• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 14,845 Views, 1,059 Comments

Synthetic Bottled Sunlight - NorrisThePony



Of all the terrible forces Celestia could have fallen to, Flim Flam Industry was the last one she had expected.

  • ...
43
 1,059
 14,845

Semipalatinsk (Pt. I) [VII]

i

Twilight sighed.

And then, she sighed again as she illuminated her study with her magic.

“I knew I felt something,” she grumbled, fiddling amongst her disorganized affairs for a lighter. She offered a cigarette to Celestia, who responded wordlessly with a disapproving glare.

“We’ve had company.” Twilight motioned to her horn and by extension the overhanging enchantments.

“Figures,” Celestia said through a yawn, unclipping her regalia and carelessly kicking it into the corner. “Familiar magic streams?”

“Nah, it doesn’t feel like they were here for long enough to leave any.”

“Does this happen often to you, Twilight?”

Twilight shrugged, recalling her initial hostile greeting of the trespasser in her library that had ended up being Celestia herself. “From time to time. For a while now, they’ve been looking to demolish this place to make way for a department store. I made it pretty clear I’m not budging.”

“You’re treading on thin ice there,” Celestia warned. “I’m surprised they do not remove you by force with the justification of some legal nonsense. Worked for me, after all.”

“Mmhm. Well, they tried, but turns out they don’t actually have the deed for this place. I do. After your government fell it was auctioned off to the public.”

Celestia frowned. “Surely that was quite expensive for a struggling freelance journalist?”

“Eh, not really,” Twilight said. “I was sitting on a college fund I never ended up using, and with everypony flocking down to New Canterlot, the demand for property up here was pretty low—especially ancient, derelict property.”

“Huh,” Celestia mused. “Then technically, they have trespassed.”

Twilight snorted. “Yep. I have no idea what they expected to find in a condemned library.”

“Probably some manner of arcane doomsday weapons. They probably left when they realized that—to their certain chagrin—we have absolutely nothing to hide.” Celestia rolled her eye.

Then, she coughed and gingerly fanned at the air with a hoof.

“Uh… sorry.” Twilight instantly snuffed out the freshly-lit cigarette in the gutted carriage of a derelict typewriter. “It’s… um, a stress habit.”

“I’ve heard those are not healthy, Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia pointed at the still smoldering bit of paper, frowning like a stern mother.

“I know, I know…” Twilight blushed and looked away, turning her attention to her desk, and more specifically the golden crown that had been stashed out of view inside a hollowed-out section of the underside.

Celestia had been lingering just beyond the entranceway, but she made her way into the study proper the moment Twilight withdrew the Sunstone.

With her regalia gone, Celestia next stepped out of her hoofguards and carelessly let herself fall onto the sofa.

Not wanting to disturb the tired princess, Twilight drove back her own desire to bombard her with questions regarding their future plans. Instead, she wished Celestia a good night and Celestia wished her the same with a pleasant smile.

However, just as Twilight was making her way to the sorting room, Celestia called after her.

“It has been an eventful evening,” Celestia said, once again hovering in the entranceway and staring straight up at the murky yellow night sky bleeding through the roof’s lantern-light. “And you appear quite in need of a long and uninterrupted rest, but would you be interested in a little magic lesson come dawn?”

Twilight scratched an ear and yawned. Celestia was indeed correct about the tired part. “What… what kind of magic lesson?”

“Involving that.” A mischievous glint flashed in Celestia’s expression as she pointed at the Sunstone without turning her gaze from the sky above.

In a moment, much of Twilight’s exhaustion vanished. Magic lesson involving the Sunstone? Come dawn? Surely Celestia didn’t mean—

“Would you like to try lowering the Moon in the morning, Twilight?”

Silence. Twilight could hardly believe her ears.

“With my help, of course!” Celestia added hastily. “Although I understand if you do not wish to right now.”

“Right now?” Twilight repeated. She was still dumbfounded and shocked, but her intuitive curiosity hardly ever rested even in the presence of confusion and surprise. “What do you mean, right now?”

It seemed as though Celestia was proposing it like an eventuality, despite already having claimed that the Sunstone was a contingency plan and nothing more.

Even Celestia’s attitude seemed strange for a moment—she was quick to give a patient smile, but not before her eyes widened like a young filly being caught stealing candy.

“I simply think it would be a good way of showcasing your skill in this place and time,” Celestia said innocently. “And… perhaps helping an old mare out every once and awhile in the future?”

“Uh… okay.” Twilight was still not entirely convinced. The flash of guilt in Celestia’s face had been too pronounced to simply ignore. And yet at the same time, the thought of actually using the fabled Sunstone… on the very moon itself, no less!

Instead of digging into Celestia’s proposal any further, Twilight nodded and accepted it for what Celestia was claiming it to be. A magic lesson. Nothing more.

When Twilight had made her way back into the sorting room and laid on her bed, she was almost cursing Celestia for giving her something to be so anxious for—how was she expected to fall asleep now?

Nonetheless, her exhaustion seemed even greater than her anxiety, and when she next opened her eyes it was due to something gently prodding her back into wakefulness.

“I am extremely sorry,” Celestia offered as Twilight blinked back into consciousness, before starting in surprise at the sight of the princess looming above her sleeping form, a candle hovering in her magic. “I truly did not wish to wake you so early… but you said you wanted to help me, and I figured...”

