• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 2,347 Views, 56 Comments

The Family of the Season - CartoonNerd12



The royal family all comes together for this wonderful holiday.

  • ...
2
 56
 2,347

Chapter 11

The theatre darkened as Sombra, Button, and Pip sat in front of the audience. Though they weren't performing something for the show, they wondered where their wives were, who were supposed to be with them. Suddenly, the overture started and the curtain parted. A large Hearth's Warming tree was standing in the middle of the stage with an assortment of presents around it. Twilight then came up as a spotlight landed on her.

"Welcome, loyal subjects of Equestria, and Happy Hearth's Warming Eve!"

The audience cheered.

"For those new to Canterlot, every Hearth's Warming Eve, my sisters and I performed the pageant of the founding of Equestria. We would also add extra performances of our choosing. This year, there are a couple of changes. Instead of us performing the pageant, that honor shall go to our children to start a new generation of performers so that the history of how Equestria started shall live on for years to come."

The audience applauded.

"So with that said…I give you the royal Canterlot family's holiday showcase!"

More cheers.

"The opening number shall be performed by me, my sisters, and our mother and cousin. Boys, this one's for you." Twilight winked at her father, Button, and Pip as they had wide eyes.

The husbands who were backstage watching exchanged confused looks with their wives, who just smiled.

The orchestra started playing and Sweetie Belle came on, causing Button to gape as she magically took a present from the tree and opened it up. She sang.

"On the first day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… A magical shell of the sea!"

Scootaloo then came on and unwrapped another present, singing out, "On the second day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Pinkie came on, "On the third day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Twilight came back on, singing, "On the fourth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Rarity made her way on, "On the fifth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cup-cakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Fluttershy was next, "On the sixth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Rainbow Dash zoomed in, wearing Wonderbolt wear, "On the seventh day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Seven Wonderbolts a-racing!"

"Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Celestia then came on, causing Sombra to be shocked, "On the eighth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Eight crowns a-shining!"

"Seven Wonderbolts a-racing!"

"Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Cadence appeared, "On the ninth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Nine roses blooming!"

"Eight crowns a-shining!"

"Seven Wonderbolts a-racing!"

"Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Apple Bloom came on to unwrap her present, showing off a finished painting, "On the tenth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Ten painters painting!"

"Nine roses blooming!"

"Eight crowns a-shining!"

"Seven Wonderbolts a-racing!"

"Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

Applejack finally came on, singing out, "On the eleventh day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Eleven pies a-baking!"

"Ten painters painting!"

"Nine roses blooming!"

"Eight crowns a-shining!"

"Seven Wonderbolts a-racing!"

"Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of the sea!"

The girls faced the audience and sang all together, "On the twelfth day of Hearth's Warming, my true love gave to me… Twelve jewels a-sparkling!"

"Eleven pies a-baking!"

"Ten painters painting!"

"Nine roses blooming!"

"Eight crowns a-shining!"

"Seven Wonderbolts a-racing!"

"Six mice a-sewing!"

"Five emerald rings!"

"Four storybooks!"

"Three cupcakes!"

"Two awesome scooters!"

"And a magical shell of… the sea!"

The music stopped and every pony let out thunderous applause as the girls took a bow. The curtains closed as they got off the stage and was dealt with smirking husbands. The scenery was quickly changed and Fire Spark got ready for his cue as the curtains opened again. He began to narrate.

"Once upon a time, long before the peaceful rule of Celestia, and before ponies discovered our beautiful land of Equestria…"

The play went on and the kids performed their roles. Cotton was smiling throughout the entire production, but when she watched Zoo-Zoo, she couldn't help but feel bothered by what the young pegasus said to her.

Once Screw Ball and Apple Jewel performed their last scene together, the curtains closed and Twilight came back on to address the audience.

"Before we finish the rest of the pageant, here are some more performances by Canterlot's royal family. I give you Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor in 'The Gift of the Mane-gi'."

