• Published 3rd Dec 2015
  • 1,057 Views, 11 Comments

A New World, A New Map - Northern Desert



When that pirate crew know as the Volatile Hydreigon become one of the many inhabitants of Earth to get transported by Arceus. Finding themselves on a strange island, these outlaws of the sea are driven to discover this new world!

  • ...
4
 11
 1,057

Chapter 2 - I got a bone to pick with you!

Lightning cracked and rain fell upon the ship, droning out the screams of terror that seemed to fill the narrow straits. A young man darted across the sleek wood and steel that was the deck of the ship as he stumbled past the soaking wet crewmembers. Avoiding the obstacles that those who had passed into another had given us, the boy made his way to the captain’s quarters.


Reaching the cabin door, a wet ball of dark fur collided with his back, forcing the youth to stumble in shock. His head darted to see only his mischievous companion, while a shivering mess, seem unharmed. Her ears up and alert as another one of the many vessels in the unforgiving waters was brought down to the bottom by an unforeseen force.


“Zor---rua,” the fox-like pokemon whined in both fear and surprise as both friends saw many of their comrades sink to the bottom of the sea. The man choose--no, he had to ignore the thoughts of sadness and terror that ran through his head.


The captain needed to hear the new information that he had obtained if anyone else were to survive. Finally pushing past the men of the ship, his fist smashed the captain’s cabin door, waiting for someone to answer.


A old and ragged looking man answered the door. The captain and others could be seen debating their next move. They had no idea what they faced, for no battle plan could save them.


“Hadrain!?” The old buccaneer exclaimed, the firstmate being confused by young man’s arrival. “We thought Jorvak’s crew were gonners! How did you make it out!?”


“Luck I assume,” Hadrain said through chattering teeth, the rain thoroughly soaking him to the bone. “I have vital information on the cause of our distress. Let me see Captain Xavier!”


“Of course lad,” The older man said, quick to bring him inside. “We need all the help we need...never have I seen such a storm do this!”


The Captain and his trusted mates looked up, slightly startled at Hadrain’s interruption. He let out an audible sigh that it was just one of his men and not the deathly waves that this storm brought. But he was curious on how one of Jorvak’s men had managed to survive the powerful waves that dragged the ship down to its end.


“Captain,” Hadrain said, breaking the silence that had momentarily taken the room. “We have a problem--”


“You don’t say!?” One of the captains most valued subordinates, Lucian, growled. Before the man could give Hadrain a piece of his mind, the captain stopped him.


“We are aware that there is a problem,” Xavier said quickly, not in the mood for any squabbling. “But you didn’t come here to point out the obvious...so what are we really facing?”


“Right now, I count three Pokemon that are causing us distress,” Hadrain answered, receiving the full attention of those in the room.


“Pokemon!?” Xavier muttered, confused by this revelation. The pokemon of these waters were known to be friendly towards seafarers. So, what had changed their approach on humans?


“Captain…” Hadrain said, snapping his leader back to reality. “The main issue is the--” Whatever he was about to say was silenced when the ship made a sickening crunch. The cabin exploded into splinters and those in the room flew in every direction, a giant tail lay where the midsection of the cabin existed.


Hadrain scrambled to cling onto the slippery railing of the ship as he hung over the edge, his Zorua tucked under his arm. But as the ship slowly began to tilt over, Hadrain lost his grip. Darkness filled his vision as he plunged into the cold water…



Intro:



“Damit!” Hadrain screamed as he awoke from the nightmare, or at least he wished it was one. He frantically looked around his surroundings, seeing only trees, rock, dirt and grass instead of the cold bottom of the sea. Taking deep breaths and muttering words of comfort to himself, he slowly calmed down.


“Where--where am I?” He said to no one in particular, getting a good view of the site he was it. He could feel a cool breeze hit his back and smelled the familiar salty waters that accompanied his life.


His memory went back to the events that had transpired with the tourist and those Tyrantrum pokemon, his chest tightened in fear on what might have happened to his crew. Shooting up, he somewhat stumbled as if he was unfamiliar with his legs, “Probably because of me being out for so long…” The pirate thought.


Looking around at the breathtaking scenery around him, he realized that this wasn’t the same island as before.


“These trees are completely different than anything I have ever seen...which begs the question on where I am?” While Hadrain came to multiple conclusions, he chose to forget about that problem for now. He need to find his crew and shelter. Stretching his arms and hearing an audible pop from his back. He looked down to see his trusty hat, something he treasured greatly.


