• Published 4th Feb 2016
  • 5,106 Views, 166 Comments

The Mare Who Became Queen - misskoifishpony



Long ago, when Saddle Arabia was young and new, a chaotic king takes in a shy pegasus as his queen. Will she have enough courage to face the perils and dangers ahead?

  • ...
11
 166
 5,106

The New Queen of Saddle Arabia

Author's Note:

MissKoi doesn't own MLP or the story and media that this fanfic is based on, for they belong to their respective owners and creators. MissKoi also doesn't own Disney's Aladdin song "Prince Ali" and it's lyrics, for it rightfully belongs to it's owners and creators. I had to change some of the lyrics for sake of plot. Esther's parade outfit is basically her outfit from the last chapter, only with a different color scheme and different jewels and a tiara. I do not own the outfit, it belongs to Trotsworth on Deviantart.

Chapter 4: The New Queen of Saddle Arabia

A title card is shown before us, written in elegant font...

"The Next Day"

The title card was being hold up by our one and only narrator. She cheerfully smirked at us, "What? You were expecting some narration perhaps?"

She chuckled lightly before disappearing into the shadows with her title card.

In her disappearance, a large crowd of ponies is shown waiting inside of a tall building. The tall building was located at the beginning of the main boulevard of the kingdom.

Esther was peeking through the cracks of the front door, and saw the Saddle Arabian citizens lining up on each side of the main boulevard. She was wearing a flowing white shirt accented with diamond beads. She also had a pure white saddle on her back, diamonds embedded in her mane and tail, a thin but shimmering light blue veil on her muzzle, white feathers sticking on top of head, an a golden but thin topaz incrusted tiara sitting on her forehead.

Just seeing all those ponies waiting for the parade...waiting for her...she felt like she could huddle tightly into a corner.

How did this all happen? She thought to herself.

Yesterday, she was just an ordinary mare. But now,...she was the queen of all Saddle Arabia.

Why did this happen? she also thought to herself.

"Great view, huh?"

Esther quickly spun around and saw King Xerxes with his head near hers. He had a very excited grin on his face. His Royal Higness was wearing his usual royal gear, with golden trimmings and accents all over. She backed away from Xerxes, and turned her head slightly away from him.

"Well, um, not exactly."

"What's the matter my dear? Aren't you excited for your parade?"

"It's...not that. It's just...all those ponies out there. They'll all be...staring at me."

"Well of course they will be! After all, you're their new queen!"

She whispered nervously "But...that's the problem. You see, I have terrible stage fright."

"Stage fright? But...you were able to perform last night just fine and..."

"Only because you requested me to do so, Your Majesty."

King Xerxes felt a twinge of guilt, piercing through his heart. As much as he loved the fact that she sang for him last night, he felt awful in forcing her to face her fear. And now, he was doing it again. What kind of king was he if he couldn't make his own queen happy? Especially after doing so much for him.

Then, a oil lamp, with a fire coming out of its spout, magically appeared above his head. He exclaimed to himself, "Aha!"

After that, he licked his two fingers and pinched the fire out of his idea lamp.

He snapped his tail feathers together and magically summoned a giant Asian elephant into the room. This elephant made some of the ponies in the room scatter and run away. The elephant was decorated with bells, tassels, and flowers all over its body. On top of its back was a colorful, tented, elephant saddle...big enough for two ponies to sit in.

"Oh Esther!" Xerxes chimed, "There's someone here that wants to meet you."

Esther lifted her eyes towards the King and gazed upon the giant and beautiful elephant behind him. She gasped excitedly at it. He could see the stars in her eyes, and her little gasp made him chuckle.

The shy pegasus fluttered joyously towards the elephant and proclaimed, "Oh my goodness! An Asian elephant!"

King Xerxes followed his queen casually while laughing, "I knew that she would cheer you up."

"Oh what's her name?"

"That's up for you to decide, my dear."

Esther looked up into the beautiful, long eyelashed, brown eyes of her new friend. The elephant was so calm and peaceful, despite the large crowd surrounding at it. The gentle giant reached its trunk towards Esther's hoof and lightly touches it. Esther used her hooves to softly pet and hold the elephant's trunk.

Esther felt like she was in an amazing dream. She had read about these wonderful creatures, but never thought that she would meet one in the flesh.

