• Published 29th Nov 2015
  • 5,311 Views, 390 Comments

To Serve In Hell - CoffeeMinion



Nightmare Moon has brought oppression and eternal darkness to Equestria, but Rarity and Rainbow Dash may yet risk prominent positions in her service to fight for a better world...

  • ...
19
 390
 5,311

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7: To Canterlot

Rarity watched the moonlit path roll by outside the carriage windows. She leaned a bit closer, studying the edge of that path, as well as the drop-off from their vantage point high up in the Canterlot mountains. The rhythmic sound of hooves on dirt and the gentle jostling of the carriage were all that intruded on her reverie… except for the occasional groaning of Sassy, who still held a hoof up to her head from time to time.

“It defies belief that I could’ve tripped and hit my head again,” Sassy said for at least the third time.

Rarity sighed. “Would you prefer if I told you you were attacked by a shadowy assailant who held you at knifepoint and forced me to agree to his terms in order to save your life?”

Sassy rolled her eyes. “Concussions and cushions, is that your best attempt at humor?”

“If you think you can do better, then by all means, knock yourself out,” Rarity muttered. But Sassy merely grumbled in response.

In time, Rarity turned her head and looked out the other window, away from the drop-off. She watched as they rolled past a wooded grove that encircled several ruined houses. Now, with their leaves bare and their bark flaking, the trees looked more like skeletal giants reaching down to devour the former homes. The eeriness was only amplified by the group of thestrals in full armor who kept watch from the buildings that remained structurally sound.

“I believe that is the last checkpoint,” Rarity said.

“Good.” Sassy fidgeted with her hooves. “The sooner we can speak with my informant, the sooner we can wrap this up and head back to the castle.”

“And… you are certain we should not try for a more stealthy approach?”

Sassy gave her a flat look. “We are senior representatives of our Mistress. Why should we not make ourselves known? Let those who oppose order tremble before us.”

Their carriage hit a bump that jostled Rarity out of her seat. She scrambled back up, then looked out the window again, this time seeing that they were in clear view of Canterlot proper. The city’s golden gates and white stone walls still struck an impressive figure in spite of the eternal gloom cloaking them. And yet, as Rarity’s gaze lingered, she noticed signs of wear and cracking in the stone itself, and bits of tarnish on the shining gates. The thought intruded that it was as if they felt the same wear on their silent souls as endless night had brought upon the ponies they kept out, or in.

As a filly, Rarity had imagined Canterlot to be a shining place of light, elegance, and limitless opportunity. But as the gates were opened before them, and the carriage rolled through, Rarity saw only shadowy streets filled with low, hunched figures, who were engaged in the unsavory business of eking out a living in the crumbling slums of the city’s outskirts.

As much as the sight of those city-ponies raised her hackles, what truly wormed its way into her consciousness was the city’s smell—unkempt, fetid, and at times eye-watering in its pungency.

“Is this the order we would seek to fight for?” Rarity asked under her breath.

“The realities of the Lower City are not lost on me,” Sassy said. “I merely think it better to accept that this is how things are now, rather than to dally about with brigands, thieves, and liars, in the vain hope that it could be changed.”

Rarity scoffed. “The connections I’ve made have helped to better everypony’s life within the castle, including—dare I mention it—your own. And given your role in the Mistress’ service, did you never think to investigate them?”

Sassy narrowed her eyes. “You think I didn’t? My work has been slow going, but that hasn’t been for lack of effort on the part of my own connections.” She looked back out the window. “Still, it hardly matters what I think of this, or of the deluded souls who feel true chaos would be better. And for what it’s worth, at least the Upper City hasn’t suffered this great of a decline.”

“Indeed not, but the Lower City always leaves me feeling that something essential has been lost under the Mistress’ rule. Whether that be care for the poor, or simple hope, I cannot say.”

Sassy sat quietly for a moment, looking pensive. “You seem almost eager to say these treasonous things, now that you and I know how the Mistress views both of us. Perhaps you should be mindful of what might come after we return, and re-learn how to mind your tongue.”

“I tire of hiding things,” Rarity said, sighing. “The secrets, and the lies… I use them as I must, to do the things I must. But I have no fondness for them.”

Sassy considered this for a moment before speaking: “Then perhaps there is something redeeming about you after all.” Rarity raised an eyebrow, and so Sassy continued: “I cannot stomach all the falsehoods ponies perpetrate in the name of one cause or another. I will not sugarcoat my view of this world, but I choose not to speak of it, and to instead focus on doing what I can.”

“And what is it, exactly, that you think you do?”

Sassy raised her head, and managed to look haughty despite a voice that faltered somewhat: “I serve a purpose that is greater than myself. By serving Nightmare Moon, I serve the cause of order, and I hold back the anarchy that would sweep this land clean, if we but let it.”

Rarity felt discomfort at Sassy’s words. She took a deep, steadying breath. “Then if I may be honest with you once again, I think this plan of making a bold entrance might backfire. Whoever wrote that letter must either be delusional, or extremely well-connected, if they seek to make this ‘Underground Sun’ a reality. A stealthy visit to your informants would allow us to learn what we can and formulate our next steps, before somepony else might have the chance to intervene.”

“Nobly argued, though I can’t help but think your true motivation might be to arrange a stealthy dalliance between yourself and Lord Rich.” Sassy followed her statement with a sneer.

“You think less of ponies for seeking comfort in a time like this?” Rarity looked back out the window. “Surely you must understand if I care about more than just order? More than service, even, if I cannot honestly say my service helps the lives of those I love?”

They sat in silence as the carriage continued rocking its way down several more of the dingy city blocks. But then, eventually, Sassy raised a forehoof and clopped it against the side of the carriage.

“Driver, stop!” she called. Then as he complied, Sassy glanced out the window. “You may be right about drawing undue attention, much as I hate to admit it. We’re still a ways out from a front that one of my informants uses, but if you can get there stealthily—as you suggest—then I’ll consent to letting you handle the initial meeting with her.”

“That seems… inconsistent with your stated level of trust in me,” Rarity said slowly.

“Not at all,” Sassy said, giving her an unsettling grin. “My informant is a dangerous mare indeed, as well as a personal friend from my fashion days. I’m not sure where she had her training, but I’ve seen her in action once or twice, and her prowess is remarkable. Even if you brought a coterie of Resistance thugs to apprehend her, or to press her for information, I doubt that any would survive.”

“Indeed?” Rarity raised an eyebrow. “And just where am I to find this mare of mystery?”

“A sweet shop, near the corner of Sixth and Main. And while you’re at it, bring me back a few of the wrapped chocolate candies that she specializes in… and a cupcake.”

PreviousChapters Next