“Well, it’s good to see you’re still here!” The captain laughed to himself, reaching down to pick his hat, he was caught off guard when seeing his fingers. Or in his case, claws.

Three green claws gripped his hat. Hadrain looked around the source before realizing they were his. He gave a small chuckle at the sight, coming to the realization on why he was somewhere different.


“Alright guys,” The pirate called out to his crew. “This is a very funny prank, but I think that we should get back to the ship, eh?” He waited for his friends to come out of the trees or bushes, ready to point out the ‘hilarious’ look on his face when he realized he had be turned into a Pokemon.


He looked over to see his bushy (Literally bushy) tail swaying in the wind. He slightly frowned when his team had chosen to not appear, which meant that this was most likely not their doing…


He gave a good slap to his face, a loud clap filled the jungle. “Ah!” Hadrain yelped in surprise, not use to his new strength. “That hurt...which means this isn’t a dream.”


The swashbuckler started to lose his cool, his breathing quickening. He grabbed his hat and frantically ran over to what seemed to be a pond, looking down to get a good look at himself. He saw a green reptilian bipedal with a somewhat long neck and two crest on its--his head. Hadrain’s tail was like a palm trees, and two leaf like blades protruded from his arms. Two semi circled yellow eyes glowed at the reflection.



“I---I’m a Sceptile!?” Hadrain screamed, shocked by this sudden transformation. He got up and shook his head, walking over and slumping next to a tree. “Where am I? Where are the rest of the crew!?” The captain cried in frustration. He was ready to rant some more, but realized this would get him nowhere.


He may be in a strange body on a new island, but he knew the rest of the Volatile Hydreigon were here! It was his duty in life to secure their safety, to provided them with comfort. And dammit, he would do just that!


Getting up, the new pokemon took up his fedora and placed it on his head. He entered deeper into the jungle, marking trees along the way with his claws so that he could retrace his steps. While he was somewhat clumsy with his steps, slowly he became more balanced. He also managed to operate his leaf blade, cutting through any branches that were in his way.


What he saw next reminded him that there was so much more to be surprised about on this island.


“Sweet Arceus…” He muttered at the sight. Before him lay two or three ships in a natural harbor, the wreckage was strew across the land and filled most of the area. What confused him even more was the style of one of the ships, it seemed to be designed more for air travel then taking to the waters.


Walking over, he entered one of the ships. The inside of the boat remained somewhat intact. “This could be a great base of operations...it would need some work done to spruce it up of course.”


As he continued his travel inside these ruined seacrafts, his eyes lay upon the remains of some of the crew who operated it. What seemed to be the remains of Ponytas lay all over the captain’s quarters. There were also items laying about, and while Hadrain felt bad that he was taking some of these objects, mainly canteens and musical instruments, he knew they were no longer any use to their owners.


“Sorry mates,” The Sceptile sighed, taking one of the canteens from a Ponyta. Well, at least that is what he originally thought. He could tell by their skeletal structure, and the fact that they were in a wooden ship with no burn marks to be seen, that these were not the flaming equines he was familiar with.


His eyes drifted over to the skeleton of what seemed to be a pony ship captain with a horn coming from his skull, a golden scabbard laying on his desk. He was well dressed, with a blue overcoat and fancy red hat. Behind him was a portrait of another one of his kind. Her coat was white as snow and a horn protruded from her head. She had a long flowing mane that contained many colors and wings slightly raised. Her regal expression also contained a warm smile and light filled eyes.


Hadrain walked over and looked at the portrait. He blew on the painting, sending the dust into the air. He looked upon the equine’s head to see a golden crown with a purple gem in the middle. Reading one of the plates, he was able to read the title or the name of the piece:


"Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria and admiral of her navy," The Sceptile said, managing to read out what he could. He never heard of someone of royalty named Princess Celestia, or a pony princess for that matter. Turning around, Hadrain walked back over towards the desk to see a some dusty books.


Buzzap

"What the heck!" The pokemon shouted, jumping up when some purple electricity went off near that sword and zapped him. Shaking his head in annoyance, the Sceptile grabbed the book and walked back over the portrait. The journal consisted of some entries about the voyage, precious cargo for her majesty, yada yada yada. “So...I’m basically robbing royalty by taking these things?” The pirate pondered, remembering the liberating of items he had just performed, things might get complicated a some point.


“Hehe, I’ve been on this island for less than a minute,” The Sceptile chuckled, tilting his head in amusement when looking at the painting. “And I’ve found the remains of some strange and advanced equines. That and I managed to steal something from what seems to be a royal ship.”


At this point, the pokemon pirate clutched his sides as he burst into laughter. After what seem to be a couple of minutes, Hadrain wiped the tears out of his eyes and straightened up.


“Yazer is gonna kill me,” He giggled at the thought of the angry Charizard. She was always worrying for him since they first met during one of his less...promising situations. “Heh, maybe she’ll cut me some slack when--” Whatever he said was interrupted by the sound of creaking.

Shingggggggggggggg

Hadrain spun around and intercepted a golden blade as it made its way for his back. When he heard the sound of the sword being drawn, he expected it to be a grave robber hoping to off the pirate. What he didn’t assume was that it would be the very crew of the ship.


His attacker was none other than the deceased captain. The skeleton trembled and quickly withdrew the blade from Hadrain’s arms, the blade itself floating in some strange aura. While the bewildered pokemon was still in shock by the sudden attack, other skeletal guardians rushed to the aid of their former captain, each one sporting their own horns or bony wings.


“Oh, you have got to be kidding me!?” Hadrain yelled as he parried another sword, his foot shooting forward and kicking one of the skeletal attackers into a pile of bones.


While the Sceptile managed to hold his own, he couldn’t last long under the constant attacks. Even in his original body he had never been skilled in hand to hand combat, let alone sword combat. And with the pirate distracted with the skeletal crew, he didn’t notice the boney captain drawing the golden blade that would impale the pokemon.

Crash!

The struggle had been interrupted when the ceiling was blown away and a black creature came smashing down upon the undead captain. Fire spewed from its mouth, turning the remaining undead sailors into ashes. Hadrain watched in awe as the draconic creature dispatch the skeletons with ease.


However, the Sceptile went into a mad dash towards his saviour when a flash of light appeared above the dragon. The skeletal captain that was seemingly crushed had somehow managed to teleport above the creature, sword posed to decapitate the confused dragon.


“Not so fast you useless pile of bones!” A colorful bird cried, its beak ripping through the undead being. The undead guardians now dealt with, the three pokemon got a good look at each other.


“Singsong? Yazer?” Hadrain asked at the gaping Pokemon before him.



“I’m telling you Yazer,” Singsong groaned as he and the impatient Charizard flew above what seemed to be the remains of a ship or two. “We have no idea what’s down there! Robbers, traps, other Pirates--”


“Or the rest of our crew,” The shiny Charizard growled, getting ready to dive down into the unknown area. “They could be hurt down there!”


The Chatot let out a sigh of annoyance. The dragoness had been known for her...lack of tactical planning, but going head first into Arceus knows what was not the best plan of approach.


“I know I know,” Singsong said calmly, trying to cool the Charizard’s nerves. “But if we get hurt, then we won’t be much use in helping Hadrain--”


Their conversation was interrupted when the sound of metal clashing and the yells of distress that came from one of the wrecked ships. Yazer looked ready to fly straight towards the obvious danger, but Singsong quickly chose to gain her attention.


“Yazer, we need to think of a--” Singsong tried to finish his sentence, but a large gust of wind exploded next to him where Yazer use to be. When the Chatot finished tumbling, he shook his head and realized what had happened. “--plan…”


Looking up at the sky, the bird gave a quick prayer to any divine being that was listening. He then flew after his companion, swallowing nervously as he saw the large hole the dragon had made.


Just as he saw his companion with a strange Sceptile, one wearing his captain’s hat no less, rushing towards his friend in distress, he saw the subject of worry. It seemed that the temperamental Charizard had ignored one of the foes they were fighting, one standing over her with an overpriced sword.


“Not so fast you useless pile of bones!” Singsong snarled, smashing through the skeletal figure. After the surprisingly powerful attack the small bird managed to pull, Yazer looked over towards the Sceptile. Both of them were understandably confused by the pokemon wearing their captains hat, but soon came to the suspicion that he had looted it off their friend.


“Singsong? Yazer?” The Sceptile said in a familiar voice, causing the two pokemon to be even more confused. Singsong and Yazer waited awhile, trying to comprehend the fact that their captain was a pokemon.


“Had--Hadrain!?” Singsong stuttered, still not sure whether to believe what was happening.


“In the flesh,” The Sceptile responded cheekily, giving the two a smirk. Looking up towards the hole in the ship, he saw that night was soon approaching. “Why don’t we get a fire going before it gets dark, then we can figure this whole mess out.”


“Why am I not surprised,” Yazer deadpanned, giving the reptilian pirate a frustrated look. “We gotta save your green ass not ten minutes into both of us--” she waved her arm to Singsong and then back to herself, “coming to, you sure know how to get yourself into the worst of situations.”


