• Published 13th Dec 2015
  • 1,699 Views, 15 Comments

Trying Again - Raidah



She screwed up, and she knows it. With the twelve year anniversary of Applejack's parents deaths fast approaching, Rainbow Dash managed to do the absolute worst thing one can do. And now she has to try and make it right.

  • ...
6
 15
 1,699

IV: Reconciliation

The few days since I've gotten Applejack to give me another shot were filled with doing whatever she wanted to do. I helped with the farm, among other things. And let me tell you that the work she had in store for me was not meant for a Pegasus to carry out. Earth ponies have stronger frames and are naturally more muscular than unicorns and pegasi, and therefore can endure more strain and hard work. Being on the lowest end of leg strength (though I'm anything but weak, I'm too awesome for that) I had a bit of a difficult time with it. Not like I complained. If it took hard work to get her to forgive me, I'd endure it all.

Another thing that seemed to be happening while making amends was that we were getting closer. And I mean, we were saying things we never really said before. I guess that's what happens when you spend all your time with someone, especially an old friend. But I had no idea that she had a soft spot for flowers or that she thought Rarity and Fluttershy might make a good couple. And, after thinking about it for a while, I started to agree with that. Whether either of them is into girls is another matter, but they'd still be cute.

Then the day I had been secretly dreading over the two weeks of fixing friendships came. The day that meant the ultimate test for me to let her know how sorry I was... the anniversary of her parents' deaths. I never knew how they died, but I know they died together. It's kinda romantically tragic that they died at the same time. Like one couldn't go on without the other or something. They were buried side by side in the orchard, two simple wooden crosses marking their graves next to a large apple tree. I stand beside Applejack, with Mac, Apple Bloom and Granny Smith taking up the other side of her. All of them look saddened beyond regular grief. I don't understand much, but some people have different ways of dealing with grief than others, and I don't intend on judging. Not now, not ever.

We are silent for what feels like hours, no one moving an inch as all heads but mine are turned downward. I remain respectfully silent, not wanting to interrupt any thoughts that may be going through their minds. All that changes when I hear a slight sniffle to my right. I turn my head and see that Applejack, the toughest pony I know, is crying. I slowly unfurl my wing and wrap it around her, pulling her a little closer and gaining a questioning look from her. In response I simply use my other wing to wipe some of her tears away, and then she looks away and continues to quietly cry. But she doesn't leave the cover of my wing, which makes me feel a little bit better.

After a while, and the family leaving one by one, it's just me and Applejack left by the graves and tree. I don't know why, but I like being alone with her. I feel like I can be myself a little more when it's just us. I don't say anything, though. It's not the time or place. I tighten my wing around her, and she looks at me again, sounding and looking cried out. I use my feathers to gently brush away the final remnants of her tears, and hug her tightly. She returns the embrace, burying her face in the crook of my neck as I gently stroke her mane and back. It feels so weird, but so right... and I don't want it to end. I don't know why, but it feels nice to hold her close like this, even if the circumstances are less than happy.

We eventually separate, and she gives me a sad smile. "Thanks, RD," she says, a little shaky, and I nod.

"It's what friends are for," I reply, and she nods a little.

"I... I'm startin' to forgive ya," she says.

"Are you?" I ask, a little surprised.

She nods. "I know you didn't mean it, Rainbow. I did ever since ya said it," she says. "I just... needed time to get over it, and you bein' here helped with that."

I smile a little. "Well, I'm glad I could prove myself."

She nods a little, then leans forward and gives me a gentle nuzzle. Just her cheek brushing against mine, but it still makes my ears and cheeks burn. Why does that feel so good? And why do I want more?!

I return the gesture of... affection? Friendship? whatever it is, and she smiles at me.

"I could never stay mad at ya for too long, Dash," she says with that same smile, and I think her cheeks are turning a little red. "I always liked ya too much."

"Well, that's good," I say. "And how couldn't you? I'm awesome."

She chuckles a little, shaking her head slightly. "Ya sure are, Rainbow."

We leave the grave site together, but not before she shows me something. Engraved on the tree is a heart with two initials inside it, and she told me it was her parents who did it. I smile a little and nod as she tells me their story. From meeting in a rainstorm to continuing the family tradition on the farm. I listened the whole time, not wanting to miss a word she said. I felt I owed it to her to at least hear their story.

When she finished, we continued on to the farmhouse, and went inside. Currently we sit in her room, just talking about random subjects. It feels nice to be able to talk about something other than how sorry I am or how much I'll do to make it up to her. We've done plenty of that and now I think she just wants to be what we were; best friends. At least, that's what it feels like.

I occasionally catch her taking glimpses at me out of the corner of her eye, and I don't know what I see in her gaze, but it makes me feel both warm and fuzzy, and also uncomfortable at the same time. It feels... weird, but I like it. I guess she really does forgive me. Which makes my heart soar. I want nothing more than to fix everything one-hundred-percent. It feels like I might have already, but I still want to try. I don't know why, but I need to hear her say the exact words. It'll make me feel at ease in her presence again, and I won't feel like she's just pretending. We spend a good five hours just taking, the moon high in the sky as we converse. Then she stands up.

"How 'bout we take a walk through the orchards?"

"Whoa, at night? This late?" I stammer. "Are you sure?"

"What, scared?" she challenges me, a slight smirk on her face.

"Hell no," I say, standing up and puffing my chest.

"Alright then, first to the barn sleeps in tomorrow," she raises an eyebrow, knowing I can't turn down a challenge.

"You're on," I say, bolting through the door with her on my tail.

Author's Note:

Slow burn, but it's speeding up. I'm honestly kind of excited for the next chapter because that's when things really start surfacing~