• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 5,650 Views, 38 Comments

Healer Heal Thyself - DWhay



The Doctor shows up on Twilight's doorstep, maddened and desperate for comfort.

  • ...
9
 38
 5,650

Alone In The Dark

It was a peaceful night in the Equestrian midwinter, the snow fell so softly on that quiet evening one could bend over and hear each individual snowflake hit the ground. The moon shone like a brilliant torch in the sky and lit the world into a casting that sent the entire town of Ponyville into a supernatural relief. The shadows seemed to be solid, corporeal, like curtains that could be drawn aside; the buildings were the things that looked transparent on that night. Everything was switched, the whole universe and life itself was looking through a twisted paradigm that evening, like a mirror that had been broken and pieced back together. It looked... fake. Too real to be real. And this was the night that Doctor Whooves went mad. This strange time was going to be the setting for one of the most monumental things that ever happened in all the world.

The Doctor would open up to the one mare he trusted most.

Twilight Sparkle had been his traveling companion before, but in no way did he want her along any longer than she needed. So he'd dropped her off and they had gone their separate ways. But they say that at certain times nostalgia gets the best of us, and for once, some sort of old saying was true. One speck of truth in the middle of a sea of contradictions. Old sayings in proverbs contradict themselves. For example, if life is too short, why would patience even be a virtue? Such is the paradox-like nature of wisdom. For as much as it helps, it hinders. Eventually all it does is confuse, discombobulate. All the wisdom in the world does no good. For every last proverb or witty remark, there is just another that says the complete opposite.

This was one of that many musings and meandering strings of thoughts polluting Doctor Whooves' mind as he stumbled out of the TARDIS, numb to the world. It was a rare, almost legendary occasion where he didn't know what to do, and this was one of them. He didn't walk, he stumbled like a drunkard, the world's, nay, the universe's beloved Doctor was brought to complete standstill on one little thought. One truth that had pervaded and shaped his entire life.

He was alone.

He stumbled up to Twilight's door, pasting a smile over his cacophony of maddened thoughts. He didn't knock, he didn't even bother to say he was coming in, he had just opened the door, walked in and sat down. It was a chair he had sat in before, a month and a half ago, even though it had only been ten minutes for him. He'd dropped her off, started up his beloved TARDIS, and stopped to think. And that was the moment. The straw that broke the camel's back, to use a cliche, the mighty Time Lord had found out the one thing in his life that was constant. He looked over to see a cup of tea, just waiting for him on the arm of the comfy seat. He looked over at the other side of the library where Twilight herself sat, regarding him with large, intelligent eyes.

"I knew you'd come back." She smiled. "You always do."

She took as sip of her own tea, sighing afterwards. She didn't know what he'd done, or what he wanted or needed, but she knew that he only ever came here for help. Contrary to popular belief, The Doctor needed his companions. All the tech and time in existence couldn't replace a good friend. And that was what he needed, a friend.

"Twilight." He sighed, brushing his mane back with his hoof. "I don't know... why I came to you about this when I have so, so many others... but I need your help."

Twilight blinked, astonished. She didn't know him to be the one to ask anyone for help, let alone a pony he'd met just a month ago. The mare nodded, taking another sip of tea.

"Now... do you think that I'm a m..." He trailed off.

"A what?"

"Monster?"

He turned to the unicorn, his eyes gates to the warground where his mind was ripping itself to pieces.

"No! You're the most wonderful pony I've ever met! Why would you ask me that?"

Whooves bit his bottom lip and retrieved his Sonic Screwdriver from his coat pocket. "Because of this."

He turned the device on and it cast a hologram, a picture of one of his more Human companions. She was shot right in the head by a Dalek, removing her face right from her body. Next it flicked to an image of him and a pony running through a forest, one of them trailing behind. The oddest thing was that they ran backwards, keeping their eyes glued to something off-screen. Just then, at the worst possible moment, they both did the simplest thing. They blinked. It was that fast, the pony next to Whooves was dead, in the grip of some sort of statue. Her head was twisted backwards. The picture then cut to him and a woman sitting in a room with more than a dozen other humans. He was talking to some sort of official when something large covered the screen, when it had passed, they were all gone but him.

"Everyone that ever traveled with me has died." He choked out. "One thing has happened to me throughout my entire life... in the end, they all die."

A tear spilled out and into his tea, which he sipped, enjoying the bitter taste of his own tears. He deserved it, he'd wrought the death of thousands upon millions of creatures, both innocent and malignant. He was The Destroyer Of Worlds.