“Oh come on!” Hadrain said, kicking the broken bits of the skeletal equine and taking his golden weapon. “I was minding my own business---”


“Bullshit!” The Charizard interrupted, leaning towards her friend with fire spewing out of her mouth.


“I was,” The Sceptile whined, holding his hand to his heart. “I swear it!” Before the dragon could give the reckless man a piece of her mind, Singsong let out a loud cough. The two somewhat embarrassed pokemon turned to the Chatot.

“While I can hardly believe that Captain Hadrain didn’t go about touching everything in sight--” The bird sighed, slightly annoyed by their captain’s...enthusiastic idea of carefully investigating an area.


“Hey!” The Sceptile said, clearly unhappy at the scolding that his subordinates were giving him. “I’ll have you know--”


“But he’s right,” Singsong stated, causing Yazer to almost choke in surprise. “We need to get a fire going before dark.”


“The dead seem to rise if some kind of trap is set off,” Hadrain said, his tone taking a more serious tone. “Who knows what else this island holds...we need shelter.” Yazer was quick to interject, clearly seeing one flaw in the captain’s plan.


“While I completely agree that we need to find shelter and get a fire going,” Yazer said, causing a small smile of triumph to appear on the Sceptile’s face. “We need to find the others. Who knows what horrible thing they’re going through!?”


However, Hadrain shook his head in disagreement. While he too was worried for the remaining crew, he knew that frantically searching for them in the dark would not only put them in danger, but their friends who could be hiding.


“We risk putting ourselves and them in danger with whatever is crawling around on this island,” Hadrain interjected, getting a nod of agreement from Singsong. Yazer seemed somewhat nervous, but knew that they were probably right.


“Alright,” She sighed, thinking back to what they had seen when flying over the island. “Get on my back, Hadrain, and I’ll take us to something the seemed to be a cave.” With that said, the captain and the Chatot mounted the Charizard and were lifted off towards the sky.



By the time the three pirates had found a suitable cave to rest in, it had become dark and cold. Both Hadrain and Singsong shivered when their fiery companion momentarily left the cave, her being the only source of warmth the two had in the cave. But Yazer returned quickly with a happy smile on her face, carrying a couple of nicely cut logs.


She soon light them with her flames and the three crewmembers silently stared into their fire, contemplating what had transpired. Finally, the captain chose to speak up.


“I won’t lie,” the Sceptile sighed, shooting a sad look towards his friends. “While I had at first assumed we were just stranded on an island, I’ve come to the conclusion that we are far from that.”


“What do you mean, Captain sir?” The Chatot questioned, somewhat confused by his words. Yes, their leader had become a Sceptile, a pokemon, and they seem to be on a completely other island than where they were originally. But how could this be more than what it already seems?


“Different species for one,” Yazer said, reminding her friend of the strange undead beings they ran into. “They weren’t the remains of any pokemon I’ve seen, and they used swords to fight.”


“And the stars,” Hadrain added, gaining a look of concern from the Charizard. “Different patterns...they aren’t our world’s constellations.”


“Wait...are you saying that what I think you saying!?” Singsong exclaimed, the mere thought of what his friend was suggesting seemed crazy.


But he had been turned into a pokemon…


“Mates, we’re not on Earth anymore…” The Captain of the Hydreigon Pirates said, his tail swaying from side to side in excitement. They were on a new world. A new world with mystical feats, such as raising the dead, and new species. A world of new treasure and mysteries.


“Not that it matters,” Yazer said with the same enthusiasm as Hadrain, the Chatot raising an eyebrow at their take on the situation. “After all…” She said, a grin plastered on her face. Both of her crewmates knew what she was implying.


The three thook in a deep breath, ready to perform the crew’s motivational tactic. It usually cheered them up.

????“The map is never wrong

Now matter where we’ve gone

Our time is now

Is now

and there’s no way anything can keep us down!

Our hearrrrrrts soar

because a pirate’s life is never a bore

They’ve tried to gain ground

But those hopes will be shot down

Shot down

Because a pirate’s life

a pirate’s life

Is more than just the sword

More than just a sword

It’s to explorrrrrrrrrer!!!!!”????

The three crewmembers laughed warmly at the awful performance they just gave. The song probably caused the greatest musicians of the past to turn in their graves, but it was the crew’s song.


“We--” Hadrain gasped in between his laughter, clutching his sides in pain. “We need to work on that song!”


