• Published 1st Dec 2015
  • 5,538 Views, 294 Comments

Spa and Order - Skywriter



Princess Cadance's first diplomatic post to the City-State of Cloudsdale gets off to a rocky start.

  • ...
4
 294
 5,538

3. Tepidarium

"Never again," I say, my teeth chattering. "I realize and acknowledge that was probably good for me, but I am never doing that, ever again."

"Um," says Posey. "All right."

There is an uncomfortable pause.

"I'm meant to do it again. Aren't I."

"Well," says Posey, earnestly, "it's just wonderful for the health of your pores if you go from the caldarium back to the frigidarium when you're done there." Her face falls. "But, the customer is always right."

I am at war for a moment. Then I shrug, helplessly. "Who am I to argue with the wisdom of the ancient pegasi?"

"Oh, no. Don't feel bad if you don't feel like it. It's not 'wisdom' so much as it is, um, the proper order of things."

This much I understood from my years in Canterlot. Even at the very heart of unicorn society, pegasi were a common sight (especially in the ranks of the Royal Guard) and I knew full well how much stock they put in order. Just as unicorns value erudition and culture, just as earth ponies treasure family and tradition, pegasi love rank and procedure.

"Structure is a big deal here in Cloudsdale," I say.

"Oh, yes," she replies. "Very." She pauses in toweling me off. "At least... it used to be."

"Whatever do you mean?"

There are words on the tip of her tongue, and she almost speaks them, but then they're banished with a quick little shakeout. "Let's just get you set up in the tepidarium. How about that?"

"Anything to get me away from that pool," I say. "'Tepidarium' says to me that nothing shocking happens there."

"Not at all. Just a nice warm room and a nice warm massage."

"Lead the way," I say, trying to control the zeal in my voice lest the little pony believe she's at risk of being eaten. Posey nudges me to a second room in her little bathhouse, this one decorated earth tones. It is beautifully warm in here after the icy frigidarium, and I feel the tension in my muscles beginning, ever so gently, to let go.

"Right there," says Posey, nudging me with her muzzle to a snout-down massage chair, delicate cherry wood padded with thick, eggshell-colored cotton batting. I as much as leap upon it; it creaks slightly beneath my considerable alicorn weight. I am not a little pony.

Posey gives a tiny little giggle, almost inaudible. "Ready to go, then?"

"Am I!" I say, as Posey drops a record onto the platter of a nearby gramophone, gives the crank a few delicate turns with her teeth, and then crosses to a small alcove nearby and begins fussing with something. As she works, I continue chatting. "My dear Posey, this whole night has been a living nightmare, and I know I'm just knotted up beyond belief from it all. Naturally I leave it to you to make the final determination, because you're the professional, but—"

I stop, thunderstruck. Something, a sharp, clean, mineral tanginess, is tickling at my nostrils. It becomes, in an instant, the most important thing in the entire world. I lift my head from the cushion and crane my neck to try and locate the source of the... smell, I guess. It's hard to describe it as such, but it's as close as I can get.

"What... what is that?"

Posey makes a little "eep" noise. "I'm sorry. I'll stop. It's okay, it's not important, we don't have to—"

"No, it's good! Great, even. Please, I'm just curious."

"Oh." Posey hastily steps aside and reveals a block of sunset-orange stone which glows serenely from within, its light dancing and flickering in the air currents of the room. "It's a salt lamp. They have such a wonderful color. Plus, when the candle inside warms the block, it charges the air with a tiny amount of electricity, and that's excellent for a pony's mood." Her sunny smile lasts only for a moment before it is doused by uncertainty and self-doubt. "At least, um, that's what I've read. It's really just something to set Posey's apart from all the other bathhouses a pony might visit. A little touch of the earth." She clicks her hoof against the heavy mineral block. "I like to import fresh flowers and herbs for my baths and poultices for the same reason. It's a little pricey paying the airlifting fees, but I think it's worth—"

She stops.

"Your Highness," she says, her voice barely peeping above a whisper, "are you... are you crying?"

The answer is yes, but I do not respond. I do not even understand what is going on.

"I'm so sorry," says Posey, mortified. She fumbles with her mouth for a snuffer.

"No!" I say, more sharply than I intended, which has the effect of rattling Posey even more. I tone down my voice. "No," I say, softly, mastering myself. "I... I don't know what's the matter, but it's very important to me that you leave that candle burning. If you please, Posey."

She takes a few calming breaths and, in a bit, looks less like she's going to bolt from the bathhouse entirely. "Okay," she squeaks. "Oh, this is why nopony comes here, isn't it? Even when I'm trying to do everything right something goes wrong."

"It's fine," I say, sniffling and regaining my center. "Sorry for making a scene in the first place."

"No, it's not fine! It's awful!" Posey says, practically sobbing.

It's more of a reaction than she should be having. It's more a reaction than anypony should... unless there's more to her story that I haven't heard. It is with this that, at last, I receive my cue. The night so far has been all about me. My hunger, my confusion, my humiliation. It is simply not in the nature of a Princess of Equestria to focus so much on her own needs, what with the pain and hurt of other little ponies staring her right in the face.

I relax, slow my breathing, and enter another place in my mind; and in a flash, Posey's love lights up the room.

Watching love is an enthralling experience. I struggle to find terms for it that make sense in the pony tongue. It's like, the words for it are all there, but in my heightened state they mean something completely different. It is the difference between you or I smelling the fur of a pet rabbit and a rescue Bloodhound tracking that same rabbit cross-country. We're experiencing the same sensation, but our fictional Bloodhound can process, analyze and transform that same information in ways we ponies can only dream of. Not to toot my own horn, but that's the way it is with me and love.

Posey's love is, for lack of any better words, sun-grass-orange-coal. It is bright, shimmery and wavy, solid but yearning, and it overwhelmingly dwells upon the bright dandelion-icicle-tea-puzzle of her daughter, now visible to me clear as day out in the apodyterium, walls be darned. The curls and twists of Posey's love float with electrical agitation around her body. It looks a bit like me on a particularly bad hair day. The force of her anxiety throws tangles and snarls into it, and while she bravely restrains the snarls from passing into the conduit she shares with her daughter, the stress of doing so curls back around and knots her own love all the more.

I'm sorry, this may be awkwardly-phrased. I promise you, I'm doing the best I can. It's not always easy to explain what it is I do. Aunty Celestia says that, as an alicorn, I have talents that transcend our conventional understanding of magic, and as such, they also tend to transcend language. Basically what I need you to understand is that spreading love is different than conjuring love, summoning feelings out of nothingness and forcing them onto ponies who never had them before. This would be monstrous of me, if true, and I can thankfully report that it is not. Nor do I grow love, like a gardener tending to seeds. The image is much less terrible, but equally incorrect.

The truth is, ultimately, that I am a very small pony standing beside a wide, clear, powerful river, poking into its wild depths with a stick. Love is beyond mastery. It is a thing far too big, too pure, too strong, for any one pony to claim or control as her own. What I can do is... nudge it a bit. I can find places where anxiety and fear have thrown up rocks in love's path, and when I find them, I can smooth them out and let love flow more easily. I can help ponies remember a love that they thought was lost, or rekindle a love that has always been in their hearts, dulled by age and time. All my aspirations toward ambassadorship aside, this is my job. It is my destiny. It is what I was made to do.

With a gentle illumination of my horn, I reach out and begin combing at the worst of the mats and tangles as an image of Posey's hurt begins to crystallize.

"The success of your bathhouse means a lot to you," I say. And then I stop and wait for the conversation to continue, because it is the polite thing to do. The truth is, I've already seen more of the picture than I let on, having read it in the patterns of her love like a fortune-teller studying leftover tea.

"Well, yes," she says, shyly, sniffling away her tears.

My brain races, reveling in the exhausting richness of my vision. Posey is a single dam, that much is clear. The father of Posey's little pegasus daughter is notably absent from her love, except perhaps as a threadbare and bruise-colored patch along one edge that I haven't yet identified. Posey's daughter is her everything...

"Also, your daughter," I blurt out. "You obviously love her very much."

Posey smiles. "She's a very special little filly."

Yes yes yes, I think, in a panicked staccato. She's obviously special to you. The paths positively shine. But there's still something hurt in it, a toothache at the core of her love, something dark-withered-broken, and my probing it feels like chewing on a ball of tinfoil.

Reeling in small desperation, I continue to babble on. "Posey, I'm sorry if I'm talking too much, or maybe, asking things that make you uncomfortable, but you've done me a great service tonight. If I can repay you in any way by lending you a shoulder or an ear, I'd be honored to be of service."

