• Published 29th Nov 2015
  • 5,126 Views, 302 Comments

The Twilight Years - Crimmar



Short stories about Twilight's and Raegdan's life in the years before the events of The Lunar Guardsman

  • ...
28
 302
 5,126

It waps long into the night

Celestia crept into the room as quietly as possible, even as she cast silence spells as soon as she entered. She still stepped lightly on the thick carpets as she made her way to the bed. She stood over it for a while, drinking in the sight like a pony left in the desert would do with water.

Twilight had one of her pillows in between her legs, hugging it as she slept, resting her head on it. There was a small stain on the pillow, right underneath her mouth. Celestia’s magic picked a soft handkerchief and wiped the drool from her muzzle before gently guiding her mouth close.

A long breath in, a slow breath out, her tiny body barely moving. Celestia watched, smiling, feeling like she was the one who was getting the real rest and not the little filly on the bed. She lifted the blankets a little higher, and placed a soft kiss over Twilight’s brow.

Little Spike was sleeping in his own bed right next to her. That small, adorable basket of his. Celestia spotted a small shiny fragment and picked up the remains of the gem. Spike might be able to chew many hard gems, but his scales were not hard enough yet to stop him from scratching himself on them.

She threw away the crumbs of the baby dragon’s night snack, making a note to speak to him about this fattening habit of his. Celestia carefully wrapped him back in his blanket, making sure to tuck the blanket under his tail so he wouldn’t kick it off as easily. Job done, and with Spike ready to continue his dreams much warmer, she kissed his little head as well.

The little dragon slightly moved in his sleep, mumbling something that started with an -m. Celestia’s heart felt like breaking at the pressure of trying to contain the love she had for these two children.

She moved back to the door, unable to stop herself from stealing glances at her wards. She took one last long look at their peaceful faces, rearranged the silence spells to block them from hearing any sounds coming from the outside, and walked out.

One of Raegdan’s eyes flicked open as the door opened, only to close when he saw it was her again. Then he continued his sleep as he half laid on the cold corridor floor, his back supported by the wall next to Twilight and Spike’s door.

Celestia ignored him for now. Her golden magic seeked out the object that she hid at the corner of the corridor, out of Raegdan’s sight. A long, thick branch, with many smaller ones jutting out of it, all of them with their leaves still fresh and hanging on them. It levitated towards her like a small tree flying on a golden cloud.

She had made use of a sturdy piece of cord she had found to get around Raegdan’s magic immunity and nullification. As useful as it had proved, more often than not it was more trouble than it was worth. Like now. If she didn’t do like she did now she would have turned every tree in her gardens into naked stumps by the need to replace her stick with each strike.

The loop went around her fetlock and she tightened it a little so she could have a firm grip. This would do. In her experience, full branches like that didn’t hurt as much as a single long one, but it was the best way to get her point across the target of her ire. He wouldn’t mind getting pelted with rocks, but the more of them she used the better he would understand she disapproved. Words after all rarely stuck unless they underwent the physical stage first.

Everytime she tried to tell him off without using violence he would act like it didn’t matter since there was no punishment. Honestly, it was more like she owned a dog sometimes.

Now it was time to rub his face into the carpet where he did his dirty business. She flexed her hoof.

The leaf-covered branch swished through the air with the sound of a tree in a tornado’s path.

You crazy mare, what the hell are you doing now?

“Me? Me? What am ‘I’ doing? You! Safety! Hazard!” she shouted, enunciating each word by bringing forested wrath upon his sorry back. She had to be careful after all to not really, actually hurt him. Last thing she wanted was to put his eye out. “You dropped your stupid weapons out on the street!”

“So, ow, what? Look, I didn’t want -for heaven’s sake, stop- Twilight to see them!” He cowered against the wall, bringing up his leg to protect himself before she started doing upwards swings.

“Kids found them! They could have gotten hurt!” Wap, wap, wapwapwapwapwap!

“Okay, okay, fine! I’m sorry, alright? They didn’t get hurt anyway, did they?”

Celestia stopped, her face flushed red from the exertion. Raegdan’s was pretty much as red as hers was, but not because he was getting tired nor because he felt ashamed. She took a deep breath, and said, as peacefully as she could.

“I believe I have failed to make my point and meaning clear. Let me try again.”

Wapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwap…

Twilight only wasted a second peeking through the door before closing the door again and getting back to her warm bed.

Spike barely opened his eyes as he felt his big sister climbing into the bed. “I thought you wanted to get to the library early,” Spike said, pulling the blanket tighter around him.

“They’re having an argument outside,” Twilight simply said. She hugged mister pillow again, not feeling any real disappointment that her morning library session would be delayed a little.

Spike sniffed the air. “Oh. That’s why I smelled sap. Who’s winning?”

“Who do you think?


“...And you will then explain yourself to Cadance! The poor girl can’t take much more of your perverted joke. Her eye trembling is almost a tic now!”

“You were in it! You bloody, damned cow of a mare, you were laughing your fat ass off just days ago when she last-”

Wapwapwapwapwap.

“Just because you corrupted me doesn’t mean that your responsibility is lessened. Also, taking responsibility of my own fault is part of your punishment.”

“Isn’t that fucking convenient-”

Wapwapwapwapwap.

Raegdan spit out a few leaves. “Fucking hell, fine! I’ll do-”

Cadance appeared around the corner. “Aunt Celestia? Raegdan? what are you doing?”

Celestia balked for a moment, and Raegdan grabbed the chance. “Well, after a while the vanilla stuff gets boring, so you have to start getting kinky, so she’s punishing me like the bad boy that I-”

A last few blue magic sparks faded from the space that Cadance occupied just a second ago. Celestia straightened her ears, and right on cue, she could hear her niece’s wails of terror and utter regret.

“I’ll tell her the truth after breakfast. Are we done now?" Raegdan spat.

Wapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwapwap…