• Published 15th Dec 2015
  • 22,716 Views, 2,229 Comments

The War Machine - Urimas Ebonheart



An experimental self aware A.I. driven robotic soldier named Adam is told he's been ordered to be destroyed by the government... His creator frees him from his military directives and tells him to run. He has a new directive now, self preservation.

  • ...
123
 2,229
 22,716

Chapter 11: Let's Even The Odds

The War Machine
Chapter 11: Let's Even The Odds

I flew back to Canterlot and once within radio contact, I informed them of my arrival and landed in the Gardens near the Lab; Twilight and the others were happy to see I was unharmed.

"Adam! Thank Celestia you're alright!" Twilight says and hugs me by standing on her hind legs and wrapping her forelegs around my waist.

"I am perfectly fine, Twilight. Though I do have some bad news," I reply and she lets go.

"What did you find?" Celestia asks me.

"The gryphons have artillery and tanks, large armoured vehicles usually on tracks, but theirs are on rubber wheels with a forty-four millimetre cannon on top. The artillery guns looked to be sixty millimetre breech-loading swivel cannons that fire pointed shells instead of round shot. They also have a lot of soldiers armed with the flintlock rifles and pistols," I inform her.

"I see... that is a cause for concern, did you find anything else?" she asks with a worried expression.

"They have radio towers set up all over Gryphonstone and a coal based power plant in the northern section of the city. I couldn't see anything else without actually having to go down there myself," I reply.

"Thank you for retrieving this information... I do not know how we will counter these guns of theirs, while not as advanced as yours, they still managed to injure me quite badly," Celestia says with a frown.

Processing... Due to circumstances, I could build some Titan Mark-90 Tanks and loan them to Equestria.

I turn to Celestia and get her attention. "I believe I can solve that problem, I can build a few Titan Mark-Ninety Tanks that I can control wirelessly and loan them to Equestria for defence along with a AH-Ninety-Two Apache or two. I can even help Twilight who's been researching a way for a rifle to fire bolts of magic instead of metal, thus arming your guard to an even playing field," I tell her.

"You would do that for us? Despite knowing you'll have to share them with the other nations except for Gryphonia?" she asks me with surprise.

"I wouldn't have to as long as I build the vehicles myself and not show the schematics to anyone else; they'll be classified as mine and that I am aiding in the defence of a friend, I am not part of this treaty to share technology. As for the magic rifles, that would be up to you as this is Twilight's project," I reply and head into the Lab to remove the flight module and reattach my titansteel plating.

"But how will you forge the parts needed for their construction?" Luna asks me.

That is a good question, I relied on Luna for the flight modules fabrication. "I do not know. I will have to build my own forge and make the parts myself, though this process will take me months if not years to do so, time we do not have," I reply.

I notice Luna looking down in thought and then suddenly look up at me. "What if I was to renounce my rule of Equestria to aid you in these... Tanks’, construction? If I am no longer an Equestrian citizen, the sharing of technology does not apply to me," she says getting a shocked gasp from Celestia and Twilight.

"Luna! What are you saying!?" Celestia asks Luna with wide eyes.

"I am doing what must be done, Tia. This way, Adam will be able to build these Tanks and not have to divulge their methods of construction," Luna replies with conviction and looks at her prosthetic leg. "Adam had kept me from from killing too many ponies on my return and in turn got severely injured himself, he even built me a new leg when he didn't have to... I owe a lot to him; let me do this sister, for him and for Equestria," she says and looks at Celestia.

Celestia has a sad frown of her face as she looks between Luna and me. "I... I don't know... I just got you back, Luna. I don't want to lose you again..." she says with tears forming at her eyes.

"I am not going away, Tia, I'll still visit and call you daily," Luna says and shakes her prosthetic leg. "I just want to help Adam as he has helped me," she replies and hugs her sister.

"Are you sure about this, Luna?" I ask her, this is a big decision she is making.

She turns to me with a smile. "I am. By doing this, I am not only repaying my debt to you, but also protecting Equestria in the process," she tells me.

"Then I accept your offer," I reply and nodded to her.

"I cannot tell you what to do, Luna... but I am saddened none the less. You do realize that by doing this, you may never again sit on the Equestrian throne," Celestia tells her sister.

