• Published 10th Dec 2015
  • 779 Views, 12 Comments

Sunset: Vignettes - Milliardo5

  • ...
1
 12
 779

III. Making It All Work Out

Sunset wasn’t sure what she’s doing wrong. Although she started a strength training program, she can’t seem to really get into it, or kept on forgetting to somehow work out. She knew something was wrong somewhere.

“Maybe you should have a schedule, dear”, Rarity suggested over at lunch in Canterlot High. “It will help if you have a regular schedule for your workouts.”

“I know”, Sunset said. “I try to get it to fit into my schedule, but it seems I have been doing too many things to get around to it.”

“Maybe what you need is a little motivation”, Rainbow Dash said.

“Oh boy, here we go…” Rarity muttered.

“Hey, I’m the sporty one around here!” Rainbow Dash objected.

“Maybe you can help”, Sunset said, brightening up a bit.

“When did you buy your equipment again?” Rainbow Dash asked her.
“It’s been a month ago”, replied Sunset.

“Maybe what you also need is variety”, Applejack added.

“Yeah, maybe I do…” Sunset wasn’t too sure about that yet, since she was just starting, but clearly she needed to have a more firm and consistent schedule if she would achieve something.

“I can probably help out this Saturday”, Rainbow Dash volunteered.

“That would be great”, Sunset agree, and they set Saturday morning for Rainbow Dash to come over and workout with them.



Later, when she and Sonata got home, Sunset changed to her workout clothes and went out to the backyard. Though she already had scheduled for a training session with Rainbow Dash, she wasn’t about to give up just yet to see if she could do it on her own. Sonata followed her out on the yard. The afternoon was just giving way to the evening, and they had turned on the lights on the yard.

Sunset looked at the bench and barbell on it. She knew that she had to do it. She started some warm-up movements for a few minutes. Sonata got a chair and sat, just watching her. After a few minutes, Sunset felt she’s finally prepared, then got to the bench and began one set of bench presses. She knew that she could do it. She somehow needed a motivation to do so. As she worked out, she also thought what could possibly be a good motivation to exercise, apart from getting healthy.

Maybe by Saturday I’ll find out, she thought as she finished her training for the day. She sat on the bench, tired but otherwise feeling better. She knew that working out had a good effect on her, but she also knew that she needed to find how to keep on doing it on a more regular basis. She looked forward to the workout session with Rainbow Dash as Sonata got ready to do her workout as well.



That Saturday morning, Sunset got up early. At first she thought of going out for a walk that morning, but then decided to do it in the afternoon instead so she can have the strength she will need for the workout with Rainbow Dash. Sonata was just as excited about the workout, knowing that Rainbow Dash is very much active and can give a new perspective to working out. A few more minutes went by before Rainbow Dash arrived, wearing her workout outfit.

Rainbow Dash wore a blue sleeveless shirt and cycling shorts. She waved at Sonata, who greeted her at the door. Sunset looked up when she saw her come in.

“Well, let’s get this workout going!” Rainbow Dash said energetically.

“The equipment is at the yard”, Sunset said, leading her to the back. Sonata followed behind closely. When Rainbow Dash saw it, she gasped with delight.

“Now, this is what I call a gym!” she gushed as she went over them. “We really should get this at home.” Sunset smiled as Rainbow Dash went and looked at what she had.

“Well, looks like I’m gonna enjoy working out here!” Rainbow Dash finally said after she finished inspecting the equipment.

“So, should we start now?” Sunset asked?

“Absolutely!” declared Rainbow Dash. They started off with a few warm-up exercises before finally heading to the bench.

“I always start off with the bench press”, Rainbow Dash said as she looked over at some of the plates before choosing the weight she would do for the day.

“I also do that”, Sunset simply said.

“That’s good”, Rainbow Dash said with approval. “Nice to start off with a power move to get things going”, she continued as she lay down and slid under the bar. Her expression changed as she began to concentrate, then started to do some presses. After she was done, Sunset followed, taking off some plates to adjust to the weight she can handle, then after she was through Sonata followed. For all the exercises they followed that order, with Rainbow Dash leading off and then Sunset, with Sonata last.

The workout session took over an hour since there were three of them doing it. At some points Rainbow Dash would explain for a bit what she would do before they would do the exercise. After they were done with the session, they sat around in the gym.

“So what’s the problem with your workout?” she asked while they rested.

“I can’t seem to find the right motivation for it”, Sunset admitted.

“Well, there are ways to get motivated”, Rainbow Dash explained. “One way is to have music, if that wouldn’t distract you. Try to get something that would get you into the mood to workout, as well as let you continue working out. Or you could find some videos to watch that might inspire you.”

“Hhmm—I never really thought of those”, Sunset said.

