• Published 11th Dec 2015
  • 2,111 Views, 54 Comments

A Bug?...In The Resistance? - Dr Atlas



Pinkie and her lingfriend, Doomie, are having a tough time being together, seeing as how both of their factions are at war with each other. (An alternate timeline fic to "Do...You?")

  • ...
8
 54
 2,111

Explain...again

“Zecora, Pinkie has been right over eight times now.There's no way her sense can get it right that many times in a row! She’s got someone...or someling on the inside helping her.”

Gasps arose from the room and all eyes turned to Pinkie, who was the only one sitting on the opposite end of the round table. “Wh-What do you mean, Fluttershy? I’m...-my Pinkie sense is always right, it has been for the past three months!”

Fluttershy didn’t buy it, and neither did some of the other ponies that sat in this room, even Zecora had doubts. Fluttershy adjusted her seat and continued. “Tell me, Pinkie, what’s it like fighting them?”

Pinkie was taken back by the question, not knowing how to answer. “Uh...i-it’s alright...I-I’m glad to know that my efforts for fighting them back have been...uh...helpful.”

“And what’s it like talking with them?”

“Ta-Talking? I-I wasn’t-”

Fluttershy slammed her hooves on the table. “I saw the way you acted with that bug!” she shouted.

Pinkie froze. “I-I don’t know what your talking about.”

Fluttershy eyed her. “You were talking to him, and not the kind of talking when you try to pummel the bugs to the ground, I’m talking about the talking that you talked to him.”

Everyone, even Pinkie, found that confusing. “What?”

Zecora placed her front hooves on the table and stood higher. “I think what Fluttershy is trying to say, is that the fight with the changelings was more than foul play.” She continued looking at Pinkie. “If what Shy says is true, then this story I must see through.”

Another pony stood up. “Yeah, are you really talkin’ to the bugs?”

“Are you helping their cause by making us win?”

“Are you helping them plan out another attack!?”

"Are you a tra-"

“NO!” Pinkie knocked her chair away and stood high. “N-No! I-It’s not like that...I-I would never betray the resistance!”

Zecora continued having a straight face. “Then tell us, Pinkie, are you with this fly, or is this just an outright lie?”

Pinkie couldn’t take it, every single eye was looking at her as if she was traitor to them. She knew it was only a matter of time until they would find out anyway. Might as well say it now. “O-Okay, I-I’m...or...h-he..I...I’ve been getting help...from...a changeling.”

Another chorus of gasps fell through the room. “Help!?” One said. “From those monsters?”

Another voice shouted. “I doubt those monsters want to help us!”

“Help us get destroyed, that’s what they want!”

“But Doomie’s not like that!” Pinkie blurted out before she shut her mouth with her hooves.

“Doomie?” Zecora said with a tilt of her head.

Pinkie sat down on the floor and nodded. “Y-Yeah...t-that’s his name, t-that’s the changeling I talk to every time we see each other in battle...I-It’s kinda our only chance to do something fun together...heh..eh…” She hoped others would laugh at that, but they continued to have looks of worry or concern.

“When was the first time you and this ‘Doomie’ met?” Zecora asked. “Answer, or you will regret.”

Pinkie gulped. “E-Ever since the Canterlot Disaster.”

One pony did a spit take and coughed up the rest of his drink. “That long ago?”

Pinkie couldn’t forget that day, it was one of the greatest and worst days of her life.”It was...during the attack...right after we ran from the fight…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Canterlot, six months ago…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“AH! DOOMIE!”

“W-whut? *hic* did I do somethin’ wrong? *hic* D-Did I put it in the wrong-”

“W-why are your eyes all pink like that?”

Doomie blinked, his eyes glowing as pink as Pinkie’s coat. “Oh...yeah...they *hurp* they get like that when a cha-*hic* changelings gittin’ a little bit t*Bleck*oo much love, hemhemhhmm.”

Doomie got on top of Pinkie and started nuzzling under her chin, but she quickly pushed him to the side.

“I-Is that a bad thing?”

Doomie sat up, hitting his head on the lid. “Ouch...ugh...we shoulda *hic* shoulda found a better place, this tra*hic*can probably should’ve had some softer stuff, at least it doesn’t s*elch*ll as bad *hic*”

Pinkie still felt worried about him. “Doomie, are you sure you’re alright?”