She whispered sweetly while smiling at the elephant, "Gabrielle. Gabrielle is a nice name."

"Gabrielle it is." Xerxes softly commented while smiling lovingly at Esther.

Then, he went over and patted Gabrielle's trunk, "She can be our escort for the parade...if you want."

"Really?! We can ride her?!"

"But of course!"

"Really?! Oh my goodness! Thank you Xerxes! Thank you so much! Did you hear that Gabrielle? We can get to go to the parade together."

Then, Esther gave Gabrielle a big and warm hug around her trunk. And Gabrielle responded by wrapping its trunk slightly around the pegasus's waist.

Xerxes soon added in a slight nervous tone, "Just don't forget that...I'll be there too."

Esther released her grip on Gabrielle's trunk, and turned her body to face Xerxes. His Majesty continued his thoughts while rubbing the back of his neck, "I just don't want you to feel alone. You know. And I figured that...I could be the company you need. Along with Gabrielle of course."

Esther blushed. This was a whole new side to the King. He was nervous, hesitant, and shy. It was strange for Esther because she had seen so many sides to this mysterious creature within a matter of hours. There was always a new surprise to him, and he would only revealed these surprises to her whenever she was around. A peculiar dilemma for the new queen to solve on her own.

However, she felt extremely grateful for the King's kindness and consideration. A shy smile slowly grew on her face...and this smile was for Xerxes. His bright toothy grin returned once he saw her smile.

Moriyah marched in and greeted her King with a formal guard bow. Then, she announced, "The streets are cleared, Your Excellency."

Xerxes cheered while clapping his hands together, "Excellent! Let's get this shing-ding started!"

Moriyah bowed again, with a blank expression on her, "Right away Your Majesty."

Then, she shifted her eyes towards Esther. Her sweet and shy cousin stared at her with such innocent eyes...begging for Moriyah to talk to her. It took all of the purple unicorn's will power to look away from Esther. She headed to her troops, towards the front building. Moriyah kept telling herself that Esther will be fine, and that she'll see her tonight.

Oh Xerxes...why did you have to take Esther? She sadly wondered to herself.

Meanwhile, Esther watched cousin Moriyah walked away from her. She knew that Moriyah couldn't be seen talking to her, especially around Hamana. But still,...it felt so strange for Esther to be in a position higher than her cousin. It's like Esther became the older more stern sister to Moriyah.

"Are you ready to go my sweet?"

Esther turned her head around and saw Xerxes holding out his lion paw to her. He was hanging onto the ladder, climbing up to the tented saddle on Gabrielle's back. At first, she didn't want to take his paw. However...his eager yet kind smile changed her mind.

As soon as she placed her hoof in his paw, he excitedly flew her up the ladder and into their seats. With a snap of his talon, the ponies in front of Gabrielle opened the massive doors. Thus, allowing the royal elephant and the parade ponies to marched through.

Simcha exclaimed while bouncing into the air, "Let's do this!"

The civilians were in star-struck awe of the parade. There were fire breathers, balloons, confetti, flowers, acrobats, ribbon dancers, and exotic creatures of all sorts dancing on the street. Hamana rode in her usual golden chariot; only this time, it was pulled by the royal guards, instead of those over worked colts.

She waved at the ponies on the street with great pride in herself. She had done it. She had found the King a queen. In a short amount of time too! She felt giddy, like a young school filly. She looked back slightly at the royal couple behind her. Riding in their lavished elephant. King Xerxes was waving slowly at his subjects with a prideful smirk on his face. Hamana could tell that he was proud of his little prize, his sweet Esther. The Pegasus queen was waving at the cheering crowd as well, but with a nervous smile. Hamana also noticed that a rainbow pegasus caught Esther's eye. The rainbow pegasus kept cheering Esther's name, and this made the new queen genuinely smile.

Hamana smirked at Esther. She then ponders to herself, Better her than the Great and Powerful Hamana to be his Queen. It takes a mad mare to love him. Besides, if Hamana was lucky enough to rule this kingdom, she would prefer to do that alone, thank you very much.

She turned back to crowd and went back to waving at the adoring Saddle Arabians.

Moriyah and the King's army marched in front of this parade and proudly sing out loud...
Make way for the King and Queen!
Say hey! It's the King and Queen!