“No, no, don’t apologize,” Twilight was on her hooves in a moment, still rubbing sleep out of her eyes. “I’m just… it’s dawn already?”

“Yes. It’s a little past seven.”

“Huh.”

Normally, she’d have risen half-a-dozen times between evening and morning. A full night’s sleep was something her perpetually active mind did not often grant her.

They travelled together to the roof of the library, where the night was already bleeding into day and the sun was waiting patiently some ways below the horizon. Twilight brought the Sunstone to her head, the thing wavering a little in her telekinetic grasp, but Celestia drove her forwards with a patient and encouraging smile and Twilight felt some semblance of confidence return.

“Now, I will handle the Sun,” Celestia said. “Normally I raise the Sun while extending my reach to the Moon at the same time. It can be… tiresome, especially when the Moon... fights back. So this time, I will simply raise the Sun and you can keep your focus on the Moon.”

“Wait… the Sunstone works with raising the Moon? How does that make sense—” Twilight hadn’t even finished the sentence before she remembered what Celestia had told her about Luna and the Sunstone. The small fragment of Luna’s magic still living within. “Uh… never mind.”

Celestia pretended she hadn’t spoken at all. “Are you ready, Twilight?”

“Not really. I don’t get what I’m supposed to do.”

“And I don’t know how I can explain it. It is like explaining levitation. Were you taught step by step how to levitate objects, Twilight?”

“No. I just sort of… felt it. If that makes sense.”

“It does. And if you can believe it, raising and lowering the Sun and Moon is very similar. Just on a cosmic scale. Reach your magic out to the Moon. Feel its reply. Let your instincts do the work, and the Sunstone fill the remaining gaps.” Celestia frowned. “And close your eyes. I find that helps.”

With a deep breath, Twilight obeyed. Her eyes closed. Her horn flared to life and the Sunstone joined her magic stream.

She shot her magic into the empty sky blindly, but the vibrating Sunstone on her head gave it direction. Like in the Catacombs, Twilight focused not on her situation or her magic or the Moon, but simply on invisible and imaginary threads. She could clearly feel her own thread of magic, and the Sunstone’s thread was wreathing around hers. Somewhere, Celestia’s was nearby, but weak and distracted, focused elsewhere. Twilight ignored it.

After a bit of searching, she found another thread of magic in the cosmic expanse. Warm, like Celestia’s, but with a sense of distant coolness as well—like a deep lake with warm beaches but frigid depths.

“I… I think I found it,” Twilight said, breathing heavily.

“Good. Stay focused, Twilight. You’re doing fine.”

She cracked open an eyelid and turned her head slightly. Celestia had already dropped the Sun, and was now watching her with a patient smile.

Still panting, Twilight squeezed her eyes shut again as she let her magic leap the rest of the distance and latch itself onto the overhanging moon. Her horn crackled and sparked violently and she let out a pained yell. She was forcing her eyes closed so tightly that they had begun to tear up. As the Sunstone pulsed, she found herself unable to distinguish where her magic began and ended amidst the streams of the rock on her crown and the other far above her head. Twilight felt as though her entire world had been reduced to this one event, any semblance of past or future now condensed into one sparking spell—

A cold, skeletal wing rested on Twilight’s back. Her focus on casting the spell evaporated and she felt her blood curdle in terror. Without any particular reference point, she knew exactly whose wing was presently resting on her back. It was not thanks to her senses, but rather thanks to some metaphysical awareness of something else’s presence.

“Don’t. You. Dare.”

The icy words were breathlessly cooed into Twilight Sparkle’s ear. She dared not open her eyes, but Nightmare Moon’s voice was unmistakable.

In an instant, Twilight severed her link with the moon. She ripped the Sunstone off of her head and let it clatter onto the stone roof as she kept her eyes squeezed shut.

“Thank you,” Nightmare Moon whispered gently. Twilight felt a cold hoof travel down the length of her horn. “And if you ever touch my moon again, I will use your own horn to gouge out your eyes. Am I clear, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight could only nod rapidly.

“Good. I appreciate your understanding.”

With Celestia undoubtedly staring at her in perplexed silence, Twilight dared not offer a reply. As if sensing her thoughts, Nightmare Moon took a step back as if she were about to offer a polite apology.

“Let me guess,” she said. “You’re wondering why I’m not killing you?”

Twilight gave a subtle nod.

Nightmare Moon chuckled—a mirthful one, with the malice that normally grazed her words seemingly abandoned.

“Because I like you. And I respect you. We’re quite similar, you know. Aside from the whole ‘killing my sister’ thing. Hey, perhaps one day we can be friends!

This time, Twilight did more than nod complacently. She opened her eyes and without giving herself any time to contemplate the decision she gave Nightmare Moon a disapproving and confrontational glare.

Nightmare Moon laughed again. “Ooooh! The chubby little kitten has claws! Y’know, I’m really curious to see how you react when your beloved Princess Celestia is dying and you find out you really can’t save her.”

“She’s your own sister,” Twilight whispered, low enough that Celestia would not hear above the howling wind on the library roof.

Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes. “First of all, so what? Second of all, no she isn’t. I’m not Luna.”

The cold wing was removed roughly. Nightmare Moon seemed… irritated. Not the screaming fury from the catacombs, but instead a sort of passive annoyance, like she was watching approaching stormclouds from a picnic mat.