Doomie smiled. “I’ve never *hic* felt better…” He smacked his lips and rubbed his belly. “I’m telling you right now, I’m-”

“Doomie!”

Doomie hit the top of the lid with his head again. “W-What the f*elch*?” He flicked his ear stem. “That sounds like my brother, Tom?”

“You have a brother named Tom?” Pinkie found that kinda strange for any creature to have a name as simple as that.

“Doomie? That you in there?”

Pinkie started becoming concerned. “Why are your brothers looking for you? Shouldn’t it be ponies?”

Doomie quickly shook his head, hoping most of the pink got out of his eyes. “L-Lemmy handle this.” He took a deep breath in hopes that his hiccups would go away and opened the lid while Pinkie stayed out of sight, “Hello, brothers!” He waved at the two bugs in front of the alleyway. “What can I do for *hic* you?”

The two changelings before him tapped their hooves impatiently. “Brad told us you were here with a pony, is that true?”

Doomie put on his best poker face. “Uh...n-no, why?”

“Doomie, we can see the pink in your eyes. You were feeding off her, weren’t ya?”

Doomie should’ve know it would take more than a few shakes of his head to get the pink off. . “Alright, fine, I *hic* was with a pony, but she’s gone now, so just-”

“Well then, find her!” Tom yelled. “We gotta round up as many ponies as we can?”

Doomie raised an eye. “W-We *hic* we do?”

The other brother laughed. “Doomie, how long have you been in that dumpster?”

Doomie looked down at Pinkie, hoping to get an answer from her, but she just shifted her shoulders up and looked up at him with worry. “I-I dunno, bout ten minutes. *hic* m-maybe twelve.”

Tom smiled. “Well, stinky, on those so called ten or so minutes, Chrysalis and us managed to take control of Canterlot. That silly pink princess thought she could get through Shining’s head? HAH! What an idiot!”

Pinkie quietly gasped. “They wa-mhh”

Doomie immediately put his hoof over her mouth, hoping that sudden outburst didn’t blow her cover. “W-We won?”

The brothers nodded their heads in pride, not seeming to hear what Pinkie said. ”Yup, Chrysie is rounding up the princesses while the rest of us are going to get some ponies and throw em’ in our new home to feed off of, I’ll tell ya, I was really doubting this plan, but now that it worked.” He laughed. “It’s amazing!”

Doomie nodded meekly. Part of him kinda liked how his swarm finally won something, but to win against a side that had Pinkie in it… “Uh...y-yeah...g-go us.”

Tom pointed at the street where some ponies were running and screaming in panic. “So, come on, we got ponies to wrap up.”

Doomie gulped and looked down at Pinkie. Her expression had mixed feelings of worry, sadness, and concern over this information these bugs were giving them. Luckily for Doomie, he managed to hold it together and say, “U-Uh...o-okay, give me a sec...I...g-gotta make sure a ponies not in here, right?”

Tom and Phil just looked at each other and shrugged before running out into the streets to terrorize more ponies, seeming to care more about that then a bug in a dumbster. Doomie sighed and pulled his hoof away from Pinkie, who then shot up from the trash and looked right at him. “You guys won!?”

Doomie found it hard to believe as well. “I-I guess so...I-I really had no idea we could pull this off...w-we’ve always failed at all the other places.”

Pinkie grabbed him by his shoulders. “D-Do you know what this means?”

Doomie had a few ideas. “Um...we’re gonna end up enslaving your entire kind and rule over it with an iron hoof?”

“No! It means my party’s been cancelled! H-How am I supposed to throw one when all the ponies are gonna be thrown in the dungeon!”

“We don’t have dungeons, Pinkie, we have call centers.”

“But you’re gonna have one when you take control of the castle, they’re always a dungeon in there! Then there’s gonna be major mass ruling and...”

Doomie looked out into the streets as Pinkie continued ranting. He say ponies being snatched up and taking to the sky, others stuck to the ground with gunk, and even more still running from all of them. “Oh Chrysie...w-what has she done?”

“And before you know it, we’ll be nothing but...but...Doomie?” Pinkie tapped him on the shoulder, making him snap back around and face her. “Doomie, what’s gonna happen to us?”

Doomie couldn’t answer, he knew this was probably the worst thing that could happen right now. “I...I…” He got out of the trash. “I’m sorry, Pinkie, but...but I can’t stay here."

“W-WHAT!?” Pinkie grabbed him. “Y-You’re leaving me?”

Doomie tried his hardest to not look at Pinkie, but his eyes refused to look anywhere else.. “Pie...I-I need to be with my family, cause if I stay here and they find you with me...I-It's not gonna be good for either of us, Pinkie.”

“B-But I can’t leave you, what if I never see you again?”

Without any warning, Doomie gave her a small kiss before looking right in her eyes. “I promise...I’ll see you again, just get out of here and try not to get seen by anyling!”

“W-What about my friends?”

“Find them if you can, but I can’t stay with you...m-my hive needs me...I-I...I have to go!” Doomie started to run, but took one last look at her and said. “I-I...I’m sorry, my piece of pie…” With those last words, Doomie shut the dumpster lids on top of her and ran off into the fight, leaving Pinkie in the trash.

“Doomie...”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“And then, I ran out of the dumpster, met up with my friends, and got out of that place before any other changeling could get me.”

Everyone’s jaws went to the floor after she ended that story. Some were on the verge of throwing up while others already did. “That’s how you met the bug?” Fluttershy yelled. “In the trash!?”

“Talk about gettin’ dirty.” One pony said jokingly before getting hit upside the head by Fluttershy.

Pinkie ignored the stares and continued. “It took us forever to find each other after that. I didn’t see him until the first attack they did after Canterlot.”

Zecora was still curious about all of this. “And how did that go? Surely, we should know.”

“Well…Me and my friends, Fluttershy included, tried staying at another place besides ponyville to hide from Chrysalis’s army...but...little did we know, the town we went to was one of the first ones they attacked.”

Fluttershy hung her head. “We lost them that day...didn’t we?”

Pinkie choked. “Ye...yeah...w-we lost them during that.”

Zecora was still curious, as was everyone else. “Please, Pinkie, continue your tale, forget about your friends that went..to...um…” Zecora decided not to finish that sentence. “J-just continue.”

“Okay...um...It was a few weeks after we lost, a-and me and the girls got separated after the changelings attacked, a-and I was determined to find him through all of it!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten miles out of Canterlot, Five in a half months ago…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Doomie?”

“W-What? No, I’m not-”

*WHAP*

“Doomie?”

“Wh-D-Does it look like I failed love class?”

*SMACK*

“Doomie?”

“No, this is Twig.”

Pinkie’s eyes twitched, not wanting to give up on finding her lingfriend during this attack, even if it meant getting herself captured. “Where! Is! Doomie!?” She grabbed his face and looked right into his eyes. “I know he’s somewhere in this fight.”

The oversized changeling looked across the area. Most of it was burnt down buildings where the surviving ponies held out until the changelings found them. “Um...he might be here...somewhere...wait, why are you looking for-”

“GRAAAAAAAAAAAH!” Pinkie put her back into it and threw the changeling behind her.

Another changeling didn’t have time to react as his overweight brother was thrown right at him, knocking him out of the air and into the ground. He rolled him off and started backing away from him. “Oooow...T-Twig! will ya watch where you’re- ACK!” The bug felt hooves wrapped around his neck from behind him. He’d struggled if it wasn’t for the sound her heard next.

“You have three seconds to tell me you’re Doomie, or this hoof is going right up-”

“P-P-Pinkie!?” The bug managed to turn around and look right into the eyes of a pony he had seen weeks ago, a pony that he’d never thought he’d see again, a pony that he...loved.

“D-Doomie?”

The bug immediately tacked her into the ground and brought her in for a fearsome kiss, which she then returned the favor. “Dah-Doomie...h-how?”

Doomie pulled her up and brought her further away from the battle. “Pinkie. I-I honestly didn't think I’d see you here...I-I thought you’d got to conyvile.”

“Ponyville.” Pinkie corrected.

“Yeah! W-why are you here and not over there?”

Pinkie frowned. “M-Me and the girls thought you would come there after the attack, b-but I guess you were one step ahead.”

“Um...a-actually, we just kinda moved to a random location and-”

“Oh no!” Pinkie pointed behind him. “L-Look.” Doomie turned around and watched as more buildings began to either topple over or burn to the ground. Pinkie took it harder than him. “T-This can’t be happening…” She said.

Doomie sighed. “It is...Pinkie...we’re really taking over now...this is the first city we’ve been to and, sooner or later, we’re coming for your home town.”

“N-Not Ponyville!”

“Yes, Ponyville!”

“I-I gotta warn my friends!” Pinkie was about to run off, but Doomie held her back.

“Pinkie,” Doomie sighed, knowing she wouldn’t take this news well. “we...we already have them…”

Pinkie’s ear flicked, thinking she didn’t hear that correctly. “I...w-what?”

“It’s true, Pinkie...we have them.” Doomie started naming off her friends. “We got the white one, the orange one, the blue one, some small lizard, and that one pony who tried to kill me a few weeks ago.”

“T-they even got Twilight!?”

“So that was her name...”

Pinkie grabbed Doomie by the arms. “What about Fluttershy?”

“That yellow one? Well, we didn’t really see her as a threat, so, we kinda just watched her run away and laughed...b-but uh...I-I didn’t laugh...that much.”

Pinkie let go and sat down, her mind having too much trouble to take all this in. “M-My friends...D-Dashie, AJ, Rare, Spikey, Twi…”

Doomie wanted to comfort her, but, seeing that more changelings were coming in, he knew now wasn’t the time. “I-I gotta go…”

Pinkie snapped out of her sorrow and grabbed Doomie again. “You can’t leave me again, Doomie! W-Who knows when I’ll see you!”

Doomie looked around the town, seeing the changelings were preoccupied with chasing and capturing ponies then look at the two of them. “Pinkie, I know for the fact the last place we’ll be looking for ponies would be the forest, because not many of them live there, right?”

Pinkie wasn’t sure. “I-I guess not.”

“J-Just see if you can get some to follow you there! M-Maybe some other pony can help you.”

“The only other creature that I’ve meet out there is Zecora, and she’s not even-”

“WE GOT HER NOW!”

Doomie and Pinkie turned around to see a small group of changelings charge at them. “Grab her, Doomie!” One shouted

Doomie started thinking fast and said, “D-Don’t worry, guys! I got her!” He grabbed Pinkie and pulled her closer to him. “Pinkie, punch me...p-punch me and run!”

Pinkie could already understand he was trying to make this look like a losing fight between the two of them, but hurting him was the last thing she wanted right now. “Wh-be-ca...D-Doomie, I-”

“HIT ME!” He yelled, knowing this was the only way to get them both out of this mess. "P-Please."

Pinkie closed her eyes and, with a broken heart, punched Doomie right in his face, sending him right into the group of bugs and making them stop in their tracks. “Da-doomie! You idiot!” One changeling yelled.

Pinkie looked around to find somewhere to run, but her only option was the one Doomie said earlier. The forest. She spun around and started running, never looking back. Her eyes were filled with tears from what was happening. Almost all her friends were captured, she had no home to run to, and she just hit her lingfriend after not seeing him for weeks. “This...t-this…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“P-Pinkie...y-you can stop.”

Pinkie sniffed and rubbed her hooves over her eyes, trying to get the tears off. “S-Sorry...sorry...Shy...b-but, um, y-yeah, that’s what happened.” Pinkie pointed at Fluttershy. “Y-You had the same idea and went to the forest too.”

Fluttershy smiled, thankful to know her animal friends helped her when she got to her house. “So that’s how you got outta there in one piece?”

Pinkie grinned for a second before it went away. “He let me get away, saying that the only place they’d look at last would be the forest, wasn’t that sweet of him?”

“I must to say, it was a smart place for us to stay.” Zecora looked outside. “but for the ponies that come here to survive...it’s hard to have all of them thrive.”

“Zecora’s right.” Fluttershy said. “it’s not gonna be long until we start running out of rations.” She stood up from the table. “It’s becoming more of a risk for ponies to go out for food every time those bugs attack. I mean, what if they catch one of us and force them to spill the beans about this place!?”

“That’s not gonna happen!” One pony yelled. “They can punish our bodies, but they will never punish our spirit!”

“PUNISH OUR BODIES!?” One mare screamed.

“I never agreed to have any punishment on my body!” Another stallion said.