"Would the universe be better off without me, Twilight? Really? I have played God all these years when I'm just a madman in a box trying to make things better. But I never do. I just end up destroying someone else's life and I just skip away in my time machine, completely unaffected. I feel like a spoiled child with a toy. I don't take responsibility for anything I do, the death I bring to everything around me..."

Twilight didn't know what to do, but she knew that Whooves was being very serious. These thoughts were driving him mad and she needed to step in and fix him.

"Doctor, I don't understand. You're the most wonderful, amazing pony/Time Lord I've ever met! Why question yourself now when you're doing an amazing job?"

"I'm not!" He roared, jumping out of his seat. "I have killed, maimed, injured and caused the downfall and misery of millions, no, trillions of innocents. And I can't do it anymore! I just can't handle it all! I want to say I can but I can't handle all of this knowledge, this complete lack of a family, friends, even colleagues! They all die in the end, and I'm left to kill someone else by waltzing into their life. Even you! One day you'll die because of something I do and come that day, Twilight bloody Sparkle I swear to the cosmos I won't live to see the next! I will throw myself into the heart of a Black Hole if I have to but I'm not going to live without you. I can't be alone anymore!"

The whole time he had been getting closer to Twilight, his eyes bulging and wild, crazed fury and desperation behind them.

"Doctor." She whispered. "I want you to know something."

"Nothing you can say will make me feel any better about myself Twilight." He growled.

"I want you to know something, and it's important."

"Don't be redundant Twi, just say it!"

"I want you to know-"

"What?!"

"I love you."

He stopped, the world itself, stopped dead in it's tracks just then.

She leaned forward and kissed him, wrapping her hooves around his shoulders. She didn't care if he was going mad or old as the ground under her hooves, he was her raggedy old Doctor, and she loved him more than life itself. She released him now that she had his full attention.

"I love you, Doctor, and so many millions, no, billions upon trillions love you. You aren't alone. Ever. Never think that. I love you and the whole, wide, sparkling sky loves you. You'll never be alone. For everything you've ever killed or sacrificed, you saved another hundred. Now kiss me you, crazy, mad, brilliant stallion."

Their lips met with sparks.


That was the short tale of how Doctor Whooves reclaimed his sanity through his beloved mare. I hope you enjoyed this fiction, it was part of a one hour challenge I made for myself. Please drop anything you want in the comments.

Comments ( 38 )

Excellent prose and grammar as always, though I can't help but wonder...

The reason that the Doctor leaves his companions behind is because he doesn't age. If he were to keep them aside, he'd have to watch them die. It's because of this that this one-shot leaves a rather bitter taste in my mouth. Sure the Doctor, in all his irrationality, might be happy now, but it'll be short-lived once he realizes that he'll end up more miserable than before. :fluttercry:

Faved, liked, and a possible canidate for a show on Everfree radio. :rainbowkiss:

i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/169/188/why%20cant%20i%20hold%20all%20these%20feels.png

Very well written and touching, I say.

On a more serious note, why are there so few TwilightxWhooves fics?

Uwaahh:fluttershbad:
*sniff*:fluttercry:
700289 Silly, you don't hold feels, ya eat them!

Hang on, this took an hour to write? Nuh?
Never mind. Have a pikachu.
█░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄███▀
░█░░░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀░░░█▀
░░▀▄░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▄▀
░░░░▌░▄▄░░░▄▄░▐▀▀
░░░▐░░█▄░░░▄█░░▌▄▄▀▀▀▀█
░░░▌▄▄▀▀░▄░▀▀▄▄▐░░░░░░█
▄▀▀▐▀▀░▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀▌▄▄▄░░░█
█░░░▀▄░█░░░█░▄▀░░░░█▀▀▀
░▀▄░░▀░░▀▀▀░░▀░░░▄█▀
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░▀▄
░░░█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█░░█░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█▄█░░▄ :pinkiesmile:

I wonder if maybe the only thing that keeps him going is to get to those days when everybody lives.

"Everypony smiles, Twilight! Just this once! Everypony smiles!"

:heart:

Now I must search for more twilightxdoctor ships.

well written, now i wish there was more to this story

Oh my gods... I feel so loved! I'm so glad you all enjoyed it, the story came together off of two egg rolls, a gallon of tea, and a sleepless, lonely night.