Twilight closed her eyes expectedly, but nothing came. After several seconds, it became clear that whatever magic or hallucination which brought about their confrontation had already passed. When Twilight opened her eyes again, she had to blink several times to clear her face of sheer terror, before turning around to face Celestia who was peering curiously, looking absolutely oblivious to what had just transpired.

“I can’t.” Twilight sunk her head. “I’m sorry.”

“Are you alright?” Celestia took a step closer. “You look as though you just saw a ghost.”

“I… I’m fine.” Twilight gulped. “I just don’t… I can’t do it.”

Nightmare Moon was dead. Celestia had said so, and history had proven so.

And yet the beast who had twice now crossed through Twilight’s mind as a conscious night terror was hardly mistakable. She had only wished to save Celestia’s life, but in the fleeting moment of doing so she had given Nightmare Moon yet another life to terrorize.

Twilight swallowed again. Celestia could not know. It was a confession Twilight could not even begin to think of expressing—how would Celestia respond to the knowledge that through having her life saved, she had inadvertently allowed her friend to be tormented by some extraphysical demon?

“Are you quite sure?” Celestia cocked her head. “I know fear when I see it.”

“I let you down.” Twilight could hesitate no further, and she instead lied without delay. All she could do to explain her evident fear was to blame it on something else.“Please don’t be angry with me.”

Celestia blinked. Guilt flooded into her frown, and at the very sight Twilight felt a guilty flurry in her own stomach.

“Never.”

Her horn began glowing its regal yellow light, and she gracefully lowered the moon, keeping her head low and her eyes closed, not telegraphing the pain it was certainly causing her.

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” Celestia said. She lifted the discarded crown, evidently taking great care not to touch the Sunstone in the middle, and passed it to Twilight, before slinking back down the steps and into the library without another word.

ii

After Twilight made coffee and instant oatmeal for Celestia and herself, she took their breakfasts back onto the roof. Together, they sat listening to the radio and watching the sun stain the sky red.

The library’s back wall dropped off, becoming cliff. New Canterlot lay far below. On the roof of the library on the edge of a mountain there was hardly any interference, and Twilight could even pick up Ponyville’s radio station with a little effort.

Princess Celestia was, unsurprisingly, the preferred topic of discussion. Never before had Twilight seen so much consistency across the wavelengths.

“...in other news, an interesting update in regards to the unexpected return of Princess Celestia, former ruler of Equestria. We’ve got permission from NCPR to re-air an interview with her from last night. That’s coming after these messages, as well as her initial return speech at the end of the hour

Abruptly, Celestia lazily rose a hoof and turned the dial a little, the radio host’s voice first growing distorted and then dissolving into static, before the sound of upbeat jazz came from the radio instead.

“You’re… not curious what they think of you?” Twilight asked.

“Not really.” Celestia shrugged. “I am simply glad to hear that they actually did broadcast our exchange.”

The question had not been without Twilight’s own personal ulterior motives—she’d been explicitly identified by Celestia herself and she had directly rebutted Florina’s points, and now she felt selfishly curious as to how her new position in the center of the infamous Celestia’s life would be seen.

Still, Twilight did not object and listened to the jazzy music without question, munching on her porridge thoughtfully.

“Red sky in the morning,” Celestia mused, pointing with her spoon. “Mariners say that is a signal for an incoming storm.”

“Yeah,” Twilight said. Then, with playful confrontation, she added; “Y’know, the weather stations can say that, too. I thought you were trying not to be a relic, Oh Goddess of the Seven Seas.”

“Glad to see you have inherited your brother’s scathing wit,” Celestia chuckled, although Twilight’s head sunk and her smile vanished at the mention of Shining Armor. Unfortunately, while the conversation was thrust into somberity, Celestia had decided to pull the thread instead of leaving it be.

“What precisely happened between you two?” Celestia asked. “It always troubles me greatly when I see siblings fight.”

Twilight used a sip of coffee to justify a pregnant pause in order to grant herself a moment’s thought.

What had happened between them? It all seemed trivial, but a culmination of so many trivial battles hardly failed to grow into something greater. Combined with Shining’s delicate emotional state following Cadance’s death and Twilight’s own shortcomings in helping him through…

Nothing in particular had happened between them to drive a wedge through their siblinghood, and yet so much had happened between them that it had been shattered without remorse.

“I... guess we just grew distant,” Twilight said. “He always seemed paranoid to me, going on about how I was putting myself in danger. I thought he was exaggerating, but after hearing about what they did to you…”

“Twilight, you must understand that your brother was only trying to protect those he loves. You must consider how much he has lost.”

“Well, he acts like he’s the only one! Cadance was important to me, too! And to you!”

Twilight had spoken in a frustrated half-yell, but as an echoing repeat of Celestia’s delirious pleas in the Catacombs bounced through her head she instantly regretted bringing Cadance up.

“I would like it if you made an effort to reconcile,” Celestia voiced it like an idle comment, but to Twilight it was clearly a firm command. “Trust me when I say you will one day regret not repairing your crumbling relationship while you still could. After what happened with Princess Luna and myself, I hope you take what I am saying very seriously.”

“I will,” Twilight assured.

“Much appreciated. I only wish for the best for the two of you,” Celestia said warmly. “In other news... perhaps we should start considering preparations for my hearing. I know now why they called for my radio interview so swiftly, and it isn’t a mistake I intend to repeat.”

Twilight nodded. It had been on her mind as well—they had been completely on the spot when they had faced off against Florina Harshwhinny, and the petulant young harpy had torn into them appropriately. They had been ill prepared—as though Celestia were counting on her charm alone—and while she had adequately refuted every objection Harshwhinny had launched at them, Twilight knew such a debate would not have ended well for them if Celestia had not cut it off short.

In a formal hearing, they would be slaughtered without proper preparation, and as such they would be fools if they did not do so accordingly.

Fortunately for them, Twilight had no shortage of ideas for sources of support that they could reap for their benefit. In between mouthfuls of porridge, she echoed them to Princess Celestia: the working class would undoubtedly have plenty to tell her, as would those displaced from their rural homes. They could gather testimonies from former members of Celestia’s guard as well as perhaps her maids and her—

“Raven,” Celestia breathed abruptly, interrupting Twilight. “Of course.”

The name seemed familiar, but Twilight could hardly remember from where. Thankfully, Celestia quickly elaborated.

“I told you about her. She was my assistant when I was on my throne, and my—admittedly quite timid—voice during my imprisonment. Last we spoke, she thought I was going to be put to death in a few hours after we parted ways. I would’ve been, had my escape not succeeded.”

“That means she can testify so.” Twilight nodded, jotting the name down into her notebook. “Awesome.”

“Indeed.” Celestia peered at Twilight’s notebook. “Although it would be nice if we could avoid the topic of my imprisonment altogether.”

“Wait, what?” Twilight blinked. “Why would we do that?”

Certainly, it made very little sense to her. Flim Flam Industry’s terrible treatment of her seemed like an ample source of exploitation. It proved that the smiling, happy-go-lucky twins on every cigarette box, electric appliance, or home radio were figureheads of a corporation that had carried out alarming levels of mental violence to an innocent mare.

“I do not want to seem like I am pleading for sympathy,” Celestia said.

Twilight had half a mind to raise an eyebrow and dig into the pathetic justification further—it made no sense, after all, and Celestia’s refusal to provide a proper one seemed rather strange. Indeed, it was the same fleeting millisecond of self-doubt that had flitted through Celestia’s face when Twilight had asked her if Flim Flam Industry had any justifications towards imprisoning her.

Then again, whatever darker justification Celestia had for not mentioning it, Twilight decided she trusted the princess enough to blindly agree that it was better left covered.

Flim Flam Industry would surely wish to leave it buried, and whatever reason Celestia had for denying compensation and shovelling blame, Twilight knew it was mutually beneficial for both of them not to dig it up.

So they wouldn't.

“The ‘working class’ intrigues me as well.” Celestia broke the silence with evident caution. “I would very much like to speak to them. We can call Florina and request permission to do so.”

“And if she says no?”

“Then it would look very poor on Flim Flam Industry. She will not. Besides, she seemed rather reasonable.”

Twilight was not convinced. “You’re putting a lot of faith on the kindness of ponies who betrayed you, Celestia.”

“I have found that treating ponies with compassion and respect makes them act more compassionate and respectable,” Celestia replied. “Perhaps I am a foolish optimist, but I would prefer to be a foolish optimist to a bitter pessimist. Heaven knows I’ve spent too long as the latter.”

With a shrug, Twilight made a mental note to find Florina’s number in the blue pages when she headed back inside.

“Well,” Celestia said, taking a final gulp of her porridge and with a flare of her magic teleported it back towards the makeshift kitchen Twilight had constructed in one of the library’s public bathrooms. “I’d better go make my mane somewhat presentable and get my regalia on. Would you like to accompany me to the industrial district today, Twilight?”

Twilight scratched an ear. The thought of supporting Celestia almost felt like a duty to her at that point, but the factories…

“I’m… not exactly on good terms with most of the management there,” Twilight confessed, her head sinking.

Celestia blinked. “You’re… not on good terms...”

“Yeah. I… may have broken in one night to take chemical samples. I got caught and the result was a sort of ‘we’ll let you off the hook with a fine but only if you don’t publish your findings’ deal.”

Celestia frowned.

“I published my findings anyways.”

Seemingly conflicted between both pride and disappointment, Celestia thankfully did not pursue the matter any further. Twilight was hardly ready to recount the harrowing night she’d spent in a New Canterlot jail amongst drunken vagrants. She’d learned the hard way that Flim Flam Industry were not ones to make idle threats, and it was hardly a lesson she needed a review on.

It certainly did not help matters when Shining Armor had arrived to bail her out. Nor when he had threatened to tell their parents just what kind of mare their estranged daughter was turning into. A ‘petty, bitter little anarchist,’ he’d called her, and truly Twilight did not quite see herself as much more.

Either way, Twilight knew better than to test Flim Flam Industry’s threats again.

“I’m really sorry, Celestia,” Twilight said. “But, like, court orders say I’m not allowed to go there.”

“That’s unfortunate,” Celestia said. “But unpreventable, I suppose. I wish you’d take a little more care of yourself than you do, but that’s in the past. I will be sad not to have you to help, but I also don’t want to put you into a compromising or uncomfortable position.”

Twilight could only nod and thank the stars Celestia trusted her enough not to dig into the unspoken details of her story.

“In the meantime,” Celestia said. “Could you perhaps get a hold of my former assistant, and arrange for a meeting? We don’t have long before this… this hearing, and I’d like to cover all of our bases while we can.”