It's good. It's a very proper, princessy sort of thing to say. For the sake of my own dignity I hope she cannot hear the subtext of me silently begging her to tell me about the hurting part. Honestly, it's not even compassion at this point; the pain is beginning to twist at my own gut as well. I've let myself get too close. Caution, caution...

Posey scrunches her muzzle. "I just wish..."

"Yes?" I practically shout.

"Um," she says. "I just... sometimes I feel like the most terrible mother a little pegasus filly could ask for."

I inhale, sharply. Yes. This is it. "Posey, I'm sure you're a fine dam."

"I'm not fine," Posey insists. "My daughter should already be flying by now, but I haven't the faintest idea of how to start teaching her. She spends every day with me in the bathhouse, hardly stepping a hoof outside, and that's just terrible for her, but what am I supposed to do? If I let her wander too far she'll stumble and fall through a gap in the clouds, and I don't have a single feather to save her with!"

"Oh, Posey," I breathe.

"I know it's terrible. I know I'm planting the seeds of the height-fear in her. But what can I do? There are camps where pegasus fillies learn how to fly fast and well, but the thought of her going to one of those places eats me up with fear. What if... what if she gets knocked off a cloud by a more air-friendly foal and nopony notices until it is too late?"

"I don't know," I say. "I've read about flight camps, but I've never seen one with my own eyes. One would hope they would have safety precautions in place?"

"One would hope." Posey looks downcast, dragging one hooftip across the floorboards. "In any case, it's nothing I need to worry about yet. Flight camp isn't really in my budget right now. But she's eventually going to need experiences I just can't give her, in order for her to grow up to be a good strong pegasus mare. Sooner, rather than later."

She shrugs, then, looking up at me again. "So, yes. My business means a lot to me. I hope my little bathhouse will eventually be—well, not a sensation, exactly, because that would mean crowds of ponies clamoring for my services and the thought of that scares me too—but maybe, um, a sort of modest success. Maybe. Just enough to help my little filly to become a good, strong, sky-loving pegasus. The kind her mother isn't."

Posey's emotion washes over me in waves, and it is a little much for me to bear in my already-heightened state. I tremble for a moment, overcome. Frankly, I want to curl into a bashful little ball for a while at the memory of a life filled with petty little princess problems that I haven't faced with even a tenth of Posey's bravery. Then, I relax, the glow leaving my vision.

"Posey, I know this may seem like small comfort right now, but I am absolutely positive that it will all turn out just fine. Do you believe me?"

"I want to," she says, not meeting my gaze. "I really do."

I nod. "Well, then. My sincerest apologies for the interruption. We may continue, if and whenever you like."

Posey seems to summon her courage as I settle myself back into the chair, leaning my muzzle and forelock heavily into the padding. There is a brief moment of uncomfortable anticipation where I wonder if my hostess is too ejected from the moment to continue, but my fears are put to rest as I feel Posey's hooves upon my back. At that moment, that tension melts away along with a whole crowd of others.

I cannot tell you the last time I had a proper massage. Aunty, for all her odd and occasional decadences, doesn't keep a masseuse on staff, preferring instead to visit an odd, exclusive, secretive little place in Canterlot Town when she gets a mind to. I've never been there, myself; she is so very hush-hush about it that I always figured asking questions was bad form. And though I cannot tell you how long it's been, the moment that Posey's warm, solid hooves touch my back, the answer immediately becomes "too long."

It hurts, at first. Air hisses between my teeth as her patient, probing kneads encounter knot after knot. But she does not shy away from my reaction, and her hooves never lose contact with my coat. Sharp pain gradually dulls, then releases altogether as her hooves work my sore points, again and again.

"Oh, my," says Posey. "This must have been building up for quite some time."

"Ever since leaving Reduit," I say, without really planning to.

"I'm not even sure where that is," says Posey, working out the kinks in the thick, heavy muscles supporting my wings. Seemingly out of my conscious control, my wings spread and droop, lolling beneath the masseuse's ministrations. My eyes go half-lidded with contentment. "Was that where you were born?"

"Mm hm," I hum, momentarily unable to form coherent words. "Little... mmm. Little earth pony village overlooking the North Lunar Ocean." My eyes fall all the way shut.

Then they fly open again at the feeling of teeth against my neck.