The curtains opened, revealing a living room setting of a small house and a couple wearing clothing that was old and ragged. Shining was playing the harmonica as Cadence smiled at him. When he stopped, she said.

"Husband, dear, whenever you play your harmonica, my heart sings."

He smiled as he said, "And whenever I see you, dear wife, with the locket that you wear with only a bit of twine around your neck, I can't help but think that it should be a golden chain to go with your beauty."

They shared a kiss and the audience sighed lovingly.

When they broke apart, Cadence sadly sighed, "If only it were so, husband of mine, but whenever I see that harmonica out in the open, it should be protected in a case so that its music shall be preserved for all time."

"Wouldn't that be something? Unfortunately, all our bits go to food and the house. We're barely making ends meet as it is. There isn't enough for anything extra." Then, the set went dark while a spotlight shined on him. He turned to the audience, "Of course, what my wife doesn't know is that I've been saving on the side so I can afford her Hearth's Warming Eve present this year."

The set lightened up again as Cadence sighed, "I know…" But then, it darkened again, only for the spotlight to be on her this time. "But what my husband doesn't know is that I found some bits this year and I've been saving them until Hearth's Warming so I can buy his gift."

The stage lit up again.

"Well, I'm off to work, dear wife." Shining got a scarf and hat.

"I'll see you for dinner, my love." They shared another kiss and he left the set. She turned back to the audience, "In the meantime, I have a present to get."

The stage went black and when the lights came on, it was still the same setting and Shining came on carrying a wrapped present.

"Darling! I'm home!"

Cadence came on as she carried a present as well. "Why, husband! Is that a…?"

"It is, and I see you have a gift, as well…" he smiled.

She giggled, "You know, Hearth's Warming isn't until tomorrow, but perhaps we could…?"

He smiled as they traded gifts and was opening them with joy, but once they saw what they were…

Shining took the harmonica case and unsteadily said, "Oh, wow… a case for my harmonica…"

Cadence took the golden chain out, "And… a chain, for my locket… Oh, husband, it's beautiful… but I… traded my locket for the case…"

He gave a troubled look, "And I traded my harmonica for that chain…"

She gasped, "You didn't! You… did?"

He gave a tiny smile, "You see, I thought I had enough to buy the chain, but it wasn't… so I had to trade in the harmonica."

"Oh, darling… I thought I had enough, too! But when the vendor demanded more, I had to sell the locket…" she humbly smiled.

Shining shook his head, "You know, it isn't the money or the objects. It's the love we share. That's far greater to me than anything else."

Near tears were in her eyes, "It is to me, as well…" They stared at each other lovingly before sharing a deep kiss.

The audience had tears in their eyes as did so many of the royal couples.

Shining and Cadence faced the audience, "Remember: it's not the presents that matter, but the heart behind them." They took a bow and the audience applauded.

The curtain closed on them just as Twilight and Flash made their way to them.

"Great job, you two!" Twilight complimented.

"Depends," pointed Flash. "How much of that was real and how much was acting?" he smirked.

Cadence said, "Does it matter?"

"Probably not."

Twilight checked her list, "Now where is my next act?"

"Right here!" Scootaloo went to her, wearing a gold and silver tutu. The Pegasus had her mane up in a bun and wore a golden tiara on top. "But my partner needs some persuading…" She pointed to a backdrop backstage that showed Rumble's silhouette. "He's having a difficult time facing a full audience."

"Well, he has to. You have to go on stage in two minutes!"

Rumble called back, "But every pony's going to laugh!"

Scootaloo went to him and started pulling on his hoof, "No, they won't!" She managed to drag him from the backdrop and it revealed his golden uniform top and white tights.

Cadence called back to them as she, Shining, and Flash moved to the side, "Break a leg, you two!"

Twilight came from behind the curtain and told the audience, "And now, I present to you Princess Scootaloo and Prince Rumble in the Pas-de-deux from Tchaicowsky's 'The Nutcracker'." She moved away as the curtain parted.