• Published 5th Apr 2016
  • 2,765 Views, 38 Comments

Shift in Spectrum - Superdale33



Rainbow arrives in a wasteland governed by the mad. Max finds her on the road, asleep and vulnerable. Quickly, a violent gang sweep them into danger, and both have to work together. Neither of them are happy about it. A Mad Max crossover.

  • ...
2
 38
 2,765

7 - Stormed by Humanity

The wind howled and brushed past Rainbow Dash in a blitz of gusts. Slivers of sand and dust beat against her fur and gave a preview of what was to come. She closed her eyes, turning away from the sandstorm responsible. It loomed over her like death itself, the sun already fading from view as the dense clouds of sand blocked it. Rainbow opened her eyes a smidge, peeking at the sandstorm - monstrous and threatening - before flicking her gaze to Max. He hadn’t moved since she had seen him there, lying on the ground. Her expression softened into guilt, a low whine escaping her lips.

“Jerk…” she said, lifting up a wing to protect her face from the gull forces. She suddenly coughed hard, nearly falling down as she covered her mouth with the crook of her foreleg. Her guilt evolved into panic as she stepped away from Max, her breathing erratic as she coughed again. Her eyes lingered on the cliff wall; it was high and held no sanctuary. Fidgeting, she trotted a ways down, until she spotted a crevice - a fissure carved into the cliff wall at least fifty meters away

She stared at the opening, titling her head back and forth in thought before shaking it off. Her wings flared and she flew fast enough to push against the wind towards Max. The sandstorm was nearly upon them, like a moving wall with the intent to envelop them. Her mouth clamped onto one of Max’s sleeves, and she whined, her eyes bulging as she nearly gagged. She groaned as she bore her teeth, tugging on his arm and dragging him through the sand. She moved a few meters before the sandstorm hit.

Their whole world was replaced with raw power; wind whipped around, howling in her ear as sand ground against their fur and skin. The area was tinged in a rustic color, shifting and morphing around Rainbow. Her eyes burned, her throat was scratchy, she heaved and coughed, but through it all, she never let go of Max.

Despite the hellscape surrounding them, Rainbow was able to squint her eyes at the cliff wall that still remained. The only solid surface besides the ground she stood upon. There was no change, no difference on the wall as she continued. The wind blew in all directions, like the hurricanes she was all too familiar with. Her eyes broke away from the cliff to linger on her wings as they twitched. Giving a big tug, she opened them and pushed herself back. By positioning her wings, she got the most out of the wild gusts, while angling them to negate any unwanted winds.

The crevice revealed itself through the billowing sand. A dark cave laid in wait with its inky blackness shrouding the contents within, hiding it from Rainbow. She only gave it a glance before changing direction, dragging Max through the narrow opening. The ground became hard stone. Her fur was still and flat, though far more beige than before. A sigh escaped her lips as the relentless howling was hushed instantly, and grew quieter as she pulled Max further inside. The cave moaned from the wind licking against the opening as the few rays of light filtered into the cave to shine on Rainbow and Max. Everything around them was darkness.

Rainbow spit out Max’s sleeve, coughing and hacking hard. So hard, she fell to the floor, a puff of dust arising from her fur. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she gasped for air, pounding a hoof. When she finally settled down, she remained there on the ground, giving sputters of a cough every so often as her eyelids were closed. Her body quivered, and every movement was slow and weak.

“Jerk,” she said, her voice raspy and forced, almost like her very life was inching away from her. “Are you… are you alive?”

Silence; Max was as still as a statue.

Rainbow lifted her head, wincing as she used a foreleg to steady herself. Though her voice was faint, she didn’t let up, “I wondered how you live the way you do, threatening and… k-killing people all the time. But if you have to survive through something like… that.” She made a merger gesture to the cave entrance, the sand still whipping around outside. “I just… I really don’t know everything about you.”

Another cough threw her head back to the ground. Her breathing more desperate than before. “I hate this place,” she grumbled, “but I’m sorry, okay?”

The moan of the cave was all that was heard. “Jerk? Can you hear me? I said I’m sorry. Please, say something…”


You said you’d watch her! Where is she?

Several hooves were beating against Max’s chest. He couldn’t breathe, his body was rigid.

You kill all of them and don’t feel a thing?!

In a flash, Max sat up with fist poised to strike. His wide eyes hastily scanned the dark interior of the cave, the light from the entrance still streaming through and projecting on himself. Then, he burst out coughing, sending him to his side as he rested on his hands and knees. And to top it off, gasping, Max wrapped an arm around his waist. His hands tightened on his jacket as he hissed in pain.

Even after his coughing fit, Max remained on the ground, simply breathing in and out. The light was tainted by the dust floating around in the air, filtering it through like a transparent object. It distracted Max a moment as he sat back down, wiping a hand against his mouth. Shaking his head, he slowly examined the area, until his gaze landed on the prone form of Rainbow Dash, unconscious.

Max growled at the sight of her, waving a hand at her dismissively until he looked through the crevice leading outside. The sandstorm still clouded everything, and though it wasn’t nearly as intense, it was still too thick to see through. Max stared out into the ravaged land, stoic as ever, but gradually, a faint smile emerged.

It lasted a few seconds before the silhouettes of two figures were walking through the sandstorm to the cave entrance, both with their hands set at their sides like there wasn’t sand whipping against them. Grunting, Max jumped to his feet, cradling his waist as he shuffled to the side of the crevice. He didn’t press himself against it like back at Greenhorn’s abode, but did pull out his shotgun, opening it up to find two shotgun shells. His gaze shifted to Rainbow Dash, watching her rest, breathing gently and without a care.

A silent sigh escaped his lips as voices echoed through the cave, courtesy of the two men approaching. The howling wind and low moan it created hid their words, but as they grew closer, it didn’t take long for Max to pick up on their conversation.

“You know, it feels kind of pointless having gas masks if our Atives can’t drive in a sandstorm,” one man spoke, the voice familiar enough for Max to raise a brow. Blucifer.

“Oh, do enlighten me,” another voice spoke, just as familiar, only it made Max narrow his eyes. Redding. With a final glance to Rainbow, Max closed his shotgun, eliciting a quiet click, before he turned it over to grip the barrel. “Would you want to walk without a gas mask? Please, take it off if you’d rather breath sand!”

Blucifer grumbled, “Maybe the Atives just don’t like your attitude.”

With his makeshift club held high, Max waited as the first man made his way through the entrance, hands clamping on the rocks for support. As soon as a head poked through, casting a shadow onto the cave floor, Max hit him with the handle of his shotgun. The stranger garbed in brown fell to the floor without much struggle.

“Ah!” the Blucifer bellowed, running through with a pistol in hand. “Redding!”

Max took another swing, aiming for Blucifer, but missed just as he stumbled inside. He pulled himself together, crouched down slightly with the pistol pointed at Max. It made him freeze with the shotgun still in hand. Blucifer backpedaled to stand by Redding’s side, lowering himself to shake him.

“Brother, you didn’t die, did you?” he questioned, though there wasn’t much worry in his tone. “Does that mean I get all your koobs?”

The very mention of the last word, got Redding to spring up, albeit awkwardly, staring directly into Blucifer’s eyes, “I thought we discussed this.”

“What? We did no-” Blucifer started before Max tackled him to the floor. Pressing his knees against his chest, Max grasped the hand with the pistol, slamming it repeatedly against the floor, Blucifer crying out all the while. Eventually, he dropped his pistol, which was quickly picked up in a blur of blue and rainbow. Max didn’t get a chance to register the act before Redding kicked him in the side, sending him sprawling to the floor.

Rainbow flew in from the side with the pistol between her teeth, landing to stand protectively in front of Max. Her glare pierced Redding as he hesitated in another attack. The pause allowed Blucifer to stand back up, his legs wobbly.

“It’s the ugly bird,” he whispered to Redding, though it was loud enough for everyone to hear. “Remember? The one who-”

“Yes, I remember, idiot,” Redding snapped, slightly loud and still unsecretive. A stalemate ensued in which the only person to move was Max, pushing himself back up with his hand still supporting his waist.

