• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 1,699 Views, 15 Comments

Trying Again - Raidah



She screwed up, and she knows it. With the twelve year anniversary of Applejack's parents deaths fast approaching, Rainbow Dash managed to do the absolute worst thing one can do. And now she has to try and make it right.

  • ...
6
 15
 1,699

VI: Acceptance

I watch the ground come and go below me, not flying in any particular direction as I think over what I had promised Applejack I would. I feel like I can't just leave her there, especially when she's still emotionally raw from what I had done. Even if she does forgive me. I think about everything, how I had always tried to avoid the subject of guys whenever Rarity would bring it up, or how almost every guy who asked me out got denied. I don't even know why, I guess I just wasn't that interested. But now that Applejack is opening her heart to me, I feel oddly compelled to go with it. I mean, we are compatible enough. What with our competitive spirits and constant challenges between each other.

She also seems to be the one out of the rest of the girls who can put up with my shit for an extended period of time. I mean, I guess I do brag a lot... not like it isn't true. I am Rainbow Dash after all. But, I mean, I always knew that I'd never be as strong as Applejack, which is a natural fact, but even still. She'd always outdo me on land speed and general strength. Which I can live with, seeing as I'll always be the best flier in Equestria. I could never perform like she does at a rodeo, but that's her forte, not mine.

It feels weird being modest, but I can't help it. I mean, it's true, so why lie about it? I've already learned my lesson several times about biting off more than I can chew. Might as well start keeping it to what I actually can do, which is pretty damn near anything.

I notice myself drawing near the farm, but I don't stop myself. Why should I? She sure as hell has no objection to me being there anymore. I watch as the sun sets on the horizon, and think about how nice it would be to spend the sunset on a cloud with her. Just us, and the beautiful orange sky that manages to pale in comparison to her coat... I'm starting to love her. There's no denying it. I'm starting to fall in love with her. I don't know how I feel about this. I mean, how do I say it? The same way she did? She's already expecting me to come back and tell her my decision, and given what I've only now discovered, I know that I'm going to say that we should take a shot at it. And why not? We're compatible. She's definitely hot enough to catch my eyes when I wasn't sure about it, and now I'm admitting to myself that I do love her. So yeah, I'm gonna go and tell her.

But.

What if I'm just overthinking this? What if I don't and the only reason I think I do is because I want her to be happy? I mean, I don't even know if I'm really, really into mares at this point. For all I know I'm misreading my own thoughts. Wouldn't be much of a surprise. Whatever the case, I may as well try it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as the saying goes.

I glide over the orchard, and eventually find myself directly over the farmhouse. I don't know if I should go to the front door, or surprise her by going to her window. I decide the door is a more reasonable approach, and land a few feet away from it. I make my way over, and gently knock three times. I wait for an answer, and after a short time, Big Mac answers again.

"Evenin', Rainbow Dash," he says, smiling a little. "AJ's upstairs in her room."

"Thanks, Mac," I say as he steps aside to let me pass.

I notice that Granny is nowhere in sight, most likely taking a nap in her room; and Apple Bloom, as far as I know, is having a sleepover with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. I make my way up the stairs, and pause when I approach Applejack's door. This is it, my last chance to decide what happens here tonight. Do I accept my feelings for her sake, or do I do it because I, too, want to be with her? No. There's no questioning it. I want her. I love her. So I'm going to tell her. I take a breath, and knock on her door. And when she opens it, I do the only thing I can think to do...

I kiss her.

Gently, purely, and flat on the lips. As soon as I feel her kissing back, I close my eyes, as she had already done the same. We hold the kiss until our lungs must be screaming for air, and she pulls away first. I know earth ponies have smaller lungs than pegasi. Such is nature since pegasi have the need to hold more air when flying at higher altitudes. As soon as her lips leave mine, she wraps her front legs around me in a tight hug, and I immediately return it, adding my wings to it so I can make as much contact as possible.

"I take that as a yes?" she asks me.

"You know it, AJ," I reply, kissing her forehead as she nuzzles into the crook of my neck.

We sit and hold each other for a while before moving into her room and laying down together, her body against mine as I hold her close. And I'll be damned if I say I'm not enjoying every second of it. I really do love her. There's no questioning it, and I have no reason to deny it. This is perfect, just me and her. I'm happy, and I can clearly tell that she is, too. So long as she's happy, so am I.

"I... I love ya, RD," she whispers quietly, and I tighten my hold on her.

"I love you too, AJ... I think I always have..." and that might as well be true. Thinking about it, I have but I just never knew it. And I think she knows that, too.

All is fine. Nothing can go wrong now. I'm never going to hurt her again. Ever.

Author's Note:

Aaaaaaannnnnnnddddddddd it's done! Adorable finales ftw!