• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 2,111 Views, 54 Comments

A Bug?...In The Resistance? - Dr Atlas



Pinkie and her lingfriend, Doomie, are having a tough time being together, seeing as how both of their factions are at war with each other. (An alternate timeline fic to "Do...You?")

  • ...
8
 54
 2,111

Night...Time

“Doomie, why do you ALWAYS go so far out?”

Doomie shrugged innocently as him and his siblings made their way back to the castle. “I just need to make sure no one’s trying to sneak in.”

“By taking over half an hour to split up from the three of us? Me and Skippy here were worried you got lost in this city...again.”

Skippy nodded. “Yeah, me and Mike-”

“Mike and I.” Doomie corrected with a smug grin, getting hit on the head by the wooden end of Mike’s spear.

“As Skippy was saying, me and her are getting pretty sick of you constantly scouting ahead of us. I mean, what happens if ponies are trying to break in from where we were, we’d be one ling short in a fight.”

Doomie laughed. “I’m pretty sure you two can handle any fight that comes your way.”

“But we ca-” Skippy paused.”R-Really?”

Doomie nodded. “Really really.”

Both changelings looked at each other and smiled while Doomie looked ahead, knowing that’s all he needed to say to make them forget about him going too far from Canterlot. As they continued walking, Mike decided to ask, “So, who do you guys think the traitor is?”

Skippy rolled her eyes while Doomie quickly turned away. “Oh please, like someling’s dumb enough to be a traitor.” Skippy chuckled. “I seriously doubt there even is a traitor in our swarm, maybe it’s just the queen being too nervous.”

Mike dropped his jaw. “Are you calling the queen a liar?”

“I ain’t calling her a truther.” Skippy responded.

Mike growled. “Doomie, what about you?”

“W-Whuahuh?” Doomie said, trying his hardest to stay cool.

"Do you think there’s a traitor in our swarm?" Mike asked. “because I’m pretty sure no one is that brainless, stupid, idiotic, evil, horrible, disgusting-”

“NO!”

Skippy and Mike stepped back once Doomie yelled that word. Doomie stared at both of them and panted heavily. “Uhhh, Doomie?” Skippy said. “You okay? It was just a question.”

Doomie stood straight, trying to calm down. “Y-Yeah, I’m fine...i-it’s just that...uh, h-hearing about a traitor gets me kinda...tense...l-like any moment a brother's gonna stab one of us in the back, right?”

Mike nodded. “I gotta agree, can’t stop watching my back ever since she told us bout it.” He then took his first step up the stairs, the other changelings did the same.

“But how do you know there is one?” Skippy said. “For all we know, the queen could be making it up to keep us on edge.”

“You really think the queen would do that?” Mike asked as they finally reached the front doors.

Skippy nodded and opened the doors, all of them walking into the main hall. “I’m pretty sure the queen’s just being a-”

"CHILDREN!”

The three changelings instantly dropped to the ground, knowing they had to if they ever heard that voice in such a high tone. Mike managed to look up and say. “Q-Q-Qu...Queen?” He stuttered.

Green flamed erupted in front of them, a large, angry looking queen stood above them once the flames went out. “Children, I need to talk to you.”

Skippy gulped, thinking she overheard their conversation. “U-Uh...a-about what...m-my queen?”

Chrysalis’s face was expressionless. “I have good hearing, children, so I think you know exactly what I’m going to say.”

Skippy’s crawled up to her mother’s legs before grabbing onto them, slightly sobbing. “I-I...ey swear...I-I didn’t mean it...i-it was...I-I was….w-we-”

“I found out who betrayed us.”

Skippy stopped panicking while Doomie started. “Wh-What?” Skippy said, backing up.

“So there was a traitor!” Mike punched Skippy in the arm. “I told you she was right.”

“Oh yes. I did. I found out who was betraying the hive, it was so obvious...the answer was right in front of my face the whole time. I should’ve guessed it from the start. it was…” Doomie shut his eyes, knowing this was the end. He knew it would only be a matter of time, he just wished it wasn’t- “STEVE!”

Doomie opened one of his eyes. “W-who?”

Mike sat up. “Steve? The nightwatchling? What makes you think he’s-”

“Wasn’t it obvious?” Chrysalis yelled. “He’s always a part of the fights out there, he spends a lot of time with the elements, and he’s probably able to slip right under our noses during the night. I knew he was the one. He had to be. There was no other choice!”

