• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 2,018 Views, 40 Comments

A Hunt to Remember - REDMAMBA



You are anon, you decided to go out and fill your tag on the last day of hunting season, but what you get isn't the buck of a life time

  • ...
16
 40
 2,018

Fresh Air

Well here you are again… siting in the hospital. Except this time you’re not leaving in handcuffs, so it’s not all bad. Then again… you are sitting in a wheel chair. Twilight wheels you down the hall of the hospital with her friends in tow; you sport a rather unamused look on your face.

You lean to the side a little so you can be heard easier, “I can’t believe that your world and mine have the same policies when it comes to leaving the hospital,” you say.

“You heard the doctor. You have to take it easy,” replies Twilight.

“It’s just a small cut. I could easily walk out of here,” you say in your defense.

“A small cut! Its three inches long and two inches deep!” replies Twilight, "you have eight stiches!"

“Okay so it’s a deep, small cut,” you say knowing full well that this argument is getting nowhere.

The talking between you and Twilight stops as you continue down the hallway. After a couple of seconds you speak up yet again.

Your face perks up, “Hey! Someone wheel me to the stairs I have a stupid idea!” you say with enthusiasm.

“NO! Absolutely not!” replies Twilight.

“Ooooh, suck the fun out of life,” you reply with a smile.

You hear a little bit of giggling behind you. Without looking you assume its Twilights friends.

“If you keep getting hurt like this you’re going to clean out my bit purse,” replies Twilight.

You point a finger to the ceiling, “In my defense I never planned on coming here, and the latest incident saved two lives,” you reply. You put your arm down.

Twilight doesn’t reply, so you decide to be quiet.

After an elevator ride to the first floor and yet another stop at the front desk -thankfully not in cuffs this time- Twilight checks you out. The nurse behind the desk gives you a cane since the injury you sustained isn’t enough to keep you in a wheel chair. You thank her before you leave the hospital with a noticeable limp. But, once again your demeanor changes once you step outside. People continue to give you odd looks here and there, which only forces you to hide behind your collar.

“Now I wish I had died in that fire,” you say to yourself as your eyes dart in every direction.

A hand finds its way to your shoulder, “Hey,” you look at Twilight, “give them time. You’re still new here and most ponies are very weary of strange looking creatures.”

Her hand drops from your shoulder, “Doesn’t help that the last time I walked through town I was in handcuffs,” you say quietly.

“Well you did hurt Nurse Redheart…” Twilight says hesitantly.

“I was bleeding to death! What’d you expect!?” you say harshly.

“Well I-”

“You know what!? Forget it! I don’t want to hear it!” you reply with a loud whisper.

The rest of the walk to the castle was one of anger and awkwardness. It’s only been a few days in this strange land and you have been arrested once, and nearly killed twice, pissed off one princess and probably made another one very sad… yeah life’s great! Didn’t help that Twilight had to speak up about what happened when you would rather forget everything and go home. But it’s best not to let it last long. Once you step inside the castle you limp your way to your room.

Twilight pleaded for you to stay out and apologized multiple times as you walk away, but you just ignore her. After a painful walk up the stairs you walk into your room and slam the door shut. Next you throw your cane across the room where it hits the far wall before falling to the ground.

“GAAAAAAAAAAA! WHY!?” you curse to no one, “why me?” you say as your head goes limp.

You look at the floor for a few seconds before limping over to the bed where you take a seat. With your head hung low you begin to cry. You sit and contemplate more about why you are here. Celestia did say that her and her sister would look for a way to get you home. But how long will that take? A week? A month? A year? By now you know that search and rescue back home has most defiantly found your rig and are probably still searching for you.

Hell you might have even made the paper and the news. But where’s the point in enjoying possible publicity when the title probably says, ‘Local Hunter Missing, Presumed Dead’.

Yeah that’s real enjoyable.

You could always put a bullet in your mouth.

WHAT A TERRIBLE IDEA!!!

Killing your self won’t fix anything! Besides there’s still hope that you can go home. That’ll be fun… walk up to your friend’s house, knock, and when they answer you say, ‘Hey! Look who’s not dead! Sure fooled you didn’t I!?’ That brings a smile to your face. It’s stupid and the media would go insane, but it would be interesting. Then again you might end up in a mental hospital? You shudder at the thought.

But what if you don’t get back?

Sure the lifestyle here is similar to home. The lack of basic technology sucks, but you can make do. You’ve always preferred the simple life anyway. As long as you don’t screw up you could make a life here. Finding a job wouldn’t be to hard… you could probably work for Twilight if anything else. She’s a princess and probably has a stack of paperwork the size of Mount Everest on her desk… right? Although sorting paperwork isn’t the best job you could easily pull it off… right?

Besides if things don’t work out and you can’t get back home… Twilight and her friends are pretty cute. With any luck you could score a girl here! It would be different but you could do it! You decide to keep it in mind for a later date. You guess the best thing to do now would be-

“Anon!?”

You hear Twilight on the other side of your door.

“Yes?”

“Are you okay?”

You didn’t even know how long you had been sulking in your room.

“Uh… yeah,” you stand up and limp you way to the door. Once you reach the door, you open it.

You see Twilight standing there, her ears are folded back against her head and she has sadness in her eyes.

“Are you okay?” she asks again.

“… Yeah, just uh… thinking,” you reply.

“Oh… okay,” she says as she looks away from you.

An awkward silence fills the air.

“It’s getting close to lunch time… and I wanted to see if you wanted something to eat?” she asks, still avoiding eye contact.

“Sure,” you say softly.

“Okay,” she turns away, which makes you feel worse for yelling at her, “I’ll tell the girls,” she starts to walk away.

You let out a depressed sigh as you look at the floor, then her, “Twilight!” you say quickly. She turns and looks at you, “I… I’m sorry for my outburst.”

She looks at you with shaky eyes. A small smile crawls across her face, “Thank you.”

You smile back.

A few seconds pass, “Well what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”

You feel happier, “Let me grab my cane and we can go,” you say as you start to turn away.

“Oh here let me get it!” says a happier Twilight.

You look back at her and watch the horn on top of her head glow purple. Turning the other direction you see your cane float over to you with the same purple aura as her horn. Once it’s in front of you, you take the curved piece of wood and orienting correctly in good your hand.

Twilight turns around and begins to walk down the hall with a little more joy in her step. You follow as best as you can. You aren’t in a full limp but the pain is uncomfortable and slows your pace by half a step. But! You suck it up. After a few minutes you walk into a nearby room. Once you both enter, all Twilights friends stand up.

Immediately skittles, in a blue and rainbow streak shoots toward you. Before your brain processes what happened she’s floating in front of you. Her nose is mere inches from your face.

“You got a lot a nerve walking in here!”

You don’t respond you’re still processing her speed.

“Rainbow!” scolds a female country ascent.

Next thing you know little miss rainbow hair is pulled to the ground, where she lands with a thud and a moan. You look at her then to the orange woman that is standing in front of you. You lock eyes with hers.

And… she… is… pissed.

Hard to believe that a small argument would set them off like this. It would appear that the flashy colors are a lie! Acting quickly you say the first thing that comes to mind.

“You would hit a guy with a cane would you?”

She cracks her neck in front of you.

So the next logical thing to do is run… but how fast can you limp away?

“Quick question? If I started running how much of a head start would you give me?”

She cracks her knuckles, “Yah got three seconds.”

You might as well just fall over dead.

“Girls!”

Thank god.

Wait is this another attempt to hurt you…?

The white girl walks up and stands between you and your assailants. What was her name?

Right! Rarity… honestly how do you forget names that are so out there? Probably the same way you forgot your phone. You quickly grab your pocket to confirm your suspicion.

“Is this really the best way to treat somepony who has been through so much in the last few days?” she asks.

Did she just say, somepony?

“He hurt Twilight! So it’s only logical that we hurt him!” replies… damn rainbow hair… it should be easy!

That comment knocks you out of your thought process.

The rainbow haired girl shoots you a death glare. Reflexively you take a half step back.

“If it’s any consolation I did apologize!” you say in your defense.

Which falls on deaf ears.

“A likely story!” replies… might as well go with Skittles at this point.

You look at Twilight, “Twilight! Any time would be great!”

The real question is why hasn’t she said anything?

She looks at you; you can see the gears in her head turning. She steps forward.

“Girls please he’s telling the truth!”

“Really?” replies the orange and blue girl in unison.

You let out a sigh of relief while multiple thoughts run through you head. One, you’re not dead. Two, why didn’t Twilight say anything from the beginning? And three… well you can’t think of anything else but relief.

“He didn’t mean it,” Twilight looks at you.

You shake your head quickly, “Uh… yeah, it was an accident,” you look at the floor, “I’m sorry it just *sigh* it’s been a very rough few days. I damn near died twice, I’m miles away from home, and everyone back home probably thinks I’m dead.”

You can feel tears in your eyes.

You hear a regret filled sigh from someone. You then feel a hand on your left shoulder. You look up and see… why do you have to be so bad with names!? Orange body, yellow hair and cowboy hat looking at you with saddened eyes.

“I’m sorry partner.”

You smile a little, which causes her to smile back. She removes her hand and takes a step to the side. The rainbow haired girl walks up to you. She’s avoiding eye contact for some reason.

“I… I just want to…”

Why is she so nervous?

She looks at you for a moment, “… Say I’m sorry.” She crosses her arms and looks away, “There I said it!” she looks back at you, “but don’t expect it to be a regular thing!”

You don’t say anything and look at Twilight.

“Well that went better than I expected,” she looks at her friends, “are we ready to go?” They all nod in unison. She looks at you, “You ready?”

“Let me grab my hat and we can get going,” you say.

You aren’t too comfortable with going outside but if this is going to be your life you have to go outside eventually. You limp back upstairs and grab you ball cap and put on top of your head. You walk back downstairs and see Twilight and her friends talking. When you enter the room they look at you and stop talking. Immediately you know what’s going on.

They’re talking about you.

Now that is either good or bad. They could be gossiping about your looks… or… they are planning your murder. You laugh at the second idea and hope for the first. You walk up and join the group.

“Let me guess? You’re talking about me aren’t you?” you ask as nonchalantly as you could. Internally you have a mischievous smile.

“Nope!” replies Twilight with a smile.

Denial… the first step.

“Yeah sure,” you reply knowing full well that she’s lying, “so where are we headed?”

“Sugar Cube Corner of course!” replies Pinkie.

The only way you remembered her name is because she’s pink.

“Okay.”

You look over at your stuff on the nearby chair.

“Let me grab one more thing.”

You shuffle through the group and grab you pistol. You place it on you right thigh and strap it to your belt. Then you grab your magazine pouch and slip it onto you belt. Skittles there had to criticize you for undoing you belt in front of a group of… mares? Then again they do look a lot like horses.

But they aren’t horses?

You stop the biological battle in your head. Once the last strap is tightened you turn back to the group.

“We good?” you ask.

“Yep!” replies Twilight.

She opens the door for her friends. Once they’re outside you follow. Twilight closes the door and follows close behind. Her friends slow down and surround you. Most guys would think that this is the dream… but less than 20 minutes ago two of them wanted you dead. Twilights friends begin to ask about what happened to you.

Well… you tell them.

They all wear a face of shock when you tell them about the wolves and then the fire. After what seemed like a long story and a short walk, you enter into a little bakery. Twilight and her friends grab a large table where you take a seat.

A tall skinny, yellow man walks in and greets everyone. And oddly enough he seems over joyed at what you are. He hands out a few glasses of water and a couple of menus. You peruse through the menu and settle with a grilled cheese sandwich with French fries. Once everyone else has made their choice Twilight decides to ask a few questions.

“So Anon?”

You look at her.

“Maybe you could explain what that thing on your leg is?”

“What? My handgun?” you say as you look at the weapon for a second.

“Handgun?” replies the white girl.

You really need to get better with their names… Rarity right?

“Yeah my handgun…”

Now generally pulling a gun out in public can get you arrested. But! Since you were taken to prison but two men in medieval armor and spears, you could probably get away with this. You grab the weapon and pull it from its holster. You carefully – and safely – hold the weapon up and remove the magazine. You place the mag in your pocket and work the slide.

Good thing you carry it in a cowboy load. So the chamber is empty, but it’s always best to check anyway. You hold the weapon out on the table.

“This is my Colt 1911. It works the same as my rifle,” you mostly look at Twilight during the last half.

“What does it do?” asks the orange girl.

You pull the loaded mag from your pocket, “It fires one of these,” you use your thumb to remove one of the bullets. The small cartridge lands on the table with a thud. You put the mag on the table and pick up the bullet, “this is a .45 caliber round.”

You toss it to her. She catches it and looks at the small piece of lead and brass.

“This don’t look like much,” she says while she looks at you.

“No, but that’s not when it’s moving at twenty-five hundred feet per second.” Little miss rainbow hairs eyes go wide, causing you to chuckle. “That little copper piece there moves faster than the speed of sound and hits like a freight train.”

“Why do you need such a dangerous weapon!?” asks the pink haired girl.

You look at her and shrug, “Protection mainly.”

The bullet gets passed around until you get it back. You put it back in the magazine and slip the magazine into the gun, then the gun to the holster.

“Protection from what?” asks Twilight.

“People that wish to do me harm,” you say, “and dangerous animals,” you shrug your shoulders during the last half.

The waiter walks up and interrupts your little discussion. You thank him and chow down. Twilight and her friends ask you questions about what life is like on your planet. You happily oblige and tell them what you know. Where you’re from, what you do in your pass time, technology and the like. They were all surprised when you said that magic doesn’t exist. Well Twilight wasn’t surprised since you already explained it to her. She seemed to enjoy a laugh at her friend’s expense.

“So who runs the weather?” asks the rainbow haired girl.

Odd question.

“The weather does its own thing, you really can’t control it,” you say as you shake your head side to side lightly.

“What!? That’s… that’s impossible!”

“That’s nature… wait,” you raise an eyebrow, “is weather control a normal thing here?”

“Of course!” replies the rainbow haired girl.

“That’s… strange,” you lean back in your chair, “I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone actually controlling the weather… I mean I’ve heard the conspiracies, but I know they’re all fake.”

The white girl speaks up, “So how do you do anything without magic?”

You look at her before placing your arms on the table, “Gotta coin?"

Author's Note:

Finally sat down and got this done... I think I got it out within the time I promised. Probably not the best one but I got a chapter nonetheless. Hope you're ready to teach a bunch of girls to shoot a gun!