“Of course,” Twilight said. “Raven, right?”

“Yes, that is her. And... Twilight?”

“Yeah?”

“I know you are suspicious of me,” Celestia said. “Specifically, about my actions during my imprisonment. I realize there are things I’m not telling you. It is my hopes that she will.”

“Am I… am I going to like what I hear?” Twilight gulped.

“No,” Celestia said. “You will not. But I trust you know me well enough that you will understand.”

iii

There were plenty of empty compartments on the train snaking its way into the industrial district outside of New Canterlot, but Celestia had already spent the walk to the station with her thoughts and was already tired of their presence. Speaking with one of her former subjects seemed like a welcome alternative to a long and silent train ride.

And, with the train inbound for the factories, Celestia figured that most ponies riding it would be those commuting to work—the same ponies she was travelling out to talk with anyways.

Indeed, she certainly looked out of place—a towering alicorn in polished regalia amongst grizzled and scruffy stallions and mares toting hardhats and metal lunchboxes. Celestia supposed that her crippled wing and missing eye lessened her projected regality at least a little bit, but nonetheless she was clearly a stranger in strange lands and every pony she passed turned to stare accordingly.

Arriving at a compartment empty save for one other pony, Celestia hesitated for a moment with her hoof hovering over the door’s latch.

One glance at the mare’s cutie mark, and Celestia knew that if there was any existence of good luck, she’d be squandering it to not speak to the mare within. She brought her hoof onto the latch properly, smiling a satisfied and grateful smile and thinking a thankful remark to whatever force was pulling fate’s strings.

Life worked in strange ways sometimes.

Celestia eased the door open.

The earth pony mare was sitting lengthwise along the chair to her left, with several bundles of bills arranged in two separate piles before her and an abacus in the middle of them. She was muttering to herself, lost in thought and calculation.

“That’s eighty for home…” she was saying under her breath. “Twenty for me… eighty for Apple Blo—”

The compartment door creaking on its hinges was enough to silence the mare, and she whipped around in confused surprise.

Her surprise certainly did not evaporate as she beheld the mare standing in the entrance.

“Good morning!” Celestia greeted, smiling. “You do not mind if I sit here, do you?”

Silence.

“I quite like your cutie mark,” Celestia said, pointing at the three red apples. “A proud member of the Apple Family, I presume?”

More stunned silence. The mare blinked, looked to her cutie mark as if for confirmation, and then took a nervous gulp.

“...Woah nelly…” she breathed. “Princess Celestia…

“You don’t need to call me ‘princess.’”

“Ah reckon I will, if it’s all the same with you.”

Celestia grinned as she sat in front of the mare, who straightened up herself, her attention on the piles of bills instantly dismissed.

“I earnestly appreciate it,” Celestia said. “Some feel I do not deserve that title. Now, forgive me if I am mistaken, but your name is Applejack, am I correct?”

She nodded, looking surprised. “That’s right, Your Highness. I wouldn’t of imagined you would’ve remembered the name of a mare like me.”

“Ridiculous.” Celestia waved a hoof. “The town of Ponyville owes its existence to your grandmother, and its continued survival to her livelihood. ‘Mares like you’ are the backbone of Equestria.”

Applejack muttered a humble thanks, but Celestia was no such fool as to miss the spiteful flare in the mare’s expression—detectable even with a subtle little glance in the direction of the train’s destination.

“Of course…” Celestia said. She had no motivation to be subtle or carry anything out longer than she had to. “...I would be a liar if I said that is the only reason I recognize you. After all, in my mind, Equestria’s fall began the moment your family lost your orchard to Flim and Flam.”

Applejack nodded, gritting her teeth a little at the mere mention of their names, like they produced a foul stench. “Them two-bit cons took my family for all we were worth.”

“I know,” Celestia said. “That was just before the Crystal War. They’d bought it to make bottled cider but ended up cutting down the trees to turn it into a munitions factory instead.” Celestia sunk her head. “On my orders.”

Celestia had been expecting some sharp remark—if there was one thing she’d come to learn from the Apple family, it was that they were prideful, especially to their land—but such a remark did not come.

“Apple Cider doesn’t win wars, after all,” she said. “Those brothers would’a done the same if you didn’t say a thing. ‘Cept they’d do it for their fancy profit opportunities.”

“I am very sorry you lost your farm, Miss Applejack. It was my failure to pay attention to your affairs that gave them grounding as an industry, and not as mere…”

“...Two bit cons,” Applejack finished for her as she trailed off.

“Indeed.”

“With respect, Princess… seems to me like ya would have had bigger fish to fry than dealin’ with an apple orchard.”

“Perhaps,” Celestia said. “But to me, that is a poor justification. A good ruler looks out for their country, a caring ruler looks out for their ponies. I try to be a caring ruler, but sometimes I fail, and ponies like yourself suffer the consequences.”

Applejack was silent, and in the conversation’s lull, Celestia glanced at the piles of bills more curiously. They were divided carefully, as though Applejack were frightened of cross-contamination, and judging by her abacus it seemed as though she was taking great care to be precise.

As much as she considered herself a thoughtful and intelligent mare—especially with the affairs of her ponies—Celestia was quite uncertain what exactly Applejack’s intentions were. She did, however, carry a prediction, but it was hardly one she was hoping was correct.

Still, there was no sense not asking.

“How long have you been working for Flim Flam Industry?” Celestia began.