Mike and Skip looked at each other while Doomie felt like a huge load fell off his back. “So...uh, where is he?” Skippy asked.

“Oh...I wouldn’t worry about him anymore.” Chrysalis said in the darkest tone possible. “I managed to see him just before his shift a while ago, and I’ve...dealt with him. Luckily, you three came in just as I was on my way to find out who will take his shift.

Mike gulped while Doomie’s ear stems went in the air. “U-Uh...s-so, w-who’s gonna-”

“Doomie will be in charge of watching the elements from here on out.”

Doomie’s eyes widened, unable to believe his luck. “Y-You’re putting me in charge?”

Chrysalis nodded. “Normal, I’d let Mike do it, but last I checked, he wasn’t interested.”

Mike nodded. “Yeah...I’d rather not spend an entire six hours guarding while making sure something doesn’t sneak up on me, I gotta weak heart, you know.”

“So...me, guarding those three ponies...all night...for six hours...just me?”

“I know it’s a boring task, child, but I’m sure you can handle it.” Chrysalis pointed at his head. “And will you take that stupid bandanna off your head. It’s really embarrassing to see you wearing it.”

Mike and Skippy snickered while Doomie took it of reluctantly. “Um...o-okay, so, when do I start?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Right now.”

Doomie was then shoved into the cell room by his queen, making the changeling guard inside jolt in surprise. “Have fun.” Chrysalis said before slamming the door shut.

“Doomie?” The guard sat up, surprised to see someone else take the night shift. “What are you doin’ here? You the new night guard or somethin’?”

Doomie sat up and shrugged innocently. “Guess so, seeing as how Steve is a dirty traitor, am I right?”

Carson raised an eye while the ponies started waking up from all the noises. “So, it was Steve all along?” Carson asked, getting a nod in response. “Heh...who’da thought.” Carson then handed him the spear with three sets of keys hanging on the tip. “Well, if that’s the case, then here’s to your new job, may it bore you to no end.” Once Doomie took the spear and keys, Carson made a dash to the door. “No backsies!” He yelled before slamming the door shut.

“Heh...idiot.” Doomie walked up to the nearest cell and clanked the bars with the spear.. “Ey, Tangro! wake up!”

The blue pegasus groaned. “My names RAINBOW!” She stood up and grabbed the bars, preparing to pull. “Can’t you just let...me...w-wait, who are you? Steve doesn’t have that long of a neck.”

Doomie held a green rag in front of her. “Who do you think it is?” He said, wrapping the fabric around his head and tying it.

Rainbow Dash’s jaw hung open. “D-Doomie? Y-You’re a nightguard now?”

Doomie couldn’t stop smiling. “I am now, thanks to Chrysalis.”

“Thanks to who now?” Doomie turned around to see Applejack in her bed of hay. “Wait a tick...Doomie? That you?”

Doomie took a stance. “In the carapace!”

“Cmmhhph?”

Doomie turned right to see Rarity holding the bars, the muzzle secure on her face. “Carapace.” Doomie repeated, tapping his back. “Ya know, the stuff we-”

“Mhph hmmhp hffpmhy hmmph hnnm?”

Dash nodded. “Yeah! It’s about time you got this job! I was starting to think it would take another month."

"Way way wait!" Applejack got out of bed. “Lemme get this straight. Your queen thought some other bug was a traitor, which was the night guard, and decided to make you of all bugs take his place?”

Doomie shrugged and opened Dash's cell. “Pretty much. I just heard that Chrysalis banished Steve and let me take his place as night guard, That's pretty lucky, huh?”

“Yeah.” Applejack said. “That is lucky...too lucky.”

“Don’t ruin the moment!” Doomie shouted, twirling the keys that belonged to AJ’s and Rarity’s cells. He handed Applejack’s key to Dash. “I’ll go get Chairady.”

“Rarity.” Dash corrected, only for Doomie to ignore her and help Rarity out as well. Meanwhile, Dash smiled smugly at Applejack. “So, are you gonna say it?”

AJ raised an eye. “Say what?”

Dash waved the key in front of her. “Ya know, about me being right about that bug freeing us and you being wrong about us staying in here forever.”

Applejack sighed. “Dash, ah still think we’re in danger, don’t ya think it’s kinda weird how this happened, I mean, look!” Applejack pointed at Doomie, who was currently getting a hug from Rarity. “You think she would pick him of all bugs to watch us when he’s been doing so much shady stuff.”

Dash rolled her eyes. “Sounds like you just don’t believe in luck when you see it.”

Applejack was still suspicious. “Doomie, how long ago did ur queen find the ‘traitor’?”

Doomie got the muzzle off a Rarity and turned to AJ. “She said she found out about him a few hours before me and my patrol walking in the castle, if that’s not luck, then I dunno what is!”

Dash raised an eye while Applejack looked back at her. “Huh, yeah, reeeeeealy lucky.”

Dash ignored this and shoved the key into AJ’s cell, unlocking it. “Will you stop being a downer and just escape with us already.”

Rarity came up next to her. “Dashie’s right, AJ. It’s about time we leave and meet up with Pinkie and Shy.”

Applejack sighed and walked out of her cell. “If we leave, we ain’t goin’ anywhere without Twi.” She turned to Doomie. “You know where she is, right?”

"I know this place like the front of my hoof." Doomie held his head high and made his way to the cell room door. “I’ll show you the grand tour while I’m at it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And here’s her throne room. In here, she yells, screams, hollers, screeches, hits, and hurts us if we disobey her.”

“Doomie…” Rarity said. “That’s very interesting, but would you please stop talking about what your queen does to you changelings in every area we go to!”

“But this is where the magic happens.” Doomie said, walking up to where Chrysalis would sit. “I can almost feel the hatred coming of this room, it’s kinda gonna make me miss this place.”

Dash raised an eye. “Really?”

Doomie paused for three seconds before saying. “Eh, I’ll get over it. Now, about Dimlight’s tor- er, prison room.”

“Is this it?” Doomie looked over to the right of Chrysalis’s throne to see Applejack standing right in front of a door that had Twilight’s cutie mark printed on it, several tally marks were under the image. Applejack didn’t even want to know, nor count, how many tallies there were.

“Yup, this is where Chrysalis comes if she’s really mad at us, and she always makes sure to put a tally mark every time she-”

Applejack shoved a hoof in his mouth. “Doomie, if I hear one more thing about your queen, ahm gonna make you wish you never took me outta that cell, you understand.”

“Crimphel” Doomie muttered before spitting the hoof out and reaching for the door. “So, ready to see her, cause she’s pretty-”

Before he could touch the door, Applejack grabbed his arm. “Listen, changeling, are you sure the queen’s not in there?”

Doomie grabbed put a hoof on the door. “Don’t worry, I doubt the queen’s gonna be in here at this time of night, she’s usually-”

“Looks like someling’s been telling stories out of class.”

Before Doomie could react, and realize who’s voice that was, he felt hard steel hit the back of his head, knocking him to the ground. He would’ve stood up if it wasn’t for something pinning him to the ground.

“Doomie!” Rainbow Dash was about to help, but about a dozen spears made sure that wouldn’t happen. “What the hay…” Dash and her friends backed up until they hit a wall, the three of them seeing that they were quickly surrounded by a small swarm of changelings.

“Everyone back off!” The lead changeling yelled as it pulled Doomie away from the elements. “Hooves where I can see em!”

Doomie started struggling while the ponies went into fighting stance. “G-Get off me!” Doomie yelled. “I-I know this looks bad, but Chrysalis told me to-”

“Doomie. Drone four hundred and eighty two.” Doomie’s eyes went wide, hearing the last voice he wanted to hear at a time like this. A voice that he had hear ten times as loud, but was even worse at this tone. He was about to run, but the bug that held him threw him on the floor before he could, his body unable to move the moment he made contact.

“Failed almost all his classes,” The voice continued. “but managed to muster up the strengths and brains to pass them all months after our takeover and study one in particular, which was night watch training.” A hole filled hoof was slammed inches in front of his face. “but is still not smart enough to realize the last thing a bug like him should do when caught in a spider's web is wiggle.”

The hoof then slid under his chin and forced him to look into the face of his queen. “And yet” She continued, a smile still on her face. “is still dumb enough to think that taking over a mole’s shift, making friends with the elements, and getting the keys to free them was all he needed to do to help the ponies win and fool a queen like me.” She tapped her head. “Stupid, Doomie...in fact, I’d almost say that was...crazy...crazy to think you could pull it off.”

“A-A mole?” Applejack grunted. “You’re saying that-”

The queen looked over to the elements while having Doomie in her magical grip. “What I’m saying, dear Applejack, is that tomorrow, at high noon, the entire resistance shall fall, and I will finally rule all of Equestria!”

Dash brought her hooves up in front of her and twirled them menacingly. “Like hay you will! We’re not gonna let that happen!”