"I don't even wanna get-"

“ENOUGH!” Zecora yelled, making everypony calm down. “Now’s not the time to worry of the attacks to come, now's the time to get things in this place done!” She pointed at Pinkie. “Pie, when is their next attack?”

Pinkie fidgeted. “D-Doomie said that it’ll be next week, a-at nightfall.”

“Then that’s the amount of time we have before they act.” Zecora started walking around the room. “Ponies, I know things look bleak, horrible, hopeless," She pointed at Pinkie. "but what Pinkie has told us may bring us success.” Most ponies nodded in agreement, making Pinkie feel better about telling them about the affair.

Fluttershy flew above the room. “Not just her, but us! We can take anything on! We can save everypony!”

"For as long we we have the everypony's assistance,” Zecora raised her hoof, making others do the same. “noling will ever defeat-”

“THE RESISTANCE!” The ponies yelled before a small ruckus of cheers fell through. Pinkie was excited at first, but sat down again, worried about something else.

Fluttershy noticed and flew down to her. “You okay, Pinkie? W-We’re not mad at you for-”

“It’s not that.” Pinkie explained. “It’s about...him.” She turned to the window and sighed. “I just hope Doomie's taking the failure okay.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“YOU LOST THEM AGAIN!?”

Doomie and his other brothers couldn’t stop shaking as their queen looked down at all of them from her throne, her eyes filled with hate. “Y-Yes. My queen.” The lead-ling said shamefully. “T-They ambushed us...again.”

“Again?” Chrysalis growled. “Tell me, Stan. How did it happen this time? Was one soldier arrogant? Did someling make a noise to give away a position? Was there a cause for this or were you all just being STUPID again!?”

Stan gulped. “W-We’re trying our best, my queen...w-we just-”

“Your best? YOUR BEST!?” Chrysalis slammed her hoof on the ground, making all the bugs fall to the floor and causing an echo throughout the halls of the Canterlot castle. “If you were trying your best, you would’ve had them by now! You’ve destroyed towns, cities, empires, and now you can’t find a single village in a forest?”

Stan managed to get on all fours again. “I-It’s harder than it sounds, my queen.”

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes, the black slits staring right into her sons and daughters souls. “Children, I’m not an idiot, I know what’s going on here.”

“Y-You do?” Stan and the others weren’t sure what she was talking about, except for Doomie, who was lower on the ground than the others.

Chrysalis started pacing around the top steps of her throne room. “Every story I hear back from the children have all been the same. An ambush,” She mocked. “ponies managed to get us, we were surrounded, they were too strong and always outnumbered us!” Chrysalis stopped pacing and looked at them again. “They seem to always know where you children are at every time, at every place, at every moment.” She started eyeing everyone of them. “There’s only one explanation.”

One changeling raised his arm. “Ponies are starting to become smarter than us?”

Another arm raised. “The ponies know our tactics and strategies?”

“They use alicorn magic to deduce our weara-”

“NO!” Chrysalis screamed. “You idiots! There’s a traitor among us!”

Doomie’s heart skipped a beat while the others raised an eye. “A-A traitor, your majesty?” Stan questioned. “H-How can you be sure?”

Chrysalis looked at each one of them individually. “I know you children are loyal, but I know some can be loyal to others, others who they care more about than us! Others they’d rather help than be apart of the hive, others...” The queen laid her eyes on Doomie. “that they love more than food.”

Doomie almost broke after she said that, but he managed to keep his cool and look back at her without fear, she didn’t seem to care and just looked away from all of them. Stan straightened himself up. “S-So...you think...a-a traitor in our hive, my queen?”

The queen didn’t answer, she knew she didn’t, she knew her children would find out the answer for themselves. “Leave.” She said coldly. “Leave and prepare the children for the next recon mission.”

The changelings bowed. “Yes, my queen.” They all said in unison before turning to the doors and marching off.

Chrysalis groaned and sat down on her throne, now having a headache from all of this. “Ugh...those bugs...I need to relax.” She thought about what to do, thinking of only one way to help calm her down. “Maybe the unicorn has softened up by now.”

Doomie was the only one in the group to crane his head behind him to see the queen go in the next room, knowing that he’d have to tell the three top prisoners. He sighed and looked ahead as the throne room doors closed.

“You’re gonna be fine, Doomie...you’re gonna be just...fine.”