Posey is nibbling me, working her teeth slowly up and down my neck. The sensation is electric, and yet, profoundly soothing, and it causes memories of my fillyhood to come rushing back to me. Not of the Abbey; this is never something the Sisters would ever have dared do to their little Princess-Goddess. But there were other ponies in my life, ponies who would sometimes curl up with me for a little bonding when the lessons got a bit long...

"This... this is really nice," I say.

Posey lifts her muzzle from my neck, delicately fishing a stray pink hair from my coat away from her lips. The maneuver is, frankly, adorable. "Oh, good. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I thought since you were raised with earth ponies you might appreciate a traditional tooth-grooming."

"See, funniest thing. It wasn't the earth ponies I was raised with. It was a unicorn, my teacher. She said she wanted to nurture all three parts of me, not just the unicorn part, so she bought a book on earth pony social rituals from a traveling peddler. We fell in love with it the moment we tried it."

"She sounds like an interesting mare."

"Absolutely. She taught me about philosophy and science and history and had all sorts of stories and parables and crazy predictions about what my life was going to be like. There was one time she informed me, in no uncertain terms, that when I found somepony who could answer the question of what love is, I'd find the pony I was meant... to..."

My eyes go wide. I'd... made assumptions, hadn't I? I'd secretly hoped that part of the unconditional triumph of my first diplomatic post here in Cloudsdale would involve finding my One True Love, at last. I had a picture of him in my head: a warm, sensitive creature, gentle, maybe a little shy, somepony who would lift me up on my bad days and help me to discover new wells of emotion in myself. And I had wondered where and how I was going to meet him.

I hadn't even considered it might not be a "him" at all...

All sense of perspective instantly leaves me. My brain spins. Is it possible?

Oh, my...

I mean, I know fillyfoolery exists, in much the same way I know that wild wolves have an amazingly complex social structure. I love that it's there, and it's fascinating to watch and learn about, but it's something that goes on in an entirely different plane. And yes, I've admired other mares' appearances objectively, but...

I mean, could I possibly be...?

Blood rushes to my head. I cannot perceive myself tensing up, but Posey does. She lowers her muzzle down close.

"Everything all right down there?"

"Yes! It's... fine, Posey, just fine." I take a deep breath. "Strange question, Posey—if I were to ask you what the meaning of love was, what would you tell me?"

Posey blinks. "I—I'm sorry, ma'am? What kind of thing are you looking for?"

"Humor me. I just want to hear what you'd say." My tone is artificially easy, which is difficult since I'm practically holding my breath.

Posey gives an adorable little frown. Then she begins moving her hooves once more, in slow, calming patterns. After a moment lost in thought, she speaks.

"I don't think there's just one meaning of love. Ma'am. If it pleases you."

"Your honest answer pleases me more than anything, Posey." I am tight with anticipation.

"All right, then," says Posey. "I've had my share of 'lovers,' but I'm not sure it's ever actually been 'love.' When I think about... um, the stallions in my life, I always seem to find ponies who are dangerous. I don't... I don't know why that is. Certainly I don't like danger. You may not realize it, but I'm actually kind of a timid pony. And while a dangerous pegasus can be fun for a little while, they always eventually leave, and you never know when that's going to be." She shrugs. "It's so hard to hold a pegasus down, to get them to show a little loyalty. So maybe if I had to imagine a pony I could really love, it'd be somepony nice, and predictable, and devoted, and not at all scary."

"Can you do something for me? Can you make it a single word? 'Love is...'?"

Posey thinks. "Safety," she says.

I close my eyes, and release my breath.

"Thank you, Posey," I say. "That's exactly what I wanted you to do."

"I didn't say the right thing," says Posey, shrinking. "Whatever it was you wanted me to say, I didn't say it."

"Well, you didn't say the thing. It's not wrong, or right. Sometimes I think half the reason my teacher gave me that prediction is so that I would go around asking everypony what love is and hearing all the different things they have to say. So on that front, you were an unequivocal success."

"If I'd given the answer you're looking for," Posey asks, "what would it mean?"

I hesitate, almost tell her, and then the moment is lost.

"Never mind. It's silly."

Posey nods. "Well, you sound a little disappointed, but you're certainly more relaxed. Shall we continue with a little preening?"

"Posey," I say, "that sounds like heaven."