Applejack grimaced, as though the question caused her physical pain. “Eight years.”

To Celestia, the two words had an accusing tone to them, as though it were in some way her fault. Which, Celestia supposed, it perhaps was.

The more she talked with this mare, the more she came to understand that as much as Applejack respected the lost princess, she by no means liked her.

That was alright, though.

“And this?” Celestia pointed at the piles of bills. “For home, I presume?”

Applejack glanced at the bills, back to Celestia, and nodded. She said nothing further, but Celestia did not need to hear anything else.

This mare’s grandmother had more than likely passed away in the past ten years—Twilight had already made it quite clear how endangered ponies living close to the factories were, and an older mare so accustomed to fresher air would be impacted all the more.

Still, Celestia knew there was another. A younger sister, likely in the middle of her teenage years now.

She’d met them both at the Crystal War memorial.

The more Celestia considered it, the more she realized how much this mare’s situation was an eerie echo of Shining Armor and Twilight Sparkle’s. The older sibling forcing themselves through hell in a fruitless bid to save the younger from danger. In Shining’s case, it was perpetual anger at Celestia and at himself and a job that forced him against both his desires and his former princess, and in this mare’s case it was literal dangerous labour in the factories.

Thankless jobs for both, but at least Applejack seemed to have a somewhat healthy relationship with her sister when compared to Twilight’s borderline hostility at the mere sound of Shining’s voice.

“I am to be put on trial in several days,” Celestia declared abruptly. “My rule is being weighed against the present one. I have praise for some elements of it and a large amount of criticism as well. I am not fond of ponies such as yourself being forced to work jobs that run contrary to their desires, lest they face poverty and starvation. I think all ponies should be both happy and well-fed, and certain groups of ponies should not have to sacrifice their own happiness for that of their ‘superiors,’ and not be remotely acknowledged or rewarded for their efforts while those who do little by comparison are. I suppose I am asking you whether or not I am justified in believing this.”

Applejack frowned. “Normally, I always say hard work is good work, but… if you’re asking whether I’m happy working for Flim Flam Industry, I reckon I’d have to say no. Beyond, the… y’know, personal reasons.

“Is it dangerous? Unpleasant?”

“Sure, but that ain’t ever much reason to complain,” Applejack said. “But getting paid a couple bits a day for sixteen hours of work ain’t exactly fair, in my mind.”

“Indeed.” Celestia agreed. “My friend calculated the average weekly pay rate as a little over fifteen bits a week. Hardly enough for food.”

“Your friend’s mathematics seem a tad steep,” Applejack motioned at the pile of bills. “This here is three months, and a little over a hun’red bits. And it might as well all be goin’ to my little sis.”

“That’s…” Celestia ran the number through her brain quickly. When it came after a pause of less than a second, she did not bother hiding her disgusted scowl. “That’s only a bit a day! That’s enough for a… a cup of coffee and a sandwich! How in the name of sanity are ponies satisfied with such wages?!”

Applejack snorted rudely—Celestia did not imagine she had much capacity to have reservations for how she acted to authority figures anymore. “Ah reckon it’s ‘cause shit wages are better than none.”

This time, Celestia didn’t so much as flinch. “Sink or swim, essentially?”

Applejack nodded. “I can’t account for anypony ‘sides myself, of course. After we lost the farm, I needed work. And I needed it fast. We moved to Old Canterlot ‘cause living was cheap there, and I started work in the factories.”

“I see,” Celestia said simply. “Life has dealt you a poor hand, Miss Applejack. I aim to correct all of this. You have my word.”

“Ah reckon you should look a little harder than at mares like me if you want to see a poor hand,” Applejack replied shortly.

Celestia cocked her head. “Oh?”

“’course, I bet they won’t be workin’ today,” Applejack said. “With you showin’ up and all, can’t imagine they’d be stupid enough not to let ‘em have a day off. But any other day you’d see little squirts short as a stump workin’ their little hooves to the bone.”

Another bristle of fury.

“Child labour…” Celestia growled. “In my country.”

“Not somethin’ Flim Flam Industry would be proud to boast in newsprint,” Applejack said.

Celestia’s mind had already begun churning wildly and she settled with a grim nod as an answer.

Child labour.

The very thought sickened her more than anything she had thusly seen. She’d willingly take a thousand electrodes to her skull and would be more than happy to admit that the experience was more pleasant than the thought of some young filly or colt working in conditions she wouldn’t have advised for any pony. The thought of a childhood lost to labour in filthy conditions for rubbish pay nearly made her consider simply storming her own castle and declaring herself their Queen or else, peace and her ponies' will be damned. No subtlety or compromise, simply a violent but quick re-seizure of her power.

It was foolish, unethical, and impossible in her current state of weakness, and Celestia hated herself for even considering it.

Flim Flam Industry had reasons behind their actions. Celestia knew they did. And justifications, surely—they’d have plenty of those, too, in the event that she drudged such a truth out for the complacent, public fools to see. They hadn’t forced these fillies and colts to work, after all! They had come on their own accord, excited to enter a world of opportunity! Young ponies without homes were sheltered, those without anything to eat were fed!

She’d seen it before. In the pre-war Crystal Empire, during the growing twilight preceding Sombra’s desire for bloody global conquest, the tiny nation had started to rapidly militarize. It had been a less-than-subtle sign of greater things to come.