Luna sighs and looks down. "I do... Let's be honest, our subjects don't want me here anyway since my return, they still fear me as Nightmare Moon... I hear the rumours and gossip around the Castle," Luna replies with a sad frown.

Celestia hugs Luna and sniffles. "I've tried to quell the rumours... but a thousand years of stories and myths are not so easily washed away," she says.

"I know, but this way, I can help protect them; even if they do not like me," Luna replies and lets go of Celestia.

Oh yes, I must tell them of Jackaal’s and my communication. "I also spoke with Jackaal while circling the city," I tell them.

"And what did he say?" Celestia asks with a frown and wipes her eyes.

"He denies that any Equestrian messengers arrived at Gryphonstone and that my flying over the city is an act of aggression. Come to the Trailer and I shall play back what I have seen and heard," I reply and walk over to my Trailer.

I upload the data and replay the flight on the computer screen. Once it was over, I see anger on Celestia's face at Jackaal's statement that no messengers arrived.

"How long will it take for you to build these Tanks and Apaches?" she asks me.

"Seeing as I cannot create new Titansteel as the process is much more in depth than just merging materials together, I will have to resort to making the Tanks and Apaches out of Titanium instead, similar to my flight module. As I have five processors in me, I will be able to control two Tanks and two Apaches simultaneously while the fifth will be for my own body," I tell them. "As to how long, with Luna's help to mould and shape the needed components and I to program them, I estimate four to six months for all four vehicles," I reply.

Celestia nodded to me and then turns to Twilight. "How long do you think it will take to make these magic rifles?" she asks her student.

"Oh! Erm, I believe a few months maybe? I still need to figure out how Adam's rifle works before I start, but I can't do that without needing the blueprints for it..." Twilight replies and rubs the back of her head with a hoof.

"We still have the rifle and pistol from the captured gryphon who shot Celestia, you could use that as a base since it is gryphon technology," I remind them.

Twilight gasps and goes wide eyed. "Of course! If we use that, then we won't need Adam's rifle which means we won't have to reveal how it works! Since the gryphons made these behind everypony's back, we can share its design with the others no problem!"

I look to Celestia with a thought. "Would we need to call for another gathering of nations to inform them of what is happening?" I ask her.

She nodded in reply as I remove the plating on my arms. "Indeed, but it will have to be held here since the neutral location is no longer safe. I will send out letters to their leaders and call for a meeting in one or two months from now," she says.

"Well then, I believe I will need to set up my own workshop to build these vehicles as this lab is too small," I say.

"There's a large field near Ponyville you could use to build it," Twilight suggests helpfully.

"That seems reasonable, as long as that is okay with you, Celestia," I reply and say.

The white alicorn nodded at me. "Yes, I agree. I'll have the materials sent with you before you leave."

"Thank you, but before any of this happens... can you help me get the Valkyrie Engine off please?" I ask them as I cannot reach behind me and safely take it off as I had Luna attach it to my back to begin with.


One Hour and Seventeen Minutes Later


I'm now back in my titansteel plating and my jet skate systems are back in place, as much as I enjoyed the flight module, I feel much more secure in my titansteel plating.

During this time Twilight has applied the magical runes to the radio tower, extending its range from two-hundred miles to four-hundred. This has caused it to reach places called Manehattan, Las Pegasus and Cloudsdale.

I'm sitting in my Trailer where carts and carriages filled with building materials are behind us. I'm getting these materials free as my proceeds from the radio sales are going towards them.

"This should be enough to get you started on your workshop. If you require more, please don't hesitate to ask," Celestia tells me.

Luna, now bereft of crown and Equestrian status, is sitting beside me in the driver's cabin while Twilight and Spike are in the back.

"Thank you, Celestia. I will keep you informed of our progress," I reply and start up the Trailer's engine.

Celestia then looks towards Luna. "Please take care of yourself, you're welcome back here anytime, Lulu," she says with a sad smile.

"I know, Tia. I'll call you later," Luna replies with a strained smile and I shift the Trailer into first gear.

I leave the Lab with the carts and carriages behind me, Luna then starts sniffling and begins sobbing.

"What is the matter, Luna?" I ask her.

"It is much harder than I thought to let go... but I know this is for the best," she tells me and wipes her nose.

I glance at her briefly before looking back to the road. "For what it is worth, I am grateful for your choice. I have come to call this place home and will do what I can to protect it. I was built for war, to kill, but that doesn't mean I cannot protect as well. You have been a wonderful friend these past few months, Luna," I reply. I'd be smiling if I could.