There was a group of belly dancers prancing about behind the King's army. And this group was lead by none other than Simcha. She sang while skipping about in the crowds on the street...
Hey! Clear the way in the old Bazaar
Hey you!
Let us through!
It's a bright new star!
Oh Come!
Be the first on your block to meet their eye!

After that, she banged on a couple of the ponies like bongos; along with some large flower pots by the streets. She sang along to her own beat...
Make way!
Here they come!
Ring bells! Bang the drums!
Are you gonna love these guys?!

She pointed her hoof towards the royal elephant, directing the audience's attention towards King Xerxes and Queen Esther. She sang cheerfully...
The King and Queen! The Fabulous We!
Of Saddle Arabia!
Genuflect, show some respect
Down on one knee!
Now, try your best to stay calm
Brush up your sunday salaam
Then come and meet their spectacular
coterie!

King Xerxes magically lifted Esther and placed her on top of Gabrielle's raised trunk. This made Esther stiffen, for she was also afraid of heights. She kept her front hooves close to her chest, and focused on keeping her balance. Meanwhile, Simcha particularly sang to the stallions on the crowd, and directed their gazes towards Esther. Hearts formed in the statllions' eyes when seeing the beautiful pegasus.
Esther the Queen!
Lovely is she!
Of Saddle Arabia!
Prettier than ten mares, definitely!
She faced the galloping hordes
A hundred bad guys with swords
Who made those goons and their lords swoon?
Why, Esther the Queen!

Simcha sang while dancing around some sandy gold camels and peacocks marching on the street...
They've got seventy-five golden camels
Purple peacocks
They've got fifty-three

Simcha climbed up Gabrielle's foot and sang...
When it comes to exotic-type mammals
Has they got a zoo?
I'm telling you,
it's a world-class menagerie!

King Xerxes poofed Esther back to her seat in the saddle. Then, he stands up and posed for the audience below; with a particularly toothy smirk on his face. He even added muscles into his arms for a more impressive show. Esther tried to contain her own giggles. Simcha randomly popped up behind the couple and sang...
King Xerxes! Handsome is he, of Saddle Arabia!
That physique! How can you speak?!
Weak at the knee
Well, get on out in that square
Adjust your veil and prepare
To gawk and grovel and stare at King Xerxes!

Then, every pony in the parade sang together while cute little white monkeys scurried around their marching hooves...
They got ninety-five white Persian monkeys

A couple of the stoic guards danced in a jazzy way, and sang...
They got the monkeys, let's see the monkeys!

Every pony in the parade then sang harmoniously while King Xerxes throws gold coins to the audience...
And to view them his royal majesty charges no fee

The civilians greedily gathered the gold coins in their hooves, and happily sang to their King...
He's generous, so generous

Simcha sang while riding the golden chariot with Hamana...
They've got slaves, servants, and flunkies

Hamana's face changed from an egotistical smile to a frustrated frown when Simcha gestured her hoof towards the royal visor when she sang "flunkies". But luckily, Simcha skipped out of Hamana's chariot before the blue unicorn could straggle her.

The royal parade was getting closer to the palace, and as they approached the hill, they sang...
They bow to their whim, love serving them
They're just lousy with loyalty to King Xerxes!
And his Queen!

BAM! They burst through the front gates and proclaimed in their song...
The King and Queen!
The Amorous we! Of Saddle Arabia
They're just a couple lovely to see
And that, good ponies, is why they got dolled up and dropped by
With sixty hippos, llamas galore
With their bears and lions
A brass band and more
With their forty bakers, their cooks, candle-stick makers,
And birds that warble on key!
Make way for the King and Queen!

Every pony laughed and cheered when the parade was over. They disbursed into separate directions in the palace and went back to their usual duties. Meanwhile, Gabrielle took the royal couple to the back of the palace.

Once Gabrielle the elephant halted at their destination, Esther and Xerxes carefully climbed down the saddle's ladder. They were laughing, reminiscing about their fun at the parade. Especially Esther.

She exclaimed while trying to calm down her own laughter, "That was so much fun! I never knew that parades could be so wonderful."

"You see my dear, you had nothing to fear. You know, you're a lot braver than you get yourself credit for."

"M-Maybe." Esther walked over to Gabrielle and hugged her trunk dearly, "Thank you Gabrielle, you were lovely today."