700289 I wonder that too, I think the two are just the most adorable pairing. :twilightblush:

700336 Pikachu! I love you! Yeah, this took an hour to write, I just kind of sat at my computer and let whatever happens happen.

I can't help but love you all! I felt so loved when I opened my tabs today to see so many alerts. Stay awesome, people! :scootangel:

you wrote this in an hour? sweet celestia, your good

Loved it.... I might consider to use this on a reading show I am going to have.... We will see :yay:

omg adorbs :heart: and you deserve a stashe :moustache: this was goooood :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

TwiDoctor is the best pair.

Plus, those are the feels that I read for, the ones that can warm my cynical and patchwork heart.
Well done, you brought a small, manly tear to the corner of my eye.:pinkiesad2:

That is amazing for only one hour of work. Great job!

You wrote a better love story in one hour than twilight did in 4 books and 5 movies.:trollestia:

764805 twilight wrote 4 books and 5 movies?:twilightoops: why haven't i been told about this?:trixieshiftright:

:rainbowkiss: oh, i see what you did there

775030 772243 I want to see these movies right now! :flutterrage:

Anyway, thanks for liking my story! :scootangel:

700194
magic life extender for twilight?:facehoof:

Love this story :heart: There should be more TwilightxDoctor stories, they are my favourite!:twilightsmile:

700289 948731
agreed
700336
a pikachu with a handlebar mustash

also pikachu auto-corrects to spinach weird

700194
do you know how old the princesses are, do ponies age like people, Doc #1 was old... I mean old guy with a cane old, time lords do age, just slow, he hasn't been old in a while (man that is weird to say/type) but that's cause he keeps dyeing (also weird to say/type) so it doesn't catch up with him, and if this pony form counts he is either on his last or next to last life... he will eventually age and die, sure he's got another 8,9 hundred years maybe even a bit over a thousand, I mean he was like infirm and old with a gruff old guy voice at 850~, he looked a little more healthy than my great grandpa, like he was 85 instead of 856 so let's say he ages at one tenth our rate, he looks about 20-30 something, I don't know how horses age let alone magical ponies, heck maybe twilight will outlive him, I'm not much of a bronie, much more of a whovian so most of my gaps are on that side, yes with any of his human companions, heck even with most of his alien ones, but he's got a maybe with river, and a maybe with twilight (or any of the other ponies for all I know) the princesses live for thousands and thousands of years and haven't aged hardly at all, I don't know why, but it is seen as an extraordinarily long period of time, so ponies do age and die eventually with the two of them (plus discord and the dragons) being exceptions, ok but twi is big-time magical and has a piece (or one of or however it works) of the elements of harmony, has magic as her 'special skill' and is close to the princesses, with help they could make it work,
and all else failing continued exposure to the time vortex, (maybe + magic) can work wonders, it worked for river, almost worked for rose but she kinda burned out and took too much... yeah... probly best to be careful around that

I can definitely say I would adore to see you write out the one month prior to this moment. Of course it would need huge amounts of plot arrangements and whatnot, but coming from one person, I think it would prove well.

1573887 Well the Doctors regeneration are debatable due to the fact the council set the limit of 13 regeneration which was destroyed along with galifrey and even further there are ways around it with the council gone the doctor may have unlimited lives..but that's my opinion .

this in an hour?

oh...you're good...you're very, very good:moustache:

I LOVE YOU This story was amazing for one hour.

wow just wow... This was amazing I only wish there was more of it. You did good man you did good

3686917

I wish there was more than a single chapter, as well.

Comment posted by Ecstatic deleted Dec 28th, 2013

He was The Destroyer Of Worlds.

ONORE DECADE!!! I mean, DOCTOR!!!!

700194 But that's the nature of living, not everything can be milk and cookies. The important part is simply to always get back up after we fall. :rainbowdetermined2:

~Leonzilla

I don't have words to say how I feel. It was very beautiful

700289
Is your name a reference to captain jack sparrow?

"Everyone that ever traveled with me has died." He choked out. "One thing has happened to me throughout my entire life... in the end, they all die."

Yeah it always cost the doctor to lose so many people who travel with him some left him some people get left behind and even some died and that's one of the most unfortunate events that he has to live with that

Dang I would say this is a pretty sad one seeing the doctor really felt he was responsible for the deaths of his companions but Twilight wants to reassure him that he's not the monster that he said to himself but a kind honey who wants to help people she even told him she was in love with him and the doctor really liked her as well he just never realized until now I will say this was a pretty nice one a short one but nice keep up the good work

Login or register to comment