I glance back at her and see her smiling at me with a tear stained face. "That means a lot to me, Adam," she says and wipes her eyes.

"So what will you do now that you are no longer an Equestrian Princess?" I ask her.

"For now, I will aid you in these vehicles construction, and then join you in your siege of Gryphonstone. I will make Jackaal suffer for what he has put my sister through," she replies with a frown.

We follow the road out of Canterlot and head down towards Ponyville. It took longer due to the carts and carriages not moving as fast as the Trailer.

We go around the town and stop a mile out in an empty field, Luna and I exit the Trailer and look around. The ground looks level and flat, perfect for what I require.

"This will do nicely," I say and turn to the ponies that pulled the carts. "Thank you for your assistance, you may return to Canterlot," I tell them and examine the material in the carts.

"If you're sure, we were told to aid in the workshop's construction," a big beige coloured stallion with a dark brown short mane and tail says.

"I am sure. Luna and I can handle this," I reply and pull out a block of steel. I suppose Luna can just mould this into the shape I need.

"Alright then... You heard him colts! We're heading back to Canterlot!" he shouts out to the others and then turns back to me. "We'll be back tomorrow for the carts and carriages then," he tells me and I nodded in reply, the ponies all turn back towards Ponyville and leave.

"So where do we get started?" Luna asks me.


Five Days Later


The workshop is now standing tall thanks to Luna's magic and my strength, we still need tools to fill it with, but the structure is up and is the size of a large warehouse. Luna barely rested as alicorns can stay up for days before needing rest.

During these five days, Twilight has been visiting and has asked if there's room for her to set up a personal lab for herself. I didn't mind and gave her a corner for her to use when the construction had been completed. Luna has also flown up to Canterlot twice to visit Celestia and called her on the radio every evening at eight pm.

Luna and I are currently in Ponyville with Twilight and Spike at the Library, though it wasn't a pleasant trip for Luna as most ponies ran or took cover behind things yelling that Nightmare Moon has returned. Luna looked really upset at that.

"Thanks for coming over today, I have some idea on how these rifles will work, but I wanted to get your opinions on it first," Twilight tells Luna and me.

Twilight shows us a blueprint of the disassembled gryphon rifle with some parts replaced with a new pony friendly trigger and a crystal that looks similar to the magic batteries we developed where the flintlock chamber used to be.

"These look sound so far, Twilight Sparkle," Luna says, looking over the blueprint.

I notice that she's made a system similar to that of a bolt action rifle where the crystal is placed in the chamber and the firing pin triggers the magic within it, sending it down and out of the barrel.

"There's two versions of the rifle, one for unicorns who can recharge the crystal themselves, and another for pegasi and earth ponies who can change out the crystal with a new one, kinda like how you reload your weapons," Twilight tells me.

"I can see that working," I reply looking at the unicorn rifle design. I can already see ways I can reference this design in designing my own magic based weapons and systems.

I then look back to Twilight. "The workshop is finally built, you can start bringing in your own equipment whenever you're ready, Twilight," I tell her and hand the blueprints back to her.

She gasps and her horn glows as a door under the stairs opens and her personal computer comes out along with a few strange machines along with some tools floating in the air behind her.

"What are we waiting for!? Let's go!" Twilight shouts out in glee and runs out the door.

Luna and I share a look before following behind her while Spike stays in the Library.


Two Weeks Later


I now have some tools I had Luna help me make: soldering guns, drills, plasma cutters and more advanced human tools.

I've also begun work on the first Titan Tank where the chassis and power core are completed, I just need to add the automated reloading system, motors, armour plating and have the on board computer installed along with the wireless network connected to my Trailer.

Twilight has begun fabricating a prototype of the unicorn rifle using a crystal battery as a base for the magic bolt chamber, though the first two crystals detonated from being overcharged, fortunately I detected the surges and Luna put a barrier over the crystals before they blew up in Twilight's face.

Celestia has come down to visit twice and Luna went to Canterlot four times while Twilight has been out and about with her friends.

Luna has been sleeping in a room she's made in the workshop decorated with things from her old room in the Castle. We have gotten to know each other better during our work or when it's just us; she's very talkative and energetic as she asks questions about the human world and its wonders. However when we visit Ponyville for her necessities, she's quiet and antisocial as the ponies avoid her.