Gabrielle, in response, grabbed Esther by the waist and picked her up two feet in the air. This made Esther giggle sweetly. King Xerxes began to appreciate, and even adore, the sound of her laughter. It sounded like little chimes blowing in the desert breeze. It was funny because he never thought he could actually love the sound chimes before.

When Gabrielle put Esther back on the ground, the yellow pegasus finally took in the beautiful details of her surroundings. She was in a garden. A large, luscious, green garden filled with jasmine, palm trees, lotus flowers, cactuses, birds of paradise, and a pond. Esther slowly looked around this magical place. She felt like she was in one of her dreams. She couldn't believe her own eyes.

"I told ya that I hold you to your word."

Esther turned around and saw His Majesty...a couple of feet from her...standing by Gabrielle...with a warm smile on his face. She had almost forgot the promise she made to him last night.

"You...you weren't kidding about this garden. It's...it's beautiful."

"Just like you, my dearest."

Esther's eyes widened, her face turned red. Her heart pounded in her chest when he started to approach her.

"That is why I officially named this place after you."

"Oh n-no, y-you don't have t-to do that." She stuttered, "I-I d-don't need a garden named after me. Really."

"Oh please, it's the least that I could do. After all, I am your king now. And you..."

Xerxes took both of her front hooves into his paw and claw. He cooed softly, "are now my loving and devoted queen."

Her face reddened even more. She could her whole body shaking from his touch. She didn't think it was possible but...he took her breath away.

Then, he took her by the waist and hold her high with his arms. He brought his face just a couple of inches away from hers. Her eyes expressed uncertainty and terror. He sighed in a soothing and deep voice, "And...we're finally alone...as king and queen."

Now, her heart was screaming in her ears. Her head felt so hot and faint that she could pass out. Everything was going so fast. Her mind was in a swirling blur. What was she to do? Especially now that his lips were getting closer...and closer...to her lips. It was too soon for a kiss! They just meet last night! Esther had to think of something clever...and fast!

Just when Xerxes had closed his eyes...and just when his kiss was just centimeters away...a soft yet hard touch stopped his lips. He opened eyes and saw it was Esther's delicate hoof that stopped his kiss.

Esther then reasoned with a nervous smile, "I am actually...quite tired for the moment." She fake yawned to emphasize her point, "Oh yes, very tired. I should really...take a nap. Yes! A nap should do the trick! Oh um, is that...alright Your Maj-I mean...Xerxes?"

He replied in a confused tone "Oh, um, yes. Of course. What was I thinking? That parade must have....here, let me take you to your room."

King Xerxes then cradled his new bride in his arms, preparing to teleport. Esther gave a little wave to Gabrielle, who was now by the pond. The gentle elephant gave Esther a friendly wave before they poofed away.

When Esther opened her eyes, she saw that they were standing outside a tall two handle bedroom door in a great and long hall.

The King settled Esther back on to the ground, and stated, "Ah here we are, your room. Now, if you need anything...anything at all, my room is just down the hall."

"Thank you, um, Xerxes. I appreciate your hospitality."

"Oh its not hospitality, my dear. This palace is much as your home as it is mine."

"My home?" She whispered.

"Esther, if you're not too busy tomorrow," he commented nervously while rubbing the back of his neck, "would you perhaps...like to...join me...in the throne room?"

"Oh, um...sure. I...I don't see why not."

The King's nerves melted away, and a big happy smile soon returned to his face. "Wonderful! See you tomorrow my sweet!"

With a snap of his talon, the draconquees teleported himself to his bedroom. He pumped his fist and cheered, "Yes! Nailed it! Oh Xerxes, you sly dog you. Ha ha!"

As soon as the King poofed away, Esther quickly opened the bedroom door and slammed it behind her. She sighed as she softly slid against the door behind her. Today was just...too much for her.

When she opened her eyes, she was shocked to find a large group of mares in her room. Staring at her and smiling at her. She jumped and squeaked in fear. Soon, they all bowed their heads to her and graciously stated, "Welcome Your Majesty."

"Oh, um, hello. Who are you?"

Ruth, Queen's Vashti's former first lady in waiting, came up to Esther and explained, "We're yerr ladies in waiting, Yerr Majesty. And Ah'm Ruth, yerr first lady in waiting. Pleasure to meet ya."

