three Days Later


I've fabricated the suit of armour for Luna which is made from a skin tight nano-fibre ballistic material. I had to use up the last of the spare I had in the Trailer which was for repairing mine if it was damaged, but I believe it is worth it. I'll just have to ask Luna to help me make the machine required to fabricate more later. I've also created Titanium Plating to cover it in the style of my plates as per her request, her helmet is also similar to mine, just longer.

Celestia and the others were very shocked to see it. The weight doesn't affect Luna much due to her earth pony like strength which is boosted by her alicorn magic as well, but she is slowed down by it by nearly half her original speed. Though she was ecstatic when I mentioned making it for her.

I've also promised to help the Crusaders find their special talents when we return from the assault when they asked me for assistance.


A small force is gathered outside the Workshop comprised of sixty-two unicorns armed with the new Arcana Rifles along with one-hundred earth ponies in thick heavy looking armour and big sturdy shields the unicorns will use as mobile cover. Twilight even managed to finish the camouflage runes for the pegasi so we have thirty-seven pegasi with the runes equipped.

Celestia even had Twilight tell her how she made the first crystals for the rifle that detonated on her so during the last month, she had bombs made from crystals that have a stabilising rune attached to them and when the rune is removed, the crystal begins to go unstable and after a few seconds they detonate violently. Celestia has turned them into bombs for the camouflaged pegasi to drop from above unseen.

Six tanks that are white with Equestria's flag on the sides are lined up with my two Titans. They look like light tanks compared to my heavy ones but they use the same ammunition as the gryphons do. I'm thinking they'll develop crystal and magic based weaponry later due to the success of Twilight's Arcana Rifles.

Celestia stands in front of the gathered guards and starts speaking in a loud tone to them.

"My little ponies. Jackaal and his soldiers have invaded our lands and killed our fellow ponies all in the name of gaining power and technology. We will no longer sit by while as he does as he pleases," she tells them.

The gathered guards roar in sync together, causing the ground to shake faintly.

"We will march for their outpost twenty miles from our border and send them a message. We will no longer tolerate their aggression and behaviour against us. We now have the means to fight back! Even Adam, our newest friend and ally will be joining us in this assault," Celestia says with a little bow to me.

The gathered guards face me and yell out their support.

Celestia shouts out and her horn glows. "Now we march! We march to avenge our fallen and to punish the guilty!"

She's now wearing golden coloured full plate armour that covers her entire body with two large Chakrams in the shape of suns levitating beside her.

Luna stands beside me in her new armour and she also has my two Tac-90 Pistols with twenty magazines for them both along with a pair of her own Chakrams in the shape of crescent moons .

The guards roar out again and we begin our trek into Gryphonia.