“Give me the gun, Dash,” Max ordered gruffly, holding out his hand. His eyes were trained on Redding and Blucifer, his expression hard. Rainbow glanced up to him, saddened, before she closed her eyes.

“Mo,” she said, muffled by the pistol in her mouth. She spit it onto the ground as Max furrowed his brow at her, but she didn’t look to him, but rather to Redding and Blucifer. “I’m willing to follow your instructions, Jerk. You’re trying to stay alive and get me home. And I appreciate it. A lot, actually. But if we have a chance to spare someone, I want us to take it.”

“I agree with her,” Blucifer spoke up with a finger in the air. “Mostly because I end up living in the end.”

“Ten koops say we get shot anyway,” Redding muttered, rubbing his forehead. Rainbow shook her head slowly, but was too late to do anything as Max swooped down and grabbed the pistol, holding it up. He didn’t aim it at Blucifer and Redding, who flinched as his actions as much as Rainbow did.

“Jerk…” Rainbow warned, her tone heavy with more worry than anger. Even her eyes pleaded to him, but Max kept his gaze trained on the pistol, examining it. Before long, he stared across to Blucifer and Redding, pointing the pistol upwards, and pulling the trigger. A metallic click was heard, but no bullet was fired.

There was a long pause, the moaning from the cave entrance louder than before.

“Blucifer,” Redding said lowly, turning to him, “did you reload my pistol like I told you?”

Blucifer faced the ground a moment before looking to Redding, “...Yes.”

“You liar!” Redding declared, jabbing a finger into Blucifer’s chest. Rainbow sighed in relief as Max flipped the pistol in his hand and holstered it under his belt. “How many times do I tell you to keep our guns loaded?!”

“You do realize you owe me ten koobs because of that, right?” Blucifer reminded.

“And now you know why I’m angry,” Redding huffed, crossing his arms as he turned away from him. Rainbow rolled her eyes as Max stood at the entrance, the sandstorm still inense.

“Hey, you two,” Max called, knocking them out of their argument to focus on Max, “you’re going to help us.”

“You don't really have a reason to tell us what to do,” Redding replied hotly, arms still crossed.

Rainbow hovered in the air, floating close to him with a smirk, “I’d listen to him. He knows what he’s doing.”

“He did outsmart us last time,” Blucifer concurred. “And the ugly bird did stop him from killing us. Sort of.”

Rainbow was stuck between a beaming smile and annoyance. Redding sighed, wincing as he rubbed his head again.

“Fine,” Redding said. “What do we gotta do?”

Max pointed to the sandstorm, angling his arm to the side, “The Black on Black. It needs fixing.”

Redding and Blucifer glanced to each other, before the latter stepped up. Rainbow followed beside him, still in the air. “We’re no Black Thumbs,” Blucifer admitted, “but we do know a thing or two about fixing cars.”

“We’ll need to swing by our brother’s place to pick up some tools first,” Redding added with a shrug. “After the storm dies down, of course.”

“Your brother’s?” Rainbow questioned, flying in front of them. Her eyes shifted between the two of them before remaining on Blucifer. There wasn’t much difference between them; their clothing and gas mask were identical. Except for their height - Redding was slightly taller - they were indistinguishable from each other.

“Yeah,” Blucifer nodded rapidly. “Greenhorn. He doesn’t live with us, so we visit him once in awhile.”

“Greenhorn!?” Rainbow blurted, her mouth agape.


The calm in the wasteland was unlike any other after a sandstorm. Not a hint of a breeze would brush against the cliff. The sands were still. The world was in a perpetual pause. Even as Max trudged along, not a sound was heard besides his steps on the sand. Rainbow followed silently in the air as they came over the newly formed hill of sand to find the Interceptor. It was half buried and still on it’s side. The storm had covered several of the broken components. Some of the scattered remains poked out in places, but most were completely gone.

“Definitely a fixer-upper,” Rainbow noted with a nod, setting down near a metal rod poking out of the sand. “You think we can get it up and working?”

“It’s gone through worse,” Max explained, but didn’t go much further than that. Engines rumbled behind them, and just as they turned around, Redding and Blucifer rolled up on their ATV’s. They drove around them and made their way to the front of the Interceptor, parking side by side with the car behind them.

“That should do it,” Redding said, hopping off with Blucifer and grabbing a pile of chains from the back. He looped it around his arm as Blucifer grabbed one end, bringing it to the Interceptor as it rattled around.

“We should be able to drag this thing back to our home, no problem,” he stated rather blatantly. Rainbow looked to Max and he did the same, both sharing an expression of confusion. After wrapping the chain around the front bumper, Blucifer tugged a bit and walked back to the ATV’s. “Well, if the wheels still work.”

“I bet five koobs we’ll meet trouble on our way there,” Redding said, his arms busy pulling out more of the chain.

“You’re on,” Blucifer agreed, tying down his end of the chain onto a metal bar. It was attached to his blue ATV, sitting just by the exhaust pipe in the back.

Rainbow trotted to the Interceptor, digging through the sand to expose part of a joint. The car was at least a half meter deep. Max walked up to the Interceptor too, brushing sweat from his forehead as he knelt down. Piles of sand had pooled inside, dirtying the grease where metal ground against metal. Oil also dripped from a few tubes.

Max swabbed a bit of grease with his finger, the sand clearly visible with the oil as he rubbed it between his fingers. It was grimy and rough, and Max hummed as he wiped it on his pants.

“This’ll take time,” Max mused, standing to his feet and resting a hand on the door. Rainbow heaved a heavy sigh, staring into the inner workings of the vehicle.

“Then we’d better hurry,” she said. Max flickered his gaze to her. “No telling where those Black Cloud guys could end up.”


Their speed wasn’t exactly fast, but they were making headway back to Greenhorn. Redding and Blucifer, driving their ATV’s, towed the Interceptor, following the cliff wall away from Pillar’s Rock. Max sat in the Interceptor with his hands on the wheel, keeping the car steady as they moved along. Their pace was slow, compared to how Max usually drove. Even the gas indicator showed he still had little less than half remaining.

He looked to a gas barrel in the back, a gnarly hole still exposed on its side, “Hope they have fuel.”

“So you can take that too?” Rainbow snapped, sitting up high, eyes piercing his own. Max just had to stare at her for a moment before she fidgeted, groaning. “Sorry. It’s just… just this heat.”

Max gazed at her for a while longer, softening his expression before focusing ahead, “If you have somethin’ to say, now’s a good time to say it.”

Blucifer and Redding were far enough away to miss what they said, and once they got to their destination, they would all be busy getting the Interceptor running again. Even still, Rainbow hesitated, looking everywhere but at Max. He looked to her expectantly with slightly bemused expression.

“I don’t like you,” Rainbow stated blatantly, earning a quick chuckle from Max. “You kill others, you only care what you get out of something, and you don’t even share your name.”

A lull in the conversation made Max close his eyes for a moment, waiting. His ears perked when he heard shuffling beside him. Rainbow had sat herself back down, but was still stern, almost piercing the side of Max’s head.

“But you still help people,” Rainbow continued. “Something inside of you still cares about that. You wouldn’t have kept me around after… what happened at Pillar’s Rock. You had a plan, and I ignored it. So I’m willing to do what you tell me to do. And the least you can do is stop killing others.”

“No promises,” Max replied with a shrug. He was almost indifferent from the way he behaved, but his muscles were loose and he was more at ease. Rainbow shook her head, before nudging it at Blucifer and Redding.

“Just don’t hurt those guys,” she stated. “They might have tried to kill us, but… if they’re related to Greenhorn, they can’t be all bad.”

“Right,” Max said, a tinge of somber in his voice. The tone made one of Rainbow’s ears twitch. Rushing wind filled the void of silence as Rainbow and Max looked ahead, Blucifer and Redding pulling the Interceptor up a slope.

“So, I’m not the only one surprised they’re related to Greenhorn, am I?” Rainbow questioned, scratching her chest with a hoof, smiling nervously. “I feel kind of stupid.”

Max didn’t respond, but smirked instead.


The staring match between Blucifer and Redding was hard and intense. Though they had their gas masks on, it couldn’t be denied their absolute concentration on each other, barely moving as they sat on chests across from each other. Stacks of books surrounded them in the tunnel of Greenhorn’s home, still dimly lit by the few lamps around.