“Ne--ver!” Yazer bellowed, collapsing to the ground. They really were awful.


“Are you suggesting that we rebrand the amazing image you created for this crew?” Singsong chuckled, his mind drifting to the moment that they came up with the dreadful piece. It had involved many drinks and an inspired tavern.


“Of course not,” Hadrain snickered. He seemed to be taking the whole situation better than one would expect, being turned into a pokemon and all. “But...we do need to come up with a plan for when we reunite with the rest of the crew.”


“Okay,” Yazer smiled, taking her claw and drawing in the dirt in front of her. The other two members of Hydreigon scooted next to the fire pokemon, looking down at the layout of what they’ve seen of the island so far. “Let’s brainstorm boys, because we’ve got one long day tomorrow!”




“Well, this might be a problem...” One of the equines said to his partner. His fur was navy blue and his mane was brown with black stripes, two bird-like wings rested along his sides. The four legged creatures had been tracking some strange creatures all day, trying to put together what they could learn about them.


“Really, Card Swap?” A mare asked sarcastically, her bat-like wings fluttered in agitation at their predicament. “These strange creatures, one looking like a dragon of some kind, pop out of nowhere and it ‘might be a problem’? For all we know they’re with that crazy pigeon!” Card Swap raised an eyebrow at the annoyed thestral. Her midnight blue mane limped to one side of her furry marooned face, her two ears up and alert.


“I wouldn’t go as far as to say that they’re in league with Alexander,” The stallion huffed, still keeping his eye on the three strange creatures by the fire that they made. “I mean, they can’t even speak any native language I’ve heard of.” The thestral got up and dramatically pointed her hoof towards the path that those under their surveillance took.


“They came from that graveyard,” She hissed, giving a look of anger towards one of them in particular. A green bipedal lizard of some kind, with a familiar scabbard strapped to its back. “They even have that damn sword--” Her voice almost turned into a shout, but her friend managed to stop her from alerting the creatures.


“--Which is why we’ll follow them and see where they go,” Card Swap reassured, his hoof in the bat pony’s muzzle to stop her talking. She glared at him and smacked his hoof away. The frustrated pony turned and stormed off, the pegasus went after the discontent mare.


“Crimson Star, don’t do anything stupid!” The winged pony hissed as quietly as he could, while also trying to keep up with Crimson Star.


"We need to get our gear,” She replied, quickening her pace as they left the creatures’ campsite.


“Why?” He questioned, looking over his shoulder to see if the strange creatures had followed them. To his relief, it seemed that they managed to sneak away without being caught.


“Because,” Crimson Star huffed, suddenly stopping and brushing away leaves a sticks to uncover a dark brown bag. “If what you assume I'd true, than these new guys have no idea what to expect on this island.” Card Swap paled at the notion, the idea of those three stumbling around stirring who knows what could cause problems back at base.


“So, do we confront them?” The Pegasus asked hesitantly, unsure on his partners exact moments. Fortunately, it seem she had managed to cool down and keep a level head.



“No,” The bat pony answered, shaking her head to the idea of confronting the strangers. “We follow them, see what loyalties they may or may not have, and keep them from waking every single monster that lives here!” With that said, she pulled on her gear from the bag.


She donned a dark steel helmet, covering her entire head to the bottom of her neck. It's visor concealed her face and its long pointed nose allowed space for a pony’s muzzle. She also pulled out a chainmail saddle, its steel links gleamed in the dark. With her also lay a dagger, a crossbow, and a giant warhammer.


“You look like for going to Tartarus to kill some kind of hellbeast,” Card Swap commented, digging up his own supplies. “Let’s just hope they’re not a bunch of idiots.” The thestral snorted at that comment, cocking the crossbow.


“Yeah.” She sighed, getting up and flapping her leathery wings. Taking off up into the trees, her partner taking off after her. Things may have just gotten more complicated for those who managed to get by on this cursed island. And the chances of disaster taking place with these newcomers was probably likely.


All it took was one shot to start a war...a war would lead to the end of whatever peace remained on this island.

Author's Note:

Hello Everyone!

I want to real quickly explain why I chose Hadrain to be a Sceptile. I wanted to make a character that would be able to work around traps and puzzles, but also be able to defend himself. That being said, I plan on laying out the island, so next chapter will focus on the other members of the crew and those tourist from the first chapter!

I also did a quick mention of Celestia, since one of the ships belonged to her navy. I'll go more in depth with this later, so stay tuned!

Again, criticism is appreciated. Feel free to let me know what you think and what I can improve on!

North Out!