I'm inside the Tank's chassis welding the automated loading system to the main gun when I hear talking coming from the main entrance.

"Spike said he's in here somewhere, are you sure we should be here? I heard that Twilight says that whatever he's making is dangerous and we should stay away," a high pitched, squeaky voice asks cautiously.

"Ah'm sure, ah remember him from when he saved our farm from the timberwolves, he's a nice guy," the voice of Applebloom replies.

I step out of the chassis and head over to the door while Luna continues to mould the titanium into armoured plates. I open the door to see Applebloom with a white unicorn filly and an orange pegasus filly.

"Adam!" Applebloom shouts out when she notices me.

"Hello, Applebloom. Who are these two?" I ask her as the two fillies stare up at me with wide eyes and slack jaws.

"They're mah friends! This here's Sweetie Belle," she says pointing to the white unicorn. "and she's Scootaloo," she tells me pointing to the orange pegasus.

"It is a pleasure to meet you both, but I am currently working on a project that is very dangerous. I must ask you keep away from here as to avoid any potential risks," I tell them.

"Awww, but you look so cool!" Scootaloo says in a tomboyish tone with a pout.

"And I thank you for the compliment, but I still insist you return to Ponyville," I reply.

"OW!" I hear Luna yelp and I look back to see her kick a titanium plate with her prosthetic leg, sending the plate into the wall where it gets stuck.

"As you can see, it is dangerous," I say and look back to the fillies. "If you still wish to see me, I can meet you at the Library tomorrow morning," I tell them.

"Yeah, that's okay. See ya tomorrow, Adam. It was nice meetin' ya!" Scootaloo says and hops onto a wooden scooter with a little red wagon hooked to it which the other two get in.

She puts on a purple helmet and starts flapping her little wings like a hummingbird which launches her down the makeshift path back to town.

I watch until they're out of sight and turn back to Luna. "Are you alright?" I ask her.

She's holding her right foreleg to her chest which has a bruise starting to form on the cannon area. "I'm fine... I just dropped the plate on my leg is all, it will heal in time," she replies.

I scan her leg to ensure it is not broken at least. "I recommend putting some ice on it to reduce the swelling." I suggest to her and head back to the chassis to finish the loading systems welding.

"Very well, I shall be right back," she says and heads into her room.


One Week and Five Days Later


I visited the Library where the fillies asked me many questions about what I am, where I'm from and what I do. After a few hours of talking they thanked me for talking with them and went home where I returned to the workshop to continue my work.

The first Titan Tank is finally completed. It operates at an acceptable efficiency since it's made from titanium and not titansteel, but it should move at least twice as fast due to the lighter weight.

I have altered it from the original design: it has no crew compartment and is completely remote controlled, it is equipped with two one-hundred millimetre guns that can hold up to twenty shells each with two ten-round Hellfire Rocket Pods on the sides of the turret. An automated Gatling Turret identical to my Trailer's sits beside the hatch. I have only managed to create six shells for the main guns so far for testing today.

Twilight's unicorn rifle is coming along well, the prototype is functional but the wooden frame starts to burn after a few shots. I'll have to show her how to make a lightweight heat resistant material to use for the frame later.

Twilight has also told me of a light blue unicorn mare with a silvery mane and tail that has come into town showing off her magic to the ponies of Ponyville. She managed to humiliate Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash before ending her performance. She even boasted on defeating an Ursa Major, a very large two-hundred and fifty foot tall vicious bear that has the appearance of star formations on its hide. The probability of a unicorn untrained for combat defeating such a creature is zero point three percent.


I'm standing by the workshop while Luna is having a great time sitting in the hatch of the Titan Tank as it shreds across the field with Twilight and Celestia sitting beside me with wide eyes.

"This is amazing! Such a large machine with great mobility and speed. It didn't look like it should be moving with such precision while I was watching you build it, I thought it would be slow and cumbersome," Twilight says as she watches the Tank roar past us, kicking up dirt with its tracks.

I activate my radio and contact Luna. "I am beginning the first gun test, Luna. Please return to the workshop as it is too dangerous for you to stay in the hatch," I tell her.

"Awww, do I have to?" she whines, having too much fun.

"I am afraid so," I reply and she grumbles as she flies over to us and lands beside Celestia.