Rainbow stood with Max to her left and Greenhorn to her right, simply watching them. Amongst them, Rainbow was the most confused, furrowing her brow in disbelief as she looked between Blucifer and Redding. Finally, Redding relented as he sighed and reached down with five books in hand.

“There, five koobs,” he said stiltedly. Blucifer snatched the books out of hand, shuffling them in his fingers eagerly before setting them with the books he was near.

“And the bet with the gun?” Blucifer reminded, rolling his hand in anticipation. “That’s one you can’t’ve forgotten.”

Another staring match, to which Rainbow groaned loudly, slapping a hoof to her forehead.

“These bozos are wasting time,” she grumbled before looking to Greenhorn. “Can’t you tell them to hurry it up?”

“How can I?” Greenhorn questioned exasperatedly, yet patiently. “I don’t keep track of their bets. They have to remember on their own.”

“Dash is right,” Max added, crossing his arms. “No tellin’ where the Black Clouds’ll end up. We gotta get movin’.”

Technically,” Blucifer emphasised, using one finger on each hand for air quotes. “we have plenty of time. Pillar’s Rock is where their oil pump is. They’re not going very far from it.”

Greenhorn adjusted his glasses, “Regardless, it’s not a good idea to keep the Road Warrior waiting.”

“Road Warrior?” Redding asked, sitting up as if something had struck him. “Who’s that?”

Greenhorn balked, aghast at his words. With palms out, he gestured to the two sitting there as he looked to Rainbow. “This is what I have to deal with,” he stated lightly. “I tell them all these relevant stories and they just cause problems.”

Technically,” Redding emphasised, using one finger on each hand for air quotes. “we’re not even here often enough to be a problem.”

“Wow,” Rainbow blinked. “You must say that word a lot. Like, more than Twilight would.”

Max shook his head before pointing to Blucifer and Redding, “You finished?”

“Gah, ten koobs,” Redding relented, sliding a pile of books, lying about haphazardly, to Blucifer, who jumped down from his seat to pool them together with his arms like a bunch of poker chips.

“Now we’re good!” he called, setting his winnings to the side of tunnel. Rainbow turned to leave, but glanced to the stack of books on each side. Neither had more or less books, based on appearances. Though the number of each stack varied widely, it was difficult to see which side was bigger than the other.

“So, who’s winning?” she inquired. Blucifer tilted his head before looking at his pile. Redding just looked to him.

“Why does there have to be a winner?” Blucifer asked back, startling Rainbow. A competitive smile came to her and she opened her mouth to speak. Greenhorn caught a glimpse of her and interrupted before she could say a word.

“In a world like this, Rainbow,” he said, “they try to enjoy what little friendly competition they can get.”

“Don’t make it sound weird,” Redding scowled, standing to his feet with Blucifer. “Let’s go before that guy there pulls a gun on us.”


The garage Blucifer and Redding resided in was an old gas station. The wear and tear of time had put everything to shambles. The gas pumps were completely gone and the roof over them had collapsed down the middle, giving it a V-shape when viewed at the right angle. A large sign, the only thing still standing besides the building, was rusted brown with the prices spray painted over with a simple message: NO GAS.

From where Rainbow sat, outside of the garage, leaning against the wall, all of this was on display. The remnants of a ruined world seen from a small area; the idea that the world was once alive replaced with the hollow shell of its former self. The stars, however, were untouched, and stood out brightly in the night sky. Rainbow was in a state of awe at the countless number above.

A loud clunk from within the garage pulled her back down, and the suppressed cursing made her roll her eyes.

“I thought it was good to go,” Blucifer admitted feebly, a wrench in hand.

“It’s good to go when the damn thing is running!” Redding snapped, snatching the wrench out of his hand. “Just… just warn me next time, okay?”

“Yeah, right, sure,” Blucifer answered hurriedly, relieved. He lifted the hood of the Interceptor, and their voices lowered to near whispers, calling out tools and instructions. Cranks and clicks filled the air, which Rainbow took in with a deep breath.

“Sandstorms may come in hard and fast,” Greenhorn said, stepping through the open doorway of the gas station, “but they leave behind a sense of calm.”

