• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 742 Views, 5 Comments

Goodbye Opal... - Bubbabob



Rarity and Sweetie Belle mourn the loss of Opalescense.

  • ...
 5
 742

Loss in the Family

Rarity sat in the lobby nervously, wringing her hooves together. Beside her sat Sweetie Belle who was trying to mask her sobs in her sister’s side. Rarity glanced at the clock again to see how much time had passed.

Another minute.

Another minute not knowing if her Opalescence was going to be alright.

______________________________________________________________________________

Today had started like any other. Rarity had woken up and went through her morning ritual like usual: taking a shower, brushing her teeth, brushing her coat, mane, and tail. She walked down stairs and immediately filled up Opal’s food and water dish. When she didn’t come to the sound of food Rarity just shrugged and started making breakfast. A few minutes later, Sweetie Belle walked into the kitchen, her eyes still heavy from sleep.

“Morning, Rarity,” Sweetie Belle said groggily before yawning.

“Good morning, Sweetie,” Rarity said in a sing-song voice, “You alright dear? You look positively exhausted.”

“I’m fine, just a dumb old bad dream.” She sat at the table and waited for Rarity to finish cooking. While they were eating a hearty breakfast of pancakes, Sweetie Belle looked at Opal’s food dish curiously.

“Hey Rarity, where’s Opal?” She asked.

“I don’t know, dear.” Rarity said, “She didn’t come when I started pouring the food. But you know how she is sometimes, she’ll come over when she feels like it.” Sweetie Belle shrugged, accepting that answer. Speaking of Opal, remember it’s your turn to change her litter today. Be a dear and do that before you leave for school please.” Sweetie Belle groaned and banged her head against the table, Rarity smiling at her antics.

After doing the dishes, Rarity walked into her workroom to continue working on her orders. Just as she was about to start, Sweetie Belle ran into the room with fear and worry in her eyes. “Rarity! Something’s wrong with Opal!” she shouted frantically, “She’s lying next to her litter box and not moving!” Rarity’s eyes widened and rushed to the utility room where they kept the litter box.

Lying on the floor, barely breathing, was Opalescence.

Rarity sat down on the ground and began petting her cat. “Opal, what’s wrong?” Rarity asked her cat, her voice filled with concern. Opal’s eyes briefly flashed towards Rarity before she start howling in pain. “Opal!” Rarity shrieked. Opal continued to howl for several seconds before going silent, breathing shallowly.

It took a few moments to gather her thoughts before she turned to her teary eyed sister. “Sweetie Belle,” she said in a firm yet gentle voice, “I need you to go find me a small blanket or towel that I can wrap Opal in. Can you do that for me?” Sweetie rapidly nodded before trotting off. Rarity turned back to Opal and continued to pet her. Opal was completely unresponsive, not a twitch of the eye or a flick of the ear. The only indication Rarity had that her cat was alive was the small rise and fall of her side and the occasional twitch of her cat’s legs.

Sweetie Belle came rushing back holding a purple towel in her magic. Using her own, Rarity took the towel from her sister and thanked her before gently lifting Opal and wrapping her in the towel.

As she got up to leave, she turned to Sweetie Belle. “I’m going to the vet,” Rarity began, “You can skip school and come with me if you want, but I’m going to run ahead of you.” She was at the front door at this point holding Opal with her magic. Sweetie nodded in understanding just before Rarity thrust the door open and rushed outside. It was that time of the morning where ponies were rushing to get to work, making the roads rather crowded.

None of that mattered to Rarity.

The fashionista bobbed and weaved between ponies and carts, not slowing down for an instant. Some ponies even got out of her way when they saw the determined look on her face. Behind her, Sweetie Belle did her best to follow her sister, but her short legs made it hard to keep up.

Rarity brought Opal to her face and gently nuzzled her. “Don’t worry dear, we’re almost there,” she whispered.

When she reached the veterinary building, Rarity burst through the door startling a yellow earth pony mare with a two-toned blue mane. “Dr. Cureall!” Rarity shouted as she ran to the recovering mare, “Something is wrong with my Opal!” Rarity unwrapped her cat to let Cureall see her condition.

The veterinary’s eyes widened. “Quickly! Follow me,” she said before going into one of the examination rooms. Rarity followed her in where Cureall gestured to the examination table. Rarity gently set Opal down who looked even worse than before. Cureall looked over at Rarity. “I’m sorry Miss Rarity, but I’m going to need you to leave while I do my examination.”

Rarity was hesitant to leave, but slowly nodded. She bent down and kissed Opal on the head and whispered, “Don’t worry Opal, mama will be just outside the door.” She stroked her cat a few times and kissed her again before heading towards the door. Casting one last look over her shoulder, she left the room. In the lobby was Sweetie Belle who was struggling to regain her breath.

______________________________________________________________________________

It had been fifteen minutes since they arrived and while Rarity knew that it hadn’t been that long, it still felt like hours had passed. Just as she was about to scream in frustration, the door to the examination room opened. Both Rarity and Sweetie’s ears perked up looking over at the source of the noise. They both stood up and looked over at Cureall hopefully…

...and noticed her expression.

Oh Celestia no…

Cureall looked up at them with a downcast expression and spoke in a somber voice. “I’m sorry Miss Rarity and Sweetie Belle, but Opal has passed away.”

Sweetie Belle’s reaction was immediate. She flung herself into Rarity’s chest and began to openly while Rarity held her little sister. Rarity had a shocked look on her face, her emotions not letting her decide on what she should be feeling quite yet.

“W-what happened?” Rarity finally managed to get out.

Cureall sighed. “Opal had a build up of crystals in her urinary tract, preventing her from urinating for the past few days. She died from a bladder infection.”

Rarity was quiet for a moment before asking in a wavery voice, “W-was she in pain at the end?”

Dr. Curall shook her head, “No, she passed away peacefully as if she was going to sleep.” Rarity took some comfort in that fact.

The front door opened unexpectedly, startling the three ponies in the lobby. Looking over they saw Twilight followed by Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie whose mane looked deflated. Applebloom and Scootaloo suddenly popped up from behind Applejack and Rainbow Dash. All of them looked at the crying pair with concern on their faces.

“G-girls?” Rarity stammered, “what are you doing here?”

Her friends and their sisters looked over at Pinkie. “My Pinkie sense told me something really sad was going to happen and that I needed to gather everyone together,” the pink mare spoke in a surprisingly quiet tone.

Applejack approached the two sisters followed by Applebloom. “Sugarcube?” the farm mare asked looking at Rarity, “did something happen to Opal?”

Rarity lasted several seconds before losing her composure.

She pulled Applejack into a hug and began sobbing into the mare’s shoulder. Applejack hung her head sadly, returning the hug. Applebloom pulled Sweetie Belle away and embraced her friend in a hug of her own. Rarity and Sweetie hardly noticed as the rest of their friends came and embraced their mourning friends.

Author's Note:

Out cat died last Tuesday from a bladder infection. When I saw him... It was just like in the story. My mom took him to the vet while I had to head for school. She called me later while I was on the bus and told me what happened. I broke down a few times throughout the day.

I'll miss you, Buttons, you fat, fat cat you.

Comments ( 2 )

6712972
7 years old, about middle-aged for a cat.

It hurt's to lose a pet....
I am sorry for your loss...:fluttershysad:

Login or register to comment