But she had never allowed such a thing in her country—ponies worked for themselves and their family and did not give a damn about their wages so long as there was food at the table. In many cases, there were no wages—they performed a duty for their community that they enjoyed doing, and it was its own reward, and the debate began and ended there.

Even when she herself had been faced with quite the same task of rapid militarization when Sombra’s invasion ended its thousand-year-hiatus, she never would have forgiven herself if she’d brought her ponies so low as to force ponies to work, or else suffer starvation and homelessness.

To see such a thing happening not against the backdrop of war as justification, but instead against claims of peace, Celestia had trouble even fully articulating her own disgust.

“I will fix this,” Celestia said, if only to hear it for herself. “I will.

It was an earnestly expressed promise, but Applejack seemed fairly ambivalent towards it. “Alright.”

With a weary smile and most of her questions answered, Celestia rose and thanked the mare for her time. Then, not wishing to subject anypony to her undesired presence any longer, she left to find an empty compartment and brood in silence over what she had just heard.

iv

Twilight Sparkle was sitting in the same scummy café, idly spinning a circular orb of coffee in her telekinesis, when the bells at the entrance announced somepony’s entrance. She looked up, and a wide smile split across her face as she saw Celestia approaching her table with a polite grin of her own. The princess’s mane was slightly more dishevelled than it had been when she had left for the factories, but she looked quite happy all the same.

“Hello!” Celestia greeted, sitting. Twilight slid a cup of cooling coffee towards her, and she gratefully accepted it. “How are you doing?”

“Can’t complain,” Twilight said. “Actually, y’know what? I definitely can. I talked to Florina, like you asked.”

“Oh?”

“She’s a bitch. She told me what to expect in the hearing; said she’d fax me the proper documents.”

“What in heaven’s name is a fax?”

“Something I couldn’t possibly afford,” Twilight replied. “Thankfully, I remembered the gist of it and wrote it down, and we’ll be getting it through snail-mail in a few days regardless. I’m not sure how much you’re going to like their ‘hearing’, though.”

“It’s a trial organized by a corrupt corporation bent on providing justification to reimprison me, or worse. I wasn’t expecting a surprise party.”

“That’s true.” Twilight couldn’t help but grin, partly thanks to Celestia’s own contagious smile. “Basically, what’s happening is that they’re mounting a full-assault against you and you carry the burden of proving it’s hogwash.”

“That’s almost laughably corrupt,” Celestia said. “My goodness. I’m starting to wonder if Equestria is even worth saving if they are unable to see that.”

“You don’t need to tell me,” Twilight replied. “I’ve been living here, after all.”

Both mares laughed despite themselves and despite the cruel and somber nature of Celestia’s joking remark.

“What about you?” Twilight asked. “How’d it go at the industrial district?”

“Very well,” Celestia said, taking a hearty sip of the coffee. “I answered more questions than I asked, but that is all well by me. Oh, also!”

Celestia dug into her saddlebag and withdrew a fresh-looking polaroid.

“Instant camera,” she mused as she slid the photograph across the table to Twilight. “Interesting device. A journalist took this picture of me with promises of front-page billing.”

One glance at the photograph, and Twilight understood why such a picture would be deserving of a newspaper cover. Princess Celestia was standing proudly with a large group of rugged looking factory workers against a filthy backdrop of industrial machinery. Celestia was in the center of the photograph, a grimy hard-hat on her head and a small smile on her face.

“These ponies… liked me,” Celestia said it like it was an incredible feat. She took the picture back and stuffed it into her saddlebag. “I am still rather amazed by how I was received.”

“You publically called out the ponies who are using them like tools.” Twilight pointed out. “I can’t say I’m surprised. But I sure am thankful.”

“You and me both,” Celestia grinned. “They were all so keen to know what I had planned.”

“What did you tell them?”

“Oh, plenty,” Celestia said. “I spoke about wages and working conditions, and how both are evidently subpar in relation to their own personal interests and living requirements. I also said that accidents should not occur as frequently as they presently do—especially ones that claim lives.”

“Good,” Twilight growled. “Accidents happen, I guess, but I don’t get the impression Flim Flam care much about trying to prevent them if it's not worth their while. Hell, most times they blame them on employee negligence anyways.”

“Indeed,” Celestia said. “I said that in my rally, actually. I have ponies on my side, Twilight. I feel considerably less pathetic, and all it took was a half-hour train ride.”

Twilight giggled. “That’s good to hear.”

“It is,” Celestia agreed, scratching at her mane with a coy smile. “Not to imply I feel pathetic with you, of course. Quite the opposite.”

Twilight’s face redenned in a blush and she took a sip of coffee to disguise it.

“Did you manage to get a hold of…” Celestia began, but she broke off as a bell above the door signalled somepony’s entrance. Both mares turned and watched as an aging snow-white unicorn with a well-kept brown mane and tail entered. She was wearing massive eyeglasses and looked positively out of her element in the Old Canterlot slums, with her eyes locked on the ground as she navigated towards an empty booth.

“Speak of the devil,” Celestia breathed. And then, to the confused looking mare; “Raven!”

Raven perked up at the familiar voice, turning swiftly in Twilight and Celestia’s direction. A wide smile split across her face and she trotted over to them.

For an older mare, Twilight was surprised by how swiftly she moved.

“Princess Celestia!” she exclaimed. Celestia accepted her with an outstretched wing and did not hesitate to give her old friend a quick and delicate hug.