Rainbow shivered, “I’d prefer if I didn’t live some place with sandstorms. Like home.”

Greenhorn hummed and opened his mouth, as if to speak, but stopped himself. Instead, he glanced back inside, where Max sat upon the stained counter with shotgun in hand. His fingers delicately fiddled with each hinge and barrel, a cloth wiping the excess dirt. With that sight, and Rainbow’s curious gaze, Greenhorn's face lightened up and snapped his fingers. Max stopped to raise his brow at him, and Rainbow did the same.

“Come here,” he requested with a wave of his hand, slipping back inside eagerly. Rainbow stepped through as well, though hesitantly and rather perplexed. Kneeling next to his bag situated on the floor, Greenhorn dug both hands through his stuff, metal rattling and items shuffling around. Elbow deep, Greenhorn finally pulled out his shotgun, Pip, and shuffled over to Max.

“Better to keep that within reach,” Max advised darkly, returning to cleaning his weapon.

“The only time I use it is for ambushes,” Greenhorn revealed, keeping both hands on Pip. “It’s a bitch to reload. But this isn’t about Pip, but more for Rainbow here.”

Setting Pip down upon the counter, Greenhorn beckoned Rainbow over, who looked to Max. He merely shook his head without tearing his gaze away from his shotgun. With a flare of her wings, Rainbow shot over to Greenhorn and landed on the counter. She was still curious, but did show a tinge of annoyance.

“I think you two should clean weapons together,” Greenhorn said, reaching into his back pocket for a brown cloth. Though he was fairly optimistic of the suggestion, Max and Rainbow only had to glance to each other to express their sentiment.

“Excuse me?” Rainbow said, nudging Pip back and forth. It was dark inside the gas station, but she could see the filth caked on the outside of the shotgun as clear as day. “Why do I need to clean a weapon with Jerk if I’m not even going to use a weapon.” She turned away as she spoke under her breath, “And I’d rather you guys not use one either.”

“I thought it’d help you bond,” Greenhorn explained with a grin and a shrug.

“Don’t fall for it,” Redding blurted out from the garage, barely made out as he rushed to the doorway. In his hand was a wrench while the other held the door frame. “He did the same thing with me and Blucifer. Absolutely no point to it.”

Greenhorn sighed, “And yet you two bicker more than Rainbow and the Road Warrior. You don’t have proof it doesn’t work.”

Redding threw his hand in the air with a groan and headed back for the garage. Muffled words were muttered between him and Blucifer, followed by laughter. Rainbow puffed out her lower jaw inquisically and Greenhorn scratched his head under her scrutiny. Max still didn’t pay any attention.

“By the way,” Rainbow brought up with a glare, “why didn’t you tell us you were related to those two?” She gestured towards the garage, “They nearly tried to kill us you know.”

“It wasn’t-”

“And don’t give me that ‘you never asked’ junk,” Rainbow snapped with an elaborate wave of her hoof. Greenhorn shut his mouth and pursed his lips, adjusting his glasses. Afterwords, he clapped his hands together and sidled over to the door.

“I think I’ll just check with them, see how they’re doing,” he said, pointing to the garage with both fingers. He never faced away from Max and Rainbow, making him back out of the room awkwardly. Rainbow’s gaze lingered on the doorway before softening. Once again, the stillness had returned, and the very room - worn down walls and sand in every nook and cranny - offered the same callousness from before.

Wings spreading out, Rainbow trotted to the edge of the counter, positioning her legs to jump off.

“What’s your world like?” Max said, startling her. She nearly slipped but caught herself as she backed away, eyeing Max. His head was lowered, his shotgun resting in his lap. Whatever remark Rainbow had didn’t manifest as her expression shifted between annoyance and thoughtfulness. It almost perfectly mirrored Max.

“The exact opposite of this place,” Rainbow said. The description, although accurate, didn’t have the same impact of detail. However, as Rainbow scraped her hoof against the counter, she didn’t follow up with any words. Not about the colorful land and its occupants, not the near everlasting peace, nor the gentle princess that ruled over Equestria. Not even her friends.

Max sighed, returning to cleaning his shotgun, “Got it.”