"Oh, um, it's a pleasure to meet you too. All of you. Um, Ruth?"

"Yes, Yerr Excellency?"

"Is it alright if every pony just calls me Esther? I mean, it's my actual name and.."

"Ah'm afraid that we can't do that Yerr Highness."

"Oh, I see." Esther uttered in disappointment.

Ruth then asked, "Anything we can help you with, Queen Esther?"

"Oh, that won't be necessary. I was just going to change and take a nap."

"Oh but Yerr Highness, we can do that. Girls!"

Esther then got swarmed by the large crowd of ladies in waiting. They were tugging on her clothes, her legs, her hooves, and even her hair. Esther squeaked in their grasp, praying for them to stop.

Suddenly, the tugging stopped. Esther looked down and saw that she was in silky smooth pajamas. It felt like she was wearing a cloud. She touched the sleeves, it was like petting a kitten.

"Oh wow..." she whispered out loud.

Then, the ladies in waiting picked up their new queen and tucked her into her new queen sized bed. As they strolled towards the bedroom door, Ruth gently reminded Esther, "If ya need anything Yerr Highness, we'll be right outside."

"T-Thank you."

All the ladies bowed and announced together, "You're welcome Your Majesty. Good night."

The large group of mares quietly shut the giant doors behind them. Leaving Esther...alone...in her large yet ravishing room. She brought the sheets close to her muzzle and whimpered, "Good night."


"Psst! Esther!"

The shy pegasus was awoken by the sounding of tapping on her bedroom window in the middle of the night.

She tiredly removed her head off her pillow and directed her weary gaze towards the window.

"Moriyah!", she exclaimed happily.

Her cousin smiled back at her and waved. She was standing on the Queen's private balcony outside the bedroom windows. Esther leapt out of bed and headed toward the balcony.

Esther opened the windows quickly, in order to hug her cousin tightly and lovingly.

She proclaimed with glee, "Cousin Moriyah! Oh, I've missed you soo much!"

Moriyah patted her cousin's on the back and responded warmly, "I've miss you too Essie. I've missed you so much."

They separated a little from their hug, in order to see each others' face. Moriyah then told Esther, "I'm so sorry that I had to ignore you today. I didn't want to. It's just..."

"It's alright Moriyah, I understand why you did it. We get to talk now and that's all that matters."

Moriyah smiled brightly at her cousin. But then, a question bubbled from her throat, "How are you doing Esther? He's not...mistreating you...is he?"

"No...He isn't mistreating me. In fact, he has done nothing but spoil me all day."

"But...you're not happy."

Esther slowly released Moriyah from her grip. She reached for the tiara on top of her head and stared down at it. She explained in a somber tone, "He...never asked me Moriyah. He never asked me if I wanted to be queen. Or if I wanted to be his queen. Or if I...love him. In fact, I don't even know if he loves me."

"Esther..." The purple unicorn gently placed her hoof on her cousin's shoulder.

"It's okay Moriyah, it isn't your fault."

The captain of guard then started to pace the balcony floor, thinking aloud as she paced, "Oh Esther, there just has to be a good reason why you're here."

"W-What do you mean?"

"There has to be a reason why Celestia sent you here and why She made you Queen. After all, She just couldn't just let one of Her ponies live like this!"

"You...you think that Celestia sent me here? For a reason? Why?"

"I do not know what the reason may be, but I do know that Celestia has a plan. A plan for each us. A destiny...a purpose...and that includes you Esther."

"M-Me...Oh no, She doesn't have that kind of plan for me. I'm just an ordinary mare. What can I do?"

"Esther, you can do more than you know."

The yellow pegasus backed away from her cousin...step by step...trying to comprehend what her cousin was trying to tell her. But, her mind just didn't want to believe in it...even though her Moriyah's words sounded sincere and true.

Esther finally uttered after a long moment of silence, "It's getting late. You should probably go to bed."

"I, uh, guess you're right. I'll...see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'll see ya tomorrow."

As Moriyah climbed down the palace wall, while Esther slowly returned to her grand bed. She gave her tiara once last look before placing it on her bed stand.

The new queen of Saddle Arabia...drifted into the land of her dreams. The dreams about her normal yet peaceful life. A life before all this crazy mess.