“How is that gonna happen anyway?” Doomie asked.

Chrysalis shook her head. “You poor, poor, stupid child. Did you really think Steve would be my first guess? You were my first suspicion all along, Doomie, and this was the last test to prove she was right.” She chuckled. “You can thank Twilight for that.”

“Y-You made her talk!” Applejack yelled, wanting to cause immense amount of pain toward the queen after hearing that.

Chrysalis shrugged innocently. “All I asked was for her to tell me which changeling fell in love with that pink pony friend of yours, wasn’t so hard once she stopped caring for any of my children.”

“But what about the mole!” Doomie yelled. “A-Are you saying that you lied to me about him being the traitor?”

Chrysalis raised an eye. “Oh, a sudden spark in your intelligence?” She laughed. “You are correct, child. I fooled you into thinking the traitor was him and let you take his job just to see if you were still loyal.” She looked at the ponies behind him in disgust. “It’s a pity to see that’s not true.”

Dash growled.. “Yeah!? Well, who cares if you have us, c-cause the resistance can find out who’s a changeling and who’s not with their-”

Chrysalis smiled. “Not when they find a defenseless little filly, lost, cold and helpless out in the woods, desperately looking for somepony to help them.” She laughed. “I should’ve had this plan from the start!”

Dash blinked. “What the hay are you talking about? What filly?”

“Wait...I-I get it.” Doomie looked up at her again. “Y-You sent him out on his own to find the resistance since sending more didn’t work...a-and he's just playing as a filly to fool them all! Is that it?”

Chrysalis was impressed. “So, you really are smart, Doomie.”

Rarity stomped. “How do you even know your plan of finding the resistance worked!”

“It’s called brainwaves, dear. I can already hear reports coming in.” She tapped her head. “The amount of time he’s been there, the ponies that live in that stupid village...and most importantly: the location.” She stood taller. “I’ll have the entire swarm crush them in under an hour with the amount of changelings I will send!”

Applejack face wen't deadpan. "Brainwaves. Really? That's how you're gonna explain-"

“Not gonna happen, Chrysie!" Dash growled. "Not while we’re still standing!”

“Then it’s a shame you won’t be standing for long.” She turned to the guards. “Children! Take the elements back to their cells!”

Rarity stood on her back legs. “Like hay you will!” She then stepped forward. “You bugs will have to get past me if you-”

*CLANK*

“I-If you wanna-”

*CLANK*

“W-wanna get…”

*CLANK*

*I-Is it bed time yet…”

Rarity then fell to the floor, her friends soon following, though without as much pain. Once the changelings escorted them out of the room, Doomie glared at his queen, trying his hardest to look confident in this hopeless situation. “S-So what are you gonna do to me?” He said. “j-just throw me behind bars too!? Because the ponies will-”

“The ponies have no hope left in this land.” Chrysalis yelled. “Ever since I took out the princesses and controlled the sun and moon with my own powers, the ponies have fallen one by one, and now, the rest will soon follow.”

Doomie wasn’t afraid, he couldn’t be, not now, not ever. “The resistance will end you, my queen.”

“So brave, even in the face of someling as powerful as me.” Chrysalis continued smiling and started walking around him. “Doomie. As your queen, and mother, I’m giving you a selection of choices. You can either A. Join us in the destruction of ponykind and be forgiven for your actions, B. Continue being a traitor and rot in the dungeon with the other ponies, or C. Be really stupid and find some way to save the resistance as we attack.” She stopped in front of him. “So, what will it be?”

Doomie didn’t want to answer, he knew this was it, that he failed, that nothing could help him, only himself. “M-Myself?” Doomie then realized just how sad that was.

Knowing that silence was going to be her only answer from him, she turned to the guards. “Did you hear that, children.”

One changeling smirked. “He said he’d love to spend the rest of his life in a cocoon.”

The queen’s face went blank while Doomie looked up at her in anger. “How sad, and here I thought I raised you right.” She motioned the guard to come closer. “Please, Carson, give him a light anesthetic. He needs to be well rested for where he’ll be spending the rest of his life.

Doomie gritted his teeth as his brother stood over him, ready to administer a dose of anesthetic. “Sorry about this, Doomie.” Carson said.

Doomie looked away. “No...no you’re not.”

Carson smiled. “You’re right, I’m not.” Reeling his hooves back, he socked Doomie right in his eye, knocking him out instantly.

“Sweet dreams, my child~”