"You know just how to ruin my fun..." she mutters and crosses her forelegs, making Celestia and Twilight giggle.

"That was not my intention," I tell her and look to Celestia. "Is there anything inhabiting that mountain in the distance?" I ask her while pointing to a tall thin mountain.

"No, there was a dragon there before we managed to get it to move, but it is now barren as far as we know," she replies with a raised eyebrow.

"Good," I say and look through the Tank's gun camera. "Target is the tip of the mountain. Calculating trajectory," I say aloud.

Processing...
Calculating distance, wind velocity, gravitational force and shell weight...
Target confirmed, gun ready to fire.

The Tank's turret quickly turns towards the mountain and the guns raise up. "You're aiming for the tip of the mountain!? That's like... twenty miles away!" Twilight says with disbelief.

"Twenty-two point five miles to be exact," I tell her. "You may want to cover your ears. Fire in the hole," I say and fire the guns.

The gun fires with a loud thunderous bang as smoke flows out the barrel and the whistling sound of the shell soaring off into the distance gets quieter as time goes on.

"AAAAAHHH!" the three ponies yelp from the loud noise. A few seconds later, the tip of the mountain explodes in a shower of rock and rubble.

"By my sun..." Celestia says in awe.

Twilight is moving her jaw up and down at a loss for words while Luna is grinning widely and clapping her hooves together.

"Splendid! Such power! The gryphons will be in for a surprise when we begin our march on Gryphonstone," she says and starts hopping in place.

The rest of the evening was spent with the three ponies conversing with each other while I did a complete diagnostic on the Tank for any possible errors or damage from the test.

Loud banging on the main entrance echoes throughout the Workshop and Twilight answers the door.

"Twilight!" Applejack says in distress. "Is the Princesses in there with ya? We got trouble in Ponyville! An Ursa Major is tearing up the town and the guards can't stop it!" she tells Twilight.

Twilight gasps and looks back at us. I process this information, my firearms won't pierce such a creature's hide and I doubt my micro missiles will do much either... I look at the Titan Tank which still has four more shells left.

"An Ursa Major? Even Tia and I cannot battle such a beast easily as they are resistant to magic..." Luna says with worry.

I turn to the ponies and get their attention. "I believe I can handle this, I still have four shells left, they should be enough to bring down the Ursa Major," I tell them.

Luna smiles and points a hoof at me. "Of course! This would be a perfect test to see how well these shells do against a proper target!" she says more excitedly then she should in the situation.

I then turn to Applejack. "Is the town evacuated?" I ask her.

"Uh-huh, the guards are trying to keep it distracted for as long as they can so the townsfolk can get away," she replies.

I hear an earth shaking roar in the direction of Ponyville and don't waste a second more. I jump up and grip the bars infantry would use to hitch a ride onto the side of the Titan Tank and link up to it, I power up its core and the headlights turn on.

The large workshop door raises up and I drive the large Tank out and towards Ponyville. Luna and Celestia are flying behind me as I drive towards Ponyville at thirty miles an hour, even from here I can see the large purple bear swiping at the pegasi guards flying around it.

I stop near the edge of town and aim the guns at the Ursa. "Do I have permission to fire, Celestia?" I ask her.

"Permission granted," she replies sternly, her eyes focused on the Ursa.

After a quick calculation, I fire both barrels and the shells impact the Ursa's chest, leaving a large gaping wound exposing its ribcage and organs. Surprisingly, it's still standing and glares at me before roaring and charging past the guards towards us. I aim the barrels for its head with the last two shells and after calculating for its erratic movement, I fire the last two shots at it.

The shells impact right on its forehead causing its skull to cave in with blood and gore spraying out all over the street and buildings. The large Ursa collapses onto a house, motionless and bleeding profusely where it lays.

I drive the Tank towards the town which barely fits in the streets. I jump down and arm my missile pods and take aim at the motionless Ursa.

After a few minutes of tense waiting, I scan the creature and find no pulse. I deactivate my pods and turn to the alicorns.

"The Ursa Major has been neutralized," I tell them, they look both stunned and afraid.

"What would have been a struggle for us... you accomplish within seconds..." Celestia says as guards surround us and point their weapons at the dead Ursa.

Luna then looks like a child in a toy store. "Truly amazing! I believe that this will even the odds with Jackaal. Let’s make another one!"