Raven detached, and as her euphoria died down she instead gave Celestia a cold glare.

“You’re the worst,” she chided. “Seriously.”

Celestia chuckled. “I know, I know. I should have said something to you, but I couldn't risk it with the cameras everywhere.”

“I thought you were going to be killed! I saw the firing line and everything! You scheming bitch.”

Twilight blinked in shock, but Celestia let out an uncharacteristically loud laugh, one which Raven promptly broke her stoic frown to echo.

“Seriously though,” Raven said when her laughter tapered off. “When I heard you on the radio… I think my heart stopped for your whole speech. I couldn’t believe it. I’m… I’m so happy you’re alright.”

“Me too,” Celestia replied. “Why don’t you sit, Raven? This is my friend Twilight Sparkle. She’s the one who called you here.”

“‘I’ve heard about you,” she offered a hoof, which Twilight sheepishly shook. “And I heard you on the radio, too. Guess I wasn’t expecting ‘interview’ to translate to ‘reunion’. What paper do you write for, Twilight?”

Twilight scratched an ear shyly. “I’m freelance,” she said, wishing desperately to be anywhere else. She’d grown quite comfortable around Celestia, but now seeing this mare so casually interacting with the former princess, Twilight fully realized how unskilled she was at any level of friendship.

“Oh, okay. My name is Raven. Celestia’s former assistant, and long-time friend. Pleased to meet you.”

For a good while, Celestia and Raven simply chatted. Despite only several weeks having passed, they had hours of stories to share. Raven spoke ponies’ names and Celestia giggled at them merely upon mention, while Twilight had no idea what faces they could possibly correlate to.

Feeling completely isolated as the two friends talked about matters she couldn’t possibly join in on, Twilight instead passed her time stacking sugar cubes. With her attention completely diverted, when Celestia excused herself, Twilight had no idea why.

Although, one glance at Raven’s quickly dissipating mirth, and Twilight knew that whatever reason Celestia had given, it was an excuse to simply get the two of them to talk.

“So, you’re Celestia’s friend?” Raven asked, glancing at Celestia’s tail as she left in the direction of the bathroom.

“Uh… that’s what she calls me,” Twilight blushed.

“Then that’s what you are,” Raven said. “You want me to give you a testimony for her hearing? Specifically regarding her imprisonment, correct?”

“I figured you’d be a reliable source,” Twilight said. “Shouldn’t we… uh, wait until Celestia gets back before discussing—”

“No.” Raven narrowed her eyes. “How much did Celestia tell you about her imprisonment?”

“Enough to convince me that Flim Flam Industry hardly have any justification against her,” Twilight said.

“Then she hasn’t told you enough at all.” Raven let out a long sigh. “Celestia is the most caring and compassionate pony I’ve ever seen, and she is the warmest pony to call a friend, but… her life during her imprisonment is full of… uh, controversy.”

Twilight felt a ripple of fear creep through her. “What do you mean?”

“Did Celestia tell you about her escape attempts?”

“Uh… vaguely. Just that they happened, and they failed.”

“Alright, well…” Raven brought a hoof to her snout and breathed heavily. “Look, let me just preface this by saying that I don’t blame Celestia for anything and I think she was perfectly justified. That being said…”

She trailed off, looked in the direction of the bathroom Celestia had disappeared towards, and then looked into Twilight’s eyes with alarming intensity.

“During her last escape attempt, she ‘failed’ on her own terms. She stopped fleeing because she seriously injured a guard during her escape. When we… when they caught her, she was trying to repair his wounds. They say it was one of the nastiest wounds they’d ever seen. They swore he lost more blood than he’d had in his damn body.

“Celestia herself was a mess, too. They said she kept calling him ‘Luna’ and begging him to get up.”

For a moment, Twilight felt dizzy, as though she was about to pass out. In a desperate bid not to, she quickly grabbed her coffee and took a violently exaggerated drink to try and calm her nerves.

“Did… did he die?” she croaked.

“No,” Raven said. “Thank heavens. For a while though, they told Celestia that he did. A nice bit of demoralization to keep her spirits low. She didn’t have much motivation for escape attempts after that.”

With nothing else to respond with, Twilight nodded grimly.

“I love Celestia,” Raven said. “She is one of my best friends. But during her imprisonment… she was terrifying. On several occasions, she tried to use ponies as… as hostages, in order to escape. On other occasions, she turned violent—I’ve never seen a pony just burn through a magic inhibitor like she did. She was cold, threatening, arrogant, and on rare occurrences, dangerous. And sadly, in her radio broadcasts I see that not a whole lot has really changed. She’s just gotten better at hiding it.”

Raven reached a hoof across the table and placed it onto Twilight’s. It was an awkward gesture in practice, but Twilight understood the comforting motif.

“I’m very happy that she can still find friendship in a pony like you, and I think you deserve it… but don’t get the idea that she’s some sort of saint. If she wouldn’t have hallucinated him as her sister, she would’ve let that stallion die if it meant escaping.”

For a moment, Twilight couldn’t think of what to say.

"When your best defense to third-degree murder is insanity," Raven said. "I'd consider not saying anything at all."

Twilight replied by muttering an incoherent ‘thank you’ to Raven, slapping a few bits onto the table, and then hastily slipping into her winter cloak as she fled from the diner entirely.

Author's Note: