• Published 30th Nov 2015
  • 3,510 Views, 27 Comments

Rara, Rarara - Masterweaver



Rarity has to ask AJ about a habit she's seen. For where nicknames are concerned, AJ is quite keen!

  • ...
11
 27
 3,510

Oh, La, Oh Lala

"Applejack, oh Applejack, I've got a question here. It's something that's been pestering me for quite a bit my dear."

"Well shoot, Rares, ya'll feel free to ask right away! Celestia knows I'm in a great mood today!"

"It's a little thing I've noticed, about the way you talk. Now don't give me that look, it doesn't make me balk! I'm talking about your habit of shortening our names. Is there a reason for that? Or are you just playing games?"

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, the lights of the stage shone bright. The answer that she wanted? She'd surly get it tonight!

"Now Rares, Ah can't say Ah rightly know what you mean."

"Your eyes are darting left and right--AJ please come clean!"

"Alright, alright, ya got me, Ah guess I can explain. Sit your tail down right there, it ain't so cut and plain!"

"Very well, darling, you can see that I have sat. Now on with your little story, my eyes are wide and rapt!"

"Ah suppose it all started far and way back when, after mah world took a right crazy spin...."

}{ }{ }{

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, the lights of our barn shone bright. The home Ah always wanted? Ah thought Ah'd get it that night!

Ah'd just come from Manehattan, followin' that rainbow back home, and with mah brand new cutie mark Ah didn't want to roam. But tha time Ah spent with them high-class fools had really taken mah voice: Ah was formal and polite with mah words as though Ah had no choice! Ol' Macintosh didn't know how ta act, with his sis acting tosh; Granny Smith, Ah'm pretty sure, thought Ah was actin' too posh. Ma and Pa, well bless them both, weren't around to hear me speak, and mah lil' sis Apple Bloom couldn't do more than squeak.

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, the kitchen lamplight shone bright. Granny Smith and Macintosh made a decision that night!

They shipped me off to a place where earth pony foals frolic and play: Friendship camp, it was called, and so Ah was sent on my way. Oh we learned so many things, how to rope and swim and craft--though if Ah'm honest, at first Ah thought it was all rather daft.

But then she came, found me as Ah pouted under a tree: Coloratura, pretty lil' filly, wanted to play with me!

At first Ah acted like a lady, habits die hard ya know? But Coloratura, she could see that wasn't how Ah should go.

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, and the light waking me was bright. Coloratura came to mah tent and pulled me out that night.

She asked why Ah was actin' in a way that I seemed ta be; to her eyes Ah just wasn't comfertable bein' plain ol' me. Ah didn't understand what she said, o' course, but on thinkin' what she said, Ah realized exactly what kind o' thoughts were goin' through mah head. Mah heart was in tha farm, but mah mind in Manehattan lay; with two conflictin' selves mah words would seem ta stray! Ah thanked Coloratura for bringing that to mah eyes, and we lay on our backs as we watched the twinklin' dark night skies.

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, and mah inner self felt bright. Ah resolved to become whole and change mah act that night.

Of course nothin' comes easy, you and Ah both know it's true, but Coloratura was always there ta try and help me through. Her own name, though, it was so long, and fancy as can be; if e'er Ah were ta speak it, I'd become Manehattan me! So desperate Ah was to change, ta bring that to an end, that very soon twas Rara Ah called mah newfound friend. And that, in part, helped me out, though she liked it as well; tha smile that came to her face was how Ah could tell.

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, and all tha world was right. Alas, one day camp ended, and we left each other that night.

And so Ah returned to tha farm, vowin' ta write her soon; in fact mah first letter was sent to post at noon. So once a week Ah'd write, and of course she'd write me back, and in those early days they helped keep me on track. Ah started calling my brother Mac, without a thought; and Ah enjoyed it when Ah saw the small smile it brought. As Ah spread out mah heart and mind, and heard every new name, Ah treated each and all mah friends with shortening just tha same.

}{ }{ }{

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, the lights of the stage shone bright. And sitting on the grass, two ponies shared the night.

"So, Rares, ya see, when Ah call ya that, it's comin' from tha heart. It's a way of sayin' that in mah life you play an important part."

"Oh Applejack, that's all so sweet! I truly did not see! You've no idea how that gesture means to much to me."

"Heh, well now you know, and Ah hope ya'll don't mind."

"Not at all, my fine mare, your heart is truly kind. But understand, we have sisters, younglings we must keep. I believe we must find them, it's past time for them to sleep."

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, the lights of the stage shone bright. Rarity and Applejack felt their hearts warm that night.

"Though," said Rarity as she stood, "there's one thing I don't get yet. I don't mean to come across as nosey, though I do I'll bet."

"Rarity," said Applejack, stretching as she stood. "Ah've got a hunch your question is gonna be quite good."

"Why is it that you and I are speaking now in rhyme? Not that it's not lovely, but why now at this time?"

"If Ah had to venture a guess upon the rocks, Ah'd point at Pinkie there and her shining boombox."

The crickets chirped, the stars glistened, the lights of the stage shone bright--And hefting my music with me, I RAN INTO THE NIGHT!

Comments ( 27 )
PiMan #1 · Nov 30th, 2015 · · 8 ·

This could have been interesting but it was ruined by your choice of style.

I agree it had a nice thought behind it but unless its suppose to be a song or poem rhyming just kills it for me :ajsmug: Honest Truth

Well somebody decided to go Dr. Seues for this one. It's a nice story, but next time you rhyme, please put in poem form.

I always love a good rhyme, but I wish this story had a consistent meter. But the story is still good, and I enjoyed it.

Okay it took me like five or six lines to figure out that the dialogue was supposed to rhyme, :applejackconfused:

Once I figured that out it was much easier to enjoy, :twilightsmile:

This tale that you've laid out for us is simply out of sight. A pleasure for my eyes to read. although it's late at night.
To bring some clearer credence to our Apple mare's intents! To sway those silly dissidents who might still ride the fence
Of friendship true, of friendship bold, 'tween farmer and pop star. Their kinship will ring loud and true to ponies near and far!
A nickname given out may seem innocuous until...our hatted damsel lets us know it's not run-of-the-mill.
But not just Rara earns that place within fair AJ's heart! Each pony that improves her life adds to her work of art.
Be Rares or Dash, be Twi or Mac, the shortening does spread, to each and every loved one held close to fair AJ's head.
With question answered quite succinct, the dresshorse finds a smile! To know her worth in AJ's heart will last her quite a while.
So once again, I give you thanks for this fine rhythmic tale. Though I cannot be shocked; to please, your horsewords rarely fail.

It's a shame this is getting so many negative comments, I thought it had real emotional impact. Yeah the ryming took a bit of getting used to, but in the end I kind of liked it.

This is the first time I've heard someone other than Zecora rhyme.

Rah rah, ah ah ah! Ro mah ro mah mah! Gaga ooh la la! Want your bad romance!

Thats what the title made me think of

Come on i want your revenge, you and me we can write a bad romance (Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh! Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!) We can write a bad romance!

This is the first I've read a rhyme fic that wasn't a poem, song, etc.

Amazing writing there :twilightsmile:

A lovely bit of headcanon with a novel spin. The rhyming works well for the vast majority of the time. I quite enjoyed this. Thank you for it.

Huh! I like it! The rhymes are alright, with a bit of a twist. I hope you didn't hurt your wrist. Not too many stanzas that I must admit, that to make it coherent must take mental grit. Funny how thinking of a rhyme seems to spread it, just like this time. Ah well, I guess it's off to bed with me so says my body, it does decree.

they rhyming kills what should be a good story

I like the story, I like the rhymes! I do find it quite sublime! Not a thing most writers do ( I think) in their stories, but I think within this story, it fits quite perfectly. A tale weaved beautifully, with its own unique quirk; a tale from the heart, a true honest artwork.

And the grinch's heart grew three sizes that day...

I don't understand what happened in this story. With the rhyming and the southern drawl, I got completely lost. Why does she give them nicknames? What happened at camp? What did Coloratura understand about her?

Dr. Seuss would be so proud...

:derpytongue2: Cute little story. I liked it!

It took me a while to realize it was rhyming. :twilightblush: My mistake!

Nue

STOP! BEFORE READING THIS YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS!!

The story will be infinitely better :pinkiehappy:

I most definitely didn't expect poetry when I made the decision to read this, but I'm so glad I read it. This was an instant favorite! :yay:

I want to read it but I can't cause the rhyming is pissing me off to much.:fluttershbad:

Yeah the rhyming was kind of out of left field and unnecessary. Not to mention out of character. And inconsistent with the story... She's talking about trying to get away from hoity toity Manehattan hipster ways, not resurrect them.

Applejack: ...Well, it's a fine story, Zecora.

Zecora: Thank you, my orange friend.

Applejack: ...But did you mean to write it in the way that y'talk?

Zecora: ...

The title keeps reminding me of Rasputin.
Rah! Rah! Rasputin!

that musta been a task to write
peeps say writing for Zecora is a pain but you did a whole fic

Did not expect that explanatory ending! Nice!

Cool format and explanation of the nicknaming, too!

A funny and cute little tale of how AJ shows her respect for other ponies.

The rhyming while a bit off at times was still cool. Kinda like Dr Suess.

I especially like the ending with Pinkie running off using the repetitive phrase use throughout the story.

Login or register to comment