“I think you’ll get it. Another way to be motivated is to have goals”, Rainbow Dash added.

“I already have some goals”, Sunset replied.

“But it shouldn’t be too hard or almost impossible”, Rainbow Dash said, “or you’ll just as quickly lose inspiration if it’s too hard to get to.”
“I think I’ll remember that”, Sunset noted.

“Sure you will”, Rainbow Dash said proudly, “because I taught you that.”

“Thanks for helping me out”, Sunset said after they have been rested enough.

“No problem”, Rainbow Dash said. “I might come here more often, if we don’t buy gym equipment as well.”

“Maybe you might get one soon”, Sonata said.

“Well…I don’t know really”, Rainbow Dash said, her expression changing a bit. “My dad never really bought me much…” her voice trailed off then, but she quickly changed her mood once more. “Well, I gotta go now! See you all Monday!” She then waved at them as she headed out the door.



Sunset went for her walk that afternoon. She and Sonata had just cleaned the house, as they usually do on Saturday afternoon. Having done what they could for the day, they decided to unwind. Sonata watched television in her room. Sunset called out to her that she would be taking a walk, then she proceeded to go to the park.

Just like when she took a walk a few weeks back, that Saturday was cool. There were a few people out of their houses, with some children playing on their yards. She quickened her pace to a brisk walk, so as to make it more of an exercise than a leisurely walk.

When she got to the park, she went to one of the benches under the tree and just sat there. She knew that she would have to do more if she would like to get in shape, and she resolved to do something about getting more motivation.

Maybe music will help, she said to herself as she thought of Rainbow Dash’s advice. After a few more minutes, she got up and was about to go home when she saw Annunciation of the Theotokos Orthodox Church nearby. She remembered there was Vespers that afternoon, and decided to head there and check it out again.

When she got to the church, she went in and sat down near the spot where she sat the first time she entered it. She was early again, she decided, as the place was still empty. She wasn’t even sure why she’s there, but after what she experienced the first time she was there, she wanted to see more of it. She just sat there as before, waiting for Vespers to start.

“Looks like you’re early again”, a voice said. She recognized it, and turned to see Jean Paul Valley looking at her with a smile.

“Well, I decided to go here again after taking a walk”, Sunset explained. Jean Paul sat next to her.

“You don’t seem to walk much often though”, he observed. Sunset shook her head.

“I’m trying to get the motivation to exercise”, she admitted after a few seconds. Jean Paul looked at her, assessing the situation before finally speaking up.

“Maybe I can help”, he offered. Sunset looked at him with a questioning gaze. “I also workout, so maybe I can help you out some more.” Sunset was just silent, unsure of what to say. Jean Paul then continued with what he was trying to say.

“How do you exercise? Do you have equipment, or go to a gym?” he asked her.

“I have my own gym at home…” she said, letting her voice trail off. He nodded in understanding.

“I know how it is to train at home”, he said. “It is not easy to be motivated at home, with so many distractions, but it can be done if you will focus.” With what he said, something clicked with Sunset.

Of course, I need to focus on it, she realized. She had always been focused in whatever she did, but it seemed that this is one thing that eluded her in getting fit. Now she can see why she couldn’t get properly motivated.

“I think I finally got the answer to my workout”, she said to him.

“That’s good”, he said with a nod. “Have you also considered adding some type of martial arts into your training?” She again shook her head.

“I’m full with my schedule as it is”, she said. “I have enough to do for school, and then I have this writing job as well.” Jean Paul took out his wallet and handed to her his card.

“If you need to have more training, I’d be willing to help”, he said. “Just think about it, then if you’re ready, just send me a message or give me a call.” Sunset looked over the card, then nodded and kept it.

“Christmas is coming soon”, Jean Paul remarked, changing the subject.

That’s right, Sunset remembered. There would be a Christmas party at Canterlot High. I need to prepare for it.

“It will be coming in a few weeks”, Sunset said.

“Have you done anything to prepare for it?’ he asked her.

“Well, we will have to decorate the house soon, and prepare also for the party at our school”, she answered.

“I see…” was the only cryptic remark by Jean Paul. Sunset waited for him to say more, but he didn’t add anything for a little while.

“I think we have a lot to talk about”, he finally said. “But we’ll have to do it slowly. Just see how the martial arts training sounds, then we can go on from there.” Sunset didn’t know what he was referring, but she didn’t bother to ask him anymore. Somehow, by how he said it, it’s as if there’s more to it than what he’s letting on, but she didn’t want to know about it yet somehow.



Later, on her walk home, she thought about the coming Christmas party. She didn’t have much talk with Jean Paul after Vespers, though she did had a short chat with Fr. Rodian after it. Her mind though was more focused on the party, and what would happen there. She began to get excited just thinking about it, as she quickened her pace to